Kings of the Mountains Old! (Pokemon Inspired Yu-Gi-Oh! Cards)

Sluggaholic

So, after making the "Penguin Rulers" archetype of monsters based off of Pokemon, I decided to make the whole group of Sinnoh Starters, one at a time. I may later move this to Advanced, and group them all together their, but for now, I'll keep them here. So, here's the next in line: Infernape and its prevolutions! The, erm, "Mountain Monkeys", I'm calling them.

Monsters: x3

5t1mu6w.jpg

"Mountain Monkey Child - Chimchar"

Effect - N/A - Beast-Warrior Type / Tuner

LORE: "Impetuous and silly, just like the fire on his behind, Chimchar will never let his spirits be dampened!"

1300 ATK/ 200 DEF

XuzDNmv.jpg

"Mountain Monkey Prince - Monferno"

Effect - N/A - Beast-Warrior Type 

LORE: "While slightly more serious, when the situation's just too much, you'll find Monferno laughing it up like he was still a child."

1700 ATK/ 200 DEF

YynHKKe.jpg

"Mountain Monkey Monarch - Infernape"

Effect - "Mountain Monkey Child - Chimchar" + "Mountain Monkey Prince - Monferno"

Must be Synchro Summoned and cannot be Special Summoned any other ways. This card gains 200 Attack for every FIRE Attribute Monster on the field (except this card). If this card attacks a Defense Position monster on the field: inflict piercing damage to your opponent. If this card inflicts Battle Damage to your opponent: this card gains 200 Attack. When this card is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard: Return its Synchro Material Monsters to the hand.
Beast-Warrior Type / Synchro
LORE: N/A
2700 ATK / 400 DEF

Spells: x5

xz5J713.jpg

"Mountain Hoot of Evolution!"
Normal Spell Card
Effect: Pay 2000 Life Points: Special Summon two FIRE Attribute Beast-Warrior-Type Monsters with different names from your Deck or Graveyard that are listed as Synchro Materials on a FIRE Attribute Synchro Monster. This Summon cannot be negated.

DDPPDHF.jpg

"Mountain Hoot of Family!"
Normal Spell Card
Effect: While you control a face-up "Mountain Monkey Monarch - Infernape", you can target the cards used for its Synchro Summon in the Graveyard: Special Summon those monsters. This Summon cannot be negated. You cannot Synchro Summon the turn you activate this card.

RiXZUP2.jpg

"Mach Punch"
Quick-Play Spell Card
Effect: While you control a face-up Attack Position "Mountain Monkey Monarch - Infernape", target one face-up Monster your opponent controls: Return that card to the hand, and if you do, deal damage to your opponent equal to half of "Mountain Monkey Monarch - Infernape"'s attack. "Mountain Monkey Monarch - Infernape"'s you control cannot attack until the end of the next turn.

8N0US6I.jpg

"Flare Blitz"
Normal Spell Card
Effect: If you control a "Mountain Monkey Monarch - Infernape": Destroy all monsters your opponent controls. "Mountain Monkey Monarch - Infernape" cannot attack the turn you activate this card. If you control a face-up "Mountain Monkey Child - Chimchar" and "Mountain Monkey Prince - Monferno", deal damage equal to the amount of cards you destroyed x400. If you do, destroy all monsters you control except "Mountain Monkey Monarch - Infernape" and take damage equal to the monsters destroyed by this effect x500.

6trgBEs.jpg

"Close Combat"
Quick-Play Spell Card
Effect: Target one face-up, Attack Position "Mountain Monkey Monarch - Infernape" you control: double its original attack until the end of the Battle Phase. If the card targeted by this destroys a monster by battle: decrease its original Attack and Defense points by half (this decrease lasts even if this card or the card targeted by this effect leaves the field). If the card targeted by this doesn't destroy a monster by battle: destroy the targeted monster and take its original Attack Points as damage.

