[Leaderboard] Season 14 Postseason (Match 3-2) [BRONZE]

Flash Flyer - Sakura

General stuff

- Whoever gets 3 votes or the one with the most votes by 9/2/2016 @ 9 am HST wins

- Voters must elaborate on their votes

- Participants or I reserve the right to contest/reject your votes if deemed necessary

- All voters will be given reps for accepted votes.

Theme

Make a "Majespecter" monster

Card A

Majespecter Serpent - Mizuchi
Level 4 | WIND | Spellcaster | Pendulum | Effect
Scale 2

2000/0
PE: N/A
ME: When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can place up to 2 "Majespecter" Pendulum Monsters from your Deck in your Pendulum Zone(s). You cannot Summon any monsters, except "Majespecter" monsters, during the turn you activate this effect. You can only use this effect of "Majespecter Serpent - Mizuchi" once per turn. Cannot be targeted or destroyed by your opponent's card effects.

Card B

Majespecter Orochi

WIND | Level 8 | Spellcaster | Pendulum | Effect

Scale 2

2500/2500

PE: N/A

ME: Twice per turn: You can Tribute 1 Pendulum Monster you control to target 1 card your opponent controls; destroy that target. Cannot be targeted or destroyed by your opponent's card effects.

-----

Alright, go and vote, guys.

Whoever wins this gets the bronze medal.

Card B is extremely weak when compared to Kirin. Not only is a Level 8, requiring a scale of 9 in order to Pendulum Summon, and not only does it tribute, placing the monsters face-up in the extra deck so that you don't have the opportunity to activate it as a scale or do something with it in your hand, but it uses destructive removal, one of the weakest forms of removal in today's meta. Destruction protection is a big thing, along with effects that activate in the Graveyard, and if there's one thing ED monsters hate is returning to the Extra Deck. The twice per turn thing is something, I guess, but it's not even better than Kirin. Even to Normal Summon it, you need two tributes. So I feel this card does too little. Also, name thing is done differently to the other 'specters. Something small, but yeah.

Card A I also dislike, on the account of being too strong. I mean, Majespecters tend to have lower than "good" stats, as they have their targeting and destruction protection, so 2000 ATK along with that is big. And it has an extra effect, fabulous. Basically, you normal Summon this extremely hard to deal with beater, and then you get to Pendulum Summon no matter what your previous field status? That's a bit too much.

I vote for Card C for now, due to them being too strong and too weak respectively, but if a tie breaker comes around, I think I'll vote for A as I find it less "good" than B is "bad".

Well here we go. I will quote myself from the other topic with "Majespecter" as requirement because what I said back then applies to this aswell. In the other topic, I started my review by stating that the only way of making another card for this Archetype without breaking flavor would be to make another boss, and later down my post I renewed that statement to mention that a monster that directly sets scales would also be possible. Well here we go with both!

Card A is a Level 4 with 2000 attack that - wait let's pause here. The only monsters that get away with having 2000 ATK without having some kind of attack drawback or general drawback are Vanillas - so its ATK is far too high for having an effect that good, let alone even protection. (You can compare it to Gogogo Giant; it has 2000 ATK and does something, but even that has an attack drawback!) With that out of the way, the Scale, Name and Effect Flavor fits, but the second gripe I have with it is that its effect is WAY over the top. Just Summoning it gives you a full scale at absolutely no cost, since in a Majespecter deck, you will mostly not want to summon anything but Majespecter since you can use only these with your Spells and Traps. (Or WIND Spellcasters but that's basically the same thing) And yeah, as I already mentioned, protection with 2000 ATK is a lot for a Normal Summon already, so it's too broken on my watch. One-Card-Scale is a no-no anyway, see Pendulum Call / Monkeyboard. 

Card B is a second boss for the archetype with Level 8, so you cannot Pendulum Summon it in Majespecters if you run them pure. Seems like a giant oversight to me, but I'll go on. Its name doesn't work with the rest of the Specters, and it just feels very very weak overall. Of course, 2500 Attack with protection from targeting and destruction is very good, but considering that you have to tribute 2 monsters for it and then tribute even more monsters for its effect just makes it seem very bad. The fact that it isn't usable during either player's turn makes it even worse compared to Unicorn, because that can interrupt effects and is easier to summon. You need your scale set up, 2 tributes and another monster to tribute for its effect (at least 1) so you need a setup of 5 cards to summon it and use its effect once and a setup of 6 cards to use it twice, and additionally to that, you won't see the cards you tributed for another turn so you can't use them for your Spell/Traps during the opponents turn.

TLDR; agree with Dova (hope this doesn't seem like a ripoff, I made my own thoughts here), vote for Card C.

Edit: If I have to vote for one I choose Card B; because I rather have underpowered cards than overpowered ones. Personal preference, not much separating these two quality-wise anyway.

Card A is pretty broken with its effect lmao. ATK is way too high for a Majespecter as well.

Card B is awkwardly underpowered with a name that doesn't even fit with the archetype. Not only that, you'll need Scale 9 cards for this card to even be PSed.

Voting for C for obvious reasons.

Elaboration: Imo both cards suck imo so imo I feel like card C imo should gets the vote imo

I know the contest says it'd end at 9 am my time today (and it's past 2 pm now), but at the time, I had no break to actually close this, or to vote properly (due to triple classes in a row).

---

Card A offers Majespecters something they'd appreciate (setting their Scales), but what I don't really like is its high ATK. Yeah, one of their problems is their relatively low power compared to other monsters of equivalent Level, but this one is effectively a 20/0 monster without notable drawbacks. Sure, you can't summon non-Majespecter stuff on that turn, but most of the time, that restriction is moot (unless you run the Magician engine that a few variants use; I technically use a pure version with Eccentrick for Kirin PSing). Granted, it would definitely warrant a slot somewhere, but it's too strong for what it does. Maybe if it were half its ATK or something, we wouldn't have the power issue stat-wise, but yeah you're giving us a monster that can enable their Scales out of nowhere. (Monkeyboard did get itself banned this week for doing a lighter version of this card's effect, and yes Pendulum Call)

Card B is pretty much going to require Tribute Summoning, as no generic Scale 9 exists (outside of the runner-up World Championship prize cards at 10). If this was a Level 7, then you could just use Dragonpit Magician to summon this faster. I mean, you DO have access to Pendulum Shift, but honestly I wouldn't run that card just for the purpose of this. The effect itself is generous and lets you destroy stuff, but unlike Kirin, this isn't as versatile and targeting protection does exist (i.e. on themselves, most common bosses); suppose you can use this to pop backrow as well, but in that situation, I'd rather just MST/Cosmic Cyclone those cards. Naming-wise, it is out of place [even though it is based on Orochi from the Tale of Jiraiya]; you could've added "Serpent - " and naming would be fine. Granted, it has a sizable body but I don't see 'specters using this at the moment (or really much at all, except for very niche purposes). Yeah, it doesn't specify Majespecter monsters, but I can't find a Deck that can summon this easily, even venturing outside of the Archetype.

-----

As much as it's tempting to vote A due to it actually functioning in 'specters and being more on point with flavor/naming, I cannot disregard how powerful it is (and balance is one of the key factors in here). Card B doesn't do much for the Deck and is unwieldy to handle, but unfortunately, I'll have to vote B here since it is the more balanced of the two, despite its own shortcomings of being gimmicky.

As a result, Tori-kun gets this match, and the bronze medal.

(Even if I didn't put in my own opinions, card B would've still won as SDB did edit his vote slightly)

Archived