[Finished]Major's CC#3: Kawaī! (Judging Completed!)

Note: I will be gone from June 30th - July 4th, due to Anime Expo related thingies. So if I don't respond over this span of time, you'll know why. 

Check this link for clarification on competition policies. If it's not explicitly stated, its here. Arigatō~

Helpful Threads

http://forum.yugiohc...before-posting/
http://forum.yugiohc...d-design-guide/
http://forum.yugiohc...ds-and-casuals/

So... where are the competitions? Let's change that, by celebrating this upcoming weekend. A time that defines an important piece of our culture. We can stand proud, in knowing that even through our differences, we can unite under one roof... in the LA Convention Center... in LA... at Anime Expo... Obviously. To celebrate this momentous occasion, this competition will be central to all things Anime and Manga! The rest is up to you, so go nuts!

[spoiler=Requirements/Rules]

- No Entry Cost! All entrants simply have to post in this forum and request admittance (or post an image/card text).

- Entry must be a Spell, Trap, or Monster card based off of, or inspired by the style of, Anime or Manga. You cannot use custom Types or Attributes, or stats above 5000atk & def. Any further rules follow the standard YCM card tournament rules found here.

- Card entries must be placed in this forum post. I will not accept PM's for entry, as all players should be able to see the cards before reviewing. Also, if you decide to create an image for your card entry, you must use spoilers to hide the image and include the Lore of the card typed below the image.

- Edits will be allowed, however, you must edit your original post! Do not create new posts of your card when making edits. Any edits performed past the deadline below will not be included in judging. It's recommended to make notes on your original post whenever you make an edit.

- July 14th, 2016 @ 11:59PM Pacific Standard Time is the deadline. Entries beyond that will not be accepted.

[spoiler=Prizing]

Prizing is awarded based on the total number of entrants meeting each of the following:

8 --> 16 --> 24...

1st: 500, 1000, 1500 points

2nd: 300, 600, 900 points

3rd: 150, 300, 450 points

+100 Extra Points Awarded to 1 Player for Each Category:

Most Balanced Entry

Most Flavorful Entry

Most Creative Entry

[spoiler=Judging]

- PM me if you'd like to become a judge.
- Recommended to send a minimum of two cards you designed along with your PM. If you are credentialed as a judge by the Judge Test, then you will more likely be picked. You cannot use your card in this tournament as one of those two cards.

- If 3 or more judges enter, I will allow the judges to compete, but a judge cannot place a rating on a card they made.
- 7 days after the CC ends is when all judges should provide their rubrics (either by posting on this forum post, or by personally PMing me, and I will post the results). If you can't make the deadline, PM me in advance! Anything beyond that will not be used. This may change depending on number of entrants. You can check the "Rubric" spoiler tab to see which format is expected

[spoiler=Rubric]

100 Points maximum for each card:
60 Points (Balance/Utility/Mechanic): Does the card fulfill the basic requirements of the competition? Is it relevant, fair, balanced and useful? If generic, how well does it work in other decks? Does it work too well, or not well enough?
30 Points (Creativity/Flavor): Does the card's effect fit stylistically with its stats, image (if applicable), and name? Does its design feel fresh and unique? If so, how?
10 Points (OCG): Does it follow current YuGiOh OCG/PSCT? Is its effect clear and easy to understand? Is the grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure correct?

[spoiler=Entrants/Judges]

Judges:

• YugsterMajor

Entrants (Bolded when Entry Submitted):

• Tori-Kun
  • Trebuchet MS
  • Brimtosis
  • Unroyal Paladin
  • Hajime Hinata
  • AsdfDuelist

Anime and manga eh... well, I referred to an anime in one of the last contests I was in (I think Yugster was a judge there too, with Black) , but it was a quite weak reference, only for flavor.  This time, it's going to have to be a bit more significant for it to be qualified. 

I'm interested, sign me up.

Huehuehue rabbit touhou card. =3

Entry pls.

lol fanmade anime and lots of manga sure count for this huh, even though it's originally a game series. =P

Sure, I'll get in on this.

I shall enter.

Anime and manga eh... well, I referred to an anime in one of the last contests I was in (I think Yugster was a judge there too, with Black) , but it was a quite weak reference, only for flavor.  This time, it's going to have to be a bit more significant for it to be qualified. 

I'm interested, sign me up.

lol fanmade anime and lots of manga sure count for this huh, even though it's originally a game series. =P

Entry you all shall recieve!

What do you mean "by the style of anime or manga"?

Anything stylistically that fits Anime or Manga (think Force of Will or Vanguard). This is more difficult to convey w/ a written entry, but still can be done. If this confuses you, then you can stick to a card based off an actual Anime or Manga.

I have an older card that might be a good fit here. It's just so very silly.

