[Sakura 26K] Blazestar Dragon

Flash Flyer - Sakura

el0q1X6.jpg

1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
You can only use the (2) effect of "Blazestar Dragon" once per turn.
(1) When this card is Special Summoned: You can target 1 monster on the field with equal or higher ATK than this card; destroy it.

(2) During either player's turn, if this card would be destroyed by an opponent's card effect: You can target this card; it cannot be destroyed by that card effect.

[spoiler=V1]

ZKf4Kx5.jpg

1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
You can only use the (1) and (2) effects of "Blazestar Dragon" each once per turn.
(1) During either player's turn, if this card would be destroyed by an opponent's card effect: You can negate its destruction.

(2) You can target 1 other monster on the field with equal or higher ATK than this card; destroy it. This card cannot attack the turn you activate this effect.

(3) If this card is destroyed: You can Special Summon 1 of the monsters used as Synchro Material (from your Graveyard).

If it's not obvious by now, I am using hybrid PSCT, meaning the OCG number system combined with standard PSCT.

It's to make writing multiple hard OPT less of a chore.

iU8EggM.png

Here we are, the 26,000 post milestone.

Remind me again how long I've been here...

Anyway, as standard, I make a card that fits the occasion; this time, it's a generic Level 7 Synchro.

First effect gives it protection from stuff like Mirror Force, Raigeki and such, but only once per turn (though you have the option of activating it).

It is still weak to Castel and other non-destructive removal, yes, but isn't that the case for nearly every monster in this game?

Initially, I gave this card permanent effect destruction protection (on the opponent's end) as a sort of counterpart to Yazi, but I opted against it due to it being able to blow up stuff + burn.

Second effect is kind of like Red Wyvern, although you can still trigger this again after the first time as opposed to being restricted to one use while it's face-up. However, it's still hard OPT, carries a Chaos Sorcerer-esque clause and targets the monster it's going to blow up.

Third effect floats when it gets killed, basically revive one of this card's materials if it goes.

----

Indeed, it's another Level 7 and the viable L7 pool is getting rather crowded, due to stuff like Black Rose Moonlight, Clear Wing and so on.

However, I designed this with the intention to make it appealing amongst all of them.

Then again, the 2600 ATK here was designed to make it a Dragon counterpart to Yazi.

(Also fits with the post marker)

iU8EggM.png

IMG Credit: http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/pad/images/a/a5/Pet1225.png/revision/latest?cb=20140319193702

(Again, picture is from Puzzles & Dragons. Yeah, I'm running out of suitable images lately. I tend not to use dA stuff due to things)

Anyway, CnC.

Reps will be given to those of you who give proper reviews.

The first effect is odd because you can't "negate a destruction": either you make the card itself indestructible (e.g. Spark Dragon), or negate the effect that would destroy the card (eg. Stardust Dragon).

For the last effect, you don't need the () for "from your Graveyard"; the () are only used for inherent summoning conditions (e.g. Cydra), not for effects. Also I found interesting that it doesn't target. Targeting is usually recommended to make effects a bit more fair by turning them more vulnerable (e.g. target something, then the opponent chains something to remove it from the grave before the effect resolves), but I guess this card can get away with it just fine.

That aside, this looks solid to me. The Synchro7 pool is sometimes difficult to support because it already has several nice options available (e.g. Yazi, the Black Roses, Clear Wing, Meteorburst) but, they way I see it, this offers something to the pool without being exactly outclassed by the rest, and that's good. Actually... it looks so good that I'm not sure if it's fair. I mean, this gets an OPT protection from effect destruction, can pop a bigger monster every turn, comes with a solid 2600 ATK for a Synchro7, and when the opponent successfully destroys it, it floats.

Maaaaybe it would be fine if the pop effect was 1-time only or on Synchro/Special-Summon, similar to either Moonlight Rose or the aforementioned Red Wyvern. And even then, it still has 3 effects, which I feel is a bit too much for a generic Synchro7; personally I would further water it down by scrapping the (3) effect.

I can probably get rid of the floater effect; otherwise this more/less turns into a clone of Yazi.

Technically, it is similar, comparing the effects.

As for its first effect, it's intended to negate the first instance of destruction that turn (so, more on the lines of Stardust Spark; I'll go and reword it).

Although I could just give it full-on destruction protection from the opponent like I intended, but that would mean the opponent either has to resort to Castel removing it or outright beating it up in battle. 2600 is still a sizable amount to get over in battle, and while Castel is common, it's not really a reason to make it destruction-immune.

For the second effect, I can have it trigger when it gets Special Summoned instead (although the attack lock will come off).

At least you can still pop something when it gets revived as opposed to making it restricted to its initial Synchro Summon.

Unlike Yazi, who blows up another monster you have to take down the opponent's, Blazestar just pops on its own.

----

Though yes, the Level 7 pool is pretty crowded now, and this does need to stand out.

Given how it functions, should be appealing for people to use alongside/in place of the other options.

Archived