[AGM, Written] Cookie Kingdom!

Draconus297

[spoiler= Prompt]

Cookie Kingdom

A sweet little archetype focused primarily around boosting your own Life Points and Synchro Summoning. All of the Main Deck monsters are Tuners, with effects similar to Dandylion in addition to ways to increase your own Life Points. These crumbling little cookies don't have very much going for them in the way of stats . . . at least, until you get to their Extra Deck and meet their Synchros. These "Cookie Kingdom Nobility" monsters are named after various "sandwich cookies" (Oreos, Milanos, etc) and have powerful effects that trigger when your LP is higher than your opponent's, similar to Aromages. Each of the Synchro monsters also has a secondary effect to help the Main Deck do its thing, be it an inverse Dark Room of Nightmare, Token protection/Tributing effects, retrieval, or even discards to get Tokens to appear from nowhere. Their S/T support focuses on continuous "Cookie Shops", with ways to search, revive, retrieve, and protect your Cookie Kingdom monsters.

[spoiler= Main Deck Monsters]

Cookie Kingdom Oatmeal

LIGHT - Level 1 - Fairy/Tuner/Effect - 300/400

Cannot be used as Synchro Material, except for the Synchro Summon of a LIGHT Synchro monster. If this card is sent to the Graveyard, you can Special Summon 1 "Cookie Token" (LIGHT/Level 1/Fairy-Type/ATK 0/DEF 0) to your side of the field. If you Synchro Summon a Fairy-Type Synchro monster, you can Special Summon this monster from your hand: If this monster is Special Summoned this way, increase your Life Points by 500.

Cookie Kingdom Chocolate Chip

LIGHT - Level 2 - Fairy/Tuner/Effect - 600/600

Cannot be used as Synchro Material, except for the Synchro Summon of a LIGHT Synchro monster. If this monster is Normal Summoned, you can Special Summon 2 "Cookie Tokens" (LIGHT/Level 1/Fairy-Type/ATK 0/DEF 0) to your side of the field. If this card is in your Graveyard and you Special Summon a LIGHT Synchro monster, you can Special Summon this monster: If this monster is Special Summoned this way, increase your Life Points by 600 (You can only Special Summon 1 "Cookie Kingdom Chocolate Chip" this way per turn).

Cookie Kingdom Fudge

LIGHT - Level 3 - Fairy/Tuner/Effect - 1100/1000

Cannot be used as Synchro Material, except for the Synchro Summon of a LIGHT Synchro monster. If you Special Summon a "Cookie Kingdom" monster, you can Special Summon up to 3 "Cookie Tokens" (LIGHT/Level 1/Fairy-Type/ATK 0/DEF 0) to your side of the field. Once per turn, if you Summon a LIGHT monster, you can increase your Life Points by 700.

Cookie Kingdom Crumble

LIGHT - Level 4 - Fairy/Tuner/Effect - 1600/1200

Cannot be used as Synchro Material, except for the Synchro Summon of a LIGHT Synchro monster. If this monster leaves the field, you can Special Summon up to 4 "Cookie Tokens" (LIGHT/Level 1/Fairy-Type/ATK 0/DEF 0) to your side of the field. Once per turn, you can send 1 LIGHT monster from your hand or Deck to the Graveyard: Increase your Life Points by 1000.

[spoiler= Spells/Traps]

Cookie Kingdom

Field Spell

During each End Phase, increase your Life Points by 200 for every LIGHT Fairy-Type monster on your side of the field. If your Life Points are higher than your opponent's: This card and all "Cookie Kingdom" monsters you control cannot be targeted by card effects. Once per turn, if you Normal Summon a LIGHT Fairy-Type monster: You can Special Summon 1 "Cookie Kingdom" monster from your hand or Graveyard.

Family Cookie Shop

Continuous Spell

Once per turn, if you control 2 or more LIGHT Fairy-Type monsters: You can add 1 "Cookie Kingdom" monster or "Cookie Shop" Continuous Spell from your Deck to your hand. If this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard: Gain 1000 Life Points.

