[Leaderboard] Jeradin vs AsdfDuelist (FINISHED)

Jeradin

Ok 1v1 contests look interesting and i like challenge, so going to attempt to do one , here goes..

Rules:

-All Leaderboard rules apply.

First to 3 votes or most votes by the deadline wins.

All voters must elaborate on their votes.

Both contestants have the right to refuse votes, but must explain why they don't accept it.

-Written cards are allowed. (Must be in written format, cards with blank pictures are not acceptable)

-Cards must be PM'd to me.

-Remove any evidence of the card being made by you to ensure anonymity.

-In case a downtime happens, the deadlines may be extended.

Rewards:

-The winner gets a rep from the loser.

-All voters get a rep for voting.

Deadlines:

-The deadline for entries is June 12, 11:59 P.M. GMT+1.

-The contest ends on June 15, 11:59 P.M. GMT+1.

Requirement:

Make a Level 4 Synchro monster that has impressive effect that activates when synchro summoned but also an equally unimpressive drawback when it leaves the field.

Card A:

Saint of the Sanctuary

Level 4 - LIGHT

[ Fairy / Synchro / Effect ]

1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters

If this card is Synchro Summoned: You can target 1 monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon it, but banish it when this card leaves the field. You can only use this effect of "Saint of the Sanctuary" once per turn. Cannot be used as an Xyz Material for an Xyz Summon. Monsters with ATK higher than this card's DEF cannot declare an attack. If this card leaves the field, skip your next turn.

[ ATK 0 / DEF 2000 ]

Card B:

Chaos Shifty Scourge

Level 4 - DARK

Fiend / Synchro / Effect

1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters

One time only, during either players turn, you can change the Attribute and Type of this card to LIGHT Fairy-Type. When this card is Synchro Summoned, you can Banish 2 monsters in your opponent's Graveyard ; then send 1 LIGHT and 1 DARK monster from your deck to the Graveyard. If this card leaves the field: Banish all LIGHT and DARK monsters in your Graveyard.

ATK 1900 / DEF 1300

Alright, let's get going. *cracks knuckles*

Card A almost peeked my interest. The problem is that the drawback is one that shouldn't be used as there is hardly any justification for it. The Special Summon effect is alright, and can set up a Synchro play. Though given the drawback will still apply in that situation, it overwhelms the card and makes this card undesirable for any Deck.

Card B is something I started liking. As a Chaos duelist, I like how this joins the fun. The first effect is, well, interesting. I'm not exactly sure if it will remain that way went sent to the Graveyard, but if it does, it gives some flexibility. If it doesn't, then why is it there? The effect on Synchro Summon is too powerful. Instant BLS/Chaos Sorc setup and you can hamper your opponent's Graveyard plays at the same time. I'd say that is too powerful as it does too much. The drawback can be played around, so it isn't as bad as Card A. Just depends on when you use this card.

Eh, I'm going to go with Card B in this one.

Alright, let's get going. *cracks knuckles*

Card A almost peeked my interest. The problem is that the drawback is one that shouldn't be used as there is hardly any justification for it. The Special Summon effect is alright, and can set up a Synchro play. Though given the drawback will still apply in that situation, it overwhelms the card and makes this card undesirable for any Deck.

Card B is something I started liking. As a Chaos duelist, I like how this joins the fun. The first effect is, well, interesting. I'm not exactly sure if it will remain that way went sent to the Graveyard, but if it does, it gives some flexibility. If it doesn't, then why is it there? The effect on Synchro Summon is too powerful. Instant BLS/Chaos Sorc setup and you can hamper your opponent's Graveyard plays at the same time. I'd say that is too powerful as it does too much. The drawback can be played around, so it isn't as bad as Card A. Just depends on when you use this card.

Eh, I'm going to go with Card B in this one.

The drawback on Card A normally doesn't matter if you can OTK (normally with Quasar), since it said "skip your next turn", meaning that it doesn't prevent you from OTKing your opponent or creating a strong board on the current turn.

I'm not disagreeing with the vote or anything, I just want more justification on not choosing card A.

The drawback on Card A normally doesn't matter if you can OTK (normally with Quasar), since it said "skip your next turn", meaning that it doesn't prevent you from OTKing your opponent or creating a strong board on the current turn.

I'm not disagreeing with the vote or anything, I just want more justification on not choosing card A.

If one is hoping for an OTK to justify for the drawback in Card A, then I'm not buying it tbh. Doesn't really scream good design to me.

