New Archetype: Dark Matter Species!

zwataketa1

So hey, it's been a while since I've been here!

I've been known for making joke cards in the past when I was really young and didn't know how to play Yugioh. Now I know how to play, so I've taken a shot at making a brand new archetype based off of one of my favorite villain species in gaming: Kirby's Dark Matter! Let's go through them, shall we?

(Quick note: I'd like to thank Re-Creator for helping me design this archetype.)

DISCLAIMER: I did not make any of the artwork shown in these cards. Now that that's out of the way ...

2f0d8bd.jpg

Level 1, Tuner

"This card cannot be tributed or used as Synchro material, other than for a "DARK Matter" monster. If you control a "DARK Matter" monster other than "DARK Matter - Hireling, NZ" you can Special Summon this card from you hand."

200 ATK, 500 DEF

6eekyg.jpg

Level 4

"If you control "DARK Matter - General, Reaper", "DARK Matter - General, Reaper (Swordsman)" and/or "Zero - Ruler of DARK Matter" and no monsters other than "DARK Matter" monsters, you can Special Summon this card from your hand."

1600 ATK, 1600 DEF

(I want to find a better picture for this one.)

8zij5h.jpg

Level 12

"Must be Normal Summoned by Tributing 3 "DARK Matter" monsters, and cannot be Special Summoned. This card's summon cannot be negated. This card cannot be targeted or destroyed by card effects. Once per turn, during either player's turn, you can apply 1 of these effects:
-During your Main Phase, Special Summon 1 "DARK Matter" token (DARK/Fiend-Type/Level 5/ATK 1000/DEF 0).
-When this card is targeted for attack, change the attack target to another "DARK Matter" monster on the field."

4000 ATK, 4000 DEF

(The structure of Zero's name is different for a lore reason, in that his existence is on a whole different scale than the other DARK Matters.)

308un1t.jpg

Level 5

"If you control no monsters, you can Normal Summon this card without tribute. If you control "Zero - Ruler of DARK Matter" while all other monsters you control are "DARK Matter" monsters, you can Special Summon this card from your hand."

2000 ATK, 2000 DEF

(I REALLY want to find a better picture for this one.)

72cbqp.jpg

Level 5

"If you control no monsters, you can Normal Summon this card without tribute. If you control "Zero - Ruler of DARK Matter" while all other monsters you control are "DARK Matter" monsters, you can Special Summon this card from your hand. This card can be Special Summoned by tributing one "DARK Matter - General, Reaper" you control. If you do this, this monster gains 500 ATK."

2300 ATK, 2300 DEF

16a4apl.jpg

Level 5

"1 or more "DARK Matter" Tuner monsters + 1 or more "DARK Matter" monsters
You can Synchro Summon this card using material with a combined Level unequal to this card. This card cannot be destroyed by battle while in defense position. This card's effect is based on the sum of the levels of monsters used to summon it:
-4 or lower: When this card is summoned: shuffle 3 "DARK Matter" cards from your Graveyard into your deck, then draw 2 cards.
-5-6: This card's original ATK and DEF is 2500.
-7 or higher: If this card would be destroyed: destroy all monsters you control, then Special Summon 5 "DARK Matter" tokens to your field (DARK/Fiend-Type/Level 5/ATK 1000/DEF 0). These tokens cannot be destroyed by effects for the rest of the turn."

0 ATK, 0 DEF

(I'd like to thank Re-Creator for helping me make this card.)

2q8d095.jpg

Level 6

"1 DARK Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner Monsters
If this card is Synchro Summoned: Both players excavate 5 cards from their deck. Your opponent must send up to 3 monsters from their excavated cards [min 1 if possible] to the graveyard, then this card gains 300 ATK for each of the opponent's monsters sent by this effect; also you send the same amount of cards to the graveyard. Shuffle the remaining cards into their respective Decks."

1600 ATK, 2500 DEF

11cfqxw.jpg

Level 5

"You can Ritual Summon this card with "DARK Matter - Dimension Mirror". If this attacking card destroys an opponent's monster by battle, after damage calculation: You can reduce this card ATK by 500 until the End phase; It can make a second attack in a row."