Corporate Cookie Shop

Continuous Spell

Once per turn, if your Life Points are higher than your opponent's, you can target 1 "Cookie Kingdom" monster in your Graveyard: Special Summon that target. If this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard: Gain 1000 Life Points.

Upscale Cookie Shop

Continuous Spell

During your Standby Phase, if your Life Points are higher than your opponent's: Your opponent cannot destroy "Cookie Kingdom" monsters (by battle or card effect) until your next Standby Phase. If a "Cookie Kingdom" or "Cookie Shop" card (except "Upscale Cookie Shop") you control would leave the field, you can send 1 "Cookie Shop" card you control to the Graveyard, instead.

Cookie Kingdom Ramparts

Continuous Trap

When this card is activated, you can add 1 "Cookie Kingdom" monster from your Deck to your hand. Once per turn, if you would pay Life Points or take damage: You can send 1 LIGHT monster from your Deck to the Graveyard to reduce that cost or damage to 0. During your Draw Phase, gain 100 Life Points.

Cookie Kingdom Reserves

Normal Trap

After this card resolves, you can Synchro Summon 1 Synchro monster from your Extra Deck using "Cookie Kingdom" monsters and/or "Cookie Tokens" you control as Material, and have the combined Levels of those monsters exceed the Level of the monster you intend to Summon: For each Level higher than the Synchro Summoned monster's Level the Materials used were, increase your Life Points by 300.

[spoiler= Extra Deck]

Cookie Kingdom Nobility - Fig Wafer

LIGHT - Level 5 - Fairy/Synchro/Effect - 2200/1500

1 LIGHT Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters

If your Life Points are higher than your opponent's, if a "Cookie Kingdom" monsters you control battles, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the Damage Step. If your Life Points would be increased by the effect of a "Cookie Kingdom" or "Cookie Shop" card, except "Cookie Kingdom Nobility - Fig Wafer", increase your Life Points by 300.

Cookie Kingdom Nobility - Peanut Wafer

LIGHT - Level 6 - Fairy/Synchro/Effect - 2400/1300

1 LIGHT Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner LIGHT monsters

During either player's turn, if your Life Points are higher than your opponent's, you can Special Summon 1 "Cookie Kingdom" monster from your hand or Graveyard: Your opponent cannot activate cards or effects in response to this effect, or the Summon of a monster Summoned by this effect). Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 Token on the field: Increase your Life Points by 800.

Cookie Kingdom Nobility - Creme Wafer

LIGHT - Level 7 - Fairy/Synchro/Effect - 2500/1800

1 "Cookie Kingdom" Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters

If your Life Points are higher than your opponent's, "Cookie Kingdom" monsters you control gain ATK and DEF equal to the difference.

Cookie Kingdom Nobility - Chocolate Wafer

LIGHT - Level 8 - Fairy/Synchro/Effect - 2800/2400

1 "Cookie Kingdom" Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner LIGHT monsters

If your Life Points are higher than your opponent's and a LIGHT Fairy-Type monster you control destroys your opponent's monster by battle: Your opponent takes damage equal to the original ATK of the destroyed monster. Once per turn, you can discard 1 card: Special Summon 1 "Cookie Token" (LIGHT/Level 1/Fairy-Type/ATK 0/DEF 0) to either side of the field.

Cookie Kingdom Nobility - Sweet Creme Wafer

LIGHT - Level 9 - Fairy/Synchro/Effect - 3000/2600

1 LIGHT Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner Synchro monsters

If your Life Points are higher than your opponent's: "Cookie Kingdom" monsters you control can attack twice per Battle Phase. Once per turn, if a "Cookie Kingdom" monster inflicts Battle Damage to your opponent, you can Special Summon 1 "Cookie Kingdom" monster from your Graveyard. Your opponent must target "Cookie Tokens" you control for attacks or card effects, if possible.

