Salvation Army Archetype

jackelgull

The hot desert wind rages through the battlefield flaying the skin of the combatants. They know not how long they've marched. The war seemingly has no end, nor no beginning. Still they march. They are the Salvation Army.

[spoiler=''Support]

wZf4fNj.jpg

If there is a Salvation Army- Intelligence Officer on your opponent's side of the field you may activate this card; Until your opponent's next standby phase, monsters they control cannot activate effects. 

rz7dO8l.jpg

Activate only when there is an Intelligence Officer on your opponent's side of the field; return it to your hand. Your opponent gains lp equal 500 X the level of Intelligence Officer. 

pwcVRvo.jpg

Lore: Destroy this card if Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is not on the field. Your opponent must tribute an extra monster to tribute summon. Once per turn, when an opponent's monster declares an attack: Target the attacking monster; negate the attack.

rOe0g30.jpg

Lore: Once per turn you may destroy a Salvation Army monster you control; Special Summon a Salvation Army monster two levels greater than the monster you destroyed from the hand or deck. Ignore any summoning restrictions.

A26LUpq.jpg

This card can only be activated if Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is on the field. You may Special Summon one Salvation Army monster from the hand; half its attack. Then add one Salvation Army monster from the deck to the hand. Only one copy of Forced March may be activated per turn. 

VnOerRL.jpg

Lore: Activate when your opponent controls up to three more monsters than you. Special summon Salvation Army- Conscript from the hand, deck or graveyard equal to the difference.

hd1OW9G.jpg

Activate when your opponent activates a card effect that would cause a Salvation Army monster to leave the field. Negate that card effect and destroy it.

D1hQr6o.jpg

If there is no face up Salvation Army monster on the field destroy this card. Effects that activate in the graveyard are negated. Traps cannot be activated in response to the special summon of a Salvation Army monster.

[spoiler=''Monster]

VVWuSn3.jpg

You cannot Normal Summon or Set this card. This card must be Special Summoned by summoning to the opponent's side of the field in face up defense position. The controller of this card cannot summon monsters whose level are lower than this card. During the controller's end phase, reduce the level of this card by one. When the level of this card would be zero, destroy this card instead. This card cannot be tributed or used for a synchro summon.

SHcawYK.jpg

If Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is not on the field, destroy this card. While this card is face up on the field; your opponent may not activate effects that do not target. 

O7lILSW.jpg

This card gains 300 attack for every Salvation Army monster on your side of the field. At the end of your opponent's Battle Phase, send this to the graveyard to Special Summon one Salvation Army- Soldier from the deck or the hand.

HnBSpJQ.jpg

If this card attacks a Defense Position monster, inflict piercing battle damage to your opponent. This card cannot declare a direct attack. This card may attack up to three times per turn. Your opponent may discard a card to negate each attack.

BiuTli3.jpg

Cannot be normal summoned or set. Must be Special Summoned through the effect of Salvation Army-Soldier and cannot be special summoned in any other way. When this card is Summoned, monsters on your side of the field cannot be destroyed this turn. If this card is targeted by an opponent's effect, you may switch the target to another monster you own instead. At the end of your opponent's battle phase you can send this card from the field to the graveyard to Special Summon one Salvation Army- Great General from the hand or deck. 

1gi7MSB.jpg

Cannot be normal summoned or set. Must be Special Summoned through the effect of Salvation Army- General and cannot be Special Summoned in any other way. When this card is Summoned, select a type. As long as this card remains face up on the field negate the effects of all monsters of that type on the field. If Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is on the field, this card is unaffected by your opponent's card effects. Only one copy of this card can be face up on the field at a time. If this card is destroyed and sent from the field to the graveyard, you may special summon one Salvation Army conscript from your deck, hand or graveyard.

6aot0Uk.jpg

This card cannot be selected as an attack target as long as there is another Salvation Army monster on the field. Once per turn, you may add one Salvation army monster from the deck to the hand.

2MqRYSB.jpg

You may special summon this card from your hand during your main phase. When this card is summoned add up to three spell or trap cards in the graveyard to the deck. This monster cannot be used as synchro material except for the synchro summon of a Salvation Army monster.

ic0TARQ.jpg

This card cannot be normal summoned or set. Cannot be normal summoned or set. Must be Special Summoned through the effect of Salvation Army- Conscript and cannot be Special Summoned in any other way. When this card is special summoned select one monster on your opponent's side of the field; equip it to this card. When this card would be destroyed, destroy that card instead.  At the end of your opponent's battle phase, you may send this card from the field to the graveyard to special summon one Salvation Army- General from the hand or deck.