[spoiler=The name says it all, really.]8D4QnjN.jpg

Special Summon this card as a Tuner Monster (Fairy-type/WIND/Level 3/ATK 1000/ DEF 1300), then you can target 1 other monster you control; It gains 1 Level, and its Attribute becomes WIND, if possible. If this face-down card is destroyed: You can target 1 Spell/Trap Card on the field; Return it to the deck.

And by silly I mean a punny title and super adorable.

[spoiler=Uchigatana]

99090db780.png

You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by shuffling 1 Quick-Play Spell Card from your Graveyard into the Deck. If this card is Special Summoned this way: Add 1 Quick-Play Spell Card from your Deck to your hand. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower Warrior-Type monster from your Deck, except "Uchigatana". You can only use 1 "Uchigatana" effect per turn, and only once that turn.

So... this time, I had 2 options as for what kind of card I'd make, so I worked on both of them, and waited to see if some entry will eliminate one of them due to over-similarity. It happened with Uchigatana, quite early. Here's my entry:

[spoiler=submission]

3KSjvxG.jpg

Valkyria from Another World

LIGHT

Level 6

Warrior/Effect

If this card is Tribute Summoned: This turn, you can Normal Summon 1 Level 4 or lower LIGHT monster from your hand as an additional Normal Summon. If this card was Tribute Summoned by tributing a Level 6 or higher or Rank 4 or higher LIGHT monster, this card cannot be destroyed by battle or card effects. Once per turn, during either player's turn, when an opponent's card effect that has an effect of destroying or banishing a card(s) you control is activated: You can target 1 card you control; Negate the opponent's card effect and destroy it, then destroy that target.

(( Since Touhou counts, this counts as well I guess. Valkyria Chronicles does have an anime and a manga, and Valkyria Chronicles 3 does have 2 OVAs. ))

I have an older card that might be a good fit here. It's just so very silly.

[spoiler=The name says it all, really.]8D4QnjN.jpg

And by silly I mean a punny title and super adorable.

[spoiler=Uchigatana]

99090db780.png

You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by shuffling 1 Quick-Play Spell Card from your Graveyard into the Deck. If this card is Special Summoned this way: Add 1 Quick-Play Spell Card from your Deck to your hand. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower Warrior-Type monster from your Deck, except "Uchigatana". You can only use 1 "Uchigatana" effect per turn, and only once that turn.

So... this time, I had 2 options as for what kind of card I'd make, so I worked on both of them, and waited to see if some entry will eliminate one of them due to over-similarity. It happened with Uchigatana, quite early. Here's my entry:

[spoiler=submission]

3KSjvxG.jpg

Valkyria from Another World

LIGHT

Level 6

Warrior/Effect

If this card is Tribute Summoned: This turn, you can Normal Summon 1 Level 4 or lower LIGHT monster from your hand as an additional Normal Summon. If this card was Tribute Summoned by tributing a Level 6 or higher or Rank 4 or higher LIGHT monster, this card cannot be destroyed by battle or card effects. Once per turn, during either player's turn, when an opponent's card effect that has an effect of destroying or banishing a card(s) you control is activated: You can target 1 card you control; Negate the opponent's card effect and destroy it, then destroy that target.

(( Since Touhou counts, this counts as well I guess. Valkyria Chronicles does have an anime and a manga, and Valkyria Chronicles 3 does have 2 OVAs. ))

All entries accepted!

Entry pls

Yep Yep.

Once again, I apologize for the delay, as my phone has been down for the past couple of days at Anime Expo. I appreciate all of your patience with me, and am looking forward to all the phenomenal entries for this competition! If you need anything, be sure to reply in the forum or PM me. Thanks a bundle!

And here's my submission.

b-vise.png

[spoiler Card Text]When an opponent’s monster declares a direct attack: You can Special Summon this card from your hand. Once per turn, during either player’s turn: You can target 1 face-up card on the field; negate that target’s effects, and if you do, Set it, also that card cannot be activated or change its battle position until its controller’s next Standby Phase. Cards or effects cannot be activated in response to this effect’s activation.

[spoiler Design Notes]Based off the Black Vise avatar in Accel World. His user has a modification that allows him to disable the acceleration of Brain Burst at will, allowing him to wait for otherwise unusually long times to set up an ambush, trapping Silver Crow at the start of the final battle with Dusk Taker. His entry into the story this way is adapted as the ability to SS himself from the hand when a direct attack is declared. Which then allows him to use his main ability.

