In Regards to Card Sections

Okay this is coming from someone on the outside looking in so hear me out.

I look around at the different card sections, especially custom card related things (DP, the sections for the cards themselves, 1v1s, etc)

And I am a little confused. It seems there's more and more things being added, more keywords and more formats and many other things.

As far as I can tell there's DP and 2099 which is a spin-off of DP? And then there's other people's custom formats, and such.

I can't be the only one looking at all these things and thinking that to people not in the know it's confusing and difficult to jump into?

Not saying the sections are bad or unneeded, just, seems quite noob unfriendly. I could very well be wrong but just some observations.

The problem is that most creator groups don't have their equivalent to me or Sakura- someone willing to swoop in and explain things to lost newbs.

And there is a difference, before you try to say "it's spelled noob".

Newb- short for newbie. Someone new to whatever the thing is, who can be taught and made into an accepted part of the community.

Noob- idiot who is being willfully ignorant. Ignore and/or block such people.

While not relevant to the examples in OP, it is relevant to the topic. This is why, when asking to be the newest CC moderator, I suggest a revamp of Advanced and Casual. Aside from the fact that it takes too much effort to gauge the design of every card (thus making it easier on the mod team), it also makes it more user friendly.

If I am reading this correctly, the problem is not with the fact there are many card forums, it's the fact that it can be confusing not knowing your way around or understanding them, no?

I felt this when I joined, and I had to ask a lot of questions, but considering most of the people were friendly I found my way around easily enough.

If this is the case, perhaps a Summary of all the CC sections should be included somewhere which can be easily accessed from the main page? Because to be honest, I never felt that sentence next to the forum link did each site justice, especially since each sub-forum had 4 sub-forums.

2099 is a separate section because it is a custom format strictly based on DP that has its own system and is meant to be self-sustaining in a way, so a section is necessary, on the premise that it actually has enough activity to justify it. DP Section itself is meant to be about the program and its usage.

Granted, this reminds me that the section header of the place is placeholder at best, and the intro post still needs to be updated and tidied up, so I'll contact the handlers about this.

Admittedly, Advanced and Casual's description is...pretty non-indicative. It has been confusing like that for a while, I guess. Would definitely accept suggestions as of how to actually define either sections to not confuse people further.

When I was new I wasn't too lost to the sections. I found it fitting that Casual and advanced where separate. Although to be honest, I recently noticed that experimental was in casual not advanced. Granted, I never posted there. As for the Duel Portal section its mostly straightforward although I was a little clueless on how the original format went.

I'll try to simplify what the purpose of each of the sections are (the contest areas should hopefully be self-explanatory). And yes, I need to fix the descriptions on the forum, so they're more indicative of their functions.

• Casual Cards is intended for cards that aren't necessarily competitive, but are intended to be used in conjunction with other cards that exist in the game. Ideally, newer members should use this area to post their cards if they aren't up to speed with the current metagame or in card design overall. (Reminder that this used to be Pop Culture Cards, but was repurposed as Casual)
    • Casual Multiples is basically for posting sets or multiple cards (so they are easier to find); functions exactly the same as the main Casual Cards forum.
    • Experimental Cards exists as a section for you to post new concepts that currently don't exist in the real game, either summoning mechanics, new Types/Attributes and so forth. That used to be Any Other Cards, but was repurposed in late 2014.
    • Joke Cards is the CC equivalent of Miscellaneous; any silly cards are posted here (as are any outright broken cards that appear in the other sections). Prior to September 2014 (I think), these were lumped together in Experimental (Any Other Cards) but Saber/Striker/I at the time agreed that they shouldn't be mixed in.
  • Advanced Cards is meant for cards that have applications in the current metagame (whatever Decks or cards that are common at any point in time) or otherwise, higher design. Do keep in mind that Pop Culture cards are welcome in the section, provided you design them up to standard like you would for anything else.
    • Multiples is self-explanatory.
    • Other TCG is for members to make cards from other games that aren't Yugioh; most of the time, it's either Vanguard or Magic (with some Hearthstone).
    • Archives used to be RC-Written Multiples (when there was a split between written/non-written cards for some reason); it exists if members wish to access their old threads at any time
      • Threads in there haven't been moved, since there's over 250 pages worth of content in there and some threads are archived. It's a locked forum, so don't worry about it.
    • YGOPro is basically for posting coding projects for that program (similar to what YGOHack does with leaks for upcoming TCG sets) and getting help with custom coding if for some reason, they don't work properly.
  • DP is a combination of Advanced Cards and TCG, but with custom card pools (there are some Konami imports, but not everything). Admittedly, the tagging system is difficult to understand (but Nai's the one who implemented this thing in the first place; not me).
    • Main part of DP is posting your cards and discussion about the system in general (either as a whole or specific to a particular format). Consider this as the equivalent of Advanced Cards and the regular TCG discussion area, if you will.
    • Tournaments is sort of a mix between Banlists/Theory (due to the custom metas that exist in there), Your Deck (for showing things in your Deck off) and the tournament forum in TCG.
      • The stickied thread in that area is the current card pool that has been accepted by the pool managers and used for official DP tournaments (whenever they are used).
    • 2099 is basically an entire format of its own, hence the separate area. Darkness had PMed me (and Nai) about the idea back in November, and given the details he provided, it was best that it got a separate forum of its own as opposed to lumping it together with the other areas.
      • Again, ask Darkness if you have any questions about how stuff works.

If this is the case, perhaps a Summary of all the CC sections should be included somewhere which can be easily accessed from the main page? Because to be honest, I never felt that sentence next to the forum link did each site justice, especially since each sub-forum had 4 sub-forums.

I'd make a CC-wide announcement to explain the stuff I mentioned above, but I don't know how many of you still read the announcements.

Most we can do is update the forum descriptions and write them in general form (although I'd prefer to keep the descriptions to the point)

When I was new I wasn't too lost to the sections. I found it fitting that Casual and advanced where separate. Although to be honest, I recently noticed that experimental was in casual not advanced. Granted, I never posted there. As for the Duel Portal section its mostly straightforward although I was a little clueless on how the original format went.

Back then, CC was divided into Realistic Cards, Pop Culture Cards, Any Other Cards and the Contest forum (both general and 1v1).

• Realistic did the same thing that Advanced does now
  • Pop Culture was for cards that were based on characters from other media
  • Any Other Cards was for stuff that didn't fit into either RC (up to standard with the metagame) or Pop Culture.

Experimental is in Casual because given the nature of the content in there, didn't really fit into Advanced (as far as I remember from mod convos). Also remember that Fake Types exist (though most of the time, you should be able to use one of the 23 main ones).

Archived