Shine Bright Like a Diamond [Archetype] Diamond

Love of Ghibli

So as I return to using to DP I decided to make support for my favorite monster from way back when "Hyozanryu." Seeing as Blue-Eyes, Red-Eyes, Gaia, Buster Blader and Black Luster got support I gave support to my favorite old card of that era. So with that here is the set. I tried be original with the whole heavy graveyard requirement but hopefully it was executed in a good way. I have two cards left to make (in case the naming theme wasn't apparent lol) and I am trying to figure out what more the set needs. 

[spoiler: Emerald]

WWTLry2.jpg

[spoiler: Lore] When your opponent declares an attack or targets one of your monsters with a card effect negate that attack or card effect. If you have 10 or more cards in your graveyard the effects of this card cannot be negated.

[spoiler: Princess]

eowyU7e.jpg

[spoiler: Lore] 

When this monster is special summoned you may add 1 "the Diamond" Ritual monster OR Ritual spell card from your deck to your hand. If you do, you may reveal 1 Normal "Hyozanryu" monster from your hand to add 1 more Ritual monster OR Ritual Spell card from your deck to your hand.

[spoiler: Asscher]

wVHNvUC.jpg

This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or in the Graveyard. While this card is face-up on the field, you can Normal Summon it to have it be treated as an Effect Monster with this effect:

● Once per turn, excavate the top 3 cards of your deck, for each " the Diamond" or "Hyozanryu" card revealed destroy 1 card on the field. Send the excavated cards to the graveyard.

[spoiler: Marquise]
TD9Gna1.jpg
[spoiler: Lore] When this monster is sent from the deck or hand to the graveyard you can special summon 1 "Hyozanryu" Normal monster or 1 "the Diamond" monster from your graveyard other than "Servant of the Diamond Marquise." You can only use the effect of "Servant of the Diamond Marquise" once per turn.

[spoiler: Round]
AhsggRd.jpg
[spoiler: Lore] If a "the Diamond" or "Hyozanryu" monster you control attacks a monster with higher ATK, the attacking monster gains 1000 ATK during damage calculation only. Once per turn you can send 1 monster you control from your field to your graveyard to excavate cards equal to that monsters level. Add 1 of the excavated cards to your hand and send the rest to the graveyard.

[spoiler: Cushion]
ohImuJO.jpg
If you have 10 or more cards in your graveyard you can special summon this monster (from your hand). When your opponent targets exactly 1 monster you control (and no other cards) for an attack, or with a Spell/Trap effect: Send the top 3 cards of your deck to the graveyard. If you do, target another monster you control that would be an appropriate target; that attack/Spell/Trap now targets the new target.

[spoiler:Karat] KQV2reU.jpg
[spoiler: Lore] When this monster is sent from the deck to the graveyard you may add 1 "the Diamond" or "Hyozanryu" monster from your deck to your hand other than "Wielder of the Diamond Dust Karat." The effect of "Wielder of the Diamond Dust Karat" can only be used once per turn.

[spoiler: Radiant]
S32atbT.jpg
[spoiler: Lore] This card is used to Ritual Summon "Hyozanryu the Diamond Unbound". You must also Tribute monsters whose total Levels equal 7 or more from the field or your hand. If your opponent controls 1 or more monsters special summoned from the Extra Deck you can send "the Diamond" monsters or "Hyozanryu" Normal monsters from your deck to the graveyard instead.

[spoiler: Hyozanryu]
8guL2AI.jpg
This card can only be Ritual Summoned with the Ritual Spell Card, "Ritual of the Diamond Dragon Radiant". You must also Tribute monsters whose total Level equal 7 or more from the field or your hand. When this monster declares an attack send 2 cards from your graveyard to the bottom of your deck to  target up to 2 cards on the field and return them to their owners hand. If you have 15 or more cards in your graveyard this monster is unaffected by the effects of your opponents cards.

Also forgive the wording on most of the cards I am not completely clear on most of the current OCG. In fact if anyone has suggestions then feel free to correct. Other than that any questions, comments or concerns>

Well this is interesting. I see you took note from Carboneddon's anime effect in working these out and tbh I can dig that! Not everything feels congruent but it looks like either I am missing something or that some things are better than I think. Individually:

Emerald I am not a huge fan of being able to be used generically, but I suppose only negating and not destroying makes it not too bad. The benefit of it not being negated seems like it would be less than relevant but I suppose it is nice every once and a while.

Princess is solid, but I feel like there aren't enough ways to trigger it, which really makes the Deck feel like it lacks some much needed consistency to get the Deck going as a whole. It's a very good card and all, just in the context of this Deck feels kinda eh.

Asscher I wouldn't run at all. Being a Gemini doesn't help its case the least bit.

Marquise is quite scary tbh for the fact that it can trigger off of things like Twin Twister and Karma Cut and can make easy R7s off of the Ritual Spell. In the context of the Deck itself I would see it being possibly fine, (In fact it feels like it runs it tbh) but outside of it, it can get silly. I do feel though it needs something to be worth using outside of being fodder, but idk for sure what that would be.

