BFZ - Drowner of Hope

Eh, I actually like the promo art more. You get more of the thalassophobic feel with Jedruszek's, but the ocean in the art is so dark that it drowns out the Eldrazi itself. The promo gives more of a feeling of "unstoppable monster coming to end you."

I can totally understand wanting to emphasise the Eldrazi in the card art, but Jedruszek's is just the better art piece overall for me with that gorgeous palette and perspective. I could see it in a contemporary art gallery and no-one would bat an eye.

I like Zapata's, but it's no more than a cool monster art really. No real nuance to it that separates it from the other similar Eldrazi arts. Zapata's a very showy artist. I love his Enlightened Ascetic art in Origins. Probably one of the best arts in the set. When his hyperrealist thing doesn't quite work out though, his style can look a bit weird.

I can totally understand wanting to emphasise the Eldrazi in the card art, but Jedruszek's is just the better art piece overall for me with that gorgeous palette and perspective. I could see it in a contemporary art gallery and no-one would bat an eye.

I like Zapata's, but it's no more than a cool monster art really. No real nuance to it that separates it from the other similar Eldrazi arts. Zapata's a very showy artist. I love his Enlightened Ascetic art in Origins. Probably one of the best arts in the set. When his hyperrealist thing doesn't quite work out though, his style can look a bit weird.

To each his own. I think Jedruszek's would work better on a noncreature card, personally: a good creature card needs to show off the creature, or else we get another Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh. And it could just be the faux foiling that makes Zapata's look off.

EDIT: Anyways, thoughts on the actual card! Limiting sacrifice to Eldrazi Scions killed any playability this card has. I wouldn't have minded if it were any colorless creature, or hell, just any Eldrazi. Body's very respectable, though: 7/7 split up for 6 isn't terrible.

I really like the design on the aquatic Eldrazi. Look very different from the others and they feel like they would be at home in the water.

I prefer the promo because it shows off the creature better, but I do agree it doesn't have the unique feel that the normal version has.

Card seems nuts in limited. 5/5 for 6 is huge and it comes with two 1/1s. Being able to tap things down in a format of giants is also going to be very powerful since while a decent number of creatures are likely to be bigger than this you can still get around them. Plus unlike a lot of tappers your only limit is the number of Scions you have. Does raise the question of how easy it will be to get them, but I can't see it being that much harder than the Spawns were.

Archived