100 Objects flung into Oblivion

♪ ♪Aria ♪ ♪

Source:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/news/100-weird-objects-in-space/

So, Apparently scientists tried to "communicate" with aliens or other life forms in the void by sending memorable and unique objects, including a record by the Beatles, maybe aliens love music?

Who knows, it's still a mystery?

Which one of these is your favorite?

Discuss

Because of stuff like science-fiction, we humans have a very romanticised idea of what alien life might be like. Chances are any other intelligent life forms in the universe will be so different from us that any form of communication would be either impossible or pointless. They might not hear sound, they might not see visible light, they might communicate with electrical signals or something. They also likely think completely different to us, with no desire to explore or find other intelligent life, or even think abstractly. Sending songs into space is pointless since the likelihood of aliens having any comprehension of music is little to none. No other species on Earth (as far as we know) understands music, so why would aliens? Even if they do have music, chances are their notes and scales will be at different frequencies, since ours are so weird, so it will just sound like out of tune noise to them, assuming they can even hear it.

to be fair, if they're a social species, they could easily think like humans (for better or worse) and while animals don't understand music, they do react to frequencies positively and negatively. as for sound, if a species advances without the need to hear within the regular spectrum, then they'd have some serious disadvantages to compensate for. vision might be completely different though.

Well I mean, everything else is such a great distance away that if any of these objects are found, it is by a presence incomprehensibly more advanced than ourselves, or so much time will have passed that it doesn't matter.

A similar query is why we haven't detected alien radio signals. There are a handful of possible reasons:

1.) There aren't aliens.

2.) They exist, but we cannot detect them. There are a few reasons for this:

-Earth is a form of nature reserve, and contact is not allowed, a la the Star Trek prime directive

-The majority of feasibly close inhabited world have been consumed by an interstellar superrace, which is intentionally stealthy (this is quite frightening)

-They simply communicate through technology we can't detect.

3.) We have detected signals by them, but it has been misidentified as different cosmic processes.

4.) We have detected signals by them, but this has been covered up by government/corporations (I don't believe this one at all, but felt I had to include it)

I just want to know if there's any context of any sort given for these? I mean not that there's much way to do that but still. Most of these seem like they'd be extremely confusing even if someone out there could experience the same way we do.

"91. A triple barrel TP-82 capable of 40 gauge shotgun rounds, taken by Soviet cosmonauts in 1965"

Anyone else surprised it wasn't America that sent the gun?

"97. A sound recording of crickets"

I like to think this was sent by a grumpy scientist with a sense of humor who doesn't believe aliens exist.

Archived