2500 ATK, 2000 DEF

1zocjz4.jpg

Level 5

"You can Ritual Summon this card with "DARK Matter - Dimension Mirror". Once per turn you can add 1 "DARK Matter" Spell/Trap card from your Deck to your hand. While you have a face-up "DARK Matter" card in your Spell/Trap Card Zone: this card gains 1000 ATK."

1700 ATK, 2500 ATK

2cdbdc2.jpg

Ritual Spell

"This card can be used to Ritual Summon "DARK Matter - Dark Meta Knight" or "DARK Matter - Shadow Dedede". Tribute monsters from your hand or field, then Ritual Summon 1 "DARK Matter" Ritual Monster from your hand or Graveyard whose Level exactly equals the total Levels of those monsters. Once per turn, if you only control "DARK Matter" monsters: You can banish this card from you graveyard and discard 1 card from your hand; apply 1 of these effects:
-Draw 2 cards. This effect can only be used once per turn.
-This turn you can use "DARK Matter" monsters in your hand for Synchro Summon."

24xdpb4.jpg

Quick-Play

"Activate by discarding 1 "DARK Matter" card while you control only "DARK Matter" monsters. Target up to 2 Spell/Trap cards your opponent controls OR Target 1 monster they control: Destroy it."

14b6u06.jpg

Quick-Play

"Activate while you control only "DARK Matter" monsters. Target 1 monster your opponent controls; equip from your hand or field a "DARK Matter" monster with a equal or higher Level than the opponent's monster's Level/Rank to that monster. While the "DARK Matter" monster is equipped to the opponent's monster, that monster is under your control and is treated as a "DARK Matter" monster. If the equipped monster is removed from the field: you can Special Summon the "DARK Matter" Monster that was equipped to it."

122zsyg.jpg

Field Spell

"When this card is activated: Add 1 "DARK Matter" monster from your Deck to your hand. All "DARK Matter" monsters you control gain 300 ATK. You can send this card to your graveyard: add 1 "Zero - Ruler of DARK Matter" from your graveyard to your hand."

11rcihf.jpg

Continuous Spell

"Once per turn, while you control only "DARK Matter" monsters, you can target one "DARK Matter" monster you control and one in your graveyard: Special Summon the targeted monster from the graveyard, and send the other target back to its owner's hand, also that monster cannot be summoned for the rest of the turn."

ot2bdi.jpg

Counter Trap

"Activate when your opponent activates a card effect that would deal effect damage, or declares an attack with one of their monsters while you control only "DARK Matter" monsters. Negate the effect/attack, and deal direct damage to your opponent equal to the amount of effect damage you would have taken or the attacking monster's current ATK."

I also went ahead and made a basic sample decklist for this archetype ...

Main Deck:
DARK Matter - Hireling, NZ x3
DARK Matter - Hireling, Scout x3
DARK Matter - General, Reaper x1
DARK Matter - General, Reaper (Swordsman) x2
Zero - Ruler of DARK Matter x3

DARK Matter - Dark Meta Knight x1
DARK Matter - Shadow Dedede x2
DARK Matter - Dark Possession x3
DARK Matter - Dark Lightning x2
DARK Matter - Dimension Mirror x3

DARK Matter - Rebirth x2
DARK Matter - Hyper Zone x3
Allure/Veil of Darkness x3
Swords of Revealing Light x1
Pre-Preparation of Rites x2
DARK Matter - Manipulation x3
Call of the Haunted x2

Torrential Tribute x1

Extra Deck:
DARK Matter - Admiral, Necrodeus

DARK Matter - Admiral, Miracle

NZ - Bugs of Dark Matter:  wow that tuner is powerful as hell, which in not in a good way. 3 of these in hand ensuring Rank 1 spam OR you simply control the Swordman or any spam-able level 5 like CyDra for instant Level 6 Synchro  . in particular the Necrodeus (later). there a reason why all self summon tuners like these is either banned, limited or have a rather wonky-level-hard restriction

Necrodeus - Skeletal Admiral of Dark Matter: even with trashy stat this card (again)  IS over-powered. the material is actually quite generic, allowing easy access by any DARK deck. and that effect.... you basically take peek their entire deck via checking, that is big strategical advantage. and ended with 1 big deck milling. sure most deck out there is has Graveyard-based utilities but not meant to be function upon heavy blow like that (unless its infernoid)