Card A is basically an on-summon Monster Reborn with a banish clause, which is generally fine. Granted, you still can revive other Level 4s to make this, BUT it's not a copy of Noden for Rank 4 things. Oh wait, this card can just recur him and then trigger his SS effect to get another Level 4. In a way, it's kind of a more lax version of his effect so to speak (but without the Instant Fusion abuse and hard OPT). To be fair, aside from maybe Synchrons and some other small stuff, I don't know what Decks can really Synchro Summon this more than once (and as mentioned in previous sentence, be glad that Synchros don't have an Instant Fusion clone of their own right now). It's a wall and stuff, but like Striker mentioned, if this card gets destroyed (either summon negated via Notice or really, leaves the field for any reason like Castel or ED/Tribute requirement, you lose your turn and that's a turnoff for even using it; unless you plan on winning that turn with Quasar or some other OTK plays.

I really don't know why card B can change itself to LIGHT Fairy-Type. Suppose you could do something with Agent of Miracles - Jupiter or trigger off something like Sky Scourge Invicil to screw over Spell Cards, but otherwise it seems to be...just there. Then again, it can kill Graveyard plays and set up for Chaos stuff into BLS/Sorc, etc upon summoning, so that's cool but at the same time, pushing it (you kill off most plays and at the same time, get the necessary resources to summon bosses and proceed to win). Drawback itself is probably not too bad for them; Escape from the Dark Dimension can retrieve certain things that get banished, but don't really know if they actually run this card (or if there are any LIGHT equivalents they can play on).

----

Card A is basically a less restricted Noden with Defender of the Ice Barrier's effect (without the added requirement) that skips your turn if it leaves the field. Yes, you can still win or set up enough on that turn, but otherwise the drawback is really too much for a lot of Decks to consider a slot for. (Quasar doesn't care much though, or really anything that can push that turn, but it's not really good design.) Basically, it's a very high-risk card but can push for OTKs.

Card B kills off Graveyard plays and sets up for Chaos plays (suppose they still have a few ways of making this if they want to), but banishes all LIGHT/DARK monsters in your Graveyard should it go. Unlike A, the drawback isn't as bad and as mentioned above, you can play around it to some extent.

----

The last clause kills it on A (that, and it's pretty much a Noden clone) and not fond of B being setup fodder for Chaos (if they even have the resources to do it, guess Ryko + PSZ will do).

Voting for B.

I looked at the two and found them both interesting. However, I guess i'm going to go with card A since I find it more interesting of a design. It's kinda like Norden with some restrictions and as a synchro. As for card B, mmm, I find it OK, but I can't see all that may situations where I would use it. So, I'll vote for card A.

Sorry if this review was a bit short, it was my first one in a long time (if ever) in 1v1s, and I didn't want to say more than I had to say.

Ugh, that is a terrible vote above. I think I'll just kill the 3 votes requirement with my own by voting for B.

Card A is nowhere bad, as it is a Synchro version of Norden that could be easier to get out in certain Synchro decks, mainly Synchro ladders. I mean, if you have a Norden in your Graveyard, bringing out this and fetching the said Norden instantly nets you with atleast 3 monsters to work with. Ignoring the restriction of not being used as an Xyz Material, it makes up for it with a very likeable secondary effect that reminds me of Defender of the Ice Barrier. In my opinion, had the creator simply reworked on the design by giving it a different restriction, and removing that last effect, I would've voted for it. Unfortunately, skipping a turn is pretty much putting yourself in a position to lose in the majority of duels. This is what really pulled me away to Card B.

Card B's first effect is a little weird, but I suppose some type of combo could be set up by it. The second effect is very likeable though, especially for Chaos Decks. Not only does it have a inbuilt Rhapsody in Berserk effect, it can also acts as 2 Foolish Burials. This can be very beneficial in a lot of ways, such as dumping Shaddolls or Lightsworns into the Graveyard (If you're playing that Deck where it's mixed), dumping Black Dragon Collapserpent and White Dragon Wyverburster, etc. Either way, it's very potent in setting up Chaos fuel.

The last effect is a little bit stingy, but I suppose that it's acceptable giving the fact that this card does act as a more restrictive Lavalval Chain. Note that I never read the votes of others unless they stand out (usually when it's a crap vote), so I apologize if there's any occurrence of repetition.

Yeah, I'll probably have to step in and just reject the vote for a while until cr47t explains a bit more on both of them; however if the participants accept your vote and ends the contest, then suppose it won't really mean much in the long run. (A note that CC mods can overrule participant / Striker's vote acceptance/rejections if necessary, but that power is not used unless totally necessary)

Other than that, don't worry about it Yuuji/Yuuko (what do you want to be addressed as?); if you need to reiterate something, fine. (All of us mentioned something about A's last effect being a turn off for some parts, and B has Chaos mentioned to varying degrees)

Archived