Make YCM Great Again

Everyone here started off not knowing s*** and unintentionally saying something ignorant or whatever else. Give them some time, they'll either become active and valued members of the community or they'll leave.

But these Pojo immigrants are taking our jobs and decreasing the value of our establishment. They shouldn't be allowed in the first place.

Also not to mention if you're over 13 you have a funking brain and you should use it.

I'm being somewhat serious right now; this forum gets hordes of trolls or people who don't know any better. I'd rather have 1 reasonable person have some difficulty getting his first post analyzed and accepted than having a swarm of people come in and make arguably shitty posts or comments in any of the various sections.

But these Pojo immigrants are taking our jobs and decreasing the value of our establishment. They shouldn't be allowed in the first place.

Also not to mention if you're over 13 you have a funking brain and you should use it.

Age doesn't necessarily relate to forum etiquette, though.

For example, I was 16 when I joined here and this was my only experience being on a forum.

at 1st i treated it like a chatroom

where each thought had its own line

and i'd lol, kk, and use other abbreviations and emoticons very frequently >.>

And when I designed cards, I had no idea that Yugioh cards had specific grammar to their effects or even about the concept of a metagame. Especially nowadays, I think YCM prizes the latter as an important factor to consider in design. And that's totally fine, but newcomers to making cards and/or to the TCG may not be privy to that knowledge that they'll start to get as they hang around the forum more.

Dude it's not like some of your posts are the paragon of intelligence and quality. No-one's are. We all have stupid times, and there's several newer members who instantly were fine. This would just make them not want to bother.

Also the poor moderators would be swarmed with posts to go through depending how "new" you're talking.

It's kinda difficult to evaluate "quality" posts anyway. And it's extremely counter-productive to tell people "We don't think you're smart enough for our YGO forum".

As a recent member of YCM, and (if I may say so) a relatively intelligent person, I find this a wee bit... insane.

There is no such thing as a perfect human being, and unless this is the Matrix, everyone here is human. Suggesting that new people get their stuff filtered out is only going to hurt the website. People here learned how to act through trial and error, saying what they thought and then being corrected, by whomever was more knowledgeable. It's the same way in real life: you learn the difference between good and bad by doing bad things and getting your s*** kicked in by karma, and being rewarded for good actions. And to assume everyone who shows up is an idiot is incredibly negative thinking and will only damage the quality of this community (that's coming from a nihilist, FYI).You were new to this website too one day, weren't you? How would you feel if someone told you you were an idiot and that your opinions and contributions should be filtered out, when you've barely done anything yet?

If censoring stupidity is what you think needs to be done, start with yourself. Think about the stuff you're going to say before you snipe at other people who are no different from you.

And when I designed cards, I had no idea that Yugioh cards had specific grammar to their effects or even about the concept of a metagame. Especially nowadays, I think YCM prizes the latter as an important factor to consider in design. And that's totally fine, but newcomers to making cards and/or to the TCG may not be privy to that knowledge that they'll start to get as they hang around the forum more.

Some of us like to consider card grammar as a good source of design, because it helps us to understand what your card is supposed to be doing. You don't need to be perfect, but just make sure we understand it. (PSCT is somewhat difficult to write at times, but it's supposed to cut down on ruling issues; if this happens, then you do this.)

And yeah, there is a reason why Casual Cards exists; it's for members who aren't aware of the metagame without getting chewed out for making something that can hypothetically break the game. (We'll tell you that the card might need a toning down in general design, but that's about it). Casual Cards is more general design and less on whatever competitive aspects (I will need to emphasize that when the rules get updated).

I won't deny that we've had our fair share of new members who didn't know better; including some of the veterans here (myself included). But we got better over time and became better integrated with the community. Yes, there will be some new members who will be eternally bad or take longer to improve, but there's not much we can do about them unless they cross a line and we're forced to step in. Some new members are actually fine when they start, but that does NOT apply to everyone.

(Yes, even a lot of us have had our share of dark times; yet we're still around.)

-----

Oh and another thing to note. Having to wait for a post being verified means you risk other, older, members saying things similar first and you just became irrelevant because you had to wait for a mod to approve your post.

The process works in reverse too, especially if you end up on mod queue due to warnings and the like. You try to say something, but since you have to wait for approval, your comment will likely already be said by someone else. (A few members have had this case)

-----------

In all, this is a really bad idea and would kill YCM's activity more than necessary.

If this is about sdkinslayer and his little drama in Other TCG (and elsewhere), he's already been dealt with.

Neg reps would become rule-supported insults, as easy as one click. Despite the potential benefits, it would just increase hostility. I mean, fights have been started over using a rep to agree with someone. Can you imagine if they could be used to disagree?

As for the OP, the site would need like 50% more staff for it to be anywhere near workable, let alone efficient.

I don't trust the people on this site to handle neg reps. If anything I'd like it if rep totals were hidden but people repped more or less anything they agreed with, making the bad posts conspicuous by their lack of reps. That kinda needs more users, though.

I don't trust the people on this site to handle neg reps. If anything I'd like it if rep totals were hidden but people repped more or less anything they agreed with, making the bad posts conspicuous by their lack of reps. That kinda needs more users, though.

this is super legitimate.

positive reinforcement>negative reinforcement

I'm being somewhat serious right now; this forum gets hordes of trolls or people who don't know any better. I'd rather have 1 reasonable person have some difficulty getting his first post analyzed and accepted than having a swarm of people come in and make arguably shitty posts or comments in any of the various sections.

...no. it doesn't. it gets no one.

one person doesn't change anything. I've been pretty darn active as of late, yet literally nothing has changed with my being here.

Quantity > Quality.

Archived