The Remnants [IC/Started/NA/PG-16]

Mr. Hyde

wODGy4l.png

OOC

"What a beautiful day it is today!" Overseer Lebowitz said to himself, looking at the screensaver on his computer.  A sunny sky mixed with some light and fluffy clouds.  It had been 10 years since he had seen the real deal with his own two eyes.  Would he ever see it again?  Probably not.  Shelter Protocol stated that in the event of a nuclear fallout, the denizens were to stay in the shelter, and populate it for the next 50 years.  He slammed his fist on the desk.

"Then why leave us with that minuscule amount of food!?  The other shelters records show enough for that long, but why was Shelter 64 the only one to receive fifteen years worth!"  He clasped his head into his hands.  He had failed the people under his watch.  He thought of ways to ration the food in a way that would maybe give them a couple more months worth of time...but what was the point?  Alternative options?  

"NO!  We won't resort to that...again."

Next to the computer on his desk lay a square button.

9:59.......10:00

Lebowitz pressed the device, and a ringing sound that sounded just like a school bell could be heard throughout the shelter. 

"Good morning [sHELTER 64] residents!  Today is April 15th 2025!  Have a wonderful day!"

Oioawhs.png

Chasley was already awake before the bell went off, just like he was every other day.  It was always the same routine: wake up, wait for the bell, head out to eat breakfast.  He hopped out of his dinky bed and started his morning stretches.  

"Sure it's April fifteenth, but what's the day of the week?!"  He scrambled his hair.  "I've lost traaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!"  As he opened the door to his shelter, he could see that no one else had arrived in the commons.  That means that if he made a dash for the freeze dried cereal, he was sure to get his hands on one of the good packages before anyone!  Only 4 packages were laid out in the morning, always different types.  He preferred the one with the marshmallows to any of the rice poppers or peanut butter squares.  

He guessed there was no use in taking off, so he started a fast walk instead.  As he passed one of the empty rooms, he couldn't help but feel a little weird.  Just a couple of years ago, it was occupied...but now that guy was gone.  What was his name again?  Tai?  Taichi?  It had been three years, he was surprised he remembered his first name.

"I guess we'll be following you soon huh?"  he quietly stated as he made his way towards the kitchen.  

"Good morning [sHELTER 64] residents!  Today is April 15th 2025!  Have a wonderful day!"

*THUD*

A loud thump could be heard as soon as the bell rang, followed by a high-pitched throaty groan, "Ugh...again..." Christie slowly climbed back up onto her bed and sat on the soft mattress, while rubbing her eyes. The daily bell had, like so many times before, startled a sleeping Christie into rolling out of her bed and towards the hard floor. With unhasting motions she dressed up in a white shirt and jeans and dragged her feet towards her door, stopping at the tall pile of books near the door. She kneeled down and started browsing through them, "Who's coming with me today? Hmm~" She hummed, running her finger through the spines until reaching a book that gave her a slight chill, The Stranger by Albert Camus. She opened it on the first page and read the first line out loud, which set a gloomy mood on the lonely room.

"Mother died today. Or maybe yesterday, I don't know." Faint memories of her prior life invaded Christie as she left with the book under her arm and a notepad on her pocket. She wondered if something was still alive up there, or if her mother had made it. But with the news report prior to the bombs and everything they'd been told once underground, the possibility seemed nil, "Probably not, though." she concluded after pondering for a bit. 

After a couple of minutes of a slow-paced walk Christie reached the commons, dropped herself on a two-person couch and started reading the book from where she'd left off last time, the thoughts of the surface still taking some space on her mind. 

"Good morning [sHELTER 64] residents!  Today is April 15th 2025!  Have a wonderful day!"

James Teach rolled over in his bed. "Ngh...five more minutes, Mom," he mumbled, pulling the pillow over his head. He felt as if somebody were shaking him awake, though, and got up, stretching his arms out and rolling his shoulders. "Oh yeah...Mom's...not here," he muttered to himself. It had been ten years, and yet he still dreamed of her waking him up most every morning. Sighing, he took a minute to adjust to his new reality.

His house before hadn't been particularly special. A small two-story with a basement, it had two bedrooms, a living room, a kitchen, a bathroom, and a dining room. His bedroom had had posters of superheroes and glow-in-the-dark stickers pasted on the ceiling to alleviate his fear of the dark. There had been a nightlight as well, situated on top of a small end table by his head. He had a Superman bedsheet and a starry night blanket. Every morning, he would wake up to his mother shaking him awake, smiling down at him with warm eyes.

Now, he woke up to a phantom shake every day, in a cold, sparse room shaped like a ball. He never had to share the bathroom anymore, and he could wake up whenever he wanted to, but...he preferred his old room, his old house, and the people in it.

James shook his head. I have to get over this...it's time for breakfast, and I need to get to the marshmallows before that Chasley boy does. So far he was losing by two thousand and sixty-three times, but hopefully today would be different. Stumbling to the door, he walked to the commons in the shambling gait found common to zombies. With the dark circles under his eyes, he looked every inch the picture-perfect undead. Just before he entered though, he straightened his posture and strutted in, head held high...right before he tripped over the floor divider.

