The Purge

Ryusei the Morning Star

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So in the Philippines there is a president who seems to be on a giant killing spree of criminals? Yeah thats a terribly flawed idea. Ignoring the fact that this very highly goes against the standard of human rights what happens if a person gets killed without being a criminal? Like I mean there have been times where people have been proven innocent after they become criminalized.

So in the Philippines there is a president who seems to be on a giant killing spree of criminals? Yeah thats a terribly flawed idea. Ignoring the fact that this very highly goes against the standard of human rights what happens if a person gets killed without being a criminal? Like I mean there have been times where people have been proven innocent after they become criminalized.

Criminals are scared shitless and turning themselves in. It doesn't get better than that

O.o This guy doesn't play around. However, he is by no means a good person. I'd consider him Lawful Evil.

No, he's as much of a criminal as the criminals he is claiming are evil and are threatening and/or killing. Criminal or otherwise, lethal force does not equate to a good justice system. In the end, violence only breeds more violence. I think it's very narrow minded of you to think such a thing is not questionable, if not morally correct. Depending on the crime, rehabilitation is a more suitable alternative than using prison as a punishment. To resort to force to solve your problems is flawed at best, barbaric at worst.

No, he's as much of a criminal as the criminals he is claiming are evil and are threatening and/or killing. Criminal or otherwise, lethal force does not equate to a good justice system. In the end, violence only breeds more violence. I think it's very narrow minded of you to think such a thing is not questionable, if not morally correct. Depending on the crime, rehabilitation is a more suitable alternative than using prison as a punishment. To resort to force to solve your problems is flawed at best, barbaric at worst.

How do you explain the approval rating, the drop in crime, and the criminals turning themselves in?

How do you explain the approval rating, the drop in crime, and the criminals turning themselves in?

Okay, let's say the government starts killing criminals. Okay, what's a criminal? Murders? Okay. Now, what about people with a negative opinion of the government? Are they now a criminal? It'd be awfully convenient if they were branded revolutionaries and disturbing national peace so they can be "lawfully" dealt with. I mean, Death Note almost perfectly sums up what happens when you get someone who wants to kill all criminals. "Bringing criminals to justice" quickly becomes "Kill anyone who doesn't agree with me".

I mean, the Death Penalty in itself is ass backwards and ultimately pointless even in situations where it could be considered "acceptable"

How long has it been going on?

A while, he's not exactly a dark horse. 

Okay, let's say the government starts killing criminals. Okay, what's a criminal? Murders? Okay. Now, what about people with a negative opinion of the government? Are they now a criminal? It'd be awfully convenient if they were branded revolutionaries and disturbing national peace so they can be "lawfully" dealt with. I mean, Death Note almost perfectly sums up what happens when you get someone who wants to kill all criminals. "Bringing criminals to justice" quickly becomes "Kill anyone who doesn't agree with me".

I mean, the Death Penalty in itself is ass backwards and ultimately pointless even in situations where it could be considered "acceptable"

I'm no fan of the Death Penalty in the US. But this is basically Batman. You need to create something that scares criminals beyond the police. So the police look like a "lesser" evil in the criminals eyes. The number of people executed is actually dropping from the stats I'm seeing. Better to be in jail than in 3 pieces on the road

Death penalty doesn't work in the US cause we do everything for sedatives to injects...that doesn't really inspire fear. Also you can appeal for like 30 years here. It's not the same

@Jord results speak lol

Well I was a bit confused by what the article said. It didn't give exact number but it seems he's been doing this for 6 weeks? If that's the case, then the results could just be a result of the short time frame. It's easy for something to seem like it's working after a couple months.

It could easily turn around in another couple months. And if it does, then suddenly this first two months of success just seems like brutality that didn't amount to much.

Criminals are scared shitless and turning themselves in. It doesn't get better than that

Yeah and this also is morally wrong, could lead to innocent lives being taken by accident, and many other things. Doesnt matter if something is bringing in results if its following an something thats wrong on a fundamental level. Criminals are still people, criminals should have second chances, and once again certain times people can be proven innocent after being criminalized. Criminals arent always total monsters of society, situations can happen that turn for the worse.

Well I was a bit confused by what the article said. It didn't give exact number but it seems he's been doing this for 6 weeks? If that's the case, then the results could just be a result of the short time frame. It's easy for something to seem like it's working after a couple months.

It could easily turn around in another couple months. And if it does, then suddenly this first two months of success just seems like brutality that didn't amount to much.

Yeah, well I'd like to make it clear I don't endorse or think we should do this. But given the logistical impossibilities of the purge (movie), I was quite intrigued to find a real life version of it working to a degree

He was a major mayor before he became president and operated on the same law and order type argument. That's what I meant by he's been doing this for a while. 

