[MTG] Insurrection

Flame Dragon

10352.jpg

I hate this, and these type of cards with a burning passion. I think this is mostly because whenever they are cast they just result in me dying, but unlike losing in other ways it just feels cheap. Like, an infinite is something a deck is built to do and its fine if your opponent was clearly gaining adventure over the course of the game. This just comes out of no where and no matter how well I'd been playing or how far ahead I'd gotten it just kills me.

So, what are your thoughts on this family of cards and on the best ways to play around them?

Boards don't get populated enough in my playgroup for this card to be good.

They do in mine. My friends are pretty wrath light. Plus like the most recent game I died to one was with my deck that builds things fast. I went Cathars' Crusade one turn, play Garruk and Garruk's Packleader next turn, make a 3/3 with Garruk and play Dragon Broodmother the last turn. Then everything was taken. He ended up with a 2/2, 3/3, 6/6, 8/8, and 9/9 from only two turns of playing dudes.

There's a reason I don't run this in my creature-stealing Yasova Dragonclaw deck; It's ultimately a cheap unsatisfying wincon card that does too much for a single card and leaves everyone angry at you unless they all have free sac outlets, which still has the benefit of clearing their boards. It's the same reason I despise Primal Surge, especially because by FAR the crappiest player in my playgroup has it in his Ruric Thar deck that allows him to essentially vomit his entire deck onto the board and murder with Hamletback Goliath and Fanatic of Mogis, winning any game that is rife with terrible plays on his part. They are wins he doesn't earn, and he wins only because of that one card. It's bullshit and I hate it.

There's a reason I don't run this in my creature-stealing Yasova Dragonclaw deck; It's ultimately a cheap unsatisfying wincon card that does too much for a single card and leaves everyone angry at you unless they all have free sac outlets, which still has the benefit of clearing their boards. It's the same reason I despise Primal Surge, especially because by FAR the crappiest player in my playgroup has it in his Ruric Thar deck that allows him to essentially vomit his entire deck onto the board and murder with Hamletback Goliath and Fanatic of Mogis, winning any game that is rife with terrible plays on his part. They are wins he doesn't earn, and he wins only because of that one card. It's bullshit and I hate it.

I don't think Surge is as bad since at least that just ends the game all together. Its like an infinite. With Insurrection though its less "oops I win" and more "oops you lose" since its rarely enough to kill everyone. Since I'm normally the only one that dies because of this that hasn't helped my feeling on these effects.

if youre playing a creature heavy deck I'd recommend using Homeward path. s*** like insurrection are game winning bombs and either your prevent them from resolving or you have ways to protect yourself if they do.

I sadly don't think I own one. I know my escape valve for a few of my decks are ways to just sac my board since normally I'm the one who has all the creatures.

8 mana is Wizards' "this is too expensive to practically cast in standard, so we can make it do whatever we want" zone (with creatures still being a bit cautious due to reanimation issues). Unfortunately, many of the 8 mana sorceries/instants tend to straight up win games, which is why I tend to avoid using those brands of cards in my EDH decks - I want the game to be won with tricky maneuvers, politics, and damage to the face, NOT by a single card or degenerate combo completely invalidating the previous two hours.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived