Custom Cards Reform

Blake

Keep in mind that this is nothing solid, merely what I would like to do, moving forward.

If the proposed changes end up being implemented, I will likely not be able to start this process until August, due to my current status as a Junior Moderator, meaning I cannot give out rewards. While Sakura and Gadjiltron could do so in my stead, I would not like to put burdens on them through my actions, though I also do want them to comment/help out/etc. if they are so inclined.

Reform Advanced and Casual Cards

You see, while I did advocate the current state, it... doesn't work well outside of theory. It requires too much knowledge of the average poster, and it means cards constantly end up where they do not belong.

Instead, I would like to remake them into something more akin to their original forms.

The Advanced Clause has been largely forgotten, but I feel that it should be. However... I want discussion to decide what it should be, if it is implemented. I never finished refining it with Koko before I lost my position, and it's basically rotted since, so it needs to be redone from the ground up.

Members would be required to follow a minimum post limit for both posting a topic AND commenting, so as to increase the quality of replies. While this can be cheesed, it's the best the staff can do without constant monitoring of comments. That said, I will try my best to keep a watch over comments, so that the cheesing is kept to a minimum. The amounts need to be discussed here.

However, I wish to incentivize this section. Where Casual (which is probably due a rename... Maybe to Create A Card, and leave Advanced Card Design or Advannced Design or something) will be restrictionless and free, with only site rules applying, Advanced will give you some sort of reward.

Examples:

• More points per post in the section.
  • More points when you cash in your posts.
  • Rewards related to events in the section.

There's not much to do for incentivizing posting outside of points, which lead to name changes/member groups/etc., so suggestions are welcome.

These will also give rise to two new series of CC Tests. One for Casual and one for Advanced, where your knowledge of design, flavor, and impact will be judged. I would like these to be a monthly occurence.

You will receive rewards for doing well on these tests, likely through a Point system that carries over month to month, with a list of rewards you can cash in for. This can include (no guarantees at present):

• Points (as in the kind used in the shop) of different amounts.
  • Access to VIP + points.
  • Access to a specific Custom Member Group.
  • Your own personal Custom Member Group.

It is important to note, however, that the Advanced CC Test will yield more points than the Casual CC Test. This is to promote growth and polishing your ability to design/critique, but it does not punish members who do not take the harder test.

As of now, I believe you would only be allowed to take either the ACCT or the CCCT, not both. PMs would be sent to [Me][All Three CC Mods][Etc.], which needs to be discussed. I neither wish to forcibly include nor exclude my colleagues in this endeavor, leaving them to opt in or out.

However, all of this requires the community to both help me, and the other CC mods, figure out exactly what we want to do in this area AND to show support/turnout for these events. More events may come if the CC Tests are successful, which will lead to more opportunities to build up

Abolish CC Judge

Let's be honest here... this group is a joke.

The idea is appreciable, but the execution is lacking, and I don't think it's an efficient system. Furthermore, it's been used a fair few times to simply be a way to get higher levels of rewards for less effort. Removal of swear filter, faster name changes, etc... So why does it need to exist?

However, I don't intend to leave all of you high and dry. I want to give the members who participate in contests the ability to be rewarded for an exceptional showing.

Performastar, Sapphire Guard, and Face-Down Untapped Position

I propose setting up the 3 CC Moderator's Custom Member Groups as special rewards for doing contests one of us hosted. (Sorry Gadj, forget what yours was called. If anyone would like to tell me, I'll fix this category).

For example... Let's say that I hosted a contest.

If you did well in the contest, you would get rewards, as always.

However, if you managed to score, oh... 90+% in the contest, you would be rewarded with the Performastar member group for a month, though it's up to discussion.

These could also be used as rewards for other events.

Yet another idea is to use one per area. For example:

• Performastar would be a Moderator hosted contest reward, considering it is based on performance.
  • Sapphire Guard could be used for CC Tests,
  • Face-Down Untapped Position could i dunno, rough idea, sorry ;-;

But this is all up to discussion, and I would love to hear people's thoughts on this, including my two fellow CC Moderators.

