[AGM] [Written] Renga: Revealing to swarm! (13/13)

Dova

[spoiler=Main Deck Monsters: (7)]Renga Kanshi
LIGHT - ✪✪✪✪✪ - Spellcaster/Effect - 2100/2000

You can reveal this card and 1 other “Renga” monster in your hand until the End Phase; Special Summon this monster. When this card is Special Summoned: Draw 1 card. You can only use this effect of “Renga Kanshi” once per turn.

Renga Choka
EARTH - ✪✪✪✪✪ - Spellcaster/Effect - 2200/1300

You can reveal this card and 1 other “Renga” monster in your hand until the End Phase; Special Summon this monster. When this card is Special Summoned: You can target 1 “Renga” monster in your Graveyard; add that target to your hand. You can only use this effect of “Renga Choka” once per turn.

Renga Tanka
EARTH - ✪✪✪✪✪ - Spellcaster/Effect - 600/2800

You can reveal this card and 1 other “Renga” monster in your hand until the End Phase; Special Summon this monster. When this card is Summoned: You can target 1 “Renga” monster in your Graveyard; shuffle it into the Deck, and, if you, draw 1 card. You can only use this effect of “Renga Tanka” once per turn.

Renga Uta
WIND - ✪✪✪✪✪ - Spellcaster/Effect - 1900/1800

You can reveal this card and 1 other “Renga” monster in your hand until the End Phase; Special Summon this monster. When this card is Special Summoned by a monster effect: You can destroy 1 monster your opponent controls. You can only use this effect of “Renga Uta” once per turn.

Renga Hokku
EARTH - ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪ - Spellcaster/Effect -0/3000

You can reveal this card and 1 other Level 7 “Renga” monster in your hand until the End Phase; Special Summon this monster. When this card is Special Summoned from your hand: You can reveal 2 “Renga” monsters from your Deck with different names; your opponent adds 1 of them to your hand, and sends the other 1 to the Graveyard. You can only use this effect of “Renga Hokku” once per turn.

Renga Haikai
WIND - ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪ - Spellcaster/Effect - 2700/1400
You can reveal this card and 1 other “Renga” monster in your hand until the End Phase; Special Summon this monster. When this card is Special Summoned from your hand: You can reveal 1 “Renga” monster in your hand which has not been revealed from your hand this turn; add 1 monster with the same name as that card from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of “Renga Haikai” once per turn.

Renga Haiku
WATER - ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪ - Spellcaster/Effect - 2700/1400

You can reveal this card and 1 other “Renga” monster in your hand until the End Phase; Special Summon this monster. When this card is Special Summoned from your hand: You can send 1 “Renga” monster from your hand to the Graveyard; add 1 “Renga” monster from your Deck to your hand, except “Renga Haiku”.

[spoiler=Extra Deck Monsters: (2)]Renga Imanazi
LIGHT - ✪✪✪✪✪ - Spellcaster/Xyz/Effect - 2100/2500

2 Level 5 monsters
Your opponent cannot activate cards or effects in response to effects that activate in the hand. If this card has the following monsters as Xyz Materials, it gains these effects.
● “Renga Kanshi”: Once per turn: You can add 1 “Renga” monster from your Deck to your hand, but it cannot be Summoned this turn.
● “Renga Choka”: Once per turn: You can send the top card of your Deck to the Graveyard, then if it is a “Renga” Spell/Trap Card, you can add it to your hand.
● “Renga Tanka”: Once per turn: You can send 1 “Renga” card from your Deck to the Graveyard.
● “Renga Uta”: If an opponent’s monster is destroyed, it cannot activate its effects in the Graveyard.

Renga Iganazi
LIGHT - ✪✪✪✪✪ - Spellcaster/Xyz/Effect - 2900/2300

2 Level 7 monsters
Cards in your hand or Special Summoned from your hand by monster effects are unaffected by Spell/Trap cards or effects. If this card has the following monsters as Xyz Materials, it gains these effects.
● “Renga Hokku”: Once per turn: You can target 1 “Renga” in your Graveyard; add it to your hand
● “Renga Haikai”: Once per turn: You can send the top card of your Deck to the Graveyard, then if it is a “Renga” Spell/Trap Card, you can add it to your hand.
● “Renga Haiku”: Once per turn: You can send 1 “Renka” card from your Deck to the Graveyard.

[spoiler=Spells/Traps: (4)]Renga Kamachi
Normal Spell

Add 1 “Renga” monster with a different Attribute to all monsters you control (min. 1) from your Deck to your hand. You can only activate 1 “Renga Kamachi” per turn.

Renga Shikibu
Continuous Spell

You can reveal 1 “Renga” monster in your hand; Special Summon it. You can only use this effect of "" once per turn. If an Xyz Monster you control would be destroyed, you can destroy this card instead.

Renga Teika
Counter Trap

When your opponent activates a card or effect in response to a monster effect you activated: Reveal 1 "Renga monster in your hand until the End Phase of the next turn; negate that activation, and, if you do, destroy it.

Renga Yosa
Quick-Play Spell

Reveal 1 “Renga” monster in your hand: Special Summon 1 “Renga” monster with the same Level as that monster from your Deck. You can banish this card and 1 “Renga” monster from your Graveyard; set 1 “Renga” Spell/Trap card from your Deck. You can only use 1 effect of “Renga Yosa” per turn, and only once that turn.

[spoiler=Prompt]連歌 (Renga)

Level 5 Spellcaster-Type monsters that can be revealed from the hand to Special Summon other Renga monsters from the hand. When Special Summoned, the Level 5 Rengas have effects gain advantage by adding cards back from the grave, drawing, or destroying the opponent's cards. There are also Level 7 Rengas that add more Rengas to your hand from the Deck. The Xyzs have each require specific Rengas as materials and have effects that complement the effects of the materials (i.e. mills if the material recycles from the grave). The Spells and Traps have different effects depending on the number of Rengas on the field.

Names are based of various types of Japanese Poetry and Poets. CnC?

So looking at this deck, it feels like it’s taking a more archetypal approach to the effect of Blue-Eyes Alternative White Dragon, which I like.

Renga Kanshi: Draw 1, pretty simple, but effective, as this deck will probably want a lot of cards in the hand.

Renga Choka: Nice effect upon being summoned. Help recover resources and makes it more likely for you to make another summon to go into Xyz monsters.

Renga Tanka: So like Kanshi except it helps recovers resources. I definitely see the point of it though, this works as a much better defensive wall, and another card to help promote your draw engine is good (though I’d seriously raise that defense to 2800 so Monarchs can’t walk all over it).

Renga Uta: That destruction is non-targeting, but I’d honestly say it’s fine since it’s only destruction, and you balanced it with the weaker statline. However, the fact that you don’t specify “When this card is Special Summoned from your hand by it’s own effect” opens up a lot of shenanigans, especially in Pendulum decks, so I’d fix that.

Renga Hokku: Honestly, for an easy 3k wall (which is better than a 3k beatstick imo because Dark Destroyer can’t crash into it), and addition of more Renga monsters to the hand for summoning, I feel like it might be a good idea to give this card a small drawback. Like maybe it has to be two “Renga” monsters, or you have to reveal a level 7 “Renga” monster alongside it.

Renga Haikai: (Insert similar rant on possible restriction here). Actually nevermind, for a 2700 beatstick, it’s not too impressive, so it could possibly get away with it, though I still think Hokku really could still use it. Anyway, as a high level searcher it’s restriction and capabilities are well thought out. Good stuff.

Renga Haiku: Pretty decent searcher, and since you have a to reveal a “Renga” monster for its summon, that’s the monster you could choose, since it’s basically dead in the hand otherwise.

Renga Imanazi: Honestly, that Xyz effect is kind of weak. Seeing as the effect could have Solemn Strike chained to it. I’d honestly just make it a continuous effect once it’s summoned, and have it stick to gaining effect based on the Xyz Material attached to it. This card is really convincing me that “Kanshi” is the one you most want to play first turn, as this card is basically your searcher for your stronger “Renga” monsters. “Uta” would definitely be a second pick with how prevalent Kozmos and BA are. “Tanka” and “Choka’s” effects aren’t nothing to scoff at though, and makes this card very useful as tech.

Renga Iganazi: The Xyz material detaching effect is better, but still unnecessary in my mind, just a continuous effect would be fine enough. So if “Hokku” is on it, it helps recover resources for more summonings, which is nice, thought you forgot to specify if it was a “Renga” monster or a “Renga” card. Honestly, as this is a Rank 7, requiring specific materials, I think you could make “Haikai’s” effect such that if it mills any “Renga” card it is added to your hand. “Haiku’s” effect seems a bit weak, but it’s honestly fine enough as is, especially if you have “Hokku” attached as a material. Also, you accidentally misspelled “Renga” as “Renka”.

Renga Kamachi: A “Hieratic Seal of Convocation” with a reasonable restriction. Honestly, I think you might be fine giving it a small Graveyard effect because of that restriction.

Renga Shikibu: I’m honestly not sure if you should put a HOPT on this. I’m leaning toward yes though, as with 4 “Renga” monsters in the hand, it’d allow you to get 3 to the field. Though as these monsters aren’t the greatest of powerhouses it seems it’d be fine, just worrying about what might happen if you get more. The activation cost is nice, since this is actually a pretty powerful continuous spell, and the protection of Xyz monsters is very much appreciated.

Renga Teika: Honestly that cost seems to harsh for what’s essentially an archetype specific “Dark Bribe”. You could make it like this archetype’s version of “Hieratic Seal of Reflection”. It can negate any card effect, but you have to reveal a “Renga” card from your hand until the End Phase of the next turn, so no matter whose turn it is, you’ll not be able to play that card.

Renga Yosa: Nice, this allows you to summon two “Renga” monsters, even if you only have 3 in the hand, so you can still make an Xyz Summon. I’m glad you put a HOPT that makes it so the effects have to be activated on separate turns, as your Shikibu is pretty powerful.

Overall:

This was an interesting idea to build an archetype around. A bit simplistic and seeming to lack in a win condition, I still think I’d have fun messing around with it though. I don’t have much to say on the Rank 5 toolbox, as I don’t use it that much, but the Rank 7 toolbox is pretty good, and it’s nice that this archetype gets access to it. I might suggest you give it another Rank 5 Xyz, that has an effect if “Uta” is attached to allow it to do some non-targeting removal by revealing “Renga” monsters from the hand. This would fit in with her effect nicely. Just a small suggestion as this archetype seems a bit lacking in stronger removal cards, which is very important in today’s meta. That, or maybe make a stronger Xyz monsters that requires 3 Level 7's that'll get buffed depending on what's attached to it. Anyway, good job on this one, I look forward to the next archetype you do.

Thanks for the advice! Made changes to the Xyzs, the 3k wall, and as for Uta, well, the rest of the cards do have "When this card is Special Summoned" so it is actually MORE restricted!

True, but Pendulums could tech it in their decks, and summon it last, so that it can still use its effect.

Archived