My Hero Academia

Shradow

Boku_no_Hero_Academia_Volume_1.png

Izuku Midoriya was just a regular middle school student in a world where people with superpowers known as "Quirks" are the norm. However, he dreams of one day becoming a hero, despite being bullied by his classmates for not having a Quirk. After being the only one to try and save his childhood friend, Katsuki, from a villain, All Might, the world's greatest hero, bestows upon him his own quirk, "One For All". The story follows Izuku's entrance into U.A. High School, a school that cultivates the next generation of Heroes.

This series is an absolutely fantastic manga, I read it all in a day (as I usually do when starting a manga to catch up to it) and it very immediately made its way into my top favorites. The characters and setting are awesome and I absolutely adore the art style. The anime has started airing and it's super exciting.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

Well, bringing this back since the anime has started airing. The first episode did not disappoint, and Bones is of coursing rocking it with the awesome art and animation. I like All Might's Engrish, it wouldn't have felt right without it. His little "sheet." was pretty funny. The pacing for this episode felt great, too, the first chapter is double the length of most chapters so I understand not adapting all of it in one go.

Is the dub going to run parallel to the sub? FUNimation has been hyping the hell out of this series for the past few weeks, so it could be.

I didn't want this to wind up like One Punch Man where I read the manga after the first episode and spoil the entire season for me, but I couldn't help myself. I can't get the OP out of my head so I needed to distract myself with moar. OP is fantastic too. The piece itself is a tad generic, but the orchestral undertones that appear halfway through are freakin :Kreygasm: The violin in particular is what makes it for me.

[spoiler Thoughts on episode 2]

Goosebumps

[spoiler Actual thoughts though]

I felt that it was just a smidge too drawn out.  They probably could have at least gotten right to the very beginning of the training and then cut, which would leave the perfect spot for the time skip, if they had cut a little time from the middle scenes.  No way in hell is that putting me off though.  If this show stays at this quality then I could never be happier, though the current pacing does concern me with how much they will actually be able to fit into the first season.  I like the pacing--scratch that, I love the pacing, but the first season is only slated for 13 episodes, and considering we only have 11 left, we may not get very far at all into the plot.

[spoiler=Pacing]I'm pretty sure we're only going to be getting through the Unforeseen Simulation Joint stuff, which ends after chapter 21. I think the announcement of the sports festival and, "Oh yeah, this is a school!" is the perfect way to end the season. I don't mind not getting that far into the series since Bones seems like its giving this anime so much love.

Oh hey, the OP is officially on YouTube:

I honestly did not expect this to be so ludicrously faithful to the manga.  That's pretty sweet.  

[spoiler Episode 3 Thoughts]

Got us just about halfway through Chapter 3, which means it looks like they can do about 1.5-2 chapters per episode in most cases.  If that's true then 11 Episodes could give a maximum of 22 Chapters (not including chapter 1, so technically a maximum of chapter 23), which does indeed land us just where others have speculated the first season will end.  If, in the next episode, we get through Chapter 4, or maybe even though Chapter 5 since not much happens in Chapter 4 to be perfectly honest, then we should be right on schedule.  My fears have been quelled.

• 2 weeks later...

[spoiler=Izuku's power] Holy crap, I knew he broke his bones and all, but the anime made One for All look painful

[spoiler=Indeed]

Well...the best type of bones are broken bones! xD

...wait...nvm

[spoiler=Ep 5 Thoughts]

first-day-of-school-wake-up.gif

xD Couldn't resist!

Regardless...their homeroom teacher is...well, let's just say his strange.

>Watch him appear in the hallway in a sleeping bag...WTF?! XD

However, his Quirk seems pretty OP if you ask me. Just delete it by lookin' at ya? That SCREAMS OP!

Nevertheless, it definitely showed Deku's way of controlling his power...even if that finger got broken....RIP Index Finger T~T

That is correct. Deku's basically done with that by this point, I can't think of any more significant instances of it off the top of my head going forward. It made sense in the very beginning, if any of you have known people who've been bullied a majority of they're life that's what they're like (sometimes worse), but thankfully the beginning of Deku's character development kicks in rather quickly. It's especially noticeable this episode with how he finally stands up to Bakugou.