Dark Matter Swordsman: ok the stat is quite decent i give you that. but it doesn't have any utility other than making Necrodeus in this deck OR as near irrelevant game pusher along side Zero

Zero - Ruler of Dark Matter: there a ruling in this forum that despite being a legal type, DIVINE Attribute,Divine Beast and Creator God-Typing is Forbidden you must change it to something else. Zero here is surprisingly  underwhelming for Level 12, 5 Tribute monster. its swarm-and-Decoy effect is not that potent in face the likes of Raigeki and Utopia the Lightning, which further overshadowed by heavy restriction and requirement

Dark Meta Knight & Shadow Dedede: same case as Zero, very underwhelming. although to be fair since they kinda low-leveled its more appropriate. but still its just a 2100 and 1700 monster with a wonky-effect. why bother ATK twice if the starting stat is as low as 2100 for -1 investment or possible 2700 stat that ultimately fall to Mirror Forces?

Dimension Mirror:only to summon the above monster and nothing else apparently

Dark Lightning: there already better card for same effect, its called Twin Twister. and it may dump Swordman to be COTH-ed into field to enable NZ for going into Necrodeus or Zero

Dark Possession: quite unique. it can steal anything thats is not XYZ if you used Zero, but that bad investment. a good investment here is to use Necrodeus for this effect to ensure that Necrodeus won't contributing to damage you take

Hyper Zone: well 500 gain is huge enough to boost most of these underwhelming monster into genuine threat, possibly too huge. while adding  Zero to ensure the Deck won't brick much

Okay, I'll make some edits.

[spoiler this is irrelevant now]

For NZ, I'll make it so the effect can only be used once per turn. How would I word that?

I want to keep Necrodeus's basic effect the way it is, but I guess it does need nerfing. What would be a good way to nerf the effect?

I actually made a few changes to Dark Matter Swordsman last night, preventing him from being banished when he uses his effect. In addition, I'm going to make another card that can only be summoned by banishing him from the graveyard (his true form), but I need to find a picture and figure out an effect to give him.

I'll change Zero to a Fiend then. Honestly, I was worried Zero would be TOO overpowered, despite my attempts to keep him balanced. How should I modify it then? I could instead make it so he's unaffected by card effects at all, given he is a "perfect being", but that would also hinder  the controller badly ...

I guess I should give Dark Meta Knight higher original attack then. As for "protection against Mirror Force" I didn't want to make every card in the archetype immune to being destroyed by card effects like Zero, because that would make the whole archetype broken.

For Dark Lightning, I want to keep the general effect the same. How would I make it useful in that case?

"Necrodeus won't be contributing to damage you take ..." What does that mean?

For Hyper Zone, should I change it to 200 ATK then? The main focus of the card IS to get Zero anyway ...

Edit: Made a few changes.

2ev5ilz.jpg

I tried to reword the effect in a way that stated that you can only use NZ's effect once per turn, even if you have multiple copies in your hand.

30b19vc.jpg

I renamed him to Dark Reaper - Dark Matter Swordsman. Also, I removed the part of the effect where he gets banished when he leaves the field after using his effect, as it will help the next NEW monster ...

2vuhw6u.jpg

This is the reason why I removed the banish part of the previous monster's effect. Before you say it, yes, I realize the picture is bad, and I want to change it as soon as I can. As for the effect ... I'm not too happy with it. Can anyone else give me a better idea for an effect that would fit this monster?

su3a.jpg

I changed him to a Fiend-type, and changed his ATK and DEF to 6000. Tell me if that's too much, or if there's something else I can do to make the effect more worthwhile.

ffa2y1.jpg

I increased his original ATK by a lot, and slightly increased the number his effect lowers it to. And something occurred to me: because of the fact that it changes the ATK to the set number when the effect is activated, people might think that means they can get around the opponent trying to lower it. I disagree, because it says LOWER the ATK to 2000. If you can't LOWER it to that, then the effect can't activate.

