Origami Archetype

shadowsapex

Archetype of low-level Light monsters with 0/0 stats focused on swarming the field for synchro summons. They each destroy themselves if they participate in battle, and most have effects that activate when they are special summoned by an Origami card or sent to the graveyard by an Origami card.

[spoiler=Monsters]

Origami Swan

Lvl 4, 0/0, LIGHT, Winged Beast, Tuner

- At the start of the Damage Step, if this card battles an opponent's monster: Destroy this card. Once, while this card is face-up on the field: You can destroy this card. If this card is Special Summoned by the effect of an "Origami" card: Draw 1 card. If this card is sent to the Graveyard by the effect of an "Origami" card: You can add 1 "Origami" monster from your Deck to your hand, except "Origami Swan". You can only use this effect of "Origami Swan" once per turn.

Origami Crow

Lvl 2, 0/0, LIGHT, Winged Beast, Tuner

- At the start of the Damage Step, if this card battles an opponent's monster: Destroy this card. During either player's turn: You can discard this card from your hand; destroy 1 card you control. If this card is Special Summoned by the effect of an "Origami" card: You can target 1 card on the field; destroy it. If this card is sent to the Graveyard by the effect of an "Origami" card: You can discard 1 card.

Origami Crane

Lvl 3, 0/0, LIGHT, Winged Beast

- At the start of the Damage Step, if this card battles an opponent's monster: Destroy this card. You can target 1 "Origami" card you control; destroy it, and if you do, Special Summon this card from your hand. You can only Special Summon "Origami Crane" once per turn this way. If this card is sent to the Graveyard by the effect of an "Origami" card: You can target 1 "Origami" monster in your Graveyard, except "Origami Crane"; Special Summon it. You can only use this effect of "Origami Crane" once per turn.

Origami Frog

Lvl 2, 0/0, LIGHT, Aqua

- At the start of the Damage Step, if this card battles an opponent's monster: Destroy this card. If this card is Normal Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 "Origami" monster from your hand. If this card is Special Summoned by the effect of an "Origami" card: You can target 1 "Origami" monster in your Graveyard, except "Origami Frog"; add it to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Origami Frog" once per turn.

Origami Owl

Lvl 1, 0/0, LIGHT, Winged Beast, Tuner

- At the start of the Damage Step, if this card battles an opponent's monster: Destroy this card. If you control an "Origami" non-Tuner monster: You can send "Origami Owl" and 1 "Origami" non-Tuner monster you control to the Graveyard, then, immediately after this effect resolves, Synchro Summon 1 monster from your Extra Deck whose Level equals the total Levels those monsters had on the field. You can only use this effect of "Origami Owl" once per turn. During either player's turn: You can banish this card from your Graveyard; reduce the next battle damage you would take this turn to 0.

Origami Cat

Lvl 4, 0/0, LIGHT, Beast

- At the start of the Damage Step, if this card battles an opponent's monster: Destroy this card. You can target 1 of your banished "Origami" monsters; destroy this card, and if you do, Special Summon it. You can only use this effect of "Origami Cat" once per turn. If this card is Special Summoned by the effect of an "Origami" card: You can Special Summon 1 of your banished "Origami" monsters. If this card is sent to the Graveyard by the effect of an "Origami" card: You can target 1 "Origami" monster you control; it is treated as a Tuner monster.

Origami Koi

Lvl 1, 0/0, LIGHT, Fish

- At the start of the Damage Step, if this card battles an opponent's monster: Destroy this card. If you control an "Origami" monster: You can Special Summon this card from your Graveyard with its effects negated, but banish it when it leaves the field. You can only use this effect of "Origami Koi" once per turn. If this card is Special Summoned by the effect of an "Origami" card: You can send 1 "Origami" Spell/Trap Card from your Deck to the Graveyard. If this card is sent to the Graveyard by the effect of an "Origami" card: You can add 1 "Origami" Spell/Trap Card from your Deck to your hand.