CP6QFRT.jpg

When this card declares an attack, monster effects cannot be activated until the end of the Battle Phase. At the start of the Damage Step, if this card battles a monster of equal level or lower: Destroy that monster. 

vD2J1xt.jpg

1 Tuner + 1 or more Salvation Army non tuner monsters

Once per turn special summon a Salvation Army monster from the graveyard. It cannot activate an effect or declare an attack this turn.

eLRtNXb.jpg

1 tuner+ 1 or more Salvation Army non tuner monsters.
If Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is on the field, during your standby phase, declare one: XYZ, Synchro, Pendulum or Fusion. Until your next standby phase, neither player can summon monsters with the declared method. This monster is unaffected by the effects of Pendulum, XYZ, Synchro and Fusion summoned monsters.

isojEk2.jpg

2 Level 3 Salvation Army monsters
Before this card attacks, detach an XYZ material; no spell or trap cards may be activated until the end of the Battle Phase. Attach any monster this card destroys by battle as  XYZ material.

Any thoughts? My aim was to make a control deck in which time would be needed to set up locks, but could still compete while waiting for the pieces to fall in place. I apologize for the bad images, they were the best I could do. Thank you for those who take the time to criticize.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the concept behind these cards, but, for some reason, I can't view any images on YCM, so I can't see their names. Gonna comment on the effects though, but as Sovereign said, try to fix the OCG on those cards.

For that card that summons Conscripts: From where does it summon?

Second card down in Monsters Spoiler: Survives until the end of the BP? Survive is not a word we use on YGO cards. I think you mean: "At the end of your opponent's Battle Phase, if this card was on the field from the start of the Battle Phase:"

I would comment more, but as I said, the pictures aren't loading, making it confusing. I'll try to comment more as soon as I can view pictures.

"Explosive Expert" can be abused if boosted, since it deals piercing damage and can attack three times in a single turn without any cost, I suggest removing the piercing effect or giving a cost for each additional attack, for example discard 1 "Salvation Army" card from your hand or pay 500 life points

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One thing I'm going to say is not to use real-life pictures for cards.

Aesthetically, it doesn't go well with the usual way Yugioh does their pictures.

Nothing really wrong with it, but just seems...awkward.

-----------

Air Strike can probably screw with Monarchs or something if they don't have their Field up to reduce the Levels/amount of stuff they want to make. I would say that it'd make it harder for Qli to play, and probably will (though it just means they'll trigger more). More fuel needed to make Towers/Killer or Skybase, but former is banned and the latter is probably not worth using anyway.

Recruitment can spam for Rank 3 plays or something, or fodder for Promotion (though Conscripts only go up to Soldier and then General, if you can pull it off).

Wait a sec, Promotion is soft OPT by its wording so yeah, blow Conscript up, make Soldier with copy 1, then use second copy to make General.

Salvation blocks pretty much all forms of effect removal against this Deck for no cost.

I'd probably put a hard OPT on it, so you can't spam it multiple times (or put some form of cost).

Unknown is basically Soul Drain (I think this is the one that hits the Graveyard) and blocks the opponent from using Notice, Warning or whatever else.

Given Soul Drain's list position, I am a bit iffy on it coupled with its effect, but you will need a Salvation Army monster to keep it active, so...I guess it's fine (you need it for Air Strike anyway). 

Chaplain blocks Raigeki and other sweep removal attempts.

A lot of removal lately does target like Castel and whatnot, but it has its uses.

Conscript requires that you have a full field up, though Recruitment gets them to 1900, which isn't bad.

But yeah, only purpose it really has is to become the Level 5 (either you use Promotion or go the long way with their effects). Probably the Promotion way, since given their stats and all, there is no guarantee that they will survive + "evolve".

Explosive can make triple attacks, but yeah know that your opponent can just mill your hand (especially since most Decks do utilize the Graveyard, and some cards will trigger when it happens). Though, I suppose it's nice for forcing them to budget their resources. One thing that I am iffy on is its ability to make multiple direct attacks (which amounts to 6900). Change this to attacks on monsters, and it'll be fairer.

Soldier is an on-summon 101/CDI (in equip form), which isn't bad and gets some protection off by using it as a meat shield of sorts.

Probably going to be using Promotion to make this most of the time.

General at least has OPT destruction protection, but again Castel and other non-destructive removal exists, and aside from using Promotion, it's not going to be summoned often.

By extension, protection effect won't matter too much, bar for random Mirror Force things on your turn.

Great General can shut down certain Decks for being monotype, but recall that most Decks do run Extra and they are most certainly different Types.

That, and it requires a lot of effort to get there. Unlike General, he lacks protection. I would advise giving him some degree of it, because it will suck if he gets bounced.

-------

As a whole, I feel that the Archetype is lacking in terms of speed.

If you can pull off the whole thing, then that's great, but aside from the support Spells and all, it isn't strong enough to survive the current pool.

I haven't reviewed everything from Headquarters on, but so far, not sure how it can function efficiently.

When you design stuff in Advanced, just make sure you keep in mind what exists in the metagame (and yes, Raigeki/Castel/101 and a lot of other things are common and will greatly threaten the way this Deck functions).

One thing I'm going to say is not to use real-life pictures for cards.

Aesthetically, it doesn't go well with the usual way Yugioh does their pictures.

