SoulFire's Short Story Contest! [4/4 ~ Blackmailing for Entries]

SoulFire's Short Story Contest

[spoiler=What? A writing contest?]
Yes, you heard me right! This is the first of many creative writing contests that I will be holding! Buckle your belts and hold on tight.

[spoiler=Entry Fee]
Because I am a poor old soul, I will be requiring an entry fee for this here contest, luckily it is an easy 100 points!

[spoiler=Prizes!]
Top 3 winners will get the following prizes:

1st: 50% of the pot + 3 Reps
2nd: 30% of the pot +2 Reps
3rd: 20% of the pot +1 Rep

Pot: 2100
(I added 100 of my own ^.^ and 1500 from Aix <3)

Additionally all top three winners will be featured on my Wordpress as "Notable Fiction" with a link to their original piece (on this thread) as well as their YCM account (or anywhere else they may want me to link their story to).

[spoiler=Analysis/Rubric]
[spoiler=Analysis]
Story title/Author: ______________________________________________________

What is the surface problem?

What is the story-worthy problem?

Describe the main character.

What is at stake for the main character?

Name two of the story’s strengths:

Name two things the author should consider in revision (be specific, and say why you think this):

Final thoughts:

[spoiler=Rubric]
Craft issues: 60 Points
The story begins at the “last possible second” and is the appropriate place to begin the story.
(10 Points)
There is a story-worthy problem and a surface problem in the story. These conflicts are established early on and are significant to the characters.
(10 Points)
Characters are revealed through action, not just explained to the reader. Author “shows” rather than “tells” what the characters are like and what it is they want.
(10 Points)
Scenes are clear, well-drawn, and employ the right balance of elements—dialogue, interiority, description, narration, and exposition.
(10 Points)
The author employs causality to move the story along, and the action that takes place is significant to the characters.
(10 Points)
The ending addresses the surface and story-worthy problems raised in the story, is believable, and is both surprising and inevitable.
(10 Points)

Mechanical issues: 40 Points
There is less than one mechanical error per two pages in grammar, punctuation, etc.
(10 Points)
Dialogue is correctly formatted.
(10 Points)
The tense is consistent.
(10 Points)
The point-of-view is consistent.
(10 Points)

[spoiler=Requirements]
For my first contest the only requirement is that you write a short narrative story that is between 2,000 to 4,000 words.

[spoiler=Application]
Username:
Genre of Submission:
Submission: (Put it within spoilers)
Author's Notes: (Optional, will be read after grading the piece but may result in an altered score)

[spoiler=Participants]
*Bolded means submitted*
Snusnu the nunu (Paid 100)
Saiku
Lord CowCow (Paid 300)

Spinny<3 (Paid 100)

I'm interested, but at my current level, I believe myself to be inadequate to participate.

I'll try to notify you as soon as possible, but right now... I'm just not good enough, not yet. =/

It comes quicker than you expect. Just never stop reading and never stop writing.

I'm interested, but at my current level, I believe myself to be inadequate to participate.

I'll try to notify you as soon as possible, but right now... I'm just not good enough, not yet. =/

Even if you suck, there's no harm in trying, especially when you'll be able to get feedback. Anyway, throwing 1500 points in the pot, but I'm too busy to participate.

Archived