Earth defence force (4.1 the shadow of new despair)

vla1ne

~To save our mother earth from any alien attack!~

~From vicious giant insects who have once again come back!~

~We'll unleash all our forces we won't cut them any slack!~

~THE EDF DEPLOOOYS!~

ok, not really a new game, but since it now has an official steam release, i believe this would be a decent time to post something about it. so to give you the relative gist of the game, you are a soldier, in one of four changeable classes, fighting an army of giant insects and robots, your mission is simple, kill anything and everything onscreen that isn't an ally (kill them too if it makes you feel any better though). that's the goal of each mission, and the premise of the entire game, the earth is being invaded by aliens known as ravagers, and you have to kill all of them before they manage to kill you. the game's basically a love letter to every sci-fi B-movie ever, but i"m sure you're all sick of reading about it at this point, and just want to see some of the gameplay, so here:

the game is simple, but has a dept to it that makes practically every mission repeatable for days on end, the enemies are not only varied, but numerous, to such an extent that you truly will feel as if it is you against an entire army, which you essentially are. the weapons you can get grow better the higher the level/difficulty as well, there are more unique weapons in this game than in pretty much any other game i've ever seen, over 700 weapons, some of them are trash, others, unparalleled in their brokenness, many better for co-op than single player, all of them fun to take on missions, with varying degrees of practicality. it's an amazing game, and with it's debut on steam, i expect to see some amazing new mods by the fans coming out shortly.

the game's relatively cheap on ps4 as well, 39 bucks last i checked, and still more fun than no man's sky. is it a game for everybody? no, some of you might hate it from the moment you pick up the controller, but for those who find the simple joys to be worth having, killing bugs with hundreds of weapons, each more absurd than the last, the B-movie charm that EDF pulls of incredibly well, the sheen number of enemies to unload your arsenal upon, the glitches that make the game even more fun (provided it's not the mass explosives in a cave glitch), and many other factors, this game is sure to entertain you for months, if not years to come. it's even better in 2 player multiplayer, or online (even though the ps4 version requires PS+) it's a game made for fans of fun,

I've always wanted to get into EDF, especially since Vita has a few of its titles on or something. Still haven't, but a steam release makes it even easier. I used to browse a certain Vita appreciation place or something along those lines and the few anonymous people who played EDF together seemed like they were having a lot of fun.

Just to confirm, I don't need to constantly be connected to the internet to play this, right? I'm gonna need to stockpile on offline games for later soon enough and if this one can keep me occupied for a long time that'd really put it high in my priority list.

>still more fun than no man's sky

wew lad, sick burn

I've always wanted to get into EDF, especially since Vita has a few of its titles on or something. Still haven't, but a steam release makes it even easier. I used to browse a certain Vita appreciation place or something along those lines and the few anonymous people who played EDF together seemed like they were having a lot of fun.

Just to confirm, I don't need to constantly be connected to the internet to play this, right? I'm gonna need to stockpile on offline games for later soon enough and if this one can keep me occupied for a long time that'd really put it high in my priority list.

>still more fun than no man's sky

wew lad, sick burn

it's worth it, i bought the PS3 version and was hooked on it for almost a whole year, then bought the PS4 title and got hooked again

honestly, i didn't even realize the game had online when i first bought the P3 version, at least not until i beat the main missions and ran through a couple missions alternating classes. the online's fun, and the enemies are harder there (more HP, and a few new missions that don't appear offline) but you can go for split screen and solo offline, i've never bought PS+, as i've mentioned in the OP, and i still put more hours into this game total than practically any other game over 200 hours on the P3 version, and coming close to that on the P4 edition. (my record gaming time is 1000+ hours on phantasy star portable 2, but that's another game entirely)

sick burn, but legit claim. this game makes no false promises, what it tells you is exactly what you get, and thanks to the low price, and low (overall) hype surrounding it, there's no unrealistic expectations weighing it down. you use a myriaid of weapons to shoot and kill bugs, and you fight enough enemies and destroy enough environments to slow down the PS4 framerate. this isn't some mega title with hundreds of extra features, it's just a fun game with a low price tag, solid core gameplay, and high replay value.

Archived