Why is YCM on a decline

There's def more to YCM than YGO.

I think Nico getting the clubs running again is a great start, but I'm afraid it's too little too late

Yes, but that's not what attracts members. Members came looking for a way to make YGO cards. Then the more interested ones moved to the forums and stayed. Over time a lot of them lost interest and left. The amount of people leaving, and the fact that YGO became less popular so there's less new members.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's also the thing about no Pendulums in the card maker 2 years after their launch.

I disappeared after my initial stint of activity in 2011, then resurfaced in 2013 after noticing PSCT making things easier to read and Xyz Monsters being added to the card maker.

Why settle with YCM's functions when other programs or Photoshop templates can do better?

I'll be honest; my main reason for coming here in 2009 was pretty much the cardmaker; only after a couple weeks did I care about even touching the forums, as bad as my initial posts were.

To be fair, I really only came back in 2013 because the cardmaker finally had Xyz added (among other factors like free time to even check my email that was associated with this account), otherwise I'd probably still be gone. But really, YCM was pretty much on my mind somewhere even when I didn't think about this place. 

(If you need to know why I left in the first place, like many members, I simply lost interest in the site and how things were turning out in the end. More specifically, I didn't feel that there was anything I could really do at the time; club died out, Custom Cards wasn't appealing anymore [ironic considering that I run that now] and other places being toxic at the time.)

-----

But as already mentioned, most people come for the cardmaker, and as we're already more than halfway through ARC-V and STILL no Pendulums, members stop caring. I mean, we do have Zextra (and my) templates, but some members don't want to use PS/GIMP for cardmaking; OR they have TCGEditor which is pretty much the better version of our cardmaker in general. That, and the way Konami designed stuff lately and how those changes make the game unpleasant to deal with.

Looking at the new members who posted in Intros, most of them don't bother to go further and post elsewhere (and it's not because we tell them the same basic thing; we really do mean it); some members stick around.

I am kinda curious though. I'm not on any other forum. What's an "active" forum like?

Everything happens faster. You post a thread of absolutely anything you're going to get a reply within a couple of minutes due to the sheer volume of people. Also the only other forum I've properly been on didn't have sheet like the advanced clause and stuff, literally any thread in any section you could just post whatever and as long as it's not completely pointless shitposting or flaming or whatever you don't get moderated.

That is partly due to the speed at which it happens also, because nobody is arsed going around warning every second post when there's dozens every minute. On here, apart from occasional bursts in TCG and general, everything happens at a slow, slow pace. Like, TCG and general would be the 2 most active in terms of posting I imagine, but there's threads whose last reply was on the 11th and the 9th of June respectively. To contrast that with Enguin's super-secret other forum, whose activity has actually greatly fallen in the last 2/3 years, and you've still to go to the 11th page to find a thread that old.

Oh and also memes that arise from forum incidents spread and die faster, or endure the test of time and still crop up years later, though that's pretty much what happens here too, only it goes to further extremes.

tl;dr - more posts

Everything happens faster. You post a thread of absolutely anything you're going to get a reply within a couple of minutes due to the sheer volume of people. Also the only other forum I've properly been on didn't have sheet like the advanced clause and stuff, literally any thread in any section you could just post whatever and as long as it's not completely pointless shitposting or flaming or whatever you don't get moderated.

That is partly due to the speed at which it happens also, because nobody is arsed going around warning every second post when there's dozens every minute. On here, apart from occasional bursts in TCG and general, everything happens at a slow, slow pace. Like, TCG and general would be the 2 most active in terms of posting I imagine, but there's threads whose last reply was on the 11th and the 9th of June respectively. To contrast that with Enguin's super-secret other forum, whose activity has actually greatly fallen in the last 2/3 years, and you've still to go to the 11th page to find a thread that old.

Oh and also memes that arise from forum incidents spread and die faster, or endure the test of time and still crop up years later, though that's pretty much what happens here too, only it goes to further extremes.

tl;dr - more posts

That sounds udderly terrifying not gonna lie.

....Again it's a matter of preference I suppose, cause I don't think I could deal with that.

That sounds udderly terrifying not gonna lie.

....Again it's a matter of preference I suppose, cause I don't think I could deal with that.

Just imagine, active ICs that go all the way onto the second page! The last posts of many of those ICs were less than an hour ago. That's what an active RP site actually looks like.

Moobe it was.

Crap this is a spam post.

Honestly I think part of the problem could be how we advertise things here. Our outside appearance doesn't really reflect what's inside very well.

True, but I don't see much we can do about it.

