Monthly Tournaments

Well yes, some people come here just for cardmaker because it is better some others. Even I wasnt gonna bother staying, but being alone is shitty. Events are really the best things here. Why dont we just host a monthly Dueling Network tournament where 50 or less members and duel throughout the week and the next? Idk just an idea. People that place will be given great rewards that encourage people to come here and such.

Klav tried to do this over a year ago I believe, maybe even longer.  It kinda just died out though even after people expressed interest.  No idea why.

Personally I would love to try something like this again, especially now that I'm less of a scrub from back then.

No one said this to me wtf

I have nothing to do with this shifty "meme" ;_;

That said, after the release of a set(s) seems more apt for timing, and there are sets or decks nearly every month.

And hey, the game is more interesting that it was in the last few sets worth.

Considering it takes pretty much a month to even finish a tournament on this (in my experience) then I think it'd be a better idea to do it every time a new set is released or when there's some major change in the meta. What do I know though I don't even play Yugioh any more.

Almost impossible to do more than 4 tourneys a year (last year, only 3 happened, 2 of which weren't even 100% successful). One every 3 months sounds good, no?

Most of us don't have the comfort to "join forces" due to several personal reasons (other tourneys/ycm stuff-related, RL obligations etc), so Winter's idea for weakly (or 2 weeks at most) tournaments is very good. This way, one every 2 months will be possible to happen. 32 people or more are too many, 8 may be too few and 16 is a good but risky number. Different numbers will need the use of Challonge.

As for "great rewards": Points, reps, logos, reviews and maybe an upgrade to someone's status. Anything else that can count as an award.

Why don't we just say something like this: A tourney will start at the start of the month, however that doesn't mean it has to finish within the month. If it runs over by a week or two, we simply wait til the start of the next month to start a new tourney, which also gives plenty of time to let people join each round so that it can start right away. I think 6 weeks is more realistic anyway, so this could work out splendidly as a flexible monthly-bimonthly type dealio

How about a YGOPRO tournament? The one in our club was postponed due to lack of participants. I mean we can find times where people in certain time zones can duel each other so we don't have any issues with people being at different time zones. But the tourney can drag on until the necessary matches are completed. One with like 8 participants lasted almost a week. i don't know how many are willing to follow this tourney through but it will take longer than 2 weeks for sure.

YCM is historically pretty lethargic when it comes to getting tournament matches done, so I don't think a 1-2 week long tournament is viable, as good as it'd be. When I hosted the YCMCS it took a good week or so per round, but perhaps if I'd put a cap in peoples' asses it could've been done sooner. I'd be interested to try out a quickfire tournament to see how it works, but at the end of the day people have busy lives and people live in different timezones.

I'd probably happy to host another tournament, although I'd want to play in this one so either someone else would have to take decklists or we'd just have to go on the assumption nobody would cheat (YCM seem an honest bunch so this would probably be viable).

TBH, it should be posted no later than April 1st, if someone posts it. It could be posted sooner, but I wouldn't post it until after Easter, given that the next set releases on April 9th, so DN should have it up in less than a week. Or a week. Point remains.

2 weeks to get it all started + have people know when it is, in order to minimize timing conflicts, seems about right.

YCM is historically pretty lethargic when it comes to getting tournament matches done, so I don't think a 1-2 week long tournament is viable, as good as it'd be. When I hosted the YCMCS it took a good week or so per round, but perhaps if I'd put a cap in peoples' asses it could've been done sooner. I'd be interested to try out a quickfire tournament to see how it works, but at the end of the day people have busy lives and people live in different timezones.

I'd probably happy to host another tournament, although I'd want to play in this one so either someone else would have to take decklists or we'd just have to go on the assumption nobody would cheat (YCM seem an honest bunch so this would probably be viable).

Like I said previously, it's probably much better to shoot for a bi-monthly basis, but always start the tourney on the first week of the new month, regardless of when the previous finished.

If it takes 6 weeks, perfect.  If it takes 9, then we just wait 3 weeks until the next month, and in the meantime we can gather participants and debate rules or whatnot.

Additionally, it might not be too bad of an idea to rotate out hosts.  This way, if the one tourney runs exactly 7-8 weeks, the other person who may or may not have already been eliminated can have already made the stuff for the new one (this is assuming that the previous is at least in Semis or Finals during the last week of the month) and so we can get started right away without breaking stride for 4 full weeks.

Honestly I think that's the most convenient format for everyone, and removing the stress of timed rounds (especially when life decides to kick us in the arse) might cause less confident members to join once in awhile.

As much as I would like to participate, I'm willing to take the initiative if no one else is.  However before anyone does anything, the rules and stipulations that apply each round (much like the general rules for the Monthly CCs in the card contest section) should first be completely agreed upon here.  That way, each new tourney is held under an already established premise, and it will allow those with a bit of inexperience hosting to feel more comfortable doing so.

Any objections to what I've proposed thus far?

I mean, I wholeheartedly disagree with the notion of foregoing times rounds.

It's incredibly annoying to have to wait on an opponent, then have them show up as soon as you're unavailable, even if you try to message them and set up times. Life is a thing, but this is why you make the thread in advance; so people KNOW it's happening + get as many participants as possible.

It's hard enough to get people to do their matches WITH a time limit. Removing time limits on rounds just means rounds will drag on forever, and that's not a good thing.

