Number 98: Dystopia (CPF1)

Ch7C7X6UkAA6mQ5.jpg?w=1024&ssl=1

Rank 4 DARK Warrior-Type Xyz Effect Monster
ATK 2000
DEF 2500
Materials: 2 Level 4 Monsters
When any player's monster declares an attack: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; change that monster to Defense Position. During either player’s turn, if this card is in your Graveyard: You can target 1 "Utopia" monster on the field; Special Summon this card in Defense Position, and if you do, attach the target to this card as Xyz Material. You can only use this effect of "Number 98: Dystopia" once per turn.

Holy sheet. They actually motherfucking did this. Damn it Konami, dangling lore-y, collectable cards in front of me to make my buy a so-so pack.

Anyway, being able to recur itself of Utopia is cool, but this card is really, really bad. I mean, changing to Def position? Stop the funking presses, I am so disappointed.

On the field, it's a 2k attacker that switches to 2500 DEF. Once it hits the Grave, it stops Utopia the Lightning and revives as a 2500 wall. I doubt the second effect does enough to justify running it, considering it counters one specific monster.

so this able to stop my opponent Utopia... dang it, i wish it worded "Utopi" or even adding "Hope" to increase the range of targets  this card can take down. the rest of its effects is unbelievably ugly

huge assortment of spam-able Utopia will never justify this card....unless this is a sign that we get another Utopia evolution, eww

the most gimmicky scenario that i could think of that its meant to as emergency ladder on dedicated Rank-Up Utopia.Deck since most Rank-Up-magic only care about Type of monster it target

so a bit of unprofessional  digging:

(98) can be read as Ku Ha means "Ward Place" or "Place to Ward" which in old English means "a place to be protected", reflecting this card (over)protective effect

(9+8=17) which read Hitotsuna, meaning "one i", "one me", or "Only Me" reflecting this card as Tyrannic/Dystopic/Dictatorial leader. bonus round: its add meaning to Number 17, i1 of Nasch Signature card further validate Nasch being opposition to Astral and Leviathan as Evil Ruler/ (1 of 7) Prince of Hell

(inverse of Utopia Number is 63, 98-63=35) making this and Ravenous on the same: 35=Sani, mean "the Difference" on Ravenous it reflect its ATK gain effect while on this card is refer to why its Reverse from Utopia

Seen as Utopia negates attacks could they not have made this force attacks? Like the Cain & Abel effect. Would've been leagues better and a bit more in flavour.

Alternatively, it should have had (in addition to its other effects) an effect akin to Odd-Eyes Meteorburst, which prevents Utopia from using its attack negation. 

Despite not being able to be used in the ways the original Utopia is, Dystopia is generally better imo.

1) Swithing monsters to defence mode can prove more useful than simply negating attacks (i.e. implying its DEF is lower than its ATK or Honest-like and other tricky situations can be avoided).

2) Utopia self-destroys itself when it has no Materials, while Dystopia does not.

3) It can even Special Summon itself. Even if under very certain conditions, it's still more likeable. (Also, "During either player's turn,..." .) Someone wouldn't use it outside a deck that does not use Utopia anyway. No that's is not playable outside of it, on top of that.

I think people are either ignoring or not noticing that the first effect doesn't target. Considering how many big-ass monsters there are sometimes with protection but with crap defense stats, such as Chaos MAX, Dark Matter, Dark Destroyer, etc. etc.; this card becomes a defensive means to cockblock those cards into vulnerable positions. Is it going to always work? Probably not, simply due to the reactive nature of the card. But, as 2-mat R4 that can also cockblock a UTL play, that's not terribly bad. This at least makes it one of the better defensive R4 monsters currently. To bad it only works on the attacking monster and not always the opponent's monster, though.

I think people are either ignoring or not noticing that the first effect doesn't target. Considering how many big-ass monsters there are sometimes with protection but with crap defense stats, such as Chaos MAX, Dark Matter, Dark Destroyer, etc. etc.; this card becomes a defensive means to cockblock those cards into vulnerable positions. Is it going to always work? Probably not, simply due to the reactive nature of the card. But, as 2-mat R4 that can also cockblock a UTL play, that's not terribly bad. This at least makes it one of the better defensive R4 monsters currently. To bad it only works on the attacking monster and not always the opponent's monster, though.

I noticed, and I know.

Oh, hey. Look at its design.

Its mask looks looks Yuto's.

And it's a DARK Warrior.

Phantom Knight support?

I was coming in here to point out that it's a DARK Xyz for PK. So glad someone else realized it.

Archived