[MTG] Commander 2017 Spoilers

Flame Dragon

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing really stands out. Alms collector is a neat hate bear and Lynx is pretty cute.

Balan really needs that extra point of toughness. Hes going to eat every removal spell at the table anyways though.

Mirri seems sweet imo. A personal training (EDIT: DUELING) ground is really powerful. I think if I were to build a GW catmmander I'd have her heading it. Eminence kitty is powerful, but don't think it is really what the deck wants.

Hammer seems awesome in any equipment heavy list. Plus just having another reusable way to make a creature indestructible is powerful.

I'd just cast Balan turn 6 so I can activate his ability in response and give him various forms of protection from the equipment. Though I personally think Kemba is the better mono-white equipment commander this is a cool option.

traverse the outlands might have a chance in gitrog. Probably not, since it can't really be used before I cast the toad, but worth trying.

HUNGRY LYNX IS SO COOL

I think it has a shot. Pulling 6 lands is a LOT, especially if you also get landfall triggers happening with it. Angry Omnath seems perfect for it though. The one issue I can see running into is making other basic fetchers weaker unless you play enough a ton. Your going to want to play other rampers and between those and just naturally drawing them it could become an issue. My personal Gitrog list only plays 13 which might be a number where thats an issue. Still worth testing though.

Lynx is indeed perfect on every level.

I think it has a shot. Pulling 6 lands is a LOT, especially if you also get landfall triggers happening with it. Angry Omnath seems perfect for it though. The one issue I can see running into is making other basic fetchers weaker unless you play enough a ton. Your going to want to play other rampers and between those and just naturally drawing them it could become an issue. My personal Gitrog list only plays 13 which might be a number where thats an issue. Still worth testing though.

Lynx is indeed perfect on every level.

I run 63 lands. I'll be fine.

I run 63 lands. I'll be fine.

How many of those are basics? I mean, I doubt that matters since with that many lands you're going to have more than enough, but I'm kind of curious. Also, 63 is a LOT. Like, thats how many spells most my decks run. Even my Gitrog list only pushed the land count to 40.

How many of those are basics? I mean, I doubt that matters since with that many lands you're going to have more than enough, but I'm kind of curious. Also, 63 is a LOT. Like, thats how many spells most my decks run. Even my Gitrog list only pushed the land count to 40.

Just counted, actually only have 53.

18 basics (15 forests, 3 swamps).

My win conditions (marit lage, loam lock, worm harvest, baloths, commander damage, freaking exsanguinate for 40) are all heavily land-based, so unless something gets me more lands or directly works off of them, it just turns out as a potential whiff for oracle of mul daya or animist's awakening.

Also keeps my odds high while dredging dakmor salvage.

Just counted, actually only have 53.

18 basics (15 forests, 3 swamps).

My win conditions (marit lage, loam lock, worm harvest, baloths, commander damage, freaking exsanguinate for 40) are all heavily land-based, so unless something gets me more lands or directly works off of them, it just turns out as a potential whiff for oracle of mul daya or animist's awakening.

Also keeps my odds high while dredging dakmor salvage.

53 is a more reasonable number. Still a fair bit higher than mine, but Marit Lage and Exsanguinate are way more mana intensive than the stuff I run.

For the record, I just use thespian stage for lage.

exsanguinate is cast off of squandered resources combos

I figured, but it isn't impossible to just defrost it yourself with such a high land count.

Squandered Resources if a pretty nutty card, especially with Splendid Reclamation.

Mirri is absurd. Like, holy crap. I've a couple of friends who are rumbling about her being playable in Maverick or Zoo variants, and I can see it. As for me, she's going straight into Saskia (or Samut if I go ahead with cutting the black from that deck). Also surprised that nobody's mentioned how she's a direct reference to Dueling Grounds.

For anyone thinking Nazahn is bad, you're reading him wrong. He's a 7/4 indestructible for 4GW that has half of Sigarda's Aid stapled on, and can tap down blockers on offense. The fact that he can fetch up any other equipment from your deck in a pinch is a lot of gravy. And the Hammer in isolation isn't bad, pretty much a better Darksteel Plate for a slight increase in cost.