This effect is based off Pressure Plate, which traps and restrains an avatar while also preventing them from speaking, silencing communication between its victim and the surroundings. The absolute silencing and trapping takes the form of forcing something face-down, rendering it unable to attack or activate effects. Should someone have the idea of using this effect on a non-Continuous S/T due to how it's a Quick Effect, this also negates the effects of the target card, in order to prevent this being exploited to create two separate activation triggers off the same card. On the off chance this is also being used to deflect S/Ts, the opponent cannot activate them for a while so they can't repeatedly try the same S/T over and over again.

Yes, this also means that you can theoretically keep 1 to 2 cards perpetually stunned with optimal timing. Then again, Black Vise needed constant concentration to keep his Pressure Plate active. Shift focus to dealing with a separate threat and you lose focus of the lock.

And here's my submission.

b-vise.png

[spoiler Card Text]When an opponent’s monster declares a direct attack: You can Special Summon this card from your hand. Once per turn, during either player’s turn: You can target 1 face-up card on the field; negate that target’s effects, and if you do, Set it, also that card cannot be activated or change its battle position until its controller’s next Standby Phase. Cards or effects cannot be activated in response to this effect’s activation.

[spoiler Design Notes]Based off the Black Vise avatar in Accel World. His user has a modification that allows him to disable the acceleration of Brain Burst at will, allowing him to wait for otherwise unusually long times to set up an ambush, trapping Silver Crow at the start of the final battle with Dusk Taker. His entry into the story this way is adapted as the ability to SS himself from the hand when a direct attack is declared. Which then allows him to use his main ability.

This effect is based off Pressure Plate, which traps and restrains an avatar while also preventing them from speaking, silencing communication between its victim and the surroundings. The absolute silencing and trapping takes the form of forcing something face-down, rendering it unable to attack or activate effects. Should someone have the idea of using this effect on a non-Continuous S/T due to how it's a Quick Effect, this also negates the effects of the target card, in order to prevent this being exploited to create two separate activation triggers off the same card. On the off chance this is also being used to deflect S/Ts, the opponent cannot activate them for a while so they can't repeatedly try the same S/T over and over again.

Yes, this also means that you can theoretically keep 1 to 2 cards perpetually stunned with optimal timing. Then again, Black Vise needed constant concentration to keep his Pressure Plate active. Shift focus to dealing with a separate threat and you lose focus of the lock.

Whoops, forgot to edit OP and confirm this entry. You're all good.

Bump! Let's get some more entrants rolling!

Due to circumstances outside my control, the competition will be postponed until July 21st, 2016 @ 11:59PM PST. I appreciate all of your patience w/ me, and look forward to grading your entries! If you have any further questions, please let me know. Thank you all, and take care!

~YugsterMajor

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates on this?

My apologies, my only co-worker at work has a second job that needs him all day, and I've been covering 10 - 11 hour work days for 3 weeks straight. I'll hopefully get some time this Sunday to look at them, but that's not a guarantee. I appreciate your patience, and will post any updates that come about.

-YugsterMajor

Update 08/01/16:

I'm currently still working 8 - 9 hour days instead of 10 - 11, but it's pretty brutal, and finding the time to review cards is hard. I'll hopefully be able to review either tomorrow or Thursday depending. I do appreciate all of your patience, and look forward to checking all the great cards submitted!

-YugsterMajor 

Howdy Howdy!

Such a shame w/ the smaller turn out, but still, much appreciation for those of you who showed interested and/or entered! Hey, that leaves more prizes for the entrants, amiright? July was a very busy month, for me and many others, and I'd like to express my sincerest apologies for the lack of communication and efficiency regarding these reviews. The next review cycle will not be delayed quite as heavily, that much I promise. I'm still happy to have posted this competition, and appreciate every last entry! Without further ado, let's begin!

[spoiler=Spindad, Winging It]

[spoiler=Entry]8D4QnjN.jpg

Balance/Utility/Mechanic (40/60): Interesting card with some useful applications, but potentially slow for its intended use. It’s a free SS tuner as a trap w/ extra utility as an incredibly powerful removal effect. It helps decks w/ speed 2 synchro capabilities significantly, but takes until your next turn to use that capability otherwise. While Artifact-eqsue capabilities in a trap are never fun to play around, it doesn’t interact well with your opponent’s board state, and is easy to play around. It’s potentially good enough to see play, but devoting a deck space to a non-interactive 1 for 1 trap is generally not powerful enough as a main deck option. Could see sideboard play, depending on the types of decks that are potent in the meta.
Creativity/Flavor (26/30): The artwork and theme of the card is pleasant to look at and very clever in its design. Definitely feels like a short print card in a main set, w/ it’s decently powerful applications and clever artwork and name (Ferret Flames, for example).
OCG (5/10): While the OCG doesn’t disturb the mechanics of the card greatly, it’s quite distracting. There should be text notifying when it triggers to SS (If this card is activated:), when in the chain the targeting for levels should occur, the “if possible” clause being unnecessary, and the Return to deck clause being mechanically incorrect.
Total (71/100)

