Swearing

Religions aren't even that relevant anymore...

While I feel swearing is not relevant to religion in that way, it's not very tactful to make a blanket statement like that.

As for the actual topic in question, I think the profanity filter could be turned off, but could lead to something like what already happened, as Evilfusion described. To be honest, I don't think it matters whether its on or off, apart from the ugly looking words.

Because we have to pretend we're a kid-friendly site.

See, this would wash if there weren't so many ways to bypass the profanity filter. What's the point in having one if it doesn't apply to people with more than 10k posts (as if it's some holy grail that makes users able to handle profanity maturely), or if people can bite the bullet and make their name pink and sparkly in order to be able to swear? Even if this site was meant to be "kid-friendly", which it hardly is, and at any rate anyone over 13 should be able to handle swearing, and it's not like saying "F***" doesn't make it clear what you mean, as Zauls said.

I feel like some people are making a mountain out of a molehill when it comes to this. Realistically it's unlikely that many, if any people will abuse it too hard and even so it's not like "you f****** f*** go f*** yourself" is any less clear in its meaning than what it would be if it was uncensored, and if people get warned or whatever for overuse of filtered profanity (idk, do they?) then it's not a big stretch to replace that with warnings for unfiltered profanity. 

I'm referring to it once again but PS has an optional profanity filter but also replaces the words "baka" and "jabroni" (which are genuinely offensive words) with "poopyhead" and "meanie" which really does ridicule the person saying it, unlike just asterisking the words. I've never had to punish someone for overuse of swearing who I didn't have to punish for generally being unpleasant, I don't see it being much different here.

You know you can get around the filter anyway like, just use any bit of bbcode at any point in the word (though seems to work better doing it in the middle because the odd word will still get censored if you do it after the first letter or whatever for some reason). I feel this information should be more widespread than it appears because apart from being a bit annoying to have to constantly do it essentially removes the filter from everyone if they're bothered to do it.

You know you can get around the filter anyway like, just use any bit of bbcode at any point in the word (though seems to work better doing it in the middle because the odd word will still get censored if you do it after the first letter or whatever for some reason). I feel this information should be more widespread than it appears because apart from being a bit annoying to have to constantly do it essentially removes the filter from everyone if they're bothered to do it.

so if you can take the time to put some BBcode in your swearword, you can swear with impunity? that solves pretty much everything then.

Thank f***ing god that I can curse. Annoying as f*** if I didn't. They're ingrained in my vocabulary, that I practically utter them every sentence because I can and have just gotten used to using them in such a manner.

A-f***ing-men, brother.

But for real, censoring swearing isn't that big a deal, and I'm one of the people who get censored. I'm cool with it.

Archived