Abstract Monsters [New Cards and Support!]

ExtremeG

“From a simple idea, inspiration blossoms forth to engulf the world in light and truth!

Open your eyes and embrace…The Infinite Power of Imagination!”

construct2_zpsubwsuqfs.png

Abstract Monster Cards are a new Monster Card Type that all share the common theme of being personifications of immaterial and/or imaginary concepts, such as dreams, will power, mythology, fantasy, virtues, etc. Construct Spells Cards are used to Abstract Summon them from the Extra Deck, which is a reference to how preexisting thoughts, events, and actions result in the formation of certain conclusions (a construct) that inspire new ideas and concepts (a abstract thought).

Abstract monsters are placed in the Extra Deck at the beginning of each duel, similar to Fusion, Synchro, and Xyz monsters, and can only be Special Summoned from there via an Abstract Summon. An Abstract Summon requires 4 conditions to be met.

1. A player must control a Construct Spell Card in a Spell/Trap Card Zone on their own side of the field.

2. The Monster Card Zone on the card’s owner’s side of the field direct above the Construct Spell Card must be unoccupied.

3. A player must control cards listed as Abstract Materials in the Abstract Material Box on the Abstract monster.

4. A card listed as an Abstract Material on an Abstract Monster must be in the Monster Card Zone directly adjacent to the unoccupied Zone, on the side the corresponds with the Material’s placement in the Abstract Material Box
  • i.e. If a Material is listed on the left side of the Abstract Material Box, the Material must be in the Monster Card Zone directly to the left of the unoccupied zone (i.e. one space over).

AbstractMechanics3_zpsow9zy1fl.png

Construct /kawn-strukt/ Spells Cards

Construct Spell Cards are a Spell Speed 1 Spell Card that stay on the field once they are activated. All Construct Spell Cards share a similar first line effect (similar to Ritual Spell Cards and cards that Fusion Summon).

If the Monster Card Zone directly above this card is unoccupied: You can Abstract Summon 1 Abstract Monster from the Extra Deck to that Zone, if you control Abstract Material monsters listed on the Abstract Monster.

A single copy of a Construct Spell Card can only be used to Abstract Summon an Abstract Monster once per turn, even if all 4 aforementioned conditions are met. However, as long as a player controls the appropriate Abstract Materials in the appropriate locations, the same Construct Spell Card can be used again one turn later. Different Construct Spell Cards have different requirements and limitations as well as secondary effects to support certain card types and archetypes.

Here are a few examples of Construct Spell Cards

[spoiler Inspiration Manifestation]

Inspiration%20Manifestation_zpsv3zvlwo6.

[spoiler Shining Hymn]

Shining%20Hymn_zpss5jtdpbc.png

[spoiler Secrets of the Mist Valley]

Secrets%20of%20the%20Wind%20Valley_zps0h

[spoiler Roar from the Mountains]

Roar%20from%20the%20Mountains_zps4ousysy

Abstract Monster Cards

As stated previously, Abstract Monster Cards are placed in the Extra Deck and are Special Summoned via Abstract Summoning using Construct Spell Cards. The Abstract Materials listed on either side of the Abstract Material Box on each card must be in the appropriate Zones for them to be Summoned correctly. Upon being Summoned from the Extra Deck to the field, Abstract Monster become unbound by their materials and can exist regardless of the positions of other cards on the field. Any Abstract Material that is listed in the Abstract Material Box can be used for an Abstract Summon, regardless of whether or not they have been previously been to perform another Abstract Summon.

Here are some examples of Abstract Monster Cards.