Cookie Kingdom Nobility - Decadent Delight

LIGHT - Level 10 - Fairy/Synchro/Effect - 3300/3000

1 "Cookie Kingdom" Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner Synchro monsters

Up to twice per turn, during either player's turn, if your Life Points are higher than your opponent's, you can target 1 card your opponent controls: Your opponent cannot activate the effects of cards with that name for the rest of the turn. If all monsters you control (min. 3) are "Cookie Kingdom" monsters and/or "Cookie Tokens", the effects of all monsters your opponent controls are negated during the Battle Phase. If you gain Life Points, draw 1 card (you can only activate this effect of "Cookie Kingdom Nobility - Decadent Delight" once per turn).

Okay, first off I'd like to say I'm not great with critiquing synchros, I'm generally not great with making large combo plays, so I stick to simple synchros like Blue-Eyes Spirit Dragon. So I’m not going to be as effective at seeing how many Synchros you could pull off in one turn, or things like that. However I definitely like the idea of having Dandelion-like effects as an archetype, so this feels like great material for a review.

Cookie Kingdom Oatmeal: It is nice that upon being sent to the grave in any form you do get a “Cookie Token”. Since a lot of your Spells and Traps send Cookie monsters from the Deck to the Grave this would be your first choice. But I like that you went beyond this, giving it an effect that allows it to be Special Summoned upon Synchro Summoning, which will allow you to go another level higher on the Synchro Level ladder you’ve created.

Cookie Kingdom Chocolate Chip: Okay, so when I first saw this card I started wondering “what other Synchros could you instantly make just by normal summoning this card?” So I looked up level 4 Light Synchro monsters and found 2, Armory Arm, which would be great for this deck as it would buff weaker monsters and deal burn damage to get your opponent’s life lower than yours, and Herald of Arc Light, which this deck probably wouldn’t care for since your Cookie monsters want to go to the grave, but it could be useful for situational tech I guess, and other decks that want access to it, which there are a few. Of course then I realized, this doesn’t just give you access to level 4 Light Synchros, if you summon a level 4 Light Synchro, you could immediately summon this from the Grave to summon a level 6 Light Synchro monster, of which there are three, Powered Inzektron, which is okay I guess, Metaphys Horus, which gives free targeted effect negation of any card on the field, and get this, Virgil, Rock Star of the Burning Abyss. Suffice to say I think you should alter this card’s effect a bit, just for the fact that this is basically one card effect negation, or one card Virgil in BA, which honestly BA does not need to be able to summon Virgil this easily, and continue to stay relevant in the meta for as long as it has. Anyway, what you’re going for is good, just tone this card down a bit so it can’t turn into a 1 card effect negation or spin. That said, for the archetype it’s running in, it’s really good, I’d definitely run 3, so maybe make it more restrictive somehow.

Cookie Kingdom Fudge: Okay, not too big a deal, but you might want to add a HOPT to summoning those tokens. Again, not that great with Synchros, but this seems like something that could be easily abused, and I know Synchro players make a lot of ridiculous plays in one turn, but this seems a bit too far.

Cookie Kingdom Crumble: A cost that helps promote the engine, I like that this card’s effect only activate as it leaves the field, it’s harder to abuse, you have to synchro with it, or just let it be destroyed and act as a free scapegoat. Even if your opponent tributes it, you get scapegoats, which is great.

Cookie Kingdom: Great field spell. It rewards you for doing what this archetype does best, spamming monsters, while giving you LP in the process, to help protect this card. The effect being tied to your Normal Summon is great, and a good reason to keep at least one Cookie Kingdom monster in the hand so you don’t overextend. That said, I’m not sure about the “unaffected by your opponent’s card effects” part. This makes the card really bothersome to get over, as it leaves your opponent with no other option but to continually beat your monsters into the ground until they can chip at your LP, then they can finally destroy it.

