Classification of Profanity

So learned from a mod (who'll not be named) that certain curse worse are "banned" in that their usage can easily net you WP in the abusive behavior category.

So the the N word and I assume the homophobic F word are in this group. Are there any other hot button words to get easy WP? Asking cause surprises are unpleasant and are ideally prevented. 

I'm not entirely sure if this is decided on a case by case basis, but if not, I think it'd be productive to know which ones exactly are in the don't use category 

Seeing as you can post unfiltered by reaching a certain post count or being a mod (and possibly being in a member group, not sure, filter can be bypassed easily regardless of any of these things), it seems pointless and a bit stupid to ban and punish the use of certain words regardless of context. If that's a rule it's news to me.

Guest BGMCANN0N

So anything that is presumably offensive? I mean I can give you more than a handful of racist/controversial words and phrases, or you could just research words that would offend particular groups of people that are of  all feasible demographics of YCM (a lot of words to cover)... But, I don't think that would entirely resolve the issue... I mean if somebody wanted to go the "extra-mile"  to legitimately offend somebody they could get creative and replace certain characters of the word (to make it as close to the word as possible) or flat out pop a racist/ insensitive joke that doesn't have any of the banned words to potentially get their message across before a Mod finally finds the post... In some hypothetical cases, it would be too late: somebody would get surprised and/or offended, but at the very least the Mod would be dealing with the offender.

But, then again... I don't really know how they are implementing this "ban" of certain words.

I don't enforce this and haven't seen it enforced.

What does get warning points though is a mass of curses and insults.

Yeah I wonder why this was mentioned to you, Winter. Clearly multiple people use them and don't get warning points. (I'd think you'd know if they did, Winter XD )

Where is the rule written? Maybe it explains a bit more.

I mean I remember Yin used to warn Night but only for excessive profanity iirc.

Yeah, she did.

To be honest, Night does still swear from time to time, but not as much.

As Aix already mentioned, an excess of curses and insults directed towards other members (among other things) is what gets you warn points.

I don't warn for sheer swearing (and bar from Yin with Night, I don't think the other mods do it, either current or whomever I remember from pre-2011), unless you're using it to antagonize another member, either in the threads/posts, status messages or PM reports. If you want to swear, fine, but just don't use it to cause flame wars with people.

However, all bets are off if it's aimed towards another person (which was your case, Winter).

And yes, don't abuse the lack of the swear filter for those of you who have this.

Where is the rule written? Maybe it explains a bit more.

Last time I checked, there is nothing in the rule announcement about it, though I suspect Aix or one of the others added something.

If not, may be a good time to add it.

I was just told that [the mods] weighed heavily on the context of the word "jabroni"

And yeah, I guess it was used "against" a member, but it really wasn't targeting said member at all. More of a less civilized way of saying "dude" if you looked at the context.

Topic was an overreaction knee jerk on my part largely, there were other factors in play 

Pretty much what Night said.

Personally, I will never give a warn for inappropriate language alone, not only because it's outright impossible to keep constant tabs on, but because it would require an absurd amount of effort to penalize every single person who curses for every single instance. Not remotely worth the effort involved, and there are much bigger issues to keep an eye on.

However, I do judge the context of the words. If the words used are being directed at a person in an offensive or demeaning matter, that's a different issue that better falls under abusive behavior. Sometimes, the words used may add a more hostile tone to your statements, but that ends up falling into a grey area. Besides, swearing is a slippery slope no matter what. If I hit people for certain words, why am I not hitting someone else for different, but similar words? Who gets to judge when something is offensive or not?

I am, however, very opposed to people using racial slurs, but that's again something I judge based on context, and even if I won't warn you for an inoffensive context, I do prefer they not be used at all, and someone deliberately spamming such words will probably get reprimanded, not for the word, but for the EXCESS use.

In fact, I'm going to just outright note that for EVERY disciplinary consideration, I judge on context. If you report a post or quote, I go into that topic and see what actually went down before doing anything, because what gets reported sometimes looks worse out of context. I've seen more than a few reported posts that make one person look like the aggressor, when the actual situation revealed otherwise.

In terms of personal use, I prefer to keep the severity of my curses to a minimum, particularly when involved in a discussion, but that may just be me keeping up a facade of being approachable and professional or something~

I don't want to drag said mod into this mess, but this was what I was told

"We're supposed to havev a very strict rule on that word in particular"

By doing so you wouldn't be harming said mod, It's very common for mods/members to forget trivial rulings. 

By doing so you wouldn't be harming said mod, It's very common for mods/members to forget trivial rulings.

I mean this was in the "new" ninth planet thread and I was lacing my arguments (although they were factual) with unnesseary barbs. The mod felt I crossed a line and dealt with me accordingly. I was a little confused cause I've never noticed any stigma around using those words and because other mods had seen my post and done nothing about it, however it's water under the dam.

I was moreso looking to the future

Archived