[spoiler Vesta of the Winds]

Vesta%20of%20the%20Winds_zpspobpmck7.png

[spoiler Nimble Forest Dweller]

Nimble%20Forest%20Dweller_zpsmvzdu6ik.pn

[spoiler Doomcaliber Harbinger]

Doomcaliber%20Harbinger_zpsioszq8bd.png

[spoiler Lightray Harbinger]

1%20Lightray%20Harbinger.png

[spoiler Legend of Simorgh]

Legend%20of%20Simorgh_zpsbjrdxma3.png

[spoiler Shadow of Simorgh]

ShadowOfSimorgh.png

[spoiler Starry Night Dragon]

Starry%20Night%20Dragon_zps1hsq82bf.png

[spoiler Fantasmos Drake]

Fantasmos.png

Support

To insure that a player controls the correct cards necessary to perform an Abstract Summon, there are a number of cards that allow for consistent and creative game play.

Here are some examples of Support.

[spoiler Rough Draft]

Rough%20Draft_zps12afbqmj.jpg

[spoiler Avant-garde]

Avant-Garde_zpsjrb7adxf.jpg

[spoiler Guiding Muse]

Guiding%20Muse_zpsmkzf2y77.jpg

[spoiler Dream Painter]

Dream%20Painter.jpg

Abstract Archetypes

[spoiler Love Fae]

[spoiler Philio]

Faeful%20-%20Mercy%20Philio_zpskbctfep4.

[spoiler Ludus]

Faeful%20-%20Charity%20Ludus_zpsxqdlb6ec

[spoiler Inamatus]

Faeful%20-%20Patient%20Inamatus_zps6nz43

[spoiler Storge] 

Faeful%20-%20Serene%20Storge_zpsth60g2eo

[spoiler Philautia] 

Faeful%20-%20Enlightened%20Philautia_zps

[spoiler Book of Love]

Book%20of%20Love_zpshlib3byq.png

[spoiler Cry for Love]

Cry%20for%20Love_zps4et4kdzf.png

[spoiler Faemagan Eros]

Graceful%20Faemagan%20Eros_zps6vswqcbr.p

[spoiler Faemagen Progma]

Graceful%20Faemagan%20Pragma_zpsxhxbl9gv

[spoiler Faemagan Agape]

Graceful%20Faemagan%20Agape_zpsx02j5rsr.

[spoiler Dreamfall]

[spoiler spoiler Dream Guardian - Brave Heart]

Dream%20Gaurdian%20-%20Brave%20Heart.png

During your Main Phase 1: You can reveal this card in your hand and target 1 face-up Gemini monster being treated as a Normal Monster; Normal Summon it, in addition to your Normal Summon/Set. This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or in the Graveyard. While this card is a Normal Monster on the field, you can Normal Summon it to have it become an Effect Monster with this effect.

• When this face-up card is Normal Summoned: Add 1 Gemini monster from your Deck or Graveyard to your hand.
  • Gemini monsters cannot be destroyed by battle. If a Gemini monster battles an opponent’s monster, before damage calculation, shuffle the opponent’s monster into the Deck.

[spoiler Dream Guardian - Hop King]

Dream%20Guardian%20-%20Hop%20King.jpg

During your Main Phase 1: You can reveal this card in your hand and target 1 face-up Gemini monster being treated as a Normal Monster; Normal Summon it, in addition to your Normal Summon/Set. This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or in the Graveyard. While this card is a Normal Monster on the field, you can Normal Summon it to have it become an Effect Monster with this effect.

• When this card is Normal Summoned: You can destroy 1 card on the field.
  • Gemini monsters cannot be targeted by an opponent’s card effects.

[spoiler Dream Guardian - Dare Devil]

Dream%20Gaurdian%20-%20Dare%20Devil.png

If a Gemini monster you control would leave the field by an effect of an opponent’s card: You can discard this card instead. This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or in the Graveyard. While this card is a Normal Monster on the field, you can Normal Summon it to have it become an Effect Monster with this effect.

• When this card is Normal Summoned: Send 1 Gemini monster from your Deck to the Graveyard; Add 1 Construct Spell Card from your Deck to the hand.
  • Gemini monsters cannot be destroyed by Trap Cards.

