Why is YCM on a decline

So a few days ago someone posted a status about YCM (think it was about neg votes) and many old timers said that YCM was better in the past. 

I've only been on this site for a short time, and I'm not too well known, but even I can see a sorta drop in quality from say early 2015 to now

Why is YCM so much poorer and what can be done to fix it (if anything?)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone's always saying that.

I think it's an age thing where people feel like the forum's not as good as when they joined a year(s) ago. And that makes sense; ever since the complaining member joined, people have come and gone. Some of them good friends that they miss seeing around. Others were people who made things lively, at least to them. A lot of these feelings flare in particular when the latest bit of drama occurs. Back then, it seemed like a popcorn fest or they were in the thick of it. Now it may seem pointless and stupid, another sorry display that shows how much the site's gone to sheet. Or maybe the perpetual CC drought seems particularly empty today as opposed to the good old days.

I'd say it largely depends on the community in shaping the user's perception of the forum. I thought YCM was at its best during 2010-2011 because I was in the thick of things and constantly found things to talk about, nowadays I hardly post. I don't necessarily think YCM's gone to sheet, it's just past my time.

It's a cycle. YCM will seem like it doesn't get any better or getting worse when it's usually/mostly just people coming and going resulting in cultural change.

This is the YCM equivalent of when the press said we were entering an ice age after a few cold winters. If you actually looked back at old TCG discussion, the vast majority of people here were actually terrible. Like, just horrendously bad. There were exceptions, of course, but general tcg knowledge has been at an all time high in the last year or so, and compared to other online communities we are relatively ahead of the curve.

The people who talk about how ycm was at its best in 2012 aren't saying how it was such a high minded brewing community, they are talking about how much fun they had in the social aspects of the site, largely through C&O. Yes, there were things like Eisbahn, but that, once again, is a part of the social sphere of the site. And truly, that hasn't declined either. The players are different, yes, but with the existence of misc, YCM has just about as much social interaction now as it did back in the C&O era, if not more. 

As for straight-up activity in different areas in the site, that obviously is something that ebbs and flows over time. TCG is not as active as if was a year ago. A year ago, it was more active than the previous year. That is just how it works. Microanalysis causes you to not realize how all the details actually fit together.

Would there be a way to bring back C&O

Or make CC more live again. I don't know if Black was one of those "exceptions" you mentioned, but in general he's been right about the way YCM is working

I thought it was General's over politicization that was alienating people, but the Debate section seems to have cleaned it up to the most part. 

I guess I should rephrase, would there be a way to make some of the alluring aspects of 2012/2011 return to the site

Would there be a way to bring back C&O

Or make CC more live again. I don't know if Black was one of those "exceptions" you mentioned, but in general he's been right about the way YCM is working

I thought it was General's over politicization that was alienating people, but the Debate section seems to have cleaned it up to the most part. 

I guess I should rephrase, would there be a way to make some of the alluring aspects of 2012/2011 return to the site

Well

Part of what made C&O thrive was that it basically functioned as a group of mini skype chats. It was fun, but it insanely inflated post count. Personally, I wouldn't find that to be a big deal if everyone skyrocketed in posts, but it remains a controversial issue where it most likely won't return to that state. I know post count is currently enabled there, but from what I understand is that clubs need to have a recurring group activity for the club to revolve around rather than discussing random crap.

I'd say C&O would thrive if the old culture returned, but I don't think the majority would go for that.

As for your last question, that'd depend on the aspects in question. Maybe? 

I would just like to say 2011 was not that great from what I saw of it, compared to more recent times. Honestly only reason I came back was (well for one cause I remembered it existed again) mainly that when I looked around it seemed like a nice place.

Fusion said it best really. It's a matter of perspective.

The only reason I'd say it was better in, say, 2014 and 2015 for me was because I got into less arguments/people felt less aggressive towards me in general.

Take that however you will.

Well there's really nobody like that here?

shifty eyes

----------------

Personally, I believe it's the lack of activity. This is cheesy, but I've been trying my hardest to pump out posts, and I've stuck my feet in the water in a few places, but one user won't change much.

