Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

chairman ali

I thought it had some good ideas, but execution ultimately felt a little lacking. I think it's best seen as a play, performed live in front of you rather than reading the script. There were lines that I sensed would have had me laughing if it was delivered with snappy, comedic timing. And some of the dialogue, the way characters expressed themselves emotionally, I feel like they would have been done differently/better if it weren't in the form of a play.

[spoiler=What I liked]

I liked that Albus was Slytherin, going for something different. And that he and Scorpius were buds.

I also really liked Scorpius' character and how he was kind of a good-hearted dork. Very different from his father and other Slytherins, I liked the contrast the two boys had from their dads. Though I wish they had some other friends.

Hermione being the Minister's really cool.

While I felt the whole premise of them going back in time to save Cedric and doing other things was silly, I got a kick out of the AUs. Hermione being a badass in one reality, Ron being a weird stuffy guy married to Padma in the other (reminded me of my uncle).

[spoiler=What I didn't]

Delphi being Voldemort and Bellatrix's daughter was straight out of a fanfic, like really. 

Felt unnatural that the kids knew that much about their fathers' pasts, like down to the nitty-gritty. This was where I felt it being a play was on the downside. I doubt they'd learn stuff like how Hermione was supposed to go to the ball with Krum and that she and Ron had a spat and their other high school drama. I don't know about any of that crap with my parents at least.

A lot of the characterization. I do get that they're older and will have changed since they were younger, but I don't ever see Harry saying something that mean to his kid, like ever. And everything with Snape felt...off. The whole dark AU felt pretty fanficky.

I thought it had some good ideas, but execution ultimately felt a little lacking. I think it's best seen as a play, performed live in front of you rather than reading the script. There were lines that I sensed would have had me laughing if it was delivered with snappy, comedic timing. And some of the dialogue, the way characters expressed themselves emotionally, I feel like they would have been done differently/better if it weren't in the form of a play.

[spoiler=What I liked]

I liked that Albus was Slytherin, going for something different. And that he and Scorpius were buds.

I also really liked Scorpius' character and how he was kind of a good-hearted dork. Very different from his father and other Slytherins, I liked the contrast the two boys had from their dads. Though I wish they had some other friends.

Hermione being the Minister's really cool.

While I felt the whole premise of them going back in time to save Cedric and doing other things was silly, I got a kick out of the AUs. Hermione being a badass in one reality, Ron being a weird stuffy guy married to Padma in the other (reminded me of my uncle).

[spoiler=What I didn't]

Delphi being Voldemort and Bellatrix's daughter was straight out of a fanfic, like really.

Felt unnatural that the kids knew that much about their fathers' pasts, like down to the nitty-gritty. This was where I felt it being a play was on the downside. I doubt they'd learn stuff like how Hermione was supposed to go to the ball with Krum and that she and Ron had a spat and their other high school drama. I don't know about any of that crap with my parents at least.

A lot of the characterization. I do get that they're older and will have changed since they were younger, but I don't ever see Harry saying something that mean to his kid, like ever. And everything with Snape felt...off. The whole dark AU felt pretty fanficky.

It's heavily forshadowed

[spoiler=augery]

You ever notice how Bellatrix Lestrange is not there when Snape kills Dumbledore on the tower (in the book, anyways)? Why wouldn’t Voldemort’s most dangerous lieutenant, and Draco’s aunt be there? At the beginning of HBP, Bellatrix says something strange… “If I had sons, I would be glad to give them up to the service of the Dark Lord!” Notice how she said sons, not a son.

In DH, it says 3 times that Bellatrix talked to Voldemort as a lover and her death is the only time Voldemort is upset at someone’s death.

My theory is Bellatrix was pregnant at the beginning of HBP when they saw Snape with Voldermort’s child. She is thinking of the future and says sons instead of son because she already has one on the way. She is missing from the battle because she is off giving birth to Voldemort’s child. She changes how she speaks to him after OOTP and Rowling even tells us how. And it’s why Voldemort insists on Bellatrix getting rid of Nymphadora and keeping her family tree pruned. Therefore, I think the cursed child is Bellatrix’s child with Voldemort. And that the plot will be if a child is born bad because of their parents or if the child has a chance to be good despite.

Archived