Debate Section

YES

THIS NEEDS TO RETURN

This would be a perfect solution for people complaining about the current attitude in general.

The sad fact is, last time this was revived with Icy, it was Goddamned disaster. I don't think you can replicate the Debate section back to the way it was without the right amount of users to carry it through.

I mean, don't get me wrong, you guys are great debaters; but the original section had Pika, Crab Helmet, Dark, Vuvuzela of Triumph, Coyote Starrk, and Mihail Tals. Some of the greatest minds emerged from that section and established themselves as the penultimate icons that defined a generation of YCM thought and discussion. I love the idea of bringing it back, but I don't have much hope for it succeeding.

I think that can still belong in general. It's not like the section gets that many new threads a day or anything.

Well if we're allowed to actually have debates it might pick up. Like we haven't had a death penelty one in a long time. What's the harm? Worse case it's a general clone. Experiment done, call it quits and leave

I'm gonna put this simply. There are some really big issues in the world. Controversial ones. And understandably those get heated. 

General should really be just that, General stuff. This Cop saved a drowning child, Elephants are dying rapidly. Obama is running for a 5th term. Etc. News, General News. But the actual debates like Police Brutality, or Conservation or Tyrants should be kept to a different thread. People should not be afraid to enter general and just look over the headlines like they are now

What made the debate section work in 2008 was the mods largely stayed out of it. That needs to happen here too. People should know that the debate section will be aggressive, and you're argument will be held to a high standard of scrutiny. You can't really cuddle debates, and poor logic lends itself an early grave. 

It would separate out the hard feelings in general, stop derailing to a degree, and might even lower tensions on YCM cause not every thread will devolve into the "core" issues.

I think it's worth trying, and at the worse, we can just move on and accept it didn't work. We really can't be worse off than we are now

Personally not seeing much value when the only thing that happens in a debate on YCM is that the same points get repeated over and over, just less civilly as time goes on.

But a user-base policement based on the merit of ones arguments pretty much clean ad-hom out on itself, yes the threat of WP's is a thing in current general, but the mod are pretty lenient, something that wouldn't be true in a debate section

Incivility would be perhaps rise as most general threads tend to, but they would self-regulate and drop

Also there is the point that general topics and debate topics really shouldn't mingle

What's wrong with trying it?

It's a neat Lord of the Flies social experiment at the very least

I'm all for having a "Political" section, but not a "Debate" section, because although some stuff could easily be categorized by political and non-political, pretty much anything could erupt into a debate.

For example "The Sky is Blue" vs. "The Sky is Green" debate erupting from a topic named "What is your favorite sky color?".  In my example, the topic maker was asking which shade of the sky you like best, but it erupts into a debate about the true color of the sky (which by the way, the sky is technically blue, but also technically green, just depends on how you approach the question).

I'm all for having a "Political" section, but not a "Debate" section, because although some stuff could easily be categorized by political and non-political, pretty much anything could erupt into a debate.

For example "The Sky is Blue" vs. "The Sky is Green" debate erupting from a topic named "What is your favorite sky color?".  In my example, the topic maker was asking which shade of the sky you like best, but it erupts into a debate about the true color of the sky (which by the way, the sky is technically blue, but also technically green, just depends on how you approach the question).

pretty sure that would fall into misc territory though. while yes, you could debate over literally any subject realistically, I'd expect common sense to be applicable to topics, even if politeness isn't.

pretty sure that would fall into misc territory though. while yes, you could debate over literally any subject realistically, I'd expect common sense to be applicable to topics, even if politeness isn't.

I'm not sure about you, but common sense hasn't been so common recently, at least as far as I've seen.  Just go to youtube and look up "stupid people being stupid" for some documented examples.

Better idea, what if we just delete General.

No way, where else would I show off awesome/funny Youtube videos or interesting/controversial articles?

I'm not sure about you, but common sense hasn't been so common recently, at least as far as I've seen.  Just go to youtube and look up "stupid people being stupid" for some documented examples.

while common sense might not be too common, debates in general tend to get a bit heated, and many times people get overly argumentative in general. implementing a debate/discussion section would be a decent test, debates in general bleed into other topics, which isn't always a good thing. people who don't want to argue, and only wish to discuss lighter things can thus avoid debate, and a debate section would essentially be contained to itself, nothing needs to bleed out, and everybody would (hopefully) keep their salt to themselves. sure you risk topics like "is the sky blue?" but who's to say a fun debate such as that would be a bad thing?

A way I can see this work out is by creating a "debate area" for people who have beef with each other. This way they can discuss matters civilly without having it spill throughout the forums. But I don't think making that here would garner the best results. Perhaps it will work in the form of a discord chat.

A way I can see this work out is by creating a "debate area" for people who have beef with each other. This way they can discuss matters civilly without having it spill throughout the forums. But I don't think making that here would garner the best results. Perhaps it will work in the form of a discord chat.

That would be a PM though wouldn't it?

That would be a PM though wouldn't it?

One of the reasons I would prefer it on a live chat. To me it seems as though matters of this nature can be discussed real time instead of constantly refreshing and having people not involved get involved making things worse. A moderator could be more actively involved in this process. That way only direct parties affected debate and not people who take sides and blow the situation out of proportion.

One of the reasons I would prefer it on a live chat. To me it seems as though matters of this nature can be discussed real time instead of constantly refreshing and having people not involved get involved making things worse. A moderator could be more actively involved in this process. That way only direct parties affected debate and not people who take sides and blow the situation out of proportion.

if the debate section needs a mod to hold hands, then the debate section should not be made. debate is different opinions put against each other, if others cannot jump in, then there would be no reason to have it as a section in and of itself. so yeah, if it can't be done with minimal modding, then it probably shouldn't be done at all. and when i say minimal modding, i mean people should be able to accept opposing opinions, even bluntly stated ones without taking offense every 5 seconds.

Archived