For Custom Cards, things are being done to try and encourage more activity in the area (The Advanced Clause is not supposed to deter activity, but rather that you at least know what you're talking about in terms of the card/interactions; compliments are fine though.) We do have the monthly tournaments [admittedly not always, because it depends on my course schedule, and some months, I will be busy (may be even more scattered as I start getting a job + having to deal with harder coursework)]. We have considered some other options to revitalize the section, but either those ideas have been tried/failed in the past, or are simply not feasible at the moment. 

The advanced clause is actually even easier now, since it's measured by words instead of sentences. This post is easily over 30 words by itself, and it took me a couple seconds and is only 2 sentences, whereas before the AC would have made me type two more.

Now, we don't have to be refined critics, but no one particularly shitposts.

yugiohs just not as popular as it was

around 09-10 it top post daily average #1 was around 120, and the #20 was like 20.

.....ah yes, that explains the whole post count thing.

I don't know how bad instantaneous posts would be. Every once in a while, I see people look over my threads for a little while and say nothing, which can be kind of a bother. 

I don't want to go back to when there wasn't an AC. I've seen some old posts, and they're absolutely cancer.

Since I wasn't here for the C&O boom, I wonder if that would at least make people think we improved the forum.

Also, what happened regarding Eisbahn? Were people heated about the card?

The reason this site sucks is because anyone who's smart and motivated left to do something better, anyone dumb was laughed out of here and thinks the community is mean, and everyone left is a bunch of people who are too smart to be considered stupid yet too lazy to do anything worthwhile or interesting. They got their entertainment and enjoyment from watching the the first two groups that have already left.

It's cool to say "We need more fanfics!" "We need more TCG discussions!" "We need more clubs and organizations and created cards!" but when the time comes to put in the work and actually set this all up everyone suddenly puts their hands down.

If all you see is new shitty content... well, it's a public forum for funk's sake. Make some content that excites you and interests you. If it's too much hard work to make anything worthwhile... well yeah, why do you expect other people to do it for you? Either do the work or stop jabroniing.

tl;dr - If you want to fix the site, then be the change you want to see in YCM.

The reason this site sucks is because anyone who's smart and motivated left to do something better, anyone dumb was laughed out of here and thinks the community is mean, and everyone left is a bunch of people who are too smart to be considered stupid yet too lazy to do anything worthwhile or interesting. They got their entertainment and enjoyment from watching the the first two groups that have already left.

It's cool to say "We need more fanfics!" "We need more TCG discussions!" "We need more clubs and organizations and created cards!" but when the time comes to put in the work and actually set this all up everyone suddenly puts their hands down.

If all you see is new shitty content... well, it's a public forum for funk's sake. Make some content that excites you and interests you. If it's too much hard work to make anything worthwhile... well yeah, why do you expect other people to do it for you? Either do the work or stop jabroniing.

And this is part of what I've been preaching to people among CC. Glad to see you agree.

Perhaps it is because back then there were a lot more people joining and of those that joined, there was probably a high percentage of them that stuck around and regularly posted. Now the majority of the people on here are guests and although we do get plenty of new members they rarely post in the forums. They probably use their accounts to save the cards they make.

Sometimes I feel I should put the effort I put into RP stuff and making the Showdown club (which I actually did for the purpose of "I like this and want to be able to do this with more people I actually know") into other aspects of YCM but I just don't have as much interest in those places.

Kinda a let down I guess >.>

Perhaps another issue is not enough interest in the things that need interest, idk

Perhaps it is because back then there were a lot more people joining and of those that joined, there was probably a high percentage of them that stuck around and regularly posted. Now the majority of the people on here are guests and although we do get plenty of new members they rarely post in the forums. They probably use their accounts to save the cards they make.

This reminds me: How long has that registration error been present? If it's still in effect it provides a more visible barrier that deters entrants.

It's been like this since March, looking back at some of the help complaints in Q&A (think Darkness also asked to get some members registered since they couldn't do it themselves). Know a few members had issues. 

But yeah, that might be a reason why; most new members are registering via Twitter lately (I've not seen too many FB ones). 

Another thing, I think you ARE right. In the past you said people were being bastards when there really wasn't a cause for it. It's hard to keep the heat out of the debates section, but there's really no need to attack people in TCG (yes I am guilty of this)

This may turn away many new members  (I think it does)

I don't care if the forum itself dies, but PLEASE do NOT lock the threads or remove the card maker. My Dragon Ball Gallery is over 8 years in the making and always ongoing.

That one guy during the apocalypse that rather would rather die with his Dragon Ball collection than run away, Lol.

Archived