[Leaderboard] Gadjiltron vs. Tori (Tie)

Trebuchet MS

Rules:

• All Leaderboard rules apply.
  • First to 3 votes or most votes by the deadline wins.
  • Sudden death is applied if no votes are made by the contest deadline.
  • All voters must elaborate on their votes.
  • Both contestants have the right to refuse votes, but must explain why they don't accept it.
  • Cards must be PM'd to me. Preferably written.
  • To enforce anonymity and consistency, cards will become written when posted up. The contestant can further elaborate how their card is supposed to work for more consistent PSCT.
  • In case of downtime or emergencies, the deadlines may be extended.

Rewards:

• The winner gets a rep from the loser.
  • All voters get a rep for voting.

Deadlines:

• Contestants have 48 hours to submit their entries after the challenge has been accepted.
  • In case of a challenger failing to meet the above deadline without explanation, the challenger slot will open up again, at which point it becomes first-come-first-serve between the previous challenger's and new submissions.
  • The contest ends a week after both contestants' cards are posted up. (2 July 2016, 10:50 PM, +8 GMT)

Requirement:

Create a Red-Eyes card.

Card A

Red-Eyes B. Twin Dragon

DARK

Level 8

[Dragon/Fusion/Effect]

2 "Red-Eyes" monsters with the same name, except "Red-Eyes B. Chick"

Once per turn, during the Damage Step, if this attacking card destroys an opponent's monster by battle: You can send 1 "Red-Eyes" card from your Deck to the Graveyard, except "Red-Eyes B. Chick"; it can make a second attack in a row. If this card is destroyed by battle or card effect and sent to the Graveyard: You can Special Summon 2 "Red-Eyes" monsters from your Graveyard, except "Red-Eyes B. Chick" or "Red-Eyes B. Twin Dragon".

2800/2400

Card B

Red-Eyes Amorphous Dragon

DARK

Level 4

[Dragon/Gemini/Effect]

This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or in the Graveyard. While this card is a Normal Monster on the field, you can Normal Summon it to have it become an Effect Monster with this effect.

• Once per turn: You can send 1 "Red-Eyes" monster from your hand or Deck to the Graveyard, then target 1 card on the field; destroy it, and if you do, inflict damage to your opponent equal to the original ATK of the monster you discarded to activate this effect.

1800/1000

To properly analyze Card A's contribution, we have to consider the prime real estate its moving into-specifically the other 2 Red-Eyes Fusions most likely to be run aside (or in place of) Card A: Archfiend Black Skull Dragon and Archfiend Black Meteor Dragon. Being weaker than both (2800 to 3200 and 3500) it's power comes in its multiple attacks and floating effect.This is where it shines. Bring this out with the Fusion (easy, with Black Flare, Tracer or Wyvern) then bust them back out upon this card's destruction and you can make Flare Metal, Queen Dragun Djinn-really, the Xyz Scales are limitless here. This card works as a wonderful arm to a trinity of Fusions and can end games on a clear field (a la Chimeratech Rampage Dragon.) 

Card B is another Gemini to work with its new theme. Being Level 4 allows it to work with Keeper of the Shrine and Wyvern-and make it easier to go into Rank 4 Xyzes. This might be the thing I end up dropping a pair of Supervises into the Deck to support, really, since it can mill, destroy, and burn in one fell swoop-and if impeded on any front while Supervise is equipped, bring back 1 of the multitudes of other Gemini/Normal Monsters in the Graveyard that my other range of Spell/Trap Cards have filled it with. Card B brings a new angle of pain into the Red-Eyes Deck, and being able to be Normal Summoned helps keep it from being a dead draw. 

Let me make this perfectly clear. BOTH. OF. THESE. CARDS. Are wonderful additions to any Red-Eyes Deck. And both of their effects are a credit of imaginative ability. But, the topic of this contest is to be a Red-Eyes card. And Red-Eyes's main difference from the Blue-Eyes is that it works with drastically different elements to make its bosses-not the same ones. Card A ignores this regard, and thus, comes across as a Twin Burst counterpart. In addition, most people do not kill monsters with destruction these days, so Card A's second ability is more of a hit-or-miss than one would be led to think, especially if it's destroyed in the same turn its Red-Eyes Fusioned, but this first oversight I mentioned is a crucial one to understanding Red-Eyes, and it matters when trying to support them.

So, by an infernal hair, my vote goes to Card B.