Finally, let's move on to...

The Leaderboard

Burn it to the funking ground.

I jest. Much the opposite, in fact.

I would like to give Striker, the Leaderboard Chairman, a gift. A special "Leaderboard Champion" group that is given to, you guessed it, the winner of a Leaderboard Season.

This group would be kept for the entirety of the next season, being handed off to the next champion once the time comes. This group, much like the last 3, would be something that you earn for doing exceptionally well, in this case outperforming all of your colleagues, and would grant you the same benefits as a 7 Star Member.

The appearance/design of this group will be left up to participants of the Leaderboard, so that it will best fit those who will have a chance at gaining it.

I wish to work with Striker in order to better this subsection, as it honestly feels like a better version of 1v1.

If you have any other ideas, concerns, etc., please feel free to speak up. I want to improve the entirety of CC, not just one or two sections. I just believe making an environment condusive to improving and an environment condusive to letting your creative impulses flow both existing will aid in contests, not to mention basic design.

Ooh, I love gifts. I'm all for it, really. Would have done it myself, but I needed to keep points to payout the prizes and such. How you wish to do it is better than I could have executed it as a regular member, so I applaud you for that. Though I do have a question, Regular Season thing or Postseason thing? At this point, I don't know which you prefer.

*pulls out a large briefcase and opens it*

A few people know this, but I kinda kept the Banhammer I had back in 2014 as a momento (deactivated of course). As a token of good faith, I'd like you to have it for your use, unless you prefer your own.

As for Gadjiltron's group, maybe make his the Advanced test and Sakura's the Casual test? That or use Gadjiltron's group to incentivize the Card Gladiator Arena? Just some thoughts.

Ooh, I love gifts. I'm all for it, really. Would have done it myself, but I needed to keep points to payout the prizes and such. How you wish to do it is better than I could have executed it as a regular member, so I applaud you for that. Though I do have a question, Regular Season thing or Postseason thing? At this point, I don't know which you prefer.

*pulls out a large briefcase and opens it*

A few people know this, but I kinda kept the Banhammer I had back in 2014 as a momento (deactivated of course). As a token of good faith, I'd like you to have it for your use, unless you prefer your own.

As for Gadjiltron's group, maybe make his the Advanced test and Sakura's the Casual test? That or use Gadjiltron's group to incentivize the Card Gladiator Arena? Just some thoughts.

I meant regular season. Whoever does the best gets to be Champ for the entire time until the next champ of the regular season is crowned.

I don't want to use their groups without their permission, so it's entirely up to them. While members can discuss it, I cannot give a go ahead. Though giving one for advanced v. casual seems a bit... Rude, somehow.

Card Gladiator Arena? Elaborate, cause I never paid much attention to it.

Will edit in FDUP

Card Gladiator Arena is the Card Contests version of the Leaderboard. Interestingly enough, the plans from 2012 that eventually became The Leaderboard initially started out as plans for something like Card Gladiator Arena. Currently, there are six month seasons with points being determined by how a person places in each contest (1st:10, 2nd:7, 3rd:5, 4th:3).

Whoever gets the most points gets their winnings from the contests they placed in doubled, 2nd gets 50% of their winnings, and 3rd gets 25%. It's only been around for six months, and it seems to be going well. It's something to give more purpose to individual contests and bring them together in someway.

I like having rewards for contests.  That's obviously an incentive in itself.  And, not that it needs to be flashier, but I'll be honest and say I don't really notice titles alone when members post.  A flair would be dope for contest winners.  Maybe a little trophy in the top right corner of their posts or something to that effect?  Not sure how much coordination that would require from other mods/GFX artists, etc, but it'd be a cool way to get the winners noticed.  Especially across other sections that don't notice the CC contests.

Here are my few cents:

Advanced and Casual

What's annoyed me a little about the casual section as it doesn't seem like a place that you can really provide feedback beyond basic praise. I say this, because Advanced is there for considering balance and a card's impact on the overall metagame, while Casual is more or less "for everything else". It's not that I've ever tried, but I feel discouraged from posting in threads in Casual because it feels like all that's appropriate for me to comment on is flavor and art; as anything on the overall balance/mechanical design of the card feels off the table because "Keep that sheet in Advanced".