Origami Rat

Lvl 3, 0/0, LIGHT, Beast

- At the start of the Damage Step, if this card battles an opponent's monster: Destroy this card. Once per turn: You can target 1 face-up monster on the field; discard 1 "Origami" card, and if you do, increase that target's Level by 1. If this card is Special Summoned by the effect of an "Origami" card: You can target 1 "Origami" monster in your Graveyard, except "Origami Rat"; Special Summon it. If this card is sent to the Graveyard by the effect of an "Origami" card: You can excavate the top 3 cards of your Deck; add 1 excavated "Origami" card to your hand, also send the rest of the cards to the Graveyard. You can only use this effect of "Origami Rat" once per turn.

Origami Mantis

Lvl 4, 0/0, LIGHT, Insect

- At the start of the Damage Step, if this card battles an opponent's monster: Destroy this card. Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can banish 1 "Origami" monster from your Graveyard; this card gains ATK equal to that card's Level x 500, also this card's effects cannot be activated during the Damage Step. These changes last until the end of the turn. If this card is Special Summoned by the effect of an "Origami" card: You can add 1 "Origami" monster from your Deck to your hand. If this card is sent to the Graveyard by the effect of an "Origami" card: You can discard 1 "Origami" card, and if you do, draw 1 card.

Origami Crab

Lvl 2, 0/0, LIGHT, Aqua

- At the start of the Damage Step, if this card battles an opponent's monster: Destroy this card. During the Damage Step: You can activate this effect; this card cannot be destroyed by battle or by card effects during this Damage Step only, also you take no more damage for the rest of the Battle Phase. At the end of the Battle Phase, if this effect was activated: Destroy this card. If this card is sent to the Graveyard by the effect of an "Origami" card: You can Special Summon 1 "Origami" monster from your hand.

Origami Rabbit

Lvl 3, 0/0, LIGHT, Beast, Tuner

- At the start of the Damage Step, if this card battles an opponent's monster: Destroy this card. If this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can target 1 Spell/Trap Card on the field; destroy it. If this card is Special Summoned by the effect of an "Origami" card: You can send 1 "Origami" monster from your Deck to the Graveyard, except "Origami Rabbit". If this card is sent to the Graveyard by the effect of an "Origami" card: You can Special Summon 1 "Origami" Tuner monster from your Deck with its effects negated, except "Origami Rabbit".

[spoiler=S/T]

Origami Spear

Equip Spell

- At the start of the Damage Step, if the equipped monster battles an opponent's monster: Inflict 1000 damage to your opponent, also destroy this card. If this card is sent to the Graveyard by the effect of an "Origami" card: You can target 1 "Origami" Spell/Trap Card in your Graveyard, except "Origami Spear"; add it to your hand.

Origami Blade

Equip Spell

- Equip only to an "Origami" monster. It gains 1500 ATK, and its effects cannot be activated during the Damage Step. At the end of the Damage Step, if the equipped monster battled an opponent's monster: You can destroy the equipped monster, also destroy this card. If this card is sent to the Graveyard by the effect of an "Origami" card: You can add 1 "Origami" monster from your Deck to your hand.

Origami Armor

Equip Spell

- Equip only to an "Origami" monster. If the equipped monster is targeted for an attack or card effect: You can destroy this card instead, and if you do, you take no battle damage from battles involving the equipped monster for the rest of the turn. If this card is sent to the Graveyard by the effect of an "Origami" card: You can send 1 "Origami" card from your Deck to the Graveyard, except "Origami Armor".

Origami Kite

Spell

- Discard 1 "Origami" card from your hand, and if you do, draw 2 cards. You can banish this card from your Graveyard; Special Summon 1 "Origami" monster from your hand. You can only activate 1 "Origami Kite" effect per turn, and only once that turn.

Origami Airplane

Continuous Spell

- If you control no monsters: You can Special Summon 1 "Origami" monster from your hand. If you control no Fusion, Synchro, or Xyz monsters: You can, immediately after this effect resolves, Normal Summon 1 "Origami" monster in addition to your Normal Summon/Set. (You can only gain this effect once per turn.) You can only use 1 "Origami Airplane" effect per turn, and only once that turn.

Origami Fortress

Continuous Spell

- During your Battle Phase, if an "Origami" monster you control battles a monster: You can activate this effect; that monster you control cannot activate its effects during this Damage Step only, also, at the end of the Damage Step, you can Special Summon 1 "Origami" monster from your Deck. You can only use this effect of "Origami Fortress" once per turn.