I'd like more in CC, because, as was mentioned, C&O is dead af.

My philosophy would be to hope for the best, do what you can, and try not to control what you can't control.

I think ycm is great so far , different characters on here with interesting personalities, most of time laid back from what I can tell but also very passionate and adamant when it comes to certain topics, I plan on being an active member as long as the site keeps breathing

Has a high-paying job as a indie game developer..why the funk would he come back here :/

I didn't say she would ever come back. I just said that those three people must return in order for this site to be even remotely as good as it used to be. That being said, I still think things are great right now. Not to the level they were back in the day, but still good.

I didn't say she would ever come back. I just said that those three people must return in order for this site to be even remotely as good as it used to be. That being said, I still think things are great right now. Not to the level they were back in the day, but still good.

He*

lmao is that the same rumour he spread years ago or did something new occur? His name is Robert Yang, mate.

Let's see.

• Custom Cards had ragnarok1945, who a lot of people didn't like because his posts had no substance. But yes, it was a lot more active at that time. 
  • Not too sure on TCG because I didn't care as much back then about that area. I remember that Eisbahn thread in there, and that's it.
  • Not sure on Fanfic/RP, but I did go in there a few times and they were relatively active.
  • Showcase had more of the veterans around (including DG, Yondaime, EHK and some others)
  • Clubs/Organizations were definitely active (and the reason for a lot of our post counts), though content-wise, ranged from on-topic things to things resembling Skype/Discord chats. 

After 12/14/2011, I don't know what changed afterwards since I went on leave (in terms of activity), but since returning in mid/late 2013, the activity of YCM did go down a bit from what I remembered from back then. 

-----

For Custom Cards, things are being done to try and encourage more activity in the area (The Advanced Clause is not supposed to deter activity, but rather that you at least know what you're talking about in terms of the card/interactions; compliments are fine though.) We do have the monthly tournaments [admittedly not always, because it depends on my course schedule, and some months, I will be busy (may be even more scattered as I start getting a job + having to deal with harder coursework)]. We have considered some other options to revitalize the section, but either those ideas have been tried/failed in the past, or are simply not feasible at the moment. 

Well

Part of what made C&O thrive was that it basically functioned as a group of mini skype chats. It was fun, but it insanely inflated post count. Personally, I wouldn't find that to be a big deal if everyone skyrocketed in posts, but it remains a controversial issue where it most likely won't return to that state. I know post count is currently enabled there, but from what I understand is that clubs need to have a recurring group activity for the club to revolve around rather than discussing random crap.

I'd say C&O would thrive if the old culture returned, but I don't think the majority would go for that.

As for your last question, that'd depend on the aspects in question. Maybe? 

That rule was set in place by Mugen; now that he's officially retired (no more mod powers), I don't know if Rai intends to keep it or make some changes as deemed necessary. But otherwise, just sure your club is actually doing something instead of turning it into something that can very well go on Skype like random convos. 

For Akatsuki (since you and I were in it), designing Naruto OCs for a story or doing a RP of sorts would probably be fine as an activity (despite the series having ended last year; we still have the Boruto manga if I remember). Pokemon clubs can either do cardmaking things, Fakemon ideas similar to Smogon CAP (I haven't been keeping tabs on them lately) and so on. [i know Cow does Showdown tournaments for his club; AGM has cardmaking projects and yeah, dk what other clubs are really active lately]

After 12/14/2011, I don't know what changed afterwards since I went on leave (in terms of activity), but since returning in mid/late 2013, the activity of YCM did go down a bit from what I remembered from back then. 

That was around the time the entire layout of YCM was redone by YCMaker,

during that period, the entire site was down for days and many new members just assumed it was gone for good so they never came back.

Let me tell you, the loss of members was not gradual, it was instantaneous. Once the site got back on, many people didn't come back, and the whole place became very empty for a long while.

yugiohs just not as popular as it was

around 09-10 it top post daily average #1 was around 120, and the #20 was like 20. now #1 sometimes gets to 20, and #20 gets to like 4. 

There's def more to YCM than YGO.

I think Nico getting the clubs running again is a great start, but I'm afraid it's too little too late

Archived