Card A:

-Its summoning condition is 2 Red-Eyes Monsters with the same name, Ok not very hard to summon considering Red-Eyes Fusion is now a thing.

- It can attack again after destroying a monster by battle for the cost of sending a Red-Eyes card into the Graveyard from the Deck, pretty good so far, send Black Stone of Legend into the Graveyard to activate this effect and then use Black Stone's effect to add it to your hand.

-When it is destroyed by battle or a card effect it Special Summons 2 Red-Eyes monster from the Graveyard except itself and B. Chick, pretty good, Activate Dark Hole and then bring back a Red-Eyes B. Dragon and Archfiend Black Skull Dragon for example.

Card B:

-Send 1 Red-Eyes monster from your hand or Deck into the Graveyard to destroy an opponent's monster and inflict damage to him equal to the original ATK of the sent monster, Ok a Gemini monster with a pretty good effect with 1800 ATK, Ok this card is good assuming you can protect it for 1 turn or have something like Supervise or Super Double Summon to actually be able to use its effect, I would've preferred a Non-Gemini monster with a more balanced effect instead of having to deal with its Gemini limitations.

Verdit:

Tbh, both cards are very good but I feel like Card A has the edge over Card B because of Card B's limitations so I vote for Card A.

Red-Eyes are cool.

Card A is rather cool. Using two Wyvern to summon this via Red-Eyes Fusion is actually a hilarious thought, and unlike other Red-Eyes fusion monsters, this dude packs some staying power via floating. The double attacking is just icing on the cake, with the mill being able to send powerful monsters for REDMD to revive. The level is actually pretty nifty as well. You could use it as the whole tribute for Lord of the Red if you're into that or go into a R8 with it and REDMD. My only issue is the attack, as it feels kinda low relative to other Red-Eyes fusions and means it dies to Dark Destroyer and Blue-Eyes monsters. Of course, this triggers the float so it ain't all bad. 

Card B is pretty neat as well. As a Gemini, it is going to be at a disadvantage competitively considering how relatively slow the mechanic is. This is especially true when we compare it to Card A who, thanks to Red-Eyes Fusion, can made with great speed. We do have cards like Retro or the new Gemini support from INOV, but I don't think Retro is often run and I can't say how big an impact Spark World and the Chemical Beasts will have. The effect is pretty useful though, being the effect of Frightfur Leo minus the hard OPT and plus a Foolish Burial effect. It can be really nice for sniping stuff and setting up graveyard plays. The stats on it are pretty nice, as an Allure target, and being able to beat over most level 4s.

This is really close to call, but I've to say Card A as it is much easier to make use of and forces your opponent to Caste it to avoid the float.

Didn't deadline pass some hours ago? If not, I'll balance this out.

I'll vote Card B.

The biggest thing here that pushed me away is that A steals the design slot from Blue-Eyes with the twin attack effect. It's just too similar to feel likeable, although the whole card in general was alright. Of course, with the float and such, it certainly is an effective card. I won't go much into detail as the voters before me pretty much stated everything worth stating. Red Eyes Fusion easily generates this monster, and depending on the situation, Card A could be more effective in terms of usability as opposed to the new Red Eye fusions.

B is more interesting, even if it is much slower in developing its effects. Of course, looking at a Red-Eyes standpoint, both of these cards didn't increase the engine well enough, since Red-Eyes need a faster way of bringing monsters out aside from Red-Eyes Fusion while not going overboard. Looking over the newer Spell/Trap support such as Return of the Red Eyes, I'll have to have B win in terms of the flavour and balance.

The last effect of Card A was not limited to OPT, aside from not having to be used on the original monsters that Summoned it. If we're talking on how Return of the Red Eyes, COTH, and the like being used on this card, it starts feeling like you can just keep looping Card A with Red Eyes Darkness Metal as their effects can continue to revive each other in the same turn as long as the destruction conditions are met. There's also the fact that you can have more than 1 copy of Card A on the field. It starts feeling a little much if one monster can continue to trade for 2 as long as it is destroyed. Design wasn't very appealing in this area, although it was a good idea.

I was going to vote for card C because I believed that both cards deserved to tie because one was a little too underwhelming with the other being a little overwhelming. However, seeing the votes shift and the fact that Card B had more of an attempt in sticking with the Red Eyes feeling than with Card A's stealing of a design slot from Twin Burst, I'll vote for B.

Archived