Origami Recycling

Continuous Spell

- You can target 1 "Origami" monster you control; destroy it, and if you do, Special Summon 1 "Origami" monster from your Deck. You can only use this effect of "Origami Recycling" once per turn. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can add 1 "Origami" monster from your Graveyard to your hand.

Origami Banner

Continuous Trap

- "Origami" monsters do not have to activate their effects during the Damage Step. If an "Origami" monster you control battles, it gains ATK equal to its Level x 500 during the Damage Step only. You can only control 1 "Origami Banner". If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can Special Summon 1 "Origami" monster from your Deck.

So as a piece of advice, since I've been told by this from older members, it's best to start an archetype out with no more than 10-12 cards. This is because reviewers tend to get intimidated my the mass amount of effects to process, and most would be turned away.

19 cards is a lot for one archetype to be released at once...

But hey, then there's me, an experienced CnCer. Time to burn through this. ^_^

Monsters:

Swan: An interesting card. Utilizing this in combination with Supply Squad, or even Yang Zing Creation if it were to be splashed in a Yang Zing Deck, this card has great potential in the metagame. Since it can search when it is destroyed by an Origami card, I assume that you made it a combo generator on purpose, considering it can destroy itself for an add.

Crow: A self destruction hand trap. So you can also discard an additional card optionally after using this. I'm assuming this card will be important for the rest of the archetype, since they all get triggered by being sent to the Graveyard by an Origami card. Liked the reference to D.D crow there.

Crane: So this card starts the combo going once you get another Origami onto the field. Using Crane in correspondence with Swan is to maintain hand size and field advantage. A note of warning though, since these monsters aren't limited to Special Summon specific archetype cards. This means you can still get powerful generics such as Psy-Framelord Omega and friends. Also, Supply Squad has the possibility of being abused by these cards.

Frog: The Goblindbergh of the set. So everyone that I've read up to, minus crane, has an additional effect that triggers when they are Special Summoned by an Origami card. Destroying 1 card or drawing 1 card aren't exactly effects to ignore. I don't see any abuse possibility of this being abused in the current meta, atleast not until I finish reading all of the other cards.

Owl: A little confused by his effect. Isn't his second effect only a Synchro Summon that is only limited to Origamis?   Nevermind. Forgot that the Origamis get their effects triggered when they are Special Summoned or sent to the Graveyard by an Origami card. Kuriboh effect from Graveyard helps a lot too in case your field gets wiped out.

Cat: I should mention here of the possibility that I'm missing an infinite loop. Not with Cat in general, but some of your cards do not have a OPT restriction on certain effects. For example, Cat's effect to Special Summon 1 banished Origami isn't limited to OPT. A useful effect, in the case of fetching back your Origamis that were removed from play, but there might be a combo to capitalize on that effect for an infinite loop. Otherwise, there isn't anything wrong with it.

Koi: A good card in its adding effect, although I'm not too sure of the benefits for sending a Origami S/T to the Graveyard just yet. Again, its adding effect is not limited to OPT. I'm not sure what Spells there are for this archetype yet, but as long as you can get Koi back to your hand somehow, you can keep cycling for pluses. That's a danger to be wary of.

Rat: Nothing wrong with Level altering, but like i mentioned, this archetype isn't limited to only Synchro Summoning the archetype's Synchro cards. It's secondary effect to Special Summon is also somewhat wary, since Swan gives +1 and Crow -1, plus they can give more hand and field advantage when they're sent to the Graveyard by another Origami. Only the excavation is limited to OPT, but it just gives you more options if all the cards you excavated were Origami.

Mantis: The last two effects aren't limited by OPT. First effect isn't really anything special, since all of the Main Deck Origamis are Level 4 and below. However, since you can Special Summon this card for a plus one, and you can activate its effect to discard and gain another +1, this might be getting into the red flag for an overpowered archetype.

Crab: Noting wrong with crab, but he pretty much is an invincible shield that can bring in another Origami when he dies, unless his effect gets negated. Destroying himself and the special summon is fair, but the Origamis have a lot of effects that resolve when they get Special Summoned by another Origami, so you might want to re-check that.