I'm not saying "abolish Casual", but I feel like something needs to be done to better define its place beyond the Miscellaneous equivalent for CC.

Leaderboard

I'm going to advocate for big changes, and come and say this right now:

the system for 1v1 and Leaderboards is complete shite.

Honestly, this system needs to be changed. My biggest gripe with it is the crappy voting system and how completely useless anonymity is. I mean honestly, I understand the point of anonymity is to reduce the possibility of bias; but really, all that one needs to do to break that so very easily is to just tell their friends "Hey can you vote for me, my card is X" in a private chat and there we go.

The voting system is ridiculous; considering that it's just a straight "First to 3" without much consideration, beyond that it just lets any old schmuck vote for any crappy reason. It's an extremely poor method of determining a rightful winner, and I honestly think some major changes need to be made. BUT, I'm not just going to rail on Leaderboard without offering any suggestions:

- As an alternative to the voting system, a judging system can be implemented. Both participants can agree on one or more judges who will look over the cards and determine a winner. Leaderboard can better control who said judges can be. Judges could be anyone whom the participants agree upon, or there could be a pool of people to pick from.

- If the voting system is kept, then the "First to 3" system needs to be abolished. Instead, totals are counted by the end of the deadline. As well, a contestants ability to object to votes needs to be more well implemented, or a mediator is put into place to better ensure that good votes are made to determine a winner rather than votes made by someone who doesn't even play the game (this has happened far too many times).

Unless changes are made to 1v1 or the leaderboard, it's an area of this forum I will continue to refuse to encourage.

Leaderboard

You aren't the first person to say this, and you definitely won't be the last. I'm listening though.

Honestly, this system needs to be changed. My biggest gripe with it is the crappy voting system and how completely useless anonymity is. I mean honestly, I understand the point of anonymity is to reduce the possibility of bias; but really, all that one needs to do to break that so very easily is to just tell their friends "Hey can you vote for me, my card is X" in a private chat and there we go.

Anonymity has always been a point of contention. It started in an era where Skype was hardly used among YCMers and Discord didn't exist, and it stayed as both became commonplace. With vote negation and such, I don't think it'd be much of a problem to abolish it and see where it goes.

The voting system is ridiculous; considering that it's just a straight "First to 3" without much consideration, beyond that it just lets any old schmuck vote for any crappy reason. It's an extremely poor method of determining a rightful winner, and I honestly think some major changes need to be made. BUT, I'm not just going to rail on Leaderboard without offering any suggestions:

- As an alternative to the voting system, a judging system can be implemented. Both participants can agree on one or more judges who will look over the cards and determine a winner. Leaderboard can better control who said judges can be. Judges could be anyone whom the participants agree upon, or there could be a pool of people to pick from.

- If the voting system is kept, then the "First to 3" system needs to be abolished. Instead, totals are counted by the end of the deadline. As well, a contestants ability to object to votes needs to be more well implemented, or a mediator is put into place to better ensure that good votes are made to determine a winner rather than votes made by someone who doesn't even play the game (this has happened far too many times).

As to your second point, there is an established chain of vote negation/appeal in place. Participants--->Myself---> CC Mods. The main peoblem I've noticed is that the negation/appeal from the upper two levels are rarely utilized. I step in if a voter doesn't give enough reasoning, yet for an appeal based on quality isn't really there. With Black on the team, I imagine he'll help with the appeals based on quality.

As for your first point, CC doesn't have enough people to act as quality judges. In a perfect world, I'd call in TCG members to act as judges, though I don't have the contacts necessary for that and some TCG members can't really be trusted with the responsibility. Now Black is in charge, hopefully he can use his contacts should we go that route.

Unless changes are made to 1v1 or the leaderboard, it's an area of this forum I will continue to refuse to encourage.

And there we go.

