[MtG] Announcing Eldritch Moon

Rodrigo

I'm glad that they're really ramping up the mystery novel/HP Lovecraft element to Innistrad. It's really interesting to see a new feel and new influence palette to familiar places, yet a nice subtle shift.

God knows what Liliana is up to though. Also, dat pink set name logo. It's so pretty. As is the SOI glowing blue one.

Such Lovecraft, much Liliana, wow.

While I doubt it, I wouldn't be surprised if Emrakul was here.

It's looking less and less like that is the case. The leaks we got seem to have intended to show off all the new and returning mechanics this set, I imagine if Emrakul were here, so too would her spawn.

It's looking less and less like that is the case. The leaks we got seem to have intended to show off all the new and returning mechanics this set, I imagine if Emrakul were here, so too would her spawn.

There's a reason Emrakul's spawn was rare compared to those of the other two; her description in the BFZ Fat Pack points to her ability to corrupt living things, and it's been implied (though not verified) that her spawn used to be actual living non-Eldrazi creatures that were twisted into her spawn.

There's a reason Emrakul's spawn was rare compared to those of the other two; her description in the BFZ Fat Pack points to her ability to corrupt living things, and it's been implied (though not verified) that her spawn used to be actual living non-Eldrazi creatures that were twisted into her spawn.

Vestige of Emrakul says otherwise. :/

Vestige of Emrakul says otherwise. :/

Vestige of Emrakul says Emrakul hasn't been seen for a while, and her spawn dwindled in her absence, but are still threatening.

Not sure which part of that directly contradicts anything I said; even if you don't believe the second bit about her spawn being originally non-Eldrazi (which I did say hasn't been verified), the first bit about her twisting living beings wasn't something I just made up.

I suspect that the Eldrazi, much like Nicol Bolas, will be long-standing antagonists in the game. (I do not wish to refer to the Eldrazi as villains, as that would make them seem like they act upon something other than instinct, which isn't the case.)

If anything, I hope to soon see what the f*ck Bolas was smoking in regards to the release of the Eldrazi and his reasonings as to why.

I suspect that the Eldrazi, much like Nicol Bolas, will be long-standing antagonists in the game. (I do not wish to refer to the Eldrazi as villains, as that would make them seem like they act upon something other than instinct, which isn't the case.)

If anything, I hope to soon see what the f*ck Bolas was smoking in regards to the release of the Eldrazi and his reasonings as to why.

Here's what I think regarding that:

The Eldrazi are basically the perfect weapon against Bolas. This is true; Eldrazi don't give a single f*ck about a madness-indusinc touch, theu're mindless, and a single Eldrazi Titan one on one with Bolas absolutely would obliterate him. Ugin thus wanting to keep them penned up as a countermeasure against him is not a terrible idea. That could explain why Bolas would purposefully release beings that pose such a threat even to him; Better to have them roaming free and causing chaos and diverting the attentions of planeswalkers that pose a threat to him than allowing them to stay penned up where Ugin/Nahiri/Sorin can crack the lock and potentially sic them on him at a time of their own choosing.

Probably why he didn't journey there himself to release them, even though he would have been perfectly capable of doing it by just bringing Sarkhan and Tezzeret along with him. He didn't want to be anywhere near Eldrazi Titans when they got out, and he probably didn't want to be on Nahiri's home turf either. She bound Ob Nixilis to the plane, she MAY have the ability to do the same to him, in which case he is SO boned.

So yeah. Ugin wanted the Eldrazi as an emergency deterent against the most dangerous planeswalker in the Multiverse, a sort of "nuclear option" that Bolas tripped himself to take the control out of the hands of his greatest foes. That's what I'm thinking his game is.

Here's what I think regarding that:

The Eldrazi are basically the perfect weapon against Bolas. This is true; Eldrazi don't give a single f*ck about a madness-indusinc touch, theu're mindless, and a single Eldrazi Titan one on one with Bolas absolutely would obliterate him. Ugin thus wanting to keep them penned up as a countermeasure against him is not a terrible idea. That could explain why Bolas would purposefully release beings that pose such a threat even to him; Better to have them roaming free and causing chaos and diverting the attentions of planeswalkers that pose a threat to him than allowing them to stay penned up where Ugin/Nahiri/Sorin can crack the lock and potentially sic them on him at a time of their own choosing.

Probably why he didn't journey there himself to release them, even though he would have been perfectly capable of doing it by just bringing Sarkhan and Tezzeret along with him. He didn't want to be anywhere near Eldrazi Titans when they got out, and he probably didn't want to be on Nahiri's home turf either. She bound Ob Nixilis to the plane, she MAY have the ability to do the same to him, in which case he is SO boned.

So yeah. Ugin wanted the Eldrazi as an emergency deterent against the most dangerous planeswalker in the Multiverse, a sort of "nuclear option" that Bolas tripped himself to take the control out of the hands of his greatest foes. That's what I'm thinking his game is.

I'm not entirely convinced.

The Eldrazi are far from the perfect weapon against Bolas in the same way that the Eldrazi aren't really huge threats to planeswalkers as planeswalkers can just escape. The reason why they've been a main conflict to the planeswalker cast is because they happen to be heroes, and heroes get themselves into danger. Bolas suffers no such issue. I also don't really see how they could literally set the Eldrazi onto Bolas. Sure, they can release the Eldrazi (and Nissa bloody did, of course), but they're not exactly going "now go get the bad dragon".

He didn't journey there to release them probably because he doesn't travel anywhere to do anything. He got his minions on each of the shards to deal with stuff, sent imps after Liliana, and generally uses planeswalkers for correspondence. I don't think Bolas + Sarkhan + Tezzeret could physically release the Eldrazi anyway. The main key was Chandra, as she's the only other one who knows ghostfire, who he manipulated in going to the Eye of Ugin.

And, besides, there's no evidence of Ugin even knowing of or meeting Bolas before he imprisoned the Eldrazi. Sealing the Eldrazi is probably just Ugin being particularly long-sighted. It's been shown that he doesn't really have a big grasp on small scale issues, and is just sealing them instead of the killing Eldrazi because of the potential effects on the multiverse ecosystem or whatever.

In general, Bolas is just keeping his hand in things. He had no strong reason to keep an eye on New Phyrexia's praetor politics, but he did. On the hand, in general, everything he does is a power move in some form or another. It's very possible that Bolas is egotistical enough that he thinks he can claim the Eldrazi's power for his own in some way.

On the hand, in general, everything he does is a power move in some form or another. It's very possible that Bolas is egotistical enough that he thinks he can claim the Eldrazi's power for his own in some way.

pretty much this tbh

what's important to remember is that bolas is what's caled a xanatos speed chess player

every move he makes, he makes with the purpose of furthering his own goals, whatever those goals are. if he sets something in motion, he knows it'll be to his benefit. if someone makes a counterplay, he makes sure his counter-counterplay benefits him beyond just being a counter-counterplay.

essentially, bolas is trying to stay a step ahead of the other walkers in order to keep his plans going in constant motion. it's guaranteed he had a reason for manipulating the eldrazis' release, and it's likely he has plans in the event they get sealed back up or outright killed, one of them is probably his desired end result. sorin resurrecting ugin... probably wasn't included in bolas' game plan, but who knows if bolas has learned of that yet.

if i had to guess, bolas probably wants the eldrazi titans dead

tbh it would actually be pretty hilarious if bolas assumed the people of zendikar would figure out the hedrons' uses right away, but had to delay his plans because they stupidly went around destroying them instead

Archived