Alms Collector may go into Ephara, sheerly because of flash. His effect probably will trigger a lot less than you'd expect, though, seeing as most effects that draw 2+ cards are oneshot. Although I guess he's good against Nekusar? Mono-white card draw, no matter how bad, is still mono-white card draw...

Mind games aside, I wouldn't play Soul Snare, so I wouldn't play Stalking Leonin.

I've made my thoughts on Boundless Realms and Harvest Season made many times by now, but I'll repeat them again for Traverse the Outlands. Card isn't necessarily bad, but it's not just a ramp spell you can throw in any deck. It's more for landfall decks than as an actual source of acceleration.

The first line of rules text for Hungry Lynx is going in the "Most Flavorful Non-Flavor Text Hall of Fame," alongside Boldwyr Intimidator.

Aaaaand I don't care enough about Balan or Bloodforged War Axe to continue this.

Mirri is absurd. Like, holy crap. I've a couple of friends who are rumbling about her being playable in Maverick or Zoo variants, and I can see it. As for me, she's going straight into Saskia (or Samut if I go ahead with cutting the black from that deck). Also surprised that nobody's mentioned how she's a direct reference to Dueling Grounds.

For anyone thinking Nazahn is bad, you're reading him wrong. He's a 7/4 indestructible for 4GW that has half of Sigarda's Aid stapled on, and can tap down blockers on offense. The fact that he can fetch up any other equipment from your deck in a pinch is a lot of gravy. And the Hammer in isolation isn't bad, pretty much a better Darksteel Plate for a slight increase in cost.

Alms Collector may go into Ephara, sheerly because of flash. His effect probably will trigger a lot less than you'd expect, though, seeing as most effects that draw 2+ cards are oneshot. Although I guess he's good against Nekusar? Mono-white card draw, no matter how bad, is still mono-white card draw...

Mind games aside, I wouldn't play Soul Snare, so I wouldn't play Stalking Leonin.

I've made my thoughts on Boundless Realms and Harvest Season made many times by now, but I'll repeat them again for Traverse the Outlands. Card isn't necessarily bad, but it's not just a ramp spell you can throw in any deck. It's more for landfall decks than as an actual source of acceleration.

The first line of rules text for Hungry Lynx is going in the "Most Flavorful Non-Flavor Text Hall of Fame," alongside Boldwyr Intimidator.

Aaaaand I don't care enough about Balan or Bloodforged War Axe to continue this.

I thought I made the reference, but I wrote Training. SMRT

I like the design of all 3 GW cat legends. One is pure tribal, another a powerful standalone, and the 3rd plays into the equipment theme a lot of the best cat creatures have because of Mirrodin. Across the board they are all done very well.

Alms Colector is INSANE against wheel/windfall effects. For example Wheel puts you at 10 cards (assuming 3 opponents) and everyone else at 1. Is SUPER mean. Though against Neku you'd also burn faster.

The reason I can't really get on board with alms collector is that notion thief is already a thing and is the same CMC, and white already had spirit of the labyrinth.

Yeah, alms collector can take a bolt, but I honestly don't think it is anything to write home about.

Its home will be in WUR OR WU decks most likely. WR is also an option, but I don't think it would really durdle around with that. Only other place I could think for this is hatebears.deck. I do agree that people are likely giving this more hype than it deserves.

I had to reread the new Mirri as I couldn't believe what I was reading. Everything with Menace gets through scot-free when they join in an attack with her.

Hungry Lynx is just beautiful. It also has the silliest thing happen in my main commander deck as my changelings are on both ends of the effect at the same time.

bone splitter-splitter. That's a joke I saw on the equipment that replicates itself

wSxnamC.png

JevqDob.png

Summoning of Kin 5GG

Instant

Choose a creature type. Reveal the top card of your library until you reveal X creature cards of the chosen type, where X is the number of creatures you control of the chosen type. Put those creature cards onto the battlefield, then shuffle all other cards revealed this way into your library.

DgnSf35.png

Horn of the Herald 3

Artifact

As ~ ETBs, choose a creature type.

Creature spells you cast of the chosen type cost 1 less to cast.