Here are my few cents:

Advanced and Casual

What's annoyed me a little about the casual section as it doesn't seem like a place that you can really provide feedback beyond basic praise. I say this, because Advanced is there for considering balance and a card's impact on the overall metagame, while Casual is more or less "for everything else". It's not that I've ever tried, but I feel discouraged from posting in threads in Casual because it feels like all that's appropriate for me to comment on is flavor and art; as anything on the overall balance/mechanical design of the card feels off the table because "Keep that sheet in Advanced".

I'm not saying "abolish Casual", but I feel like something needs to be done to better define its place beyond the Miscellaneous equivalent for CC.

-----

Leaderboard

-----

I'm... proposing to completely change Casual and Advanced, so not sure what the has to do with anything.

-----

Anonymity is not something that should be removed, nor do I have any inclination to do so. There is no con to it. If you're a poor sport who has to cheat to win, congrats, you can't beat someone at making a card on your own.

Furthermore, if you see something of the sort happening, report it. I may be inclined to give you a little bit of a reward for coming clean, at that.

"Useless" isn't a reason to remove it. The potential cons of removing it far outway the "uselessness" of it. You can tell your friends to vote for you, all the same.

There were many times where people voted out of spite instead of looking at the cards in the past, and doing our best to avoid that is our duty. Anonymity is endorsed by the prior CC mods and myself, so, for all intents and purposes...

Assume that Anonymity is here to stay.

-----

As for the Leaderboard, I'm interested in the judges idea, but that still has many of the same issues at present... That being that the average member is not to be trusted with understanding design. Unless you pick the same judges over and over, you're doing nothing but heaping work onto certain people and encouraging no growth.

The latter idea seems fine, though. Maybe make it so that a certain number of votes are needed to end it (so no 1 vote GG), but have a deadline as well.

I'd rather implement the judges idea, but there are many issues with that, and I genuinely just went over how CC Judge is a joke, which this wants to work with. We are in no place to be doing such a thing, at present.

But... for all of this anger, the "First to 3" isn't even a rule for 1v1. If you wanna be independent of the Leaderboard, you can easily just do that. 

From what I'm seeing, the only thing that so much as IMPLIES you have to do first to 3 is the "Precedence" rule, which specifically mentions 3 "C" votes. I see nothing that says "you must do best of 3", so this just seems like a case of assuming.

The leaderboard itself is something to be taken up with Striker. While I wish to integrate more with it, it is not part of the official rules. Even then,,, the Leaderboard implies that you must First to 3 even less, because it simply says 3 Card C votes means it ends.

It doesn't say 3 is what you get to, just if 3 people find neither worry, it auto-ends. =x

Leaderboard

Well, the opponent can deny that vote, if there are no good reasons for choosing Card A over Card B and vice-versa.

I dislike the idea of anonymity in 1v1s because I feel like there should be some kind of excitement around certain people participating and their cards. idk what the scene is like but if there was someone who was way ahead of the rest, or just ahead and the result was important for their placing it'd be a lot more exciting to know what card is theirs straightaway and see how the votes unfold than see "card A" against "card B". This is especially true for playoffs - I was looking at the most recent ones and it wasn't even clear who was competing, let alone whose card was whose, which defeats the point of a playoff IMO because it's meant to be pitting the best against the best. VCR makes a good point that if you really want free biased votes you can still disclose which card is yours privately, I think it'd be more effective to have a harsher vetting process for votes (I'd be interested in being a judge, I don't play the game anymore but I still know good card design when I see it) but remove anonymity.

I dislike the idea of anonymity in 1v1s because I feel like there should be some kind of excitement around certain people participating and their cards. idk what the scene is like but if there was someone who was way ahead of the rest, or just ahead and the result was important for their placing it'd be a lot more exciting to know what card is theirs straightaway and see how the votes unfold than see "card A" against "card B". This is especially true for playoffs - I was looking at the most recent ones and it wasn't even clear who was competing, let alone whose card was whose, which defeats the point of a playoff IMO because it's meant to be pitting the best against the best. VCR makes a good point that if you really want free biased votes you can still disclose which card is yours privately, I think it'd be more effective to have a harsher vetting process for votes (I'd be interested in being a judge, I don't play the game anymore but I still know good card design when I see it) but remove anonymity.

