[MtG] Jace, Vryn's Prodigy // Jace, Telepath Unbound

bury the year

g7St93i.jpg4oiFEjW.jpg

I'm not here to talk about this card's playability, YCM: I'm here to talk about its ceiling. We've now hit $85 on TCGPlayer mid. That's insane. Jace, the Mind Sculptor can be bought for cheaper. The only card I can think of that ever exhibited such a price spike in Standard was JtMS, hitting $100, and he's much better than this guy.

Thus, I'm curious as to when the crash is going to come. Day 1 of a new Standard season + an already hyped card that doesn't see nearly as significant play in other formats = massive buyouts, but how far will brat!Jace fall? He's just not that good outside of Standard: people have been testing him in Modern and Legacy, and afaik he's been failing those tests. Price memory on this sucker's gonna be nasty, though.

Place your bets, YCMers. Where do you see the future of our little blue friend here?

(I personally hope he stays high for a while: even though I don't own one or want to own one, his high value will push down the prices on other cards from Origins that I need.)

I can see him leveling off around 50$ then slowly dropping over time. The price surge is mostly due to rotation and tons of decks in the SCG open are using him as 4 ofs. I was pretty surprised when I saw his price tag hit 85$. Like you said though, the price memory on this is going to be stupid. It really shouldn't be this expensive.

It hit $85? O_0 Damn. The card is good, and can see some fringe modern play, but it should NOT be that expensive. I really wasn't planning on playing Blue in standard, but I'm certainly not going to now.

As for the crash, if he doesn't put up good results at the PT than I can't see his price holding there. If he has like 12 copies in the top 8 I can see it lasting a for a while though.

Also, I just checked TCG Player and its saying the mid is $72. What the hell is with the MTG price as of late. They seem to be fluctuating wildly. I knew rotation can make things swingy but this is outrageous.

At this point, I'm glad I only play EDH in real life and I'm glad I decided to go after the mana base last year when shocklands weren't expensive.

If I were to start building up my collection now, I'd be very unmotivated. Especially since the price of the dollar here in Brazil has doubled since 2 years ago. So not only did the price of the cards rise, the convertion to my currency is more expensive as well.

Lots of people thought jace and Nissa had potential. I don't think anyone expected Jace to reach this price though.

The big difference between Nissa and Jace is that Jace was being tested in eternal formats, and he's not entirely failing there: Nissa is a Standard-only 'walker. (Key word: entirely.) I think that's encouraging the price to keep going up by increasing demand. However, I think that was most people riding the Standard hype wave. The overwhelming percentage of demand for him is still coming out of that format, so once DTK/ORI rotates this time next year, Jace will drop - and I wouldn't be surprised if he drops fast.

Archived