An idea I may implement: YGO fanfic with actual cards

EndUser

This is the 1st story I ever thought of writing. :)

So far, all I have in mind is the general plot and the main character's deck (and an idea of how it will be improving).

[spoiler=Here is the plot: ]

-------------------------------------------

A teenager (boy/girl) (let’s name it Alex for now) has just graduated from uni and currently looks for a chance to start working, to cover his needs. Not exactly daring, but he’s not afraid of challenges (esp. if they’re of great importance).

He has confidence with his deck, but he’s not well-known in the town. This, however, is about to change with his friends’ help, but also due to the extraordinary challenges that they all are about to face.

It all starts in a regular day when, for some reason, a weird electromagnetic pulse “hits” surges through the entire country, maybe the surrounding countries too. Nothing out of the ordinary, except that: All guns are damaged (i.e. no opposition from the army or the police), communication with other countries is hardly possible and Duel Disks inflict actual damage* to those who lose a duel. Not only these, but strange people appear out of nowhere, haunting their preys and dueling for sickening reasons. Duel Disks are their best weapon, since not all people are familiar with holograms, thus been terrified by them.

With whatever means they can, alongside with everyone that could hold a Duel Disk, Alex and his friends try to take matters into their own hands.

* The damage inflicted may include pain to their hands, mild electroshocks, actual feel of the holograms’ moves (air waves etc), or something else.

-------------------------------------------

[spoiler=Some notes: ]

This is my first basic scenario. If I find (or hear) something more interesting, I’ll change a few things. Even if not, I may add something extraordinary to make the current plot more interesting.

The decks used will vary. They won't necessarily be very strong, but for the sake of the story I may twitch things here and there.

The story will probably have many cliche’ or non-futuristic things. It’s not intended to be a masterpiece; just something I wanted to write (IF I write it).

Finally, about the cards: I’ll remain faith to the existing cards, as well as to Anime cards (but at a lesser grade). I’ll inform appropriately if I make use of any custom card(s). Oh and: People’s decks won’t be masterpieces right off the bat but instead, they’ll be delevoping with time and practice.

Too cliche' / uninteresting, or can it have potential?

Anything you want to suggest or say your opinion?

I'm not sure. Maybe make some events destiny-driven or add an ability the main boss or their disciples (or even the good guys) have or something from the inner Earth or the outer space or time-travlling would be a thing?

And what could be a good "mature" thing to add? Something taken from real life, perhaps?

A few mature/otherwise unused themes that could shake up a ygo fanfic:

• Villain Protagonist (Antagonist Perspective?).
  • Betrayal, which is not only revealed but actually started during the narrative (so no Vector/Nash stuff) that doesn't get forgiven (No Mai stuff).
  • Suicide to make monsters real/more powerful (A bit like the Earthbound Immortals but even further).
  • Universe-alteration mid-series.
  • Magic trials to earn "new" decks for the main cast to justify evolving characters and their cards. (Ancient Gears -> Qli, Noble Knights -> Igknights, Gishki -> Nekroz, to name a few ideas)
  • Strong female protagonist (Arc-V did pretty well but there's still room to improve).
  • Competence and skilled dueling only to be met with crushing defeat regardless (At one or more points).

A few mature/otherwise unused themes that could shake up a ygo fanfic:

• Villain Protagonist (Antagonist Perspective?).
  • Betrayal, which is not only revealed but actually started during the narrative (so no Vector/Nash stuff) that doesn't get forgiven (No Mai stuff).
  • Suicide to make monsters real/more powerful (A bit like the Earthbound Immortals but even further).
  • Universe-alteration mid-series.
  • Magic trials to earn "new" decks for the main cast to justify evolving characters and their cards. (Ancient Gears -> Qli, Noble Knights -> Igknights, Gishki -> Nekroz, to name a few ideas)
  • Strong female protagonist (Arc-V did pretty well but there's still room to improve).
  • Competence and skilled dueling only to be met with crushing defeat regardless (At one or more points).

I think I could go with the bolded choices. 

- The way the characters will evolve will be through theirs duels with the enemies (and with each other) and the need to adapt to mechanics different to their decks' playstyle in order to succeed. For example, a Gem-Knight deck can start very gimmicky but will eventually evolve in various ways (most noticeably, by progressively obtaining the newer & more powerful Gem-Knight cards or using the Xyz mechanic, like with the case of "Gem-Knight Pearl").

Some decks will evolve the way you suggested (e.g. Gishki -> Nekroz). Others will only evolve by themselves. I'm not sure how will the main character's deck evolve. Hopefully, it won't be boring if I choose that it evolves by itself.

- Not sure if the protagonist wil be female (because I'm generally more comfortable with male characters). However, I can try to make the main enemy and/or their "army" being female. Certainly, some of the protagonist's friends will be female.

- A crushing defeat, hm... I'd need to come up with something crazy. I like it, but I have no idea if I implement it.

Maybe betrayal/death/romance?

I'll try to add a little romance and/or hatred, but nothing too excessive. 

I like the idea, though if I could make one minor adjustment....

"It all starts in a regular day when, for some reason, a weird electromagnetic pulse surges through the entire... city. Strange duelists, vicious monsters, horrifying holograms, and even friendly duel monster spirits pop up all around town, causing trouble, attacking people, and other such things. It's up to our protagonist and his friends to take up their Duel Disks, arm the masses, fight the villains, face the monsters, and turn back the tide.

BUT! One last thing. The [united States?] military has been keeping their eye on the CityTown City situation ever since it first began. The monsters seem impervious to regular firepower, and if left alone they could spread to the entire western coast. If nothing can be done to contain the situation in 7 days the military will detonate a nuclear device, vaporizing the entire town."

Limits the scope so it's more focused and it raises the stakes by giving you a ticking clock. Also it gives us the option of the super-edgy "Mature" Ending where the protagonist and his friends all survive, but everyone else dies.

Uhh...

I don't know if I can handle too many changes O_o

I don't want the monsters to be impervious to regular firepower (being holograms and causing fear and chaos is just fine) BUT I may add 1 or more countries' interference (without the time limit, unless it's unavoidable). However, this would mean they would come fiercely and the enemy should defend as much, so I'm not sure how will I add it to the plot.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sorry people, but being a month later & not being able to spend time to it, it looks a lot harder to actually make the story.
I'm willing to let it to anyone who may be interested to implement it, but what I want in exchange is at least a little credit and... I don't know what else.

Of course, since there have been made suggestions which I didn't add to the main plot, the one who'll take over can apply them (or whatever he/she finds suitable), but don't make it too different from the original idea.

That's all. You may ask me for stuff if you need to know something else.

If you want something mature, force the protag into moral situations that they can't god mode their way out of.

Ex: Winning a duel means stopping bad guy's plan of killing thousands of people with his megaboss monster, but a handful of hostages will die if bad guy's LP hit 0 because LP counter is linked to a bomb/poison gas. The protag has to decide whether to save the few or the many. And protag CAN'T scream about friendship and god mode into saving both, so people will die regardless of who he chooses, and he'll have to deal with the fact he choose the fates of a group of people over another, and the fallout from those victim's loved ones.

Lol, why? You dropped the project entirely.

Technically yes, I did drop it. However, I didn't say that it's ultimate; just that it will be ok if someone else goes on with it (the chances of me doing it are very little).

I guess since there were about to be made many changes anyway , then ok; your question probably makes sense.

Archived