Nothing really wrong with it, but just seems...awkward.

-----------

Air Strike can probably screw with Monarchs or something if they don't have their Field up to reduce the Levels/amount of stuff they want to make. I would say that it'd make it harder for Qli to play, and probably will (though it just means they'll trigger more). More fuel needed to make Towers/Killer or Skybase, but former is banned and the latter is probably not worth using anyway.

Recruitment can spam for Rank 3 plays or something, or fodder for Promotion (though Conscripts only go up to Soldier and then General, if you can pull it off).

Wait a sec, Promotion is soft OPT by its wording so yeah, blow Conscript up, make Soldier with copy 1, then use second copy to make General.

Salvation blocks pretty much all forms of effect removal against this Deck for no cost.

I'd probably put a hard OPT on it, so you can't spam it multiple times (or put some form of cost).

Unknown is basically Soul Drain (I think this is the one that hits the Graveyard) and blocks the opponent from using Notice, Warning or whatever else.

Given Soul Drain's list position, I am a bit iffy on it coupled with its effect, but you will need a Salvation Army monster to keep it active, so...I guess it's fine (you need it for Air Strike anyway). 

Chaplain blocks Raigeki and other sweep removal attempts.

A lot of removal lately does target like Castel and whatnot, but it has its uses.

Conscript requires that you have a full field up, though Recruitment gets them to 1900, which isn't bad.

But yeah, only purpose it really has is to become the Level 5 (either you use Promotion or go the long way with their effects). Probably the Promotion way, since given their stats and all, there is no guarantee that they will survive + "evolve".

Explosive can make triple attacks, but yeah know that your opponent can just mill your hand (especially since most Decks do utilize the Graveyard, and some cards will trigger when it happens). Though, I suppose it's nice for forcing them to budget their resources. One thing that I am iffy on is its ability to make multiple direct attacks (which amounts to 6900). Change this to attacks on monsters, and it'll be fairer.

Soldier is an on-summon 101/CDI (in equip form), which isn't bad and gets some protection off by using it as a meat shield of sorts.

Probably going to be using Promotion to make this most of the time.

General at least has OPT destruction protection, but again Castel and other non-destructive removal exists, and aside from using Promotion, it's not going to be summoned often.

By extension, protection effect won't matter too much, bar for random Mirror Force things on your turn.

Great General can shut down certain Decks for being monotype, but recall that most Decks do run Extra and they are most certainly different Types.

That, and it requires a lot of effort to get there. Unlike General, he lacks protection. I would advise giving him some degree of it, because it will suck if he gets bounced.

-------

As a whole, I feel that the Archetype is lacking in terms of speed.

If you can pull off the whole thing, then that's great, but aside from the support Spells and all, it isn't strong enough to survive the current pool.

I haven't reviewed everything from Headquarters on, but so far, not sure how it can function efficiently.

When you design stuff in Advanced, just make sure you keep in mind what exists in the metagame (and yes, Raigeki/Castel/101 and a lot of other things are common and will greatly threaten the way this Deck functions).

First of all, thanks for critiquing. 

I'll put a hard OPT on salvation. I noticed the weakness of the archetype, and I hoped that salvation would help fix it, but it might be too overpowered.

I'll change the effect so Explosive Expert can't attack directly. 

Should I change the effect of General to, Once per turn, if your opponent activates an effect that targets this card you may negate it, and for Great General, the effect can be, your opponent cannot target this card with monster effects? 

Finally, I understand this archetype is slow. I was hoping to have the level up mechanic be supplemented by promotion, which would basically help you get your good monsters out quick. Also, the non level up monsters and the spells and traps would lock the opponent and keep them from shutting you down. I mean, I do have an answer to Castel- his name is Moral Crusader. And he's not that hard to summon. Quarter Master + Headquarters, or some other level 4 to summon Surgeon, use Surgeon to summon Quarter Master and then Moral Crusader. I will admit it isn't perfect. Perhaps I should make all the level four and lower non level up Salvation Army monsters special summonable if there's a Salvation Army monster already on the field? Or perhaps, I should change Headquarters effect to - once per turn special summon a level four or lower Salvation Army monster from the hand or deck. This effect can only be used once per turn. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bump.

I've been wondering if I should add a hard OPT to Promotion, so people can't just skip all the way to Great general from conscript, but on the other hand, this deck would be painfully slow otherwise. 

I wonder what people think about Intelligence officer. I wanted him to be a disruptive card in the enemy ranks. I might be giving him more support like Spreading mutiny to further increase his disruptive capabilities, and Hostage Exchange is there to return him to your hand so you can repeat your opponent's ordeal. 

And is Force March overpowered? Should I simply change the effect to special summon one Salvation Army monster from the deck; halve its attack? 

How does Light Armor fare? I'm kind of worried about the effect that allows it to attach any monster it destroys as XYZ material. It's basically non targeting removal against Kozmos and Pepe. I figured it was balanced out by the fact its first effect isn't that great. 

Archived