Round I feel is dangerous being generic because it essentially gives any Deck a Pot of Duality esque mill engine. (One which admittedly if it came to 2099 I would immediately take advantage of) I less mind it in the context of this Deck, but in the context of other Decks, especially in TCG context seems quite scary. The Skyscraper effect is nice though, and make Hyozanryu rather useful, which is nice.

Somewhat awkward that Cushion is an EARTH, but I digress. Not too bad actually with something like Marquise in mind, and with the right field can be kinda scary. Probably something I would look more to if the Deck was more congruent as a whole.

Karat is rather solid as a card and I like how Mathman and Dawn Knight can trigger it, but its level feels awkward with the synergy of the rest of the Deck. I feel like if the rest of the Deck was more congruent as a whole this would be a lot better as is, but for rn it is just good.

Radiant is phenomenal and I would argue to make it require exactly 7 instead, but ofc the levels of this Deck don't support that. It is quite good, and makes the matchup for these potentially rough at times, not a lot more to say other than that considering how simple it is.

Hyo is way too strong and scares the living daylights out of me. It almost feels looking at this, the awkwardness of the rest was built around this. More than likely not the intention, but I digress. It's an easy +2 than can clear boards and at times secure direct attacks.

So overall, it feels like there are some solid ideas here and it looks potent, but from what I can see it looks kinda clunky. The best description for this would be the BLS support, which ended up going nowhere because of the lack of things that go together to create efficient means of advantage. The same goes for here, in which there are a lot of things that can go wrong with this mill driven strategy, especially for a Ritual Deck. I can probably give some lengthy advice tomorrow, but for rn my best suggestion is to build and test and see how it winds up for yourself.

Well this is interesting. I see you took note from Carboneddon's anime effect in working these out and tbh I can dig that! Not everything feels congruent but it looks like either I am missing something or that some things are better than I think. Individually:

Emerald I am not a huge fan of being able to be used generically, but I suppose only negating and not destroying makes it not too bad. The benefit of it not being negated seems like it would be less than relevant but I suppose it is nice every once and a while.

Princess is solid, but I feel like there aren't enough ways to trigger it, which really makes the Deck feel like it lacks some much needed consistency to get the Deck going as a whole. It's a very good card and all, just in the context of this Deck feels kinda eh. 

Asscher I wouldn't run at all. Being a Gemini doesn't help its case the least bit. But the swing of memories and shrine loopage...

Marquise is quite scary tbh for the fact that it can trigger off of things like Twin Twister and Karma Cut and can make easy R7s off of the Ritual Spell. In the context of the Deck itself I would see it being possibly fine, (In fact it feels like it runs it tbh) but outside of it, it can get silly. I do feel though it needs something to be worth using outside of being fodder, but idk for sure what that would be. 

Round I feel is dangerous being generic because it essentially gives any Deck a Pot of Duality esque mill engine. (One which admittedly if it came to 2099 I would immediately take advantage of) I less mind it in the context of this Deck, but in the context of other Decks, especially in TCG context seems quite scary. The Skyscraper effect is nice though, and make Hyozanryu rather useful, which is nice. I'll make it sack only Diamonds then...

Somewhat awkward that Cushion is an EARTH, but I digress. Not too bad actually with something like Marquise in mind, and with the right field can be kinda scary. Probably something I would look more to if the Deck was more congruent as a whole. Carboneddon's an EARTH

Karat is rather solid as a card and I like how Mathman and Dawn Knight can trigger it, but its level feels awkward with the synergy of the rest of the Deck. I feel like if the rest of the Deck was more congruent as a whole this would be a lot better as is, but for rn it is just good.

Radiant is phenomenal and I would argue to make it require exactly 7 instead, but ofc the levels of this Deck don't support that. It is quite good, and makes the matchup for these potentially rough at times, not a lot more to say other than that considering how simple it is.

Hyo is way too strong and scares the living daylights out of me. It almost feels looking at this, the awkwardness of the rest was built around this. More than likely not the intention, but I digress. It's an easy +2 than can clear boards and at times secure direct attacks. Well if it starts off at -1 (at the least) then it going to +1 isn't that bad is it. Especially if I haven't gotten to 15 cards in grave yet. I'll change it to bounce 1 though.

So overall, it feels like there are some solid ideas here and it looks potent, but from what I can see it looks kinda clunky. The best description for this would be the BLS support, which ended up going nowhere because of the lack of things that go together to create efficient means of advantage. The same goes for here, in which there are a lot of things that can go wrong with this mill driven strategy, especially for a Ritual Deck. I can probably give some lengthy advice tomorrow, but for rn my best suggestion is to build and test and see how it winds up for yourself.

I think I was jut so pleased with the use of the word "Congruent" that I'm not sure if the set was bad or not...however testing will be required. Like I said I still have two cards left (Pearl and Oval) and like I did with Bartender in Party of Fire I was thinking of using those two slots to fix whatever the decks issues are lol.

Off to the lab!!

Archived