The Wanderer - A Fantasy Novel

Thar

I posted a status about this idea earlier and there was a surprisingly substantial amount of feedback, so I'm making a thread.

The story is about a headless woman who was risen from the dead by the power of necomancy and sets out to find her head. The reasons for her rising are unknown but are realized later in the story. Along her journey, she is constantly looked at, feared and/or spat upon by anyone who saw her. The catch to this story is the idea that even a headless undead bodies deserve empathy and that they know who to fight and who not to by virtue of honor and respect, which is a challenge because it's practically impossible to empathize with a character without knowing their true feelings, which a headless body has literally none of because there's no brain to stimulate it. However, the idea has always interested me and I've been wanting to see it be done by someone if not me.

Thoughts?

Sounds interesting but does not seem very sustainable if it's just one woman trying to find her head. It sounds like 2 or 3 chapters of a much more interesting story.

If I were writing this story... ;D

I'd make it about this Level 1 Necromancer who tried his first necromancing and he just brought this random woman to life. His Level 10 Necromancing buddies mock and deride him and his target, but she's earned a special place in his heart, sorta like a lost puppy since she's his first revival. He decides to help her go find her head, all the while wondering what made her lose her head in the first place. Was she a warrior who died in combat? A high ranking politician or queen who was beheaded during a revolution? A heretic who was killed, Spanish Inquisition style?

Having her have a traveling buddy would make it easier to explain away some things, and having a relatable character would make things more relatable.

Just my two cents on the topic.

It could be a really deep and heartfelt short story of sorts. Though it feels like it would be a several part one. But a whole novel not so much.

I like Catterjune's idea honestly. While the challenge to make an entire story based around this is nice it'd be kinda too difficult, especially if she doesn't have any way to communicate.

Granted I was thinking about making a story around a mute character, they at least have thoughts and can express themselves.

When I first read it, made me think of Celty. XD

Not really getting how they have anything if they don't have emotions. Where are they getting their sense of honor without higher cognitive functions?

I was thinking something related to muscle memory or like their soul or something, but I haven't really come up with the technicalities.

Pika's idea is a lot more usable, though.

Archived