[spoiler Dream Guardian - Lord Foxerton]

Dream%20Guardian%20-%20Lord%20Foxerton.p

During your End Phase: You can reveal this card in your hand and target 1 Gemini monster in your Graveyard; Normal Summon that monster from your Graveyard and treat it as an Effect Monster with its effect. This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or in the Graveyard. While this card is a Normal Monster on the field, you can Normal Summon it to have it become an Effect Monster with this effect.

• When this card is Normal Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 Gemini monster from your Deck.
  • Gemini monsters cannot be destroyed by Spell Cards.

[spoiler Mijora, Dreamfall Dragon]

2%20Mijora%20-%20Dreamfall%20Dragon.png

[spoiler Entan, Dreamfall Leviathan]

1%20Entan%20-%20Dreamfall%20Leviathan.pn

The following is a comprehensive playthrough GIF designed to demonstrate how to perform and Abstract Summon and how to best utilize your field. Please see card examples for description of each cards effects.

output_CFXzrt_zps8y5n5ret.gif

[spoiler Manusript]

• Hand
    • Secrets of the Mist Valley
    • Storm Shooter
    • Barrier Statue of the Stormwinds
    • Inspiration Manifestion
    • Gusto Griffin
  • Secrets of the Mist Valley to B4
  • Special Summon Storm Shooter to A4
  • Move Storm Shooter to A3
  • Normal Summon Barrier Statue of the Stormwinds to A5
  • Abstract Summon Vesta of the Winds to A4
  • Inspiration Manifestation to B3
  • Activate Inspiration Manifestation: Move Shooter to A2
  • Abstract Summon Legend of Simorgh to A3
  • Activate Legend of Simorgh Effect
  • Discard Gusto Griffin
  • Add Simorgh of Ancestry to hand, reveal, add Hairy Dancer to hand
  • Special Summon Gusto Egul to A1 via effect of Gusto Griffin
  • Synch Level 1 Tuner Gusto Egul with Level 7 Storm Shooter
  • Synchro Summon Stardust Dragon to A1
  • Hand
    • 1 Simorgh, Bird of Ancestry
    • 1 Harpy Dancer

HEY KIDS! Want to make your very own Abstract Monster?! Well here's my template! GO nuts and lets see come creativity!

[spoiler Template] ForAll_zpskunytesw.png

Comment and Rate to tell me what you think of them!

Not gonna review as of yet, but keep me PM'd to any updates.

I'd like to however say that avoid any use of Archetypes when dealing with these sorts of cards, at least at first. Reason being that if you start with an archetype on a new card type, you wind up making the new card type an irrelevant factor and thus not worth the shorthand. Make them as generic as possible to the idea and not dependent on a factor other cards already have.

Icy - Thank you, that's very helpful. My concern with that was how specific I should make the Construct Spell that summons the monsters. Should they be name specific like the old ritual cards, or more general like only summoning Dragon, or certain types, or if I should just go ahead and make a Construct Spell that works for all Abstract monsters, since having the specific monsters on the field is cost enough.

Abstract monsters do not have Levels. I will not be responsible for Synchro and Xyz shananagins!!! >.<

Icy - Thank you, that's very helpful. My concern with that was how specific I should make the Construct Spell that summons the monsters. Should they be name specific like the old ritual cards, or more general like only summoning Dragon, or certain types, or if I should just go ahead and make a Construct Spell that works for all Abstract monsters, since having the specific monsters on the field is cost enough.

Anything involving names on a card would constitute archetype of some sort. Specific Requirements would also run into the same problem of negating the ease of use for a new card type. Your question of whether it should target monster types instead is not my call at that point. It can be done well, of that I am sure though not entirely certain, but it is certainly a slippery slope. 

An important thing to keep in mind is; "Can this be done just as well if I write it normally instead of with the new wording?"

So make both versions of each card. Substitute as necessary for wording etc. And see which comes out better. Because inventiveness with new card types can create redundancies. Which you want to avoid at all costs. And don't worry about the aesthetics aside from the symbol you already have. Card Color after all does not indicate where it goes but the subtype.

In all my years on site as both moderator and member, I've seen but one attempt personally that did all this well (done by a former moderator and still great friend of mine Browarod).