2ns5enm.jpg

Changed this to a quick-play, and added the effect that you can destroy a monster. Too little? Too much?

2ymvjua.jpg

Changed it so that the ATK increase is 200 points, not 500. Like I said, the main purpose of the card is to get Zero into your hand.

9hme06.jpg

I couldn't think of a way to balance his previous effect, so I decided to find new source material: him eating Kirbies in the final boss battle. Granted, he didn't gain life or attack power when he ate Kirbies in THAT game, but we can bend the rules a bit with that. Hopefully this effect is better balanced than the previous one.

One more card. I tried my hand at making one of the most popular Dark Matter monsters into a card. However ...

1zq8ujd.jpg

... I am not pleased with the result. The text is too small, the effect is very inconsistent and doesn't seem to pay off, and everything about this card just makes me want scream. I want to include Miracle Matter's various forms into it's effect, but I don't know how to do so.

next time when you edit your card don't post the new batch on replies (especially since there also addition to it) also i forgot to mention to always copy paste the effect underneath the cards instead giving an long explanation that gonna exhaust yourself

ok you obviously kinda new the the game, from your take on balancing cards  thats ok you have long way to go. for now we gonna establish things that going on in here to be an proper Archetype.

choosing names: patterning in names are kinda bit important since it determent how searchable a cards in the archetype and how it interact with one another. well we have here a proper theme of Dark Matter is quite a good name although kinda concern me that this archetype gonna accidentally support Galaxy-Eyes Dark Matter Dragon. to differentiated that im going full capital on the "Dark" part.  im also adding the DARK Matter names in to the spell to contribute to consistencies. im also creating a subtype for these cards in their naming like Shadow for Ritual, Admirals for Synchro, Ruler for Zero, and Hireling for the rest

Determent Playstyle: this deck playstyle is allover the place. some do rituals with damage pushing, some do Synchro with tactical Milling, some do Nomis with swarming. yes the Arc V era offer a skillful deck that utilize multiple summons,  but instead of standalone strategy it support one another (l D/D/D its a good example of this). from what i can tell, most of your card is design to dish out huge damage at the time that using level 5 or higher monster (mostly level 5 or 6) it also capable of toolbox for summon level 5 or 6 Synchro and Ritual (we gonna change the meta knight to meet this requirement and boost its power). ok we could use that.

[spoiler=Suggestion]

DARK Matter - Hireling, Miracle:

"-"

it need to be changed, but for now its quite hard to determent it effects without omitting the Dice roll gimmick to fit in with other cards 

DARK Matter - Hireling, Reaper:

Level 5

"if you control only "DARK Matter" Monster, you can Normal Summon this card without Tribute. if you control "DARK Matter - Hireling, Swordman" and/or "DARK Matter - Ruler, Zero" while all other monster you control is "DARK Matter" Monster you can Special Summon this card from your hand"

ATK 2300/ DEF 2300

change the Level to 5 and i give this monster and Swordman its predecessor a complete overhaul of being able to Normal Summoned without Tribute while you control another member (or simply control nothing in case of swordman)  and if you happen to have its pair (Swordman) you can special summon it

DARK Matter - Hireling, NZ:  

"this card cannot be Tributed or use as Material for Summon Monster, other than "DARK Matter Monster. if you control "DARK Matter" Monster other than "DARK Matter - Hireling, NZ" you can Special Summon this card from you hand"

its still restrictive but not as wild as the original or as limited as your changes

DARK Matter - Hireling, Swordman: 

Level 5

"if you control no monster, you can Normal Summon this card without Tribute. if you control "DARK Matter - Hireling, Reaper" and/or "DARK Matter - Ruler, Zero" while all other monster you control is "DARK Matter" Monster you can Special Summon this card from your hand"

ATK 2300/ DEF 2300

*reason stated in Reaper

DARK Matter - Admiral, Necrodeus: 

"if this card is Synchro Summoned: Both player Excavate 5 cards from their deck; you opponent send up to 3 monster from its Excavated cards [Min 2] to Graveyard. then this card gain 300 ATK for each monster your opponent sent by this effect ,also you send the same amount of cards he/she sent to Graveyard. then Shuffle the rest of it respective Decks.