Family Cookie Shop: Good restriction on the Continuous Spell, that actually matches the name of the card “Family”, so you need at least two. This deck will have an easy time using it, and it makes it harder for other decks to use it in a way that isn’t the standard gimmicks to make them archetype specific, so you could still possibly splash in some other monsters for this engine. Again, it also makes you want to not overextend, just in case something happens and you need to recover quickly. The effect upon destruction is great too, as it’s not uncommon for Continuous Spells to leave the field pretty quick. You might want to make it so you can only control 1 at a time, three searches in one turn is ludicrous though.

Corporate Cookie Shop: The synergy with “Family Cookie Shop” is real, and gives more incentive to keep your LP higher. Though this is just making me think how hard it will be to continue if your opponent gets a quick lead on you in LP at the beginning, but the reward is great.

Upscale Cookie Shop: Just, no, this seems way too strong, and I haven’t even gotten to the Synchros yet. I mean I know Monarchs have a similar card that has less restrictions, but this also prevents battle destruction, which means if you place your monsters in defense position you’ve created an insurmountable wall that your opponent will struggle to overcome, as you sit behind it allowing your LP to soar ever higher. If it was protection once per turn it might be a bit better, or if it had a LP cost to prevent destruction so it’s about managing your LP, like say money for a Cookie business, that might be better. The fact it also wraps in continuous protection for your Cookie Kingdom and Cookie Shop cards, including itself also hard to swallow. I feel like this would be better with an OPT clause too.

Cookie Kingdom Ramparts: Quick question, is it supposed to be 100 LP or 1000 LP? Anyway, as a Trap it’s inherently slow, so I like that you gave more advantage to it by allowing it to search when activated, good stuff. Also, thank you for that OPT, this card if a lot more balanced with it, and would be great to prevent burn decks from getting the jump on you in LP. Though this card further convinces me it would be much better to give Upscale Cookie Shop a cost, and use this to cover that cost.  

Cookie Kingdom Reserves: Like King’s Synchro it’s a great Trap to avoid targeted effects or battle. However I’m a bit unsure about exceeding part. This just begs for shenanigans, and I decided to check, but you could use this to Summon Shooting Quasar Dragon or Stardust Sifr Divine Dragon, which is pretty ridiculous in my mind as this card is much more powerful than King’s Synchro. Also not sure about this, but since this is being activated, does the effect of it being unable to Synchro Summon non-light monsters still apply, because that opens a whole ’nother can of worms. I think you need to rework this to exact Level honestly, just too easy for abuse otherwise.

Cookie Kingdom Nobility - Fig Wafer: Nice, Armades for the whole Cookie Crew. Honestly with the prevalence of the elemental mirror force this is a great effect for today’s meta. That 300 LP boost seems just right too.

Cookie Kingdom Nobility - Peanut Wafer: Cookie beatdown coming through. Honestly, I think you might want a ‘You can only control 1 “Cookie Kingdom Nobility - Peanut Wafer”.’ I mean with just a 1500 difference in LP you make all of your monsters gain 3000 ATK with two of these on the field. That effect is good enough, but the second effect makes this card pretty OP in my mind. All you need to do to disrupt your opponent’s plays is just gain a few LP and they won’t be able to do much at all this turn to turn things around. The Token protection is fine enough, it’s not super prevalent that you must protect those Tokens, but it is useful. Though we should probably talk about the Level, this is the Level that made me afraid. Again, with “Cookie Kingdom Chocolate Chip” you have a 1 card “Peanut Wafer”. One card combos are ridiculously dangerous. I’d suggest making its ATK boosting only apply to itself, or making your Cookie Kingdom Synchros weaker in statline, and have this card as a key player to help boost their ATK honestly. That and changing this card’s level, because it’s really too powerful for a 1 card combo that’s easily searchable.

Cookie Kingdom Nobility - Creme Wafer: Honestly, I think this should be the Level 6 Synchro. Okayish effect for a 1 card combo, the restriction is good. The fact that your opponent can’t negate the summoning seems a bit unnecessary to me. The tributing of tokens is good, especially if you need to clear field space to make more Cookie Co-co-co-combos.