Anything involving names on a card would constitute archetype of some sort. Specific Requirements would also run into the same problem of negating the ease of use for a new card type. Your question of whether it should target monster types instead is not my call at that point. It can be done well, of that I am sure though not entirely certain, but it is certainly a slippery slope. 

An important thing to keep in mind is; "Can this be done just as well if I write it normally instead of with the new wording?"

So make both versions of each card. Substitute as necessary for wording etc. And see which comes out better. Because inventiveness with new card types can create redundancies. Which you want to avoid at all costs.

Wow... those are some good points and have made me rethink a few things. Like, not putting the carriage in front of the horse when designing new card types and creating solid mechanics that function on their own.

I have to say my biggest hurdle at this point is power gauging. Like, with Synchros and Fusions, the lower the level and requirements, the smaller and more useable the Fusion or Synchro, followed by monsters that need specific requirements to get out the stronger, harder to summon monster. Xyz, Rank 4's are easy to summon and have utility, while stronger cards have specific requirements.

My issue now is to think of the conditions that make it easy to summon smaller, more useful Abstract monster and then make specific requirements for bigger monsters. At this point I've just been using semi random monsters as the materials necessary to summon the Abstract monsters and just making the requirements the gauge of their power, but I see now that that would definitely make them useful/playable in a handful of situations rather than having an Abstract for any occasion.

You've given me a lot to think about lol Back the the drawing board! 

I have to say my biggest hurdle at this point is power gauging. Like, with Synchros and Fusions, the lower the level and requirements, the smaller and more useable the Fusion or Synchro, followed by monsters that need specific requirements to get out the stronger, harder to summon monster. Xyz, Rank 4's are easy to summon and have utility, while stronger cards have specific requirements.

This is an a rule of thumb I was taught. ->

An over-powered card can be scaled down. An under-powered card can not be easily scaled up. Thus it is better to work with what you have than to work around it.

This is Experimental Cards. Your goal has nothing to do with power gauging. It has to do with the idea itself and nothing more. Present it with provable justification first.

Cards updated! I really like how they turned out! Let me know your thoughts and critiques!

And don't worry about the aesthetics aside from the symbol you already have. Card Color after all does not indicate where it goes but the subtype.

Yeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I know I shouldn't worry about it, but what the heck, I have lots of free time :3 Hope you like the new design.

Vesta seems like newbie bait. It serves its purpose though I guess. Wouldnt run it. The fact that it can ping off whatever it couldnt handle otherwise is a little nice I suppose.

Forest Dweller has me on edge to be honest. I feel like this is where Abstract Summons would shine the most so far. But the benefit does not outweigh the investment (wouldn't even call it a risk) for having a pair of face-downs, Minimum. Then what? You're left with two additional spaces and at best you get to grave-mill 2 cards, at worst 0. Speak nothing of the whole what cards hit the board after vs currently on for the draw.

Harbinger has a problem that me and Trebuchet MS/Gadjiltron talked about. It requires players to keep track of things that would otherwise be ignored. Abstract Summoning requirements on your side is fine because the load is borne on you. But Harbinger makes your opponent play that otherwise game of technicality too. Just have it ping a card, any monster card and leave it. Ain't nothing wrong with a pretty beatstick.

That being said, include literally the most generic Abstract Summon Spell Card you can muster in the opening post instead of us just assuming it exists. Since ya'know it's a requirement.

Tl;dr: Vesta = Meh but good example. Forest Dweller = Love it but doesn't perform well as a card. Harbinger = An exercise in technicality.

Icy - yeah, I get that. I really just wanted to give some good examples to different combinations you could make with Abstract Summoning, but maybe should have put some more thought into it. Dweller was just my idea for a high defense floater. Going back and forth with harbinger of effect should be banish/destiny 1 monster or destroy spell/trap cards up to the number of construct spell controlled, so a definite 1 card ping regardless.