Traps: x2

b7sVFfe.jpg

"Special Ability - Blaze!"
Continuous Trap Card
Effect: You may only activate this card if your Life Points are below 2000. Target one "Mountain Monkey Monarch - Infernape" in your Graveyard or Banished Zone: Special Summon it, regardless of its effects. If you do, it gains 1000 Attack. If it or this card would be removed from the field, banish both this card and "Mountain Monkey Monarch - Infernape" and deal damage equal to "Mountain Monkey Monarch - Infernape"'s attack to your opponent.

wPGPKE8.jpg

"Hidden Ability - Iron Fist!"
Normal Trap Card
Effect: Target one face-up Attack Position "Mountain Monkey Monarch - Infernape": equip this card to it. It gains 500 Attack and cannot be destroyed by battle. If your opponent declares a direct attack while this card is in the Graveyard: You can Special Summon this card as a Normal Monster (Beast-Warrior/FIRE/Level 6/ATK 2700/DEF 400). (This card is NOT treated as a Trap Card.) If Summoned this way, this card is unaffected by monster effects, also banish it when leaves the field.

- - - - -

Again, I hope you enjoy these Pokemon-turned-Yugioh Cards! CnC is welcome, as always.

EDIT 1: 10/16/15 - Added some PST to: "Mountain Monkey Monarch - Infernape", "Close Combat", and "Mach Punch".
EDIT 2: 10/17/15 - Slowed down "Mountain Hoot of Family" by adding Synchro Summon cap.

"Mountain Monkey Monarch-Infernape" is a bit overpowered because when it is summoned it will have at least 2900 attack plus each time it attacks it will gain 200 attack, plus if you activate "Mountain Hoot of family" you can synchro summon another "Mountain Monkey Monarch-Infernape", it's summon cannot be negated and the original one will gain an additional 200, in addition in inflicts piercing battle damage so it can severely hurt your opponent.

"Mach Punch" is also cheap because it deals at least 1450 direct damage and allows "Mountain Monkey Monarch-Infernape" to have a clean attack if there's only one monster on the opponent field. 

"Close Combat" is also cheap because it doubles the attack once, and after destroying a monster it returns to it's original attack meaning, there's no real negative effects except if the monster isn't destroyed by battle, needless to say it can create a monster with 5400 attack or higher

"Blaze" allows the player to special summon a monster with 3100 attack and if the player uses close combat+mach punch it will deal 3100 direct damage, removes one monster, and a clean 6200 atatck

Lastly, "Iron Fist",boosts "Mountain Monkey Monarch-Infernape"attack by 500 and makes it indestructible by battle, and it can be used as protective barrier with 2700 attack, and it cannot be destroyed by monster effects

I definitely see where you're coming from here, and now that you point it out, I see where I could've made some (major) errs when making "Mountain Monkey Monarch - Infernape". Mind you, this is supposed to be the offensive build of the 3 Sinnoh Starters, so the trade off of high damage for lack of defense, though, running the right traps can make him nearly invincible. I need to add some PST on him.

As for the "Mountain Hoot of Family!", only the summon of the Synchro Material monsters can not be negated. The actual Synchro Summon can, plus, with how everybody and their mother runs both Solemn Warning and Bottomless Trap Hole, and considering how you must already control a face-up "Mountain Monkey Monarch - Infernape", I counter your statement saying that most meta, and even some not-meta decks already have an answer to this, and if they don't, Mirror Force is still a problem for this build, since it has little-to-no protection from backrow. It's supposed to hit hard and fast, just like Infernape in the game.

Mach Punch, I agree, needs some PST immediately. Major oversight on my part.

See above on Close Combat. Literally everything I just said about Mach Punch relates here.^

See argument about "Mountain Hoot of Family!" concerning "Special Ability: Blaze!". It's supposed to seem so powerful. In the end, it's still very vulnerable to Traps/Spells, and this archetype has no way to get rid of said back row. PST on Mach Punch and Close Combat will balance it out, somewhat.