The tourneys can use:

1) The Round-Robin style, so everyone will be able to duel anyone they can at a current moment. However, to prevent over-prolonging the duels, a time limit for inactivity can apply: If someone is inactive for, let's say, 3-4 days, 1 or 2 points will be given to the rest who haven't dueled that person. If the same person duels noone for another 2-3 days, they're instantly eliminated. (This is merely an idea; it can change depending the preference or what sounds better.)

2) The regular style, preferably with 6-8-12-16-24-32 participants. In case of being 6-12-24, the remaining 3 duelists will duel with the Round-Robin style. (A time limit can apply here too.)

3? )Any of the above but, like DeadPool suggested, it can be hosted on YGOPro instead of DN.

Time limits can be annoying or difficult to keep up with, but this way a tournament won't fall apart only for 2 or 3 people that are unlucky or unable to duel at a certain time. Unfair, I know, so if I come up with something better you'll know.

Honestly the only reason I suggested forgoing a strict time limit was to make it more casual in nature. Of course there will be an ultimate deadline for each round, but I felt it would be better for most people if they didn't feel constructed by that deadline. I thought that might be more welcoming and potentially bring in more participants.

Like I said 2-3 days is way too short. Trying to force this thing monthly if just not gonna happen unless there aren't that many participants. I still think bi-monthly is a much better option, regardless on time limits and whatnot

-Bi-monthly sounds good. Tri-monthly is not bad either, but people may forget about it or lose interest (which I doubt will happen).

-The times limitations can vary. Idealy, a penalty for 5-7 days of inactivity could take place.

-As for welcoming new members: Deadlines can be unlikeable, but they're not the ultimate factor to determine the interest. A well-prepared tourney with enough participants, reasonable rules (perhaps with an interesting twist) and a non-hostile atmosphere will do.

The tourneys can use:

1) The Round-Robin style, so everyone will be able to duel anyone they can at a current moment. However, to prevent over-prolonging the duels, a time limit for inactivity can apply: If someone is inactive for, let's say, 3-4 days, 1 or 2 points will be given to the rest who haven't dueled that person. If the same person duels noone for another 2-3 days, they're instantly eliminated. (This is merely an idea; it can change depending the preference or what sounds better.)

2) The regular style, preferably with 6-8-12-16-24-32 participants. In case of being 6-12-24, the remaining 3 duelists will duel with the Round-Robin style. (A time limit can apply here too.)

3? )Any of the above but, like DeadPool suggested, it can be hosted on YGOPro instead of DN.

Time limits can be annoying or difficult to keep up with, but this way a tournament won't fall apart only for 2 or 3 people that are unlucky or unable to duel at a certain time. Unfair, I know, so if I come up with something better you'll know.

Round Robin is not condusive to the environment. It's a battle royale, not really a tournament, and Swiss with a top cut functions better.

A top cut of 4-8 makes more sense, considering tie breakers exist. Round Robin is just anti-climactic as a finale, at best.

Using DN is better than YGOPro, because YGOPro can be and is rife with technical issues/ruling issues, and these can skew the results. It's much better to host it on an open ended site like DN, where you can treat the game as if were a physical game.

@Progenitor: Time limits are traditionally 3-5 days, iirc. You should be able to get our duel done in less than a week. If people don't, the competitors who DO get their duels done lose interest, and it hurts the tournament instead of helps it.

Okay time to actually use some of my experience.

Round Robin is a very bad idea. Every tournament I've dealt with here that weren't the usual "These are the matchups do them in this order and progress" style tend to take a really long time.

For instance, not exactly Round Robin, but I did a tournament recently where everyone would get in 3 battles each week for a month. It was really difficult to get people to actually DO those battles, despite the multitude of options.

So basically more generic tournament set-ups seem to work best for YCM.

Swiss format or straight up Double / Single Elimination are the best options for this type of tourney.  The thing with Round Robins is that they grow in duration as an (O)^N function where Elimination is just a straight up O * N. Swiss plays out as some weird amalgamation of the two, but is still more or less a O * N since the total number of rounds remains fairly consistent regardless of how many people play.  Therefore if time is a major constraint and / or if there are a sheet load of people, Swiss is the most consistent.  However if there are not that many people in total, Elimination would be just as fast if not faster depending on the exact number.

I'll leave it up you y'all to decide how it should be structured, as I like both methods just the same.  Hell if you want we could just set a standard: At [X] number of participants we do Double Elimination, and above [X] participants we do Swiss.  The next step is to figure out what [X] is best for something like this based on the expected number of people and how fast we want these finished.

It seems like the general consensus is that this is best done on a bi-monthly to tri-monthly basis, which falls in line with my opinion.  I believe the round deadline should be, as Black suggested, 3-5 days after the new round is posted.  However, while it is important to meet that deadline, everyone understands that life happens.  If someone needs more time due to whatever legitimate reason, all they need to do is ask, at which point they can get an extension if they can find the time to finish within 3 days after those first 5 or so.  This will only be granted if said party notifies either their opponent, the host of the tourney, or generally anyone else who can pass the message, before those 5 days or so have passed.  On the final day reminders should be sent out by the host to those who have not finished reminding them that they have 24 hours to complete the round or notify the host otherwise.  If the party fails to comply, it will be an automatic DQ, with the chance of appeal should the person contact the host within a relatively short amount of time afterwards (I'm talking 12 hours or less for the sake of timezone issues).

Any objections to that?

Archived