ATK 1600/ DEF 2500

im actually restoring its original effect to its tamer version. allowing me to raise its stat a bit

DARK Matter - Ruler, Zero: 

"Must be Normal Summoned by Tributing 5 "DARK Matter" monster. This card cannot be Special Summoned. This card summon cannot be negated. This card cannot be Targeted or being destroyed by card effects. Once per turn during either player turn, you can apply 1 of these effects: ● Special Summon 1 "DARK Matter" token (DARK/ Fiend-Type/ Level 5/ ATK 1000/ DEF 0). you can only activate and resolve this effect during your Main Phase ● when this card is targeted for attack, you can change the attack target to other "DARK Matter" monster you control

ATK 4000/ DEF 4000

the new stat is forbidden. as the highest official stat from konami is 5000, but i decide to give it 4000 instead for it to be not overbearing. i raise the token levels to 5 to further synergize with Synchro and Ritual summoning going in the deck

DARK Matter - Shadow, Meta Knight:

Level 5

"You can only Ritual Summon this card with "DARK Matter - Dimension Mirror" Ritual Spell Card. If this attacking card destroys an opponent's monster by battle, after damage calculation: You can reduce this card ATK by 500 until the End phase; It can make a second attack in a row.

ATK 2500 / DEF 2500

again i changed it to Level 5 and re-balance its stat.

DARK Matter - Shadow, Dedede:

"You can only Ritual Summon this card with "DARK Matter - Dimension Mirror" Ritual Spell Card. Once per turn you can add 1 "DARK Matter" Spell/Trap card from your Deck to your hand. While you have a "DARK' Matter card placed in other than your Monster Card Zone: this card gain 1000 ATK.

the requirement of adding Axe card is kinda weird and inefficient outside its lores. so im gonna change that to be able to grab any "DARK Matter" Spell/Trap cards

DARK Matter - Dimension Mirror: 

"This card can be used to Ritual Summon any "DARK Matter" Ritual Monster. Tribute monsters from your hand or field, then Ritual Summon 1 "DARK Matter" Ritual Monster from your hand or Graveyard whose Level exactly equals the total Levels of those monsters. once per turn. If you all Monster you control is DARK Matter" monster: You can banish this card from you graveyard and discarding 1 card from your hand ; apply 1 of these effect: ● Draw 2 cards ● this turn you can use "DARK Matter" Monster in your hand for Synchro Summon. and if you do that synchro monster gain the effect of "DARK Matter" monster used as its non-Tuner.

Ritual spell now days have second utility for you advantage. so i give this spell a choice of draw power or Synchro enabler

DARK Matter - Dark Lightning:

"Active by discarding 1 "DARK Matter" card While you control only "DARK Matter" Monster. you either Target up to 2 Spell/Trap cards your opponent control OR Target 1 monster their control: Destroy it

same as your changes, but i add the discard cost to make it not as free as before

DARK Matter - Dark Possession:

"Active only While you control only "DARK Matter" Monster. Target 1 monster your opponent control, equip a "DARK Matter" monster with a equal or higher Level than that target from your hand or field to that target.While "DARK Matter" monster is equipped to that monster by this effect, take control of that monster. if the equipped monster is removed from the field: you can Special Summon the"DARK Matter" Monster that was equipped to it , except "DARK Matter - Ruler, Zero" ignoring its summoning condition. but its effect is negated"

Basically still the same. the only addition here is to also equip your monster from your hand to make use of dead draws that you may get due to high number of high level monster in this archetype.

DARK Matter - Hyper Zone:

"When this card is activated: Add 1 "DARK Matter" Monster from your Deck to your hand. all "DARK Matter" Monster you control gain 300 ATK. You can send this card into your Graveyard: add 1 "DARK Matter - Ruler, Zero" from your Graveyard to your hand"

i made this to a generic searcher to help the deck consistencies. it add Zero anyway. i give a bonus for searching Zero from grave for sake of original wording and utilize the sac'ed Zero for something else

I'll go ahead and update the starting post. A few things though:

-I'm going to remove the comma in Shadow Dedede's name, as it's unnecessary.

-I'm going to remove the "Shadow," moniker from Meta Knight and restore the "Dark" part, because that's his name.