Rabbit: Aw, it's a rabbit <3 However, since there isn't any OPT restriction on it, this could be a dangerous combination of Heavy Storm and Raigeki when used with crow. for example, after you use their effects, cards like Soul Charge, COTH, and Oasis can bring them back to start generating the combo again. This danger also applies to the rest of the deck.

Overall for the monsters, there technically isn't anything wrong with it, as long as no infinite loop is generated. Your opponent can still fight back with their own cards, since Origamis have their effects applied only when it gets sent to the Graveyard by another Origami. Also, because their stats are non-existent, they shouldn't be able to pull off any ridiculous FTK or OTK... I hope.

Spells/Traps:

Origami Spear: Okay, so this is how this archetype deals damage. Nothing wrong with the burn damage, but the secondary effect is a bit unnerving. Of course, I have to see the rest of the S/T first.

Origami Blade: Finally gives them stats. Only 1500 though, but Mantis could utilize it well. The others are more meh, but this card does have the potential to trigger their effects after attacking. Would only run 1 at most for this Deck.

Origami Armor: Wouldn't the Origamis equipped with this still destroy themselves at the Damage Step? The attack isn't negated, or was that done on purpose so that their effects would still trigger? Sending another Origami S/T to grave is for Spear's effect I think.

Origami Kite: Well, even if it is hard OPT, this card unnerves me because you can still use both of the effects in a single turn, albeit once. Discarding triggers Origami, Special Summon triggers Origami, and you still get a +2. This car dis pretty much 2 cards for a +4 if the circumstances are right. After all, Dimensional Prison and Macro Cosmos are still being sided into decks.

Origami Airplane: Begins the swarm. Luckily, it doesn't give an extra Special Summon, only a normal one. However, still kind of unnerving that it  can get out 3 Origamis minimum in a single turn. Luckily, having multiple copies of this on the field wouldn't make a difference, so no abuse can be done in that area.

Fortress: I'm guessing his is mainly for when the monsters are in face-up Defense Position, because it would hurt a lot to take on an opponent's monster head-on. Spear and Blade appears to work well with this card if you're aiming for a aggressive playing style, although Spear is kind of the main card for dealing damage.

Recycling: Erm... This card has the probability of not creating an infinite loop, but a long chain of combos that can be devastating. After all, this is creating an incredibly fast engine with this archetype, and atleast two effects resolve every time you use this card's effect. It's not the fault of this card specifically, but from the massive amount of monsters with some of their effects not limited to OPT, it makes this card really dangerous.

Barrier: Oh. So now the Origamis do gain stats when they battle. Remember what i said about the Heavy Storm/Raigeki combination with those two Origamis because their destruction effects are not limited to OPT or hard OPT? This can be really scary in creating a swarm, and then OTKing if you have multiple copies of this on the field. For example, the Level 4 Origamis have the potential to be at a whopping 6k ATK when 3 of this gets on the field.

Overall, nothing sticking out too much from the Spells/Traps. Barrier can still be removed from the field, although it starts off the chain of combos again when it gets sent to the Graveyard. I can't think of any infinite loops at the moment, but I would recommend going back and re-check these cards. After all, Supply Squad in this Archetype is even more ridiculous than when they were used in BA and Yang Zing.

Thanks so much for the detailed review <3

I completely failed to take Supply Squad into consideration when making this archetype. It does have the potential to create a ridiculous amount of plusses in this deck. I'll look into cutting back on the destruction effects.

Some cards may be in danger of creating loops. It's a really combo-heavy deck, and I can't really tell what might be broken without playtesting.

The reason I was so skimpy on opts was that if I wanted them on both effects, I would have to either use bullet points or make the battle destruction effect not activate.

Only 1 effect of Kite can be used a turn. Same for Airplane. And Banner has a control only one. So I feel that they're good.

Changed Cat's Special summon effect to add to hand, changed Owl's banish effect so it only works in the battle phase. Changed Rat's mill effect. Made Crow's ss effect and Crane's 1st effect send instead of destroy. Fixed Armor's protection and changed it so it can't yard spells. Made Recycling shuffle the first monster into the deck and removed its float. Added opts on Crow's ss effect, Koi's grave effect, Rat's ss effect, Mantis' grave effect, Rabbit's ss effect, a bunch of the s/ts.

Archived