At the beginning of your upkeep, look at the top card of your library. If it's a creature card of the chosen type, you may reveal it and add it to your hand.

wSxnamC.png

JevqDob.png

Summoning of Kin 5GG

Instant

Choose a creature type. Reveal the top card of your library until you reveal X creature cards of the chosen type, where X is the number of creatures you control of the chosen type. Put those creature cards onto the battlefield, then shuffle all other cards revealed this way into your library.

DgnSf35.png

Horn of the Herald 3

Artifact

As ~ ETBs, choose a creature type.

Creature spells you cast of the chosen type cost 1 less to cast.

At the beginning of your upkeep, look at the top card of your library. If it's a creature card of the chosen type, you may reveal it and add it to your hand.

Very excited for the choose-your-own tribal cards. New toys for Sphinxes and Eldrazi is always appreciated.

Horn is pretty gud. Path is a cool design but coming in tapped is kind of lame, It would be pretty powerful if it didn't though.

The rest of the stuff is ok but pretty expensive on the mana side. My playgroup is pretty high powered so none of it really interests me, I do like the art of kindred discovery though.

Kindred Discovery + Locust God either kills you, wins you the game, or gives you an army of locusts, depending on what other cards you have out or in hand. Though I'm sure that was fairly obvious.

I never even though of that. Thats real dumb, wow.

Anyway more new cards

boneyardscourge.jpgfortunatefew.jpgfracturedidentity.jpg

I love the Dragon. I want to build a Prossh dragon list and it is PERFECT for it.

If I want a political wrath I'm playing Tragic Arrogance which cost the same as Fortunate Few. That being said, I can see political decks wanting another option. Still think a normal wrath would be better.

Identity looks like trash. It has some application in a Zedruu style deck, but that is super niche.

So important note, but from C18 on, decks will no longer be constrained by the "5 color-balanced cycle" model. We'll see more stuff like this year, where things are built around a theme.

Path is already pretty incredible. I'll take a second Command Tower that comes in tapped, and being able to scry when I cast my creatures is a significant bonus. Will definitely find a place for it in Saskia and Alesha if I build her, as both of them have enough humans to trigger this more than once.

Apparently Kindred Discovery is part of an "absurdly pushed tribal" cycle of spells. Definitely a slam dunk in Edric or any tribal deck with a low curve. The draw potential on this is absurd.

Daxos' Torment and Awaken the Sky Tyrant should've taught Wizards that undercosted beaters with drawbacks in EDH aren't what people want. Yawn. Territorial Hellkite is bad, onto the next one.

Scalelord Reckoner basically reads that your dragons have hexproof. Which is annoying as hell.

The remaining three are pretty bad, ngl. Fortunate Few is more likely than not gonna screw the caster: like Flame said, I'd much rather play Tragic Arrogance over it. (Although Fractured Identity is nice with Phage, haha.)

Apparently Kindred Discovery is part of an "absurdly pushed tribal" cycle of spells. Definitely a slam dunk in Edric or any tribal deck with a low curve. The draw potential on this is absurd.

Daxos' Torment and Awaken the Sky Tyrant should've taught Wizards that undercosted beaters with drawbacks in EDH aren't what people want. Yawn. Territorial Hellkite is bad, onto the next one.

Scalelord Reckoner basically reads that your dragons have hexproof. Which is annoying as hell.

The remaining three are pretty bad, ngl. Fortunate Few is more likely than not gonna screw the caster: like Flame said, I'd much rather play Tragic Arrogance over it. (Although Fractured Identity is nice with Phage, haha.)

Speaking of cards in that cycle

summonthetribe.jpg

Summon the Tribe

5GG

Instant

Choose a creature type. Reveal the top card card of your library until you reveal X creatures of the chosen type, where X is the number of creatures you control of the chosen type, and place them onto the battlefield. Shuffle the other revealed cards into your library.

Yea, these seem nuts.

I'm not one for random giant creatures, but I do see the appeal for some players.

Recknoner is Karmic Justice for Dragons. Asceticism is stronger, but the pull for the tribal synergy is certainly strong.

I wonder what are good self Identity targets. Using it with the various Howling Mines seems hilarious.

Archived