-Unless it ends up being overpowered, Zero is going to still be able to redirect attacks to opponent's monsters. I'm also renaming his back to "Zero - Ruler of DARK Matter" for a lore reason. Something having to do with the fact that his existence is on a different scale than the other DARK Matters.

-Reaper is supposed to be the Swordsman's true form. I want the true form card to be better than Swordsman, while relying on Swordsman being destroyed/banished (one of the two) to be summoned. I think I'll rename the current "Reaper" card to "DARK Matter - Hireling, Scout" and lower it's original ATK a tiny bit, and make a new Dark Reaper true form card, because the difference is important enough that the two forms should not be exactly alike. Then again, I could make a basic form card for Dark Reaper, and have that special summon Swordsman, basically turning Swordsman into the reward card instead of the trigger.

-For Dark Possession ... equal or HIGHER level? Are you sure about that? (Edit: nevermind. I thought that was saying the Dark Matter could posses monsters with levels higher than it, but I understand what you meant now.)

Edit: Updated the original post. Didn't include Miracle Matter because I can't think of a good way to make that card yet.

-Unless it ends up being overpowered, Zero is going to still be able to redirect attacks to opponent's monsters. I'm also renaming his back to "Zero - Ruler of DARK Matter" for a lore reason. Something having to do with the fact that his existence is on a different scale than the other DARK Matters.

OH so that what those wonky wording meant...well is wrongly worded AND over-powered. i suggest to modify it to back to my original suggestion. also since you already made changes in original post you can delete those cards in your reply for just to tidy it up or you can simply hide it with spoiler tag

type [spoiler name of content] and [/spoiler] sandwiching the post you want to hide

The reply has been "spoilered", and I reworded Zero's card so his second effect can only redirect attacks to DARK Matter monsters. I still want there to be a way for Zero/the DARK Matter species to manipulate the opponent, as that's one of Zero key traits ... I think I can turn that into either a Spell or Trap card!

So, about Dark Matter Scout and the new Reaper monsters ... thoughts?

There's a Spell Card I want to make based off of Zero Two. Basically, a "resurrection" for Zero, to get him back to the field from the graveyard (considering he's been defeated in battle).

DARK Matter - Resurrection

"Activate this card from your hand while "Zero - Ruler of DARK Matter" is in your graveyard after being destroyed by battle. Special Summon "Zero - Ruler of DARK Matter" from your graveyard, ignoring it's summoning conditions, and equip this card to it. During your second Standby Phase after this card's activation, destroy this card. If this card is destroyed by a card effect other than it's own, destroy the monster it's equipped to. While this card is equipped to a monster, that monster cannot be destroyed by card effects or activate it's effects."

(Equip-Spell)

Two reasons why Zero is underpowered while the card is equipped:

1. In lore, the resurrection is supposed to take time. In Kirby 64, the creature Zero possessed was in a late stage of possession, but not quite perfect. Had Kirby taken longer to find it, Zero would've looked (and been as powerful) as his Dreamland 3 counterpart.

2. Just being able to re-summon Zero to the field with no drawbacks would be overpowered.

Is there anything I should change about this card? (I assume there is, but what?)

• 1 month later...

I updated the archetype. Changelog:

Miracle Matter

Changed it so that he can only be destroyed by battle in defense position. This actually helps with his token summoning effect.

Necrodeus

Changed the [min 2] to [min 1 if possible].

Dark Possession

Reworded some text so now it can steal Xyz monsters, and possessed monsters are treated as "DARK Matter" monsters so they don't go against the "Activate while you only control DARK Matter monsters" effects. Also, I clarified that it can only target face-up monsters, as that was always the intention.

Dimension Mirror

I listed the exact names of the monsters it can summon so that it can be searched by Pre-Preparation of Rites. Also, for balancing, the drawing effect can now only be used once per turn.

Dark Reaper (Swordsman)

I gave him normal Reaper's effects in addition to his unique effects.

Zero - Ruler of DARK Matter

Zero now only takes 3 tributes to summon. In practice, he was too difficult to summon with the 5 tribute requirement.

In addition, there's a new Continuous spell added.

Archived