[spoiler=Tori-kun, Uchigatana]

[spoiler=Entry]99090db780.png

Balance/Utility/Mechanic (0/60): Meta-defining would be an understatement for this card, as it’s absolutely busted. 1st, it’s a free 1800 body for an incredibly easy summoning condition. 2nd, it searches the target you just shuffled, or ANY quick-play spell from your Deck just by summoning it. 3rd, it has a Graff-esque effect, letting you SS ANY warrior from your Deck, except itself. It’s a free SS from hand that recycles resources, lets you search for the resources you just put back or more, and SS’s a free Warrior-Type monster for it being used as an Xyz Material? Rank 4 spam decks are already enough of an issue, so providing support for one of the most powerful kinds of decks, and the most powerful kind of attribute, and the most powerful kind of spell card, is too much in 1 card. It has no risk for summoning, so you can bait out a response from your opponent, by recycling a free S/T removal from your grave, and then searching it to remove the backrow you just baited, if they permit the summoning from occurring. Its SS effect is triggered under any circumstances it hits the grave, so it can be used as discard outlets, or as Xyz materials, synchro materials, etc.
Creativity/Flavor (30/30): It’s a shame, as this card’s theme ties in brilliantly with the artwork and effects. Highly creative card (although knowing TCG Konami, the name would be more localized for us dumb americans), you deserve praise for tying this card thematically into a neatly wrapped package.
OCG (10/10): Didn’t need to include the “this card is” part in the searching clause, but I’m not gonna knock you for that. Everything is fine here.
Total (40/100)

[spoiler=Unroyal_Paladin, Valkyria from Another World]

[spoiler=Entry]3KSjvxG.jpg

[spoiler=Coincidence? I THINK NOT!]32193_200w.jpg

Balance/Utility/Mechanic (21/60): I can see the niche for this card, but that niche in its design extends too far. Of course, if your opponent has the option of negating the summoning of this card then you’re boned, but that goes for pretty much any Tribute Summonable monster. The pros severely outweigh the cons, as generating a 2400 ATK body that can’t be destroyed under any circumstances permanently is pretty nutty, especially when it can freely negate any card that destroys or banishes, effectively negating any form of removal your opponent may have. That negation comes at the cost of another card, unless you just target itself w/ its cost, negating the cost entirely. That’s only under the circumstances you used a Rank 4 or Level 6 or higher monster, but in all honesty, it’s very easy to build decks around generating Light Rank 4 spam, so meeting said condition is not difficult. Quite a scary card for your opponent to deal with when it hits board, so long as it meets the correct summoning conditions.
Flavor/Creativity (19/30): I gotta admit, providing benefits for tributing Rank monsters is unique, but feels sorely out of place here. Many of the mechanics are incohesive and tacked on, making it feel jumbled together. Can’t comment on the source material, as I’ve never seen the anime.
OCG (8/10): Most of the mechanics are there, but just require some corrections. The additional Normal Summon effect could use tweaked wording, alongside the negation effect not using standard wording.
Total (48/100)

[spoiler=Trebuchet MS, Accel Avatar Black Vise]

[spoiler=Entry]b-vise.png

Balance/Utility/Mechanic (24/60): It’s a Trag w/ permanent 2800 ATK & DEF stats that acts as a negation and/or setting of a monster during either player’s turn. Generally speaking, setting the card for a turn is entirely irrelevant, so long as the effect has been negated for the turn, and slows down your opponent enough to recover on the board and in resources. It’s not too impossible to get over, but it’s certainly proactive once it hits board. 2800 is a powerful stat, as unless your opponent has more than 1 monster over said stats that hasn’t already been flipped face-down, it works as an infinity-esque Swift Scarecrow. An incredibly potent card in any deck that can control the Battle Phase, and grind your opponent down. However, w/o a OPT restriction, having multiple of these against your opponent is a nightmare, as it prevents up to 3 negations per turn. For being a reactive-style summoning condition, it sure does well in the lockdown mechanics, but it’s too proactive. Not a huge fan of introducing more Battle Phase negation effects, especially ones that leaves other more reactive hand traps in the game power-creeped.
Flavor/Creativity (20/30): Well, that’s quite the obscure idea. Don’t get me wrong, the mechanics fit well with the style of card attempted here, and does justice to the source material. I’d imagine, however, something more stand-alone and prominent, rather than what feels like a single support card of a non-existing archetype. It’ll fly, but by source material alone.
OCG (10/10): Everything’s fine here.
Total (54/100)

[spoiler=Totals]1st: Spindad
2nd: Trebuchet MS
3rd: Unroyal_Paladin
4th: Tori-kun

Archived