Cookie Kingdom Nobility - Chocolate Wafer: Oh wow, this card is evil, I love it. Burn damage to keep your opponent’s LP lower than your opponent’s. The discard effect at first seems like a steep cost, but then your realize you can summon it to your opponent’s side of the field, so this not only gives a Token to possibly make a Synchro monster get 1 more step up the Synchro ladder you created, it can be used to allow a free attack on that Token so you can get your opponent’s LP lower than yours, and start inflicting that burn damage. Honestly this is good stuff.

Cookie Kingdom Nobility - Sweet Creme Wafer: This is getting somewhat ridiculous. Applying a standard Quasar effect to your entire monster line-up is just a beatdown waiting to happen. The unaffected by card effects for just having a token is also a bit ridiculous. Honestly, I think you’re trying to make Cookie Lockdown, which is fine, but this protection is kind of ridiculous.

Cookie Kingdom Nobility - Decadent Delight: Okay, that draw 2 needs to be a draw 1, this is also able to be used even during your opponent’s turn, and that hand advantage gets ridiculous even at draw 1. The mass effect negation is also kind of broken in my opinion. The only other card I can think of that negates all your opponent’s monster effect for free is Destiny Hero - Plasma, and you don’t see Destiny Hero - Plasma turbo because the damn thing is so hard to get out. There’s also Number 107, but it negates your own monster’s too, and can only be used at the start of the Battle Phase, so it isn’t continuous. So maybe make it so that if you control 3 Cookie monsters, once per turn it can negate an effect of an opponent’s monster.

Overall:

So for the normal monsters I love that they each generate tokens in different way, I love tokens as the idea to use for Synchro materials, because it’s quite unique and I think Tokens should be made more relevant in the game. I love that they each have unique ways to increase your LP, to help promote keeping your LP higher, and I love the idea of being able to run a Synchro deck with tuners alone in the main deck. That said Chocolate Chip needs to be nerfed, it could be splashed in anything for free effect negation, or in BA for a free spin.

For spells and traps, you have the right idea, Cookie Shops are a great mechanic, just nerf the Upscale Cookie Shop, and Cookie Kingdom’s Reserves, maybe even Cookie Kingdom itself.

For the Synchros, well I just think there’s too much protection from the spells/traps that can even protect themselves, and this just adds to it to lock down your opponents from doing anything to hinder your field. I notice they all basically have two effects, maybe cutting down on one of them, or maybe splitting them between two Cookie synchros of the same level will help this.

All things considered I think this deck has some potential but is a bit too strong in it’s current state. With a few nerfs here and there this is definitely a deck that would get me interested in learning how to play Synchros though.

As the deck is now, I feel it would have a rough time against burn decks like Red-Eyes, as your field protection wouldn’t do much against them as they’ll hit your LP through your monsters. Also, Domain Monarchs will shut this deck down quick, sorry to say. Speaking of Monarchs you should probably make it so Cookie Tokens can’t be tributed since it’s easy to spam the field with them. Crumble could easily be teched in a God card deck, or something, and that’s just no good. Against Kozmos, I think you win, Kozmos burn through their own LP really quick, and Forerunner won’t be able to keep up. Blue-Eyes might be harder for you to take down, as you don’t seem to have much effect destruction, their base statline is pretty high, and Number 38 will give you some troubles by preventing you from activating your Spells.

Against Floodgates your Cookies will unfortunately crumble, as I already mentioned you have the Domain Monarchs to look out for, but not only that, Vanity’s will shut this deck down, and it’s so common nowadays. Your deck doesn’t have many ways to deal with Vanity’s, so tech in some MST’s or something. And of course, the Maxx "C" challenge will probably ruin your day if you take it.

Anyway, great archetype idea, could use some work, but no one makes the perfect cookie on their first try.

Actually, due to how Chocolate Chip is worded, it's not instant ladder on its own- it has to be in the Graveyard before the Special Summon, meaning that it can't trigger off of a Summon that it was a Material for. That misunderstanding made for a continuous gaffe, but I'll admit that effect wordings eluded me for a while.