Again, 3200 Attack, while impressive, means very little in a Trap-Heavy meta, which is what we're in. If a deck doesn't run at least one Fiendish Chain, Solemn Warning, Bottomless Trap Hole, or Mirror Force, it's not likely to survive long, even against decks completely unrelated to this. While I've seen the argument around YCM that just because a card has an answer doesn't mean it's balanced, I have to disagree. When sheer amount of checks and balances for the archetype severly outweigh the raw power of the deck, I'd say it's 'balanced'.

Still, I'll take your recommendations into thought and edit the archetype. Much of it needs fixing, I agree.

Pretty good archetype! It seems like it would be kinda slow, since it relies on two specific cards, but the spell/trap support offsets that. Infernape is kinda powerful though, especially since it can boost its own ATK. I suggest it starts at 2500 or something. 

And I'd suggest you put a special summon restriction on Family, since it can go into another Synchro summon and bring about more combos. And Close Combat is kinda weird. You're saying that it's ATK is halved forever? That isn't necessary. Just halving it until your next turn should be fine.

Blaze is rather situational. 2000 LP is hard to reliably reach. Maybe it should be 3000 or 4000.

I think you need more ways to get out Chimchar and Monferno. All these cards are nothing without Infernape.

And about what you said: This is not a trap-heavy meta. That was last meta. Nowadays, we got decks like Nekroz, which runs almost no backrow, and pendulum decks, which just use tons of monsters. And lots of decks are weak to s/ts, but that is very easily mitigated with Forbidden Lance, Wiretap, Trap Stun, Royal Decree, etc. It's not much of a weakness.

The fact that a card can be negated with Solemn or Fiendish isn't a balancing factor at all. Playing against devastatingly powerful cards, you cannot always expect to have one of the few counters in your field/hand, and then you will lose. 

However, I'm not complaining about your cards, but about your argument. This archetype is very combo-dependent and relies heavily on Spell support, namely Mountain Hoot of Evolution. I don't think it being broken is a problem.

I actually added some PST to Infernape to prevent it from boosting its own attack. The only way "Mountain Monkey Monarch - Infernape" can boost its attack and not have other FIRE monsters out on the field is if there were two. But, the point of this deck is to make a powerful beater and keep it alive as long as possible to beat out any other possible beaters, thus why I gave it Flamvell Uruquizas's piercing/boost effect.

And on "Mountain Hoot of Family", I honestly don't think slowing down this deck is a very good idea. While I can definitely see having a pair of Infernapes on the field being a problem, the point of the card was to bring out the Synchro Materials to boost Infernape by 400, making it one hell of a beater with 3100 Attack + Piercing + Attack Boosts out the wazoo. Honestly, the Summon itself is more detrimental to your opponent than a second Synchro Summon. But, I'll put a cap on the Synchro Summoning shenanigans since using Infernape + T.G. Librarian + Family followed by Evolution could get you some major draw power and field advantage.

Close Combat was made to mimic the game's version of the move as closely as it could: it's incredibly powerful, but in the end, leaves you wide open for a counter attack by lowering your stats. Thus I made the Close Combat card mimic that by halving Infernape's Attack and Defense. Like in the games, the only way to really mitigate this is by having it be destroyed/returned to the Extra Deck (thus the Pokemon's either "fainted" or been "returned").

Blaze is also situational in the games as well, because with Infernape's mediocre defenses, it's very rare that you'd ever get a chance to have its ability activate. Thus why I made it hard to use the card, since when you use it, if you have an Infernape in the grave, you essentially get a free 3700 Attack monster that blows up your opponent's Life Points when it leaves the field.

Also, I don't really think I need to speed up either Chimchar or Monferno, since Tenki and Tensu search and summon them, respectfully. Plus, with only 200 Defense each, Flamvells will have a joyride searching them, and Rekindling will have a banaza Summoning them from the grave. Plus you can make Zenmaines when using Rekindling so they don't get banished when they leave the field. Flamvell Firedog would be a great card to use in conjunction with this archetype along with Fire Fist Bear.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived