Chthonian - Multiple Battle Phases!

Draconus297

I am one of few people that legitimately likes "Chthonian Emperor Dragon", which is a Gemini that gets 2 attacks per Battle Phase. In fact, because of that, I began drafting an archetype that could speed up your ability to Normal Summon, as well as give additional Battle Phases.

The result? An OTK-happy Normal Summon spam Deck the likes of which the current meta would be proud of.

Here's CED itself:

Chthonian Emperor Dragon

FIRE - Level 6 - Dragon/Gemini - 2400/1500

This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or in the Graveyard. While this monster is face-up on the field, you can Normal Summon it to have it be treated as an Effect Monster with the following effect:

●This monster can attack twice during the same Battle Phase.

And here's a Fusion that got made in a game in Misc, which set off archetype production:

Chthonian Deity Dragon

FIRE - Level 9 - Dragon/Fusion/Effect - 2600/1900

"Chthonian Emperor Dragon" + 1 or more Level 5 or lower monsters

This monster can attack a number of times per Battle Phase times the number of Fusion Materials used to Fusion Summon this card. Cards and effects cannot be activated in response to an attack by this monster.

And my archetype:

Chthonian Egg

FIRE - Level 1 - Dragon/Effect - 900/0

Once per turn, if this card is targeted for an attack or card effect, you can negate that attack or effect: You gain an additional Normal Summon during your next Main Phase. Once per Battle Phase, when a "Chthonian" monster attacks, you can add 1 "Chthonian" card from your Deck to your hand.

Chthonian Axe Dragon

FIRE - Level 2 - Dragon/Effect - 1300/200

You can banish this card you control to select and activate 1 of the following effects:

●If an effect would force you to skip your Battle Phase this turn, or end it before all FIRE monsters you control have declared an attack, that effect is ignored.

●You gain 1 additional Battle Phase this turn.

You can only activate this effect of "Chthonian Axe Dragon" once per turn.

Chthonian Hatchling

FIRE - Level 2 - Dragon/Effect - 1000/200

When you Normal Summon this monster, you can Normal Summon an additional "Chthonian" monster this turn, except "Chthonian Wyvern" or "Chthonian Hatchling". At the start of each Battle Phase, increase the ATK of all face-up monsters you control by 300 until the End Phase of this turn.

Chthonian Wyvern

FIRE - Level 3 - Dragon/Effect - 1600/300

When this monster is Normal Summoned, you can add 1 "Chthonian" monster from your Deck to your hand. If you have already Normal Summoned this turn, you can Tribute this monster: Summon 1 "Chthonian" monster from your hand (this is treated as Normal Summon).

Chthonian Lindworm

FIRE - Level 3 - Dragon/Effect - 1200/800

If this monster battles and does not inflict Battle Damage to your opponent's Life Points, you can declare an additional Battle Phase this turn (You can only activate this effect of "Chthonian Lindworm" once per turn). If this monster is sent from your side of the field to the Graveyard, except as Tribute or Fusion Material: your opponent cannot activate cards or effects during the Battle Phase(s) of your next turn.

Chthonian Lance Dragon

FIRE - Level 4 - Dragon/Effect - 1800/1000

This monster can be Tributed for a Tribute Summon the same turn it is Summoned, as long as the Tribute Summoned monster is FIRE Attribute. Once per Battle Phase, you can target 1 "Chthonian" monster you control: that monster gains 200 ATK and can inflict piercing Battle Damage this turn.

Chthonian Adze Dragon

FIRE - Level 4 - Dragon/Effect - 1700/1200

When this monster is Normal Summoned, lower the ATK and DEF of all face-up monsters your opponent controls by 300. If this monster is the last monster to attack in a turn, and would destroy your opponent's monster by battle: that monster is not destroyed, and you can declare an additional Battle Phase this turn. If you activate this effect, this monster must be the first monster to attack in the new Battle Phase. You can only activate this effect of "Chthonian Adze Dragon" once per turn.

Chthonian Mace Dragon

FIRE - Level 4 - Dragon/Effect - 1600/1300

When this monster is Normal Summoned successfully, you can add 1 "Chthonian" monster from your Graveyard to your hand. Once per Battle Phase, you can lower the ATK and DEF of 1 face-up monster your opponent controls by its Level/Rank times 100.

Chthonian Bow Dragon

FIRE - Level 4 - Dragon/Effect - 1500/900

Once per turn, if you Normal Summon a "Chthonian" monster, you can Normal Summon an additional FIRE monster this turn. Once per Battle Phase, you can increase the ATK of 1 "Chthonian" monster you control by the DEF of 1 monster your opponent controls.

Chthonian Targe Dragon

FIRE - Level 4 - Dragon/Effect - 1400/1400

During your Main Phase: You can discard this card from your hand: all "Chthonian" monsters are unaffected by your opponent's cards and effects until your opponent's next End Phase. If, when this monster is Normal Summoned, your opponent controls 1 or more monsters with ATK and/or DEF of 2500 or higher, increase the ATK of all face-up "Chthonian" monsters by 800. If, at the end of a Battle Phase in which this effect was activated, your opponent still controls a monster with 2500 or higher ATK or DEF, you can increase the ATK of all face-up "Chthonian" monster by 200

Chthonian Sword Dragon

FIRE - Level 4 - Dragon/Effect - 1900/1100

Cannot be Summoned unless you control a face-up "Chthonian" monster. When you Normal Summon a "Chthonian" monster, you can decrease this monster's ATK by 500 to Normal Summon an additional FIRE monster. If this monster's ATK reaches 0 by this effect, destroy this monster. If your opponent Summons a monster during your Battle Phase, you can declare an additional Battle Phase this turn.

Chthonian Drake

FIRE - Level 5 - Dragon/Effect - 2000/1100

If your opponent controls more monsters than you during your 1st Main Phase, you can Summon this monster from your hand: this is treated as a Normal Summon. If you control another "Chthonian" monster, this monster can attack twice per Battle Phase. If this monster is destroyed (by battle or card effect) you can Special Summon "Chthonian Emperor Dragon" or Chthonian Empress Dragon" from your hand or Graveyard.

Chthonian Empress Dragon

FIRE - Level 5 - Dragon/Effect - 2200/1300

Your opponent cannot negate the Normal Summon of "Chthonian" monsters. If you control a face-up "Chthonian Emperor Dragon": your opponent cannot activate cards or effects in response to the Normal Summon of a "Chthonian" monster. Once per Battle Phase, when a "Chthonian" monster attacks, you can increase its ATK by 700 until the End Phase of this turn.

Chthonian Storm Dragon

FIRE - Level 8 - Dragon/Effect - 2700/1500

This monster can attack twice per Battle Phase. Once per turn, you can discard 1 Spell or Trap Card from your hand to destroy all Spell and Trap Cards your opponent controls.

Chthonian Majesty Dragon

FIRE - Level 8 - Dragon/Fusion/Effect - 2800/1500

3 "Chthonian" monsters

During your End Phase, if this monster did not declare an attack: Destroy it. During each of your opponent's End Phases, destroy all monsters they control that did not battle this monster. Once per Battle Phase, if this monster destroyed a monster by battle, increase this monster's ATK by half the destroyed monster's ATK until either player's next Main Phase 2.

Chthonian Fusion

Normal Spell

Fusion Summon 1 FIRE Fusion monster from your Extra Deck, using monsters you control as Fusion Material. A Fusion Summon with this card is treated as a Normal Summon, instead of a Special Summon. If this card is in your Graveyard and you control no monsters, you can banish this card and send Fusion Material monsters from your hand and/or Deck to the Graveyard to Fusion Summon 1 "Chthonian" Fusion monster.

Chthonian Fireburst

Quick-Play Spell

You must control a face-up "Chthonian" monster with 2000 or more ATK to activate this card. If all face-up monsters you control (min. 2) are "Chthonian" monsters, this card can be activated from your hand during either player's Battle Phase. Negate the effects of 1 targeted card on the field, and if it is a monster, its ATK and DEF are treated as 0 until the End Phase of this turn (but all Battle Damage involving that monster becomes 0). During the End Phase of a turn this card is activated, both players take damage equal to the ATK of the face-up "Chthonian" monster on the field with the highest Level.