More Construct spells to come. inspiration manifestation is just kind of the general Polymerization of the set.

MS - Nope. Once the Abstract summon monster is summoned under the right conditions, they and any othe tvards are treated just as normal monsters (NOT Normal Monsters), unless, like Vesta, the card specifically states that its position on the field affects it it any way.

• 2 weeks later...

First off, let me just say I love this concept!

Most everything that I could say has been said already, so there is that. But one thing I would suggest is to leave off the opening lines on your spells. I know they serve to explain the mechanic, but it would be like every synchro saying that the levels of the materials must add up to its level. IMHO, you could benefit from removing the part that says:

"If the Monster Card Zone directly above this card.............................Abstract Materials listed on it adjacent to that Zone."

Also, as is my habit, I will attempt to throw a template together for you. I know you have at least part of one, b/c cards. But they look slightly inconsistent, which tells me you might have parts for it and that you have to "build" the card each time you make a new monster. I might be wrong, but i enjoy making these templates, so you can expect to see one posted here in the near future.

tl;dr

I love the concept. Im making you a template that I hope is easier for you to work with

Omg thank tou you don't have to do that I'm perfectly happy just using blank punk cards and transposing text from the card generator onto the card using gimp @.@ but I won't stop you if you want to XD

my thought for the Construct Spell Cards was because they are in the deck and have specific effects, like how Ritual Spell Cards all say basically the same thing on the first line only with a little variation :3

Would you like me to send you my file for the template I've been using?

Yeah, you can pm me the xcf file, if you want. I use GIMP too, so it should go smoothly. I started on it yesterday, but it's still a work in progress. I unwittingly made a small change to your layout with the template i'm constructing. Hopefully you like it. If loading each other's .xcf files goes as smoothly as I hope it will, I can make a full card template and a template for you to drop on a card from ycm.

This is what I put together. What do you think? I took a couple of liberties with it, but overall, I tried to keep it pretty similar to what you have already. It'll need to be re-sized to match the cards that YCM generates, but that should be easy enough.

[spoiler=Template]a9o860.png

Also, I have a question about the mechanics. Say you have monsters in Zones 1,3, and 5. Can the monster in Zone 3 (the center) be used as a Material for 2 different Abstract Monsters if it meets the other requirements?

Sweet! Yeah, I like the template, but I think I wanna stick with my own, I like the brighter, neon pink of mine and the Abstract Material box that I designed, although at some point I'll probably go back and improve on it. Still, thank you so much!!! I'll upload the file as soon as I get the chance.

The answer is yes. Any monster you control can be used as many times as you want so long as they are Abstract Materials. Additionally, there is no limit to the number of times that a construct spell can be used, unless the card says once a per turn. So long as you have spell and the materials, the sky is the limit!

I got around to completely re-doing the design of the cards and starting from scratch. The Abstract card design is now a lot more sleek and consistent between all of the cards. Added 1 new Abstract monster, updated and clarified rules on Summoning mechanics, and added a section for support.

Let me know what you guys think!

I don't think I have permission to say this, but in my opinion, yes. It is the same with Synchros, Fusions, etc. The only exception (I can think of) are Xyz, but that is obvious; they have ranks, not levels. So Xyz can't be used as Xyz Material, unless said otherwise. However, most Abstract monsters just need a certain tyle of monster, such as Warrior Type or WIND and such. However, if he does make Abstract monsters that need a certain level or such, then no. But hey, my opinion. PEACE! :/

^ this guy gets it ^

XD but yeah, like he said and like I said in the description, Abstract Materials can be used any number of times. So can Construct Cards, unless they say otherwise. Everything stays where it is an can be used at your discretion.

Spell, you've actually given me some ideas for an Xyz cars for abstract Monsters :3

Can you activate Construct Spell Cards the turn you Set them, although I am sure you can...

Also, how would the whole "Placing" mechanic work? Can you only put monsters in a specific monster zone?

Can you Abstract Summon an Abstract monster if the Abstract Materials are on the far right and the middle left?

Archived