But you know what I'm glad about? Best girl finally appears.

NY0lkl2.jpg?1

Also, now the game of "find Tooru (invisible girl) every episode" has begun.

One thing I didn't expect was to hear Suwabe Junichi (Archer from Fate/stay night) as Aizawa. XD

I'm not quite the anime watcher but I was introduced to this one and I like it so far. I found it really touching and motivating.

Also, this:

[spoiler=]

But you know what I'm glad about? Best girl finally appears.

NY0lkl2.jpg?1

She is one of my reasons for keeping an eye on the series. Cute girl with powers related to an amphibian (in this case a frog)? so much yes, please.

I have not read the manga so I don't know anything about her, nor the rest of the characters for that matter, except for what has been shown on the anime, so I'm curious on finding out how her personality and other character traits are. Depending on her development, I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up watching the whole anime just because of her.

I have not read the manga so I don't know anything about her, nor the rest of the characters for that matter, except for what has been shown on the anime, so I'm curious on finding out how her personality and other character traits are. Depending on her development, I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up watching the whole anime just because of her.

[spoiler=Asui Tsuyu]She's a supporting character so she doesn't get a lot of development per se, not like Deku or Bakugo or anything, but she gets plenty fleshed out as a character. She's pretty laid-back and says what's on her mind (one thing she does is have everyone call her by her first name, if you understand the significance of that in Japanese culture), as well as being incredibly calm and collected under any sort of stress such as the dangerous situations that take place in the series. At one point she's described by one of the faculty members as the "perfect pillar of emotional support."

She quickly became incredibly popular in the fandom due to her unique (and cute!) looks and awesome personality. She has a loooot of fan art.

Is that so? I guess I'm pretty much sold on the series, then. I could tell she wouldn't be as developed as a main character, but still since the OP she got my attention. I assumed she had more of a quirky/silly personality, but it seems I wasn't entirely right. Regardless, she looks like a reaaally nice character.

And.. I didn't want to spoil myself by reading that paragraph but I couldn't resist, heh.

On another subject, something I want to comment is that I don't like the suit/costume of the blaster guy Bakugou, specifically those gauntlets with the appearance of grenades. Maybe it's just me, but the impression I got of him is of a serious guy and thus those kind of accessories feel silly or otherwise out of place in him, whereas other heroes like the one with the engine legs have a suit with a seemingly professional look, so to speak. But that's from the impression I got from the first 5 episodes; maybe once I see and learn more about him, the costume will make sense then.

The next episode is actually perfect for that. We'll get to see some insight into why he is the way he is, why he's so aggressive towards Deku, and there's some stuff about his costume as well.

He's honestly one of the most interesting characters in the series, imo. Very well developed and complex as the series goes along, and he's still got plenty more room to grow.

I watched Episode 6 and:

[spoiler=]I didn't like it that much, to be honest. It felt too cliched: main character is teamed up with the staple love interest, then ending up against the team with the friend/rival, AND they are the first ones to fight. It feels like they didn't even try to spice things up a bit on this one by, let's say, at least making them the second of third match; but if they are staying faithful to the manga, then I guess they didn't have many choices.

But putting that aside, it was an enjoyable episode overall, basically building up for Bakugou's spotlight that hopefully we will get in the next episode. Also I liked how Deku read and countered Bakugou, and knowing he will have to face him without using his powers is exciting.

Also want to point this out now: not a big fan of the gravity girl Ochako. She feels too generic: a klutz/air-headed female protagonist that the main protagonist immediately takes an interest on. Then she has the almost-mandatory share of fan-service with that costume. I don't know if she will become more interesting later, but at the moment I can't say I care about her. Besides, as I mentioned before, I'm mostly following the series to watch the frog girl Tsuyu.

On another note, I found funny that when I was introduced to the series with the first 2 episodes, I joked with my peers that the protagonist would suddenly get a power that nullifies the powers of others, similar to Touma's from the Index series. Then I see the Eraser hero teacher who, coincidentally, has a variant of that power, heh.

Archived