I agree wholeheartedly.

As a matter of fact, I think the "card a card b" system is flawed in and of itself. If the voter does not have valid reasoning, the vote won't be accepted anyway, and in 1v1s that did not use it, votes still remained objective.

For the record, removing anonymity is not my decision to make as it is a section rule and not a Leaderboard specific rule. While I am moved by your arguments, the decision is left to the CC mods. All I can do is recommend changes to section rules, and it appears Black is in favor of anonymity atm.

I want to use your own example against you-

In the leaderboard, one member could be 5-0 and his opponent could be 1-4. If it wasn't anonymous, other participants, with, say, 2-3 or 3-2 records, could easily be tempted to vote for the 1-4 instead of the 5-0, on the basis that it keeps the 5-0 from getting further ahead of the gang.

I can see the point for playoffs, for sure. It makes sense that you want to keep some hype, but the issue of member bias shines through here, and it's not a concern without reason.

No, the point about privacy is not valid. Not all of our members use Discord or Skype, nor do all of them use the PM system.

You can do the same thing without anonymity, but anonymity at least serves as some sort of safeguard.

The judge program doesn't work because we have too few members who fit the bill/are active/etc., and it's very hard to measure. For example, I do not believe any of the CC Judges I've seen are who I would give the position to.

It's an ideal which I have supported in the past, but it does not work in practice. Sure, members as a whole also cannot be trusted, but it's a lot of work for everyone to see who is and who is not fit, unless you use an arbitrary test to do so.

If you can gather me a list of... let's say 7 active members who are entirely fit, I'd be willing to listen to Judge ideas, but not as-is.

I agree wholeheartedly.

As a matter of fact, I think the "card a card b" system is flawed in and of itself. If the voter does not have valid reasoning, the vote won't be accepted anyway, and in 1v1s that did not use it, votes still remained objective.

This may be the latter, but I'm replying to you frst.

That logic does not hold. It is very easy to bullshit a bit to make your points look legit, so the vote cannot simply be discarded on those grounds. That is idealistic and unrealistic. 

There have been numerous cases in the past where it was decided based on hate/like/etc., and given human nature, you cannot say that there is guaranteed objectivity.

I know I'm not a CCer at all but I wanna say a thing about this anon stuff.

I have to agree with Black. I know I could easily make up any reason for one side or another and make it sound passable enough. You COULD say "I disagree with your reasoning so we're not taking it" but it's simple enough to phrase a reasoning in a way that makes it really difficult to tell.

Also I know from watching Polls that people like to vote for the thing that beat their nomination and I could see a similar thing happening here.

Is it right? Definitely not. But it's gonna happen and even just once can skew things entirely.

It's something that's very difficult to make a decision on unless you have an idea of the benefit of having it not be anonymous and the effect one can have on their votes even with anonymity. The way I see it it'd be a large improvement to the excitement of the leaderboard to have cards not be anonymous, but on the other hand I do agree that it's a little harder to make people vote for you when cards are anonymous. I'd be curious to at least try out transparency to see what effect it has because it's tough to evaluate otherwise.

If this will get my DBZ Gallery more views/comments, go for it. XD

I am honestly tempted to punish you for this.

We're trying to encourage discussion, and you're adding nothing except softly advertising.

If you have thoughts, chip them in, but don't just vie for attention.

It's something that's very difficult to make a decision on unless you have an idea of the benefit of having it not be anonymous and the effect one can have on their votes even with anonymity. The way I see it it'd be a large improvement to the excitement of the leaderboard to have cards not be anonymous, but on the other hand I do agree that it's a little harder to make people vote for you when cards are anonymous. I'd be curious to at least try out transparency to see what effect it has because it's tough to evaluate otherwise.

