Spore Grox Cards

Níðhöggr

Heheh. I've played Spore for a long while so this is nice to see.

Anyway, there are a lot of cards so I've only skimmed through them, however, there are a few that take my interest:

The Grox. In Spore, the individual Grox creatures are very weak: if you ally them and get one in your team, it will be next to useless in an adventure. While 1500 ATK isn't bad, I personally feel it doesn't portray this well enough, especially as they are stronger than their vehicles! I would reduce the ATK and DEF to at least 1000 each.

Another thing to mention is the Groxs' supposed reliance on Tier-0 Planets. While you have T-0 Battlefield to represent this, I think the Grox creatures (not the vehicles) should have some kind some kind of negative effect if you do not control T-0 Battlefield. This would probably be be best represented by destroying/banishing it, although a simple attack loss, or an inability to attack might be enough.

In return for these downsides, I think there should be some more purpose in using them. They are, after all, what the whole Grox Empire is built on, so they should play an important role in your archetype. An interesting route could be giving them the ability to be equipped to the Grox vehicles as 'pilots', giving them an ATK boost or protection of some sort. Maybe you could have them act as searchers for your other Grox or for T-0 Battlefield? These are just suggestions, although they need some way to be useful, especially if you weaken them like I suggested.

Grox Grumbler. I am not a fan of this card due to how generic it is. It is essentially an Upstart Goblin that reveals the card instead of giving your opponent 1000 LP, and also has the ability to deal a small amount of damage. As a monster, it is also very easy to reuse, such as with Dark Eruption. I would personally give it a cost to make it non-generic, such as banishing a "Grox" monster from your Graveyard.

Cyber Donation is essentially a Quick-Play Monster Reborn for Machine-Types. The only real downside is that you need to control a Machine-Type, and that isn't at all difficult. I would personally make it destroy the monster on the field instead of just reducing its ATK and remove the ATK increase. This would still make it a nice way to 'swap' 1 Machine with another, but should make it less abusable.

Electrifying Measures is very, very, weak. By discarding 4 cards, you are burning both you and your opponent for 800. Poison of the Old Man can do the same thing without discarding, doesn't hurt you, is a Quick-Play and can heal you instead if you need it. I personally would completely rework the card, possibly making it something like this:

"Discard any number of "Grox" cards; until the end of this turn, negate the effects of monsters your opponent controls up to the number of cards discarded, also they lose 100 ATK and DEF for each card discarded to activate this effect. If any of those monsters is destroyed by battle with a Machine-Type monster, inflict 600 damage to your opponent."

Overall, I like them. Their playstyle is an interesting mix of swarm and burn, which works with them being based off Grox.

Also, I laughed when I saw the Xhodocto, because of http://spore.wikia.com/wiki/Fiction:Ayrai'Shikua. I presume you based it of these?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived