Phantasy Dancer

The Nyx Avatar

faQHd8k.jpg

LORE:When this card is Normal Summoned: You can reveal the top 5 cards from your Deck; Special Summon 1 DARK monster among them in face-up Defense Position; shuffle the rest of the cards into the Deck. If this card is Special Summoned: You can banish 1 face-up Spell Card on the field or in either player's Graveyard.

I like this one.

The first effect is nice for generating board presence and/or extending plays by, for instance, Summoning monster with on-Summon effects such as Armageddon Knight, while still holding a slight risk of not revealing the best monster for the situation, or none at all depending on the build of the deck, but naturally this card will be best used on decks with considerable amount of DARKs summonable by its effect.

The risk of easily summoning big beaters is neutered by the ATK/DEF reduction to 0, so it's safe on that regard. And the second effect is a welcomed disruption effect; in this case it can get away without targeting IMO. Finally as DARK/Spellcaster it gets cute support, I'm specifically thinking of Dark Renewal which will activate its second effect right away.

I like this one.

The first effect is nice for generating board presence and/or extending plays by, for instance, Summoning monster with on-Summon effects such as Armageddon Knight, while still holding a slight risk of not revealing the best monster for the situation, or none at all depending on the build of the deck, but naturally this card will be best used on decks with considerable amount of DARKs summonable by its effect.

The risk of easily summoning big beaters is neutered by the ATK/DEF reduction to 0, so it's safe on that regard.

Nah; the most you'd be able to pull off is potential Synchro or Xyz plays. Slow, but not impossible.

And the second effect is a welcomed disruption effect; in this case it can get away without targeting IMO.

Really, the only concern you'd have with targeting removal of Spell Cards is Sky Iris, but that's about it.

Finally as DARK/Spellcaster it gets cute support, I'm specifically thinking of Dark Renewal which will activate its second effect right away.

Even if this card's effect doesn't miss timing, Dark Renewal in itself would.

Even if this card's effect doesn't miss timing, Dark Renewal in itself would.

I'm a little confused by this part. Dark Renewal's last action is Summoning the DARK Spellcaster. Am I missing something? D=

About my thoughts on the card, I like it quite a bit. It is an upgraded Myrmeleo, getting rid of Scales and floating Spell/Trap Cards like Geartown without setting them off.

I was thinking on suggesting a few things for the other effect, but I might be changing it up a bit too much. Well, here goes nothing.

I'd personally reduce the excavate number to 4 or even 3 cards, but in exchange I'd make it so that the cards at the end get returned in any order to the top/bottom to get something out of it even when you don't get to Summon and combo with cards like Archfiend's Oath. I'd also get rid of the "Summoned monster becomes 0 ATK/DEF" and instead Summon the monster in Defense Position. That'd still prevent aggressiveness by the new monster but would leave room for cute little interactions like Zero Gravity, or just of making sure the monster could be a threat next turn (when it can change positions manually).

The way it currently is does have the plus that it excavates for more cards, giving potentially more choices and a bigger chance of landing a Summon, so there's that. 

I'm a little confused by this part. Dark Renewal's last action is Summoning the DARK Spellcaster. Am I missing something? D=

With the way I worded my card, I worded it with the intention to not miss timing. But as for Dark Renewal:

When your opponent Normal or Special Summons a monster(s): Target 1 of those monsters and 1 Spellcaster-Type monster you control; send both monsters to the Graveyard, then you can Special Summon 1 DARK Spellcaster-Type monster from your Deck or Graveyard.

It requires a bit more timing.

With the way I worded my card, I worded it with the intention to not miss timing. But as for Dark Renewal:

When your opponent Normal or Special Summons a monster(s): Target 1 of those monsters and 1 Spellcaster-Type monster you control; send both monsters to the Graveyard, then you can Special Summon 1 DARK Spellcaster-Type monster from your Deck or Graveyard.

It requires a bit more timing.

Even if Dark Renewal says "when" instead of "if", I don't think Summoning your card via Renewal's effect would make anything miss.

Though if you are saying that the "when" part makes Dark Renewal harder to activate to begin with in general, rather than refering to the interaction between Renewal and your card specifically, I could understand.

Nah; the most you'd be able to pull off is potential Synchro or Xyz plays. Slow, but not impossible.

Yeah, when I said it generates board presence, I was indirectly referring to this. I mean, it makes board, or rather, field presence to follow up with Synchro or Xyz plays. Maybe I should have pointed this out.

And still, triggering the effect of the summoned monsters, something other (as I call them) "1-card ED monsters" such as Norden, TGU or Wolfbark cannot do, is nice too.

You know, guys, given the fact that's it's dependant on a lone Normal Summon and how you can only excavate 5 3 cards...

It's not like you are always guaranteed to Summon something, unless the Deck was like 30-something DARK monsters with little to no Spell/Traps, as you are generally playing the odds with This card. Not saying you should put it back to 5 excavated cards, but rather... Don't dwell too much on this sort of effect- it's basically like Sylvans; they could self-mill/etc, but even they left a lot of it up to chance because they lacked any real Deck manipulation effects(they only had like 2 or so cards they would honestly play), and as a result, that random 'luck' factor in there effects is what held back any real potential they had. The same logic applies here; Sleepy also has the best drawback for This card, Summoning stuff in Defense, since This card's gimmick is also a drawback by itself.

You know, guys, given the fact that's it's dependant on a lone Normal Summon and how you can only excavate 5 3 cards...

It's not like you are always guaranteed to Summon something, unless the Deck was like 30-something DARK monsters with little to no Spell/Traps, as you are generally playing the odds with This card. Not saying you should put it back to 5 excavated cards, but rather... Don't dwell too much on this sort of effect- it's basically like Sylvans; they could self-mill/etc, but even they left a lot of it up to chance because they lacked any real Deck manipulation effects(they only had like 2 or so cards they would honestly play), and as a result, that random 'luck' factor in there effects is what held back any real potential they had. The same logic applies here; Sleepy also has the best drawback for This card, Summoning stuff in Defense, since This card's gimmick is also a drawback by itself.

So, might I be able to do this? Change the ATK and DEF to 0 drawback for a Defense Position drawback?

Ah, also to clear something up:

In the case of "When a monster is Summoned" conditions seen on cards like Dark Renewal and Bottomless Trap Hole, it having "when" instead of "if" makes little difference, if any at all, because in either case the Summon should still be the last thing to happen and they respond to a Summon, not to effects in a chain. Hmm... at the moment I don't know how to further elaborate on that but, I will just leave as example that, if BTH had "If" in its condition, then it wouldn't be any easier to activate than it is now. I will give you that Dark Renewal is a bit cumbersome to activate, given its activation requirements (responding on an opponent's Summon, requiring a Spellcaster on your field, being able to target and send both to the grave for it to resolve, etc.)

Anyway, keep in mind that Dark Renewal is not the only thing going for this card. For instance, it also has Magical Dimension, which will also trigger this card's second effect even if you decide to destroy a card afterwards, since it doesn't miss the timing; and that's really cool.

Regarding the exchange of 0 ATK/DEF for Defense Position... I'm not sure myself since you can also Summon monsters that have both high ATK and DEF, allowing you to wall for the turn, and take up the aggression afterwards. Not to mention than even if they have low DEF, with enough protection you can keep them safe until the next turn and beat things up. Personally I would stick with 0 ATK/DEF to be safe, but I admit I may be being too careful there.

Actually... just go for it. even if one decided to run beaters or walls for the sake of this card, putting them on the deck should compromise consistency and all of that, which should act as a drawback.

I do support the idea of re-arranging the revealed cards, just so you get a bit of value even when you don't reveal anything that can be summoned by its effect.

Ah, also to clear something up:

In the case of "When a monster is Summoned" conditions seen on cards like Dark Renewal and Bottomless Trap Hole, it having "when" instead of "if" makes little difference, if any at all, because in either case the Summon should still be the last thing to happen and they respond to a Summon, not to effects in a chain. Hmm... at the moment I don't know how to further elaborate on that but, I will just leave as example that, if BTH had "If" in its condition, then it wouldn't be any easier to activate than it is now. I will give you that Dark Renewal is a bit cumbersome to activate, given its activation requirements (responding on an opponent's Summon, requiring a Spellcaster on your field, being able to target and send both to the grave for it to resolve, etc.)

Anyway, keep in mind that Dark Renewal is not the only thing going for this card. For instance, it also has Magical Dimension, which will also trigger this card's second effect even if you decide to destroy a card afterwards, since it doesn't miss the timing; and that's really cool.

Regarding the exchange of 0 ATK/DEF for Defense Position... I'm not sure myself since you can also Summon monsters that have both high ATK and DEF, allowing you to wall for the turn, and take up the aggression afterwards. Not to mention than even if they have low DEF, with enough protection you can keep them safe until the next turn and beat things up. Personally I would stick with 0 ATK/DEF to be safe, but I admit I may be being too careful there.

Actually... just go for it. even if one decided to run beaters or walls for the sake of this card, putting them on the deck should compromise consistency and all of that, which should act as a drawback.

I do support the idea of re-arranging the revealed cards, just so you get a bit of value even when you don't reveal anything that can be summoned by its effect.

The relations is more about using Dark Renewal itself, rather than about this card.

Anywho: Edit the effect to Special Summon in face-up Defense Position.

Archived