Yeah and this also is morally wrong, could lead to innocent lives being taken by accident, and many other things. Doesnt matter if something is bringing in results if its following an something thats wrong on a fundamental level. Criminals are still people, criminals should have second chances, and once again certain times people can be proven innocent after being criminalized. Criminals arent always total monsters of society, situations can happen that turn for the worse.

He's mainly going after Drug Traffickers, I don't know if you know about what Opium did to India and China. They lost entire generations. Think of it this way, the vigilantist forces are basically wiping out cartels 

Morals are an entirely subjective mesure. When you weigh an entire generation of opium addicts vs tracking down the drug dealers...it's not as easy of a decision. For the greater good sacrifices must be made right? 

It's unfortunate that they're killing the people instead of just capturing them. But it's not too hard to understand WHY they're so passionate about cleansing out this in that region 

Yeah, well I'd like to make it clear I don't endorse or think we should do this. But given the logistical impossibilities of the purge (movie), I was quite intrigued to find a real life version of it working to a degree

He was a major mayor before he became president and operated on the same law and order type argument. That's what I meant by he's been doing this for a while. 

He's mainly going after Drug Traffickers, I don't know if you know about what Opium did to India and China. They lost entire generations. Think of it this way, the vigilantist forces are basically wiping out cartels 

Morals are an entirely subjective mesure. When you weigh an entire generation of opium addicts vs tracking down the drug dealers...it's not as easy of a decision. For the greater good sacrifices must be made right? 

Well at first I honestly thought you were endorsing it and that this was just being applied to the entirety of criminals. I still dont like this one bit at all but it is better to hear that this is only being applied to a certain few criminals and not everyone whos suspected of any little thing.

Well at first I honestly thought you were endorsing it and that this was just being applied to the entirety of criminals. I still dont like this one bit at all but it is better to hear that this is only being applied to a certain few criminals and not everyone whos suspected of any little thing.

I would be more inclined to endorse it if they had a no-kill policy like Batman. Which they don't. The last admin has a terrible problem with Drugs, that's why this guy landslided in the election and has such a high approval rating. Common people and victims of the drug trade (which he claims also bleeds into human trafficking)

He's pretty much just doing the people's will

There must be a better way to crack down on drugs than what looks like straight-up murder. Duterte's a thug who has no business running a country and once again people are idiots and support whoever panders to them most regardless of the facts.

Thats why I label him as lawful evil......

Is this fascinating? Absolutely. It's a psychological horror movie playing out right before my eyes, in reality, that could really happen to me.

Is this valid? Not even close. Several other posters explained the exact same thing, but basically, guy gets power, guy abuses power to hold his opinions supreme, unjust excecutions, etcetera.

Hoping this philosophy doesn't spread, because if it does, we're funked. Rip opinions.

But I'm biased because I would be an easy target. Guessing this guy isn't particularly nice to LGBT affiliates, given the whole radical approaches deal.

Is this fascinating? Absolutely. It's a psychological horror movie playing out right before my eyes, in reality, that could really happen to me.

Is this valid? Not even close. Several other posters explained the exact same thing, but basically, guy gets power, guy abuses power to hold his opinions supreme, unjust excecutions, etcetera.

Hoping this philosophy doesn't spread, because if it does, we're funked. Rip opinions.

But I'm biased because I would be an easy target. Guessing this guy isn't particularly nice to LGBT affiliates, given the whole radical approaches deal.

Except he man has done more to decrease drug and human trafficking in 6 weeks than the rest of Asia has done in decades.

Results speak. And ends justify the means in his eyes probs

It's funny that while we're both LGBT, we have radically different ideas on what's dangerous to us and not

Results speak?

RESULTS SPEAK?!

That is your justification for this?! While they are criminals, they are still just as human as we are!

Jord. Stop. This is debates, and this is super close to spam.

You can see where he's coming from by reading his posts, and that's not all he's saying, you already expressed this opinion, reiterating it is pointless.

Results speak?

RESULTS SPEAK?!

That is your justification for this?! While they are criminals, they are still just as human as we are!

Well yes, Drug and Human trafficking rates are at a record low, and both critics and supporters admit that much.

When you sell Heroin to a 14 year old and sell a 12 year olds vagina to make money. Don't expect pity for me

Now Cow Cow is right, this might be a short term deal, that's what I'm watching for. If he sustains this long term. There may be lessons to take from it. And I already said I dislike the killing and would prefer it that they just roughed them up and jailed the criminals

I like how "results speak" is a justifiable means.  That, I find ironic.  Because you know what Daesh says?  Results speak.  They too are successful at what they're doing.  And a lot of people love them for it.  But moral's are subjective right?

I guess you could say Hitler thought "Hey!  Results speak!"  I mean, he killed twelve million people for his ideals before he was brought down by us.  He was successful.  And a lot of people loved him for it.  But moral's are subjective, right?

The crime rate drop is great.  It's good for the community.  It's good for the citizens.  But fear tactics shouldn't have to be the way to get your country in order.  He's not a fit leader, and he's a sick person.

Archived