Chthonian Rules of Engagement

Continuous Trap

Once per turn, during either player's turn, if you control at least 1 "Chthonian" monster, you can negate 1 card or effect your opponent activates during the Battle Phase. You can only control 1 "Chthonian Rules of Engagement".

Chthonian Rules of Sportsmanship

Continuous Trap

If there are 3 or more face-up "Chthonian" monsters on the field, monsters cannot leave the field, except by battle, Tribute, or by the effect of a "Chthonian" card.

Chthonian Rules of Rote

Continuous Trap

If you control 2 or more face-up "Chthonian" monsters, "Chthonian Rules" Continuous Trap Cards cannot be destroyed during your opponent's turn. You can only control 1 "Chthonian Rules of Rote".

Chthonian Submission

Continuous Trap

Once per turn, when your opponent would Summon a monster: negate that monster's effects before it is Summoned. That card's effects cannot be activated unless that monster is Summoned again.

I plan on adding more, but . . . thoughts?

It seems kind of slow; even the Fusion Summoning is pretty slow. Maybe if you gave the Fusion Spell Card an alternate effect, allowing you to use a monster from your Deck or Graveyard as one of the Fusion Materials while you control no monsters, or while your opponent controls a Special Summoned monster. Regardless, they'd need some form to stay on the field if they want to leave an impact (as they're prone many forms of removal). A Quick-play or Continuous Trap Card could help with that.

I sympathize with you. Chthonian is such a cool word (just having it in name gives a cool feeling to any card), whatever it means (apparently it got something to do with the cthulhu mythos).

Anyway, first I must say I'm disappointed with the means the deck has for gaining a second Battle Phase (you seemed quite reluctant to give a reliable way to achieve it). The 3 ways the deck has to achieve it are really unreliable, or just inefficient (it's hard to call this "The Second BP deck" while most of the time you won't really do a second BP).

Of course, allowing any deck a second BP is something that requires caution, as it can easily let to really unfair scenarios or completely BS moments. Here are a few suggestions to create a more fair Second BP (so you can loosen up a bit on the requirements):

- (Monster) You can tribute this card: You can declare an additional Battle phase this turn, but you cannot attack your opponent directly. "Chthonian" monsters you control inflict piercing damage during the additional Battle phase of this turn.

- (Spell) This Battle phase, monsters your opp controls cannot be destroyed by battle. At the end of the battle phase, you can tribute 1 "chthonian" monster you control: You can declare an additional Battle Phase this turn, but only "Chthonian" monsters can declare an attack. Your opp cannot activate card effects during this additional Battle phase.

- (Another fusion) At the end of the battle phase, if this card attacked a monster this turn, you can tribute this card; Special Summon "Chthonian" monsters from your grave up to the number of monsters your opp controls, then Reduce by 1000 the ATK of all monsters your opp controls. You can declare an additional Battle phase this turn, but only "Chthonian" monsters can declare an attack.

As you can see, the main problem of doing a second BP in a turn is the danger of free direct attacks (which is stupid and unfun), therefore as long as you can create scenarios that don't always results in direct attacks, there isn't much of a problem in second Battle phases. You know the moon-light archetype? That is pretty much what I mean, something akin to it should be healthy enough (where you actually want your opponent to have some monsters to spank their asses).

Now, going to the monsters...

I'm unpleased that there are so many low level monsters that kinda have overlaped roles. When you have that many monsters, it gets hard to find a decent use for all of them (I know I wouldn't use them all if I created a deck based on this archetype, which is sad), and makes me not want to review them individually. I really think you should create more level 5+ monsters (I thought the deck would be about using the small ones to summon the big ones), at least another one which actually requires tributes would be nice.

Also, the only way to reliable summon multiple monsters on the same turn or Emperor/Empress is though hatchling and lance dragon (I don't get if wyvern's second effect applies), the rest of the crew seems to be balanced around you having a "Double Summon" in your hand (in normal scenarios, most will just sit there and be destroyed). I mean, why the deck has so much extra normal summon per turn that requires you to have already summoned one? Plus What's the point of normal summoning a bunch of level 4 or lower monsters (the deck seems to want that), except if this is actually an Xyz deck (ouch, calling it an Xyz deck may have been too much "XYZ SCUM!").

