[Leaderboard] - Abdelrahman vs Tori-kun ( Closed )

Abdelrahman

Rules:

-All Leaderboard rules apply

-Best of 3 votes wins

-All voters must elaborate on their votes.

-Both contestants have the right to refuse votes, but must explain why they don't accept it.

-Cards must be PM'd to me, preferably written.

-Remove any evidence of the card being made by you to ensure anonymity

-In case a downtime happens, the deadlines may be extended.

Deadlines:

-Contestants have 48 hours ( 72 if needed ) to submit their entries.

-The contest ends after cards are uploaded in 3 days. After that, if no one voted, next vote wins.

Rewards:

-The winner gets a rep from the loser.

-All voters get a rep for voting.

Requirements:

Make a Gadget support card

Entries:

Card A: ( 2 Votes )

Proxy

Spell / Quick-Play

Tribute 1 face-up Machine-Type monster you control to target 1 card on the field; destroy that target, then you can Special Summon 1 "Gadget" monster from your hand.

Card B: ( 1 Vote )

Gadget Calling

Normal Spell

Discard 1 Machine-Type monster, add up to 2 Level 4 or lower "Gadget" monsters from your Deck to your hand. You can only activate 1 "Gadget Calling" per turn. You cannot conduct your Battle Phase during the turn you activate this effect.

Okay, just going to be brief: Card B completely stole the design of Pendulum Call but for Gadgets. Also, it inhibits the Battle Phase as the drawback, which is understandable, but doesn't hide the fact that it's a ripoff of an existing, limited card. The restriction is also stricter in limiting it to a Machine-Type, but it doesn't give it any points for stealing another card's effect. Not to mention, this is only a Rank 4 spam developer by getting Gold and Silver to your hand, Summoning 1 after the other, to get the R4 engine spam going. Not very interesting, but I admit that it's effective in the meta. Pretty much all machine type decks can use this with Gadgets splashed in.

Card A is not as effective, but atleast it isn't an outright rip-off of an existing card. It's not too good, but it isn't that bad either. I would've preferred the Summon effect occur from the Deck, with some heavier restrictions such as only activating one of Card A once per turn and all that balancing goodness. Then, a Gadget could be added (If you ran the old R, G, and Y) which set up a play for yourself on the next turn. I'm only saying this because the restriction of tributing a Machine-Type is enough imo to give this card a little more firepower. I atleast saw attempted creativity and effort as opposed to blatantly altering another card's effects with slightly heavier restrictions with Card A. Same thing about usable with Gadget Splash in all Machine decks.

Mostly because Card B ripped off Pendulum Call, and really lacked creativity in the design area as it does nothing but directly implies to generate R4 spam, I'm voting for A.

Oh boy, Gadget support.

Card A

Effectively sounds like "Gadget Gemini Spark" given how combotastic it is. Given the low stats of Gadgets players generally have little qualms over Tributing a Gadget to pull out a second one that fetches something else to continue the line of floaters. It's a roundabout 1-for-1 hit-anything removal that keeps the Gadget train running or, when used with Gold or Silver, sets up an Xyz play. Also forces things like Hands to miss the timing. Target and destroy keyword limitations abound, but it at least lets Gadgets snipe out threats that they can't normally overpower even with help of their Extra Deck.

Card B

This is more of a tool used to set up combos, working like a parallel to the usual discard-1-draw-2 effects that give so many Decks a lot of fluidity. Pitch a Fortress to pull up two Gadgets, usually a G/S and a R/G/Y, then G/S -> R/G/Y -> search -> Geargigant X -> detach to search, which leaves you with the ability to go into another Xyz Summon next turn or pull Fortress up. And that's before we actually account for other cards in hand. No surprise that the player is forced to lose their Battle Phase in exchange for this.

The Verdict

Both cards are really useful tools for different situations. The thing is what the Gadget Deck actually needs - the ability to deal with more threats that they can't do on their own, or greater consistency. Based on the times where I've been forced to flounder about due to not opening the right Gadgets or enough Gadgets, I feel that being able to search up combos to go into bigger threats is more useful. Let's not forget that a typical Gadget Deck will also fall back on several other more generic means of threat removal. Card B gets the vote.

Card A: Gemini Spark with an attached Summon instead of a draw. I'd say this is a cheap ripoff, but it does make a whole lot of sense - Gadgets have low ATK, thus you don't mind tributing it to take a crucial opponents card away. Special Summoning one from the Hand helps a lot too, as you can search with it, mitigating the tribute cost and giving you a potential material for a Rank 4 play. I don't like how close it is to Spark, but I approve how well it fits the theme.

Card B: The Pendulum Call comparison is a bit off imo. While the cards do the same, they are quite different after all. Pendulum Call is mostly used to set up the Pendulum Scale in order to Pendulum Summon, while this searches (I guess) the otherwise unsearchable Gold and Silver Gadget, if you have any of the others in your hand. There isn't much else to say about it, losing the Battle Phase is fine as the card is rather powerful. A little thing I don't like is that it has to search from the Deck - as RGY Gadgets already do that, (and Gold/Silver float from the Deck) I would have approved it if you could pick like 1 from the Deck and 1 from the Graveyard, so that you don't run out of Gadgets that fast in a long grind game. 

Difficult to pick one. I'll give my vote to card A, just because of how well its only difference to Gemini Spark fits the Gadgets. :v

Archived