It was transparent for a long time. I guess a trial tag system could be implemented (though I'd love my colleagues to comment on this *cough*), but I really think it's a matter of dealing with human nature, which can be volatile and ugly, and shows its head in competitions.

I can see merit to it for higher level things (Leaderboard semi/quarter/etc.), despite the issues of human nature still holding there, but overall... I just don't see it.

I brought this up in the YCM Discord chat, and I'll put it here.

I don't think people who are post banned should be able to participate in contests (regular and 1v1) during the duration of the ban. We have a current case of that happening in 1v1, and it doesn't seem right that people can work around the post ban while others post to reserve spots in 1v1. For Regular Contests, it is the principle behind it. Why should post banned people still be able to participate while facing the consequences of their actions? Doesn't seem fair tbh.

I am honestly tempted to punish you for this.

"So you've got a tank. Big whoop. Want to fight about it?!" lol

...But seriously... Don't be so serious... -__-

^                                 ^

XD

On topic: Why did the format change in the first place? It was fine how it was. Card makers are getting less views and comments on their threads than ever now. :(

If you're referring to the Advanced Clause and its forum-wide applications, then it's been a thing since 2013; it simply hasn't been enforced enough between the time Black/Koko were demoted in 2013 and when I got promoted two years ago (I don't know how often Zex punished people for AC breaking).

The general scope of it has been modified over that time, but the concept is nothing new. 

Basically, it exists so that cardmakers can get proper critique on their works. I'm going to assume you were around during the days of ragnarok1945 and when he posted comments that were essentially pointless (basically rating because whatever). It is not intended to stifle activity in the section, but rather serves 2 purposes: Makes sure that the user who made the cards gets appropriate critique that they can actually use to fix the cards (if anything) and the reviewer being able to show that they know what they're talking about and back it up. 

(But as Black mentioned, you're really only advertising your DBZ thread, which is not helping us further discussion.)

I brought this up in the YCM Discord chat, and I'll put it here.

I don't think people who are post banned should be able to participate in contests (regular and 1v1) during the duration of the ban. We have a current case of that happening in 1v1, and it doesn't seem right that people can work around the post ban while others post to reserve spots in 1v1. For Regular Contests, it is the principle behind it. Why should post banned people still be able to participate while facing the consequences of their actions? Doesn't seem fair tbh.

I'm in agreement with this; if you want to participate in contests, actually post in the thread and not reserve PM entries. It's not fair for other members who didn't get their post privileges locked off that they still need to reserve spaces in contests in there. 

If you're post locked due to breaking rules, then you do not deserve to participate in contests nor get a free pass by PMing.

This was something that hadn't been addressed until now, but effective immediately, if people are going to vote or request a space in 1v1s or general contests, they must post in the threads themselves. PMed challenges or voting reasons will no longer be permitted.

-----

There are things that I wish to say regarding Black's proposals and why CC is structured the way it is, but I'll address them in another post.

In regards to anonymity, how about making 1v1s anonymous by default and if the two contestants both agree they'd like to put their names on their respective cards, then let them do that? If they both want to while knowing any potential consequences to come from that, then it should be fine. And if a member would rather compete anonymously, then they won't be forced to add on any stress from putting their name out there.

In regards to anonymity, how about making 1v1s anonymous by default and if the two contestants both agree they'd like to put their names on their respective cards, then let them do that? If they both want to while knowing any potential consequences to come from that, then it should be fine. And if a member would rather compete anonymously, then they won't be forced to add on any stress from putting their name out there.

This is something I considered, but it is essentially removign anonymity.

In doing so, most people will no longer be anonymous, and it'll mean people wh owant the anonymity will be seen as a hassle/nuisance/etc.

It's worse than one way or the other.

You'd know the culture and member base there way better than I, so if that's a real possibility, than maybe it's best not to do that. But I'll say that I wouldn't give a damn either way and if people aren't dicks, then they shouldn't single someone out on wanting to be anonymous or claiming they're a stick in the mud. If people won't give members a hard time for opting out of the YMB, then I'd hope they'd do the same here and respect their wishes.

Archived