I must comment on the fact the summon engine wouldn't be worth even if it worked since there isn't enough reliable ways of adding monsters to your hand. The classic "Normal summon and add to hand" works fine on most decks, but I don't really think that's what the deck is asking for. It's not making the deck flow at all, even if you summon one and summon another which searches, like most decks does, these monsters on field will most likely do nothing, since you won't Xyz/Synchro them (and most likely you would have used all extra normal summons already). You can probably add a couple effects that add from grave to your hand, since they are more fair than searching (the like of "Banish and add 1 from grave to hand"), and the deck seems to want the monsters mostly as a tribute or normal summon supports rather than specific ones (except Emperor/Empress of course).

Talking about the problematic monsters in this paragraph: Targe Dragon, Sword Dragon and Chthonian Drake. Targe Dragon is at least 2 cards in one (seriously, he fills at least 2 roles while others roles overlap), both his effects are fine, but splitting it in 2 different monsters would make more sense (I think you tried to make him a trade/choice, but his effects only makes him the one you want to have at all times, since both effs are more valuable than most other monsters). Sword dragon requires an annoying set-up that you probably won't do in 2/3 of the games, but just having the possibility of summoning like crazy makes me iffy about the card, plus his self-destruction effect hardly makes sense (canceling the option of summoning would be better, but a different card altogether would be even better). Chthonian Drake is probably that sneaky chancellor trying to overtake the king. Except having 400 less ATK, his existence makes actually using Emperor Dragon really underwhelming in this deck (he is way easier to summon, and already can double attack, he is a traitor!). His effect of summoning his parents makes him an interesting card, but his identity would be way better if he didn't double attacked already (at least if he needed circumstances to be able to), he may turn out to be a double agent or something. P.S: Could you just write his effect as: "When your opp controls more monsters than you, you can Normal Summon this card without tributing, then you can Normal Summon and additional time this turn (...)". Because right now it's really weird.

Before talking about the fusion spell, I'do like to talk about the fireburst one first. That card needs a nerf. Half the combined ATK already seems like a lot, but could be tolerable, now ALL THE ORIGINAL ATK COMBINED? If the enemy has suffered some damage, you wouldn't even need to ATK, and I thought this deck was meant to be all about attacking. Even if you want to asspull an undeserved OTK, that card right now is just not cool, not cool at all. Anyway, the fusion Spell first effect (fusion on field) makes it interesting and unique, but I don't think the deck can reliable achieve that (sounds really risk running 2-3 copies of that card). Something like: "if you normal summon thrice this turn, Special Summon 1 "Chthonian" fusion monster from your extra deck, then destroy all monsters you control", would make the fusion a bit more doable (the mix between tribute and fusion summoning feels a bit awkward in the deck right now, but can work I guess). Also, that second effect on grave is OP no matter how I see it, makes Shaddolls envy (not having monsters is not a fair cost to it by a mile), you should step down on that second effect, or at least make it worse than the first effect (otherwise discarding it may even be the best choice). If you want a suggestion, re-fusioning on grave doesn't fits the deck at all (specially from the deck), this card would do wonders only by having a "Banish from grave to add 1 "Chthonian" monster from grave", it's reasonable and that secondary effect is only meant to make the card less costly (fusioning with materials on field is really costly, so you could even add 2 to hand).

About the trap cards... I don't like them. I don't think they fit the deck at all. The "Chthonian" archetype are supposed to be brawlers, not like those weaklings who rely on continuous traps. Of course, the deck still suffers the lack of floaters (it really needs it, since summoning everything is hard). Drake is the only one which is safe to summon, having some high level cards do that or having the small ones being able to protect them by banishing themselves from grave or something could work just fine (say no to the lame traps). The one who needs the most is definitely the Fusion one (please, just add a "If sent to graveyard, Special Summon/Add 2-3 "Chthonian" cards from grave", I mean it, just do it).

All in all, each monster needs a more defined role, the engine should flow way better than this and you have to decide if you want to make a deck about tributing or mass normal summoning (or fusions I guess). The deck kinda tries to do all but can't really do any properly. Best Luck.

Archived