Meh point on Fudge, it's honestly not worth the trouble to HOPT an effect that requires you to leave out a Level 3 monster with meh stats for extra Token swarms.

I admit that I might have gone a little overboard with Cookie Kingdom itself . . . maybe if it was reduced to targeting immunity for itself . . .

Maybe on restricting Family. This isn't exactly a high-power archetype (like say Raidraptor, which has a similar card) and one well-timed Solemn or Vanity's can end the archetype in a heartbeat. I'm loathe to weaken the archetype, really, because the Life Points gimmick is just so fun.

Oh yeah, Corporate is definitely meant to combo with Family. I honestly picture Cookie Kingdom mirror matches being decided entirely by the Cookie Shops, actually.

Once per turn would absolutely kill the point of Upscale, protecting the weaker monsters long enough for solid pushes. Maybe I could take away its ability to protect itself . . .

Ramparts is meant to have 100 on Draw Phase, just to provide tiny boosts where necessary.

Reserves actually performs a semi-proper Synchro Summon, so the materials need to be correct. As such, because Cookie Kingdom lacks Synchro Tuners, you *can't* bring out Quasar or Sifr with it, even with Lightwave Tuning (because that only turns Level 4 or lower LIGHT monsters into Tuners, and Cookie Kingdom lacks a Level 4 Synchro). Exceeding exists just to feed into Fig Wafer Summons with automatic Armades, or to power up Peanut Wafer.

Yeah, Peanut Wafer's protection is just kinda awkward, but I wanted it to have *something* in addition to its sheer boosting capacity. I could remove the protection effects, and make it a slightly better ASW that can't revive itself.

Huh. Switching the effects of Creme and Peanut Wafers could work, actually. I think I'll do that, on top of removing that weird protection.

The protection can be removed, I suppose, to make Sweet Creme balanced, as well as a soft OPT on the revival effect.

I'm about to overhaul Decadent Delight, tell me what you think.

Huh, is that how it'd work? I thought since it said "If" the timing wasn't an issue.

Honestly, targeting immunity would be best, most spell destruction targets, but it still leaves a few small outs.

Wait, didn't you have the restriction on family already, that's what I was critiquing, wasn't it?

Honestly, the protection of Upscale Cookie Shop from any type of removal for itself multiple times in a singles turn is somewhat problematic. If there was a limit to how many times it could protect itself, that would be a lot better.

Huh, guess I screwed up on reading reserves. So nevermind, it isn't an easy Sifr or Quasar. Though this deck could get out a formula synchron since it's a light monster, so hey, maybe you could side Quasar or Sifr, hell, maybe even get a quasar that can attack 3 times in a turn, lol.

Honestly I think those changes to Peanut Wafer, Sweet Creme Wafer, and Decadent Delight were for the best. Still monsters to be reckoned with, but not too OP. As I said, this archetype looks fun, and is definitely something I'd love to see be played,

It's "If this card is in the Graveyard", which means it has to be in the Graveyard already.

Alright, then.

You mentioned a "one at a time" restriction.

Well, now it can protect any of the monsters or Shops except itself.

I'm glad you think so. Maybe you could print them and test them in a Duel?

Oh god, I'm unfortunately not in the financial situation to get back into YuGiOh, I'd definitely try to find a way to program it into YGOPRO if I could, or ask someone who might be better qualified to do so if they might try.

Oh yeah, I missed the part where I said it might be good to restrict it to controlling one at time, sorry about that, I sometimes jump to conclusions without fully reading. Anyway, yeah, it's definitely something to consider.

That change to Upscale Cookie Shop is pretty good, if someone play's harpies feather duster, it's going to be destroyed anyway, so might as well tribute it to save a cookie shop, and if they try to Castel them away you have to give up your protection if it's so necessary, and gives the extra protection that your Cookie Kingdom needs.

Archived