"Ugh..." he groaned. This is the three thousandth and sixth time now. I want to cry... Holding back sniffles, he lifted himself from the ground and looked around, wincing when he saw Christine was there. There was no way she didn't see that...then again she might have been too busy reading to notice. I'm safe. The boy patted his hair and walked back toward the kitchen.

Thump.

"Why me...?"

uHOUCON.jpg

This routine was one Fiona had settled into a long time ago.  Every morning, somewhere between 9:30 and 9:45, Fiona would wake up.  Every morning, by 9:50, she'd have already showered and gotten dressed for the day and would spend a little while practicing with the flute and/or getting in some basic exercise.  Every morning, at 10:00 on the nose, the bell would ring and the date would be announced, then Fiona would grab her precious necklace and put it on before stepping out of her room to get another day in Shelter 64 underway.  True to the schedule and her routine, by the time the bell rung, she was already fully awake, dressed, showered, and had gotten some simple exercise in to stay in generally healthy shape.

Another part of the routine was having to get to the kitchen to eat breakfast.  That always involved going past other rooms and through the commons.  In its own strangely unique way, it was both a melodically haunting and eerily soothing experience.  This shelter had every room full ten years ago, but now only five people remained, including the overseer.  Food was running low, and the dwindling numbers around here were a grim reminder of that.  The only light consolation was that the boys constantly trying to beat one another to the marshmallow cereal was a fun little thing to watch in the mornings (even though Chasley won more or less every time), and that neither of them were interested in the peanut butter squares.  That was the breakfast cereal of Fiona's choice.

It was as she made her way toward the kitchen, she heard a thump then saw a boy on the floor.  Ten years ago, it could be a little bit of a guessing game at first glance, but with only two boys in the house about the age of this one, and with Chasley somehow always being in the kitchen before Fiona got there, it was obviously James.  How tired did a person have to be to trip and fall on the floor dividers?  Maybe he was staying up too late at night?  Not that there was much to stay up for around here, beyond staying up just for the sake of it.

Leaning over and extending a hand to help the boy back up to his feet, Fiona asked "Have you been staying up too late or something?  You can't beat Chasley to the kitchen if you keep doing that."

As he pulled out a package of powdered milk from the cabinet underneath the counter-top where the cereal was placed, he also claimed one of the glass bowels that resided in the same place.  Everything was so conveniently located...or was it just routine by this point?  It was then that a rather loud thudding sound occurred outside the kitchen area.  Chasley didn't even have to look...he was always in a hurry to beat him to the cereal.  He turned around, placing the powdered milk and some water in the bowel simultaneously, to see James indeed on the floor.  Fiona was there as well, helping the klutz regain his footing.  Chazz couldn't help but laugh.

"Better luck tomorrow, huh James?" he almost spilled his milk on the counter.  The slide of the locked lab doors interrupted his laughing.

"I'm afraid not Chasley."  Overseer Lebowitz cleared his throat.  "I'm sorry to bring you such terrible news.  From this day forth, every other day we will skip meals.  Meaning today's two courses will be followed by a day of fasting.  I feel this is the most optimal way of securing our food rations until a supply drop is brought."  Eyeing the occupants of Shelter 64, he couldn't help but feel like he had failed them again.  He started sweating and licking his lips nervously.  He didn't wait for a response, and hurried his way back to his seclusion.  The lab doors locked behind him, like they always did.  

Chasley was weirded out by the Overseer's behavior, but he nodded acknowledging his calculations.  

"Well...looks like better luck the day after tomorrow!" He tried to keep a happy demeanor.  Hopefully the others would understand.  

Right after James fell, an angel appeared from the darkness, helping hand extended! "Thanks, Fiona," he sniffled as he accepted, rising from his position on the floor. To be honest, he had a bit of a crush on her, not that he would ever tell her that. Knowing his luck, she was batting for the other team anyway. "Have you been staying up too late or something? You can't beat Chasley to the kitchen if you keep doing that."

"Not really," he mumbled, eyes downturned. How could he tell her the truth? That...he had a hard time sleeping without his parents tucking him into bed like they used to? That he would stay up crying like a baby over their absence? That was super embarrassing. Too embarrassing to tell anybody, but most especially the pretty redhead in front of him.

Someone laughed nearby. No, not someone. It was Chazz. "Better luck tomorrow, huh James?" James glared at him with all the burning passion of a sputtering lightbulb. Soon after, movement from the corner of his eye caught his attention. It was the lab doors. Usually locked, they were opening now, revealing overseer Lebowitz in all his white labcoat glory.

"I'm afraid not Chasley." the raven-haired man cleared his throat. "I'm sorry to bring you such terrible news. From this day forth, every other day we will skip meals. Meaning today's two courses will be followed by a day of fasting. I feel this is the most optimal way of securing our food rations until a supply drop is brought."

"Wait, what?" James screeched, uncaring of decorum. "Th-that means...skipping meals...wait will we starve in here if the supply drop isn't brought?!" He clutched his head and sank to the floor, "I don't want to die..." Immediately afterward, he remembered himself and rose from the floor, dusting himself off and coughing into his fist. "Uhh...I mean, sure, sounds...great."

Archived