How to Get Better at Yu-Gi-Oh!

I have been a Yugioh Player for many years, and I have noticed similar behaviors that people have had that have helped them become better at the game.

1) Play to Win.

This is simple, Play to Win or don't play at all. When Entering a tournament other than locals(for example, Regionals), your mindset should be I am here to win. By doing this, you focus yourself on making few to no mistakes.

2) Eat a balanced meal before and during the event.

Eating right is important to do good at an event. Not only will you be less distracted by hunger, you will be able to concentrate on the game better. During the event, if there is no lunch break, take time after an early victory or loss to find a place to eat. If you are worried that you will play slow, bring a bagged lunch and eat throught the rounds, after your match. Make sure you drink plenty of water, and little to no Energy Drinks. They will give you a boost, but the crash will come later, during more important rounds.

3) Sleep.

Be sure to get at least 8 hours of sleep before the event. Do not plan on sleeping on the card ride over. The quality of sleep is as important as the amount of sleep. Being tired greatly increases the chances of player mistakes.

4) Playtesting.

Be sure to playtest before the event. This helps you find your weaknesses in your deck. It also gives you a chance to find ways to combat top tier decks. Be sure not to over playtest. Over Playtesting is bad for because not every opponent has the same decklist or play style or ability. Over Playtesting gives you a false sense of confidence which can lead to defeats even though your deck "playtests amazing".

5) Think about obvious plays.

Don't rush through each move. By taking time to think about all the possibilities of your play, you can prepare yourself for what your opponent can do. If you rush through your play, that indicates to any competent player that you have dead cards in hand. Be sure to check your face-downs whenever your opponent activates something. This sends the signal that you could have a facedown Solemn Judgment or have a game changing trap facedown.

6) Deck Lists.

If you have to write a decklist for the deck, write it at least 1 day prior to the event. This makes sure you are not rushing to fill out your decklist and forgetting key cards. This allow will reduce the amount of possible mistakes on your decklist, which could cost you a game. It also allows you time to find weaknesses that your deck could have. Be sure to have an extra copy of your deck. This helps to side out if you are confused.

7) Make sure your deck can win.

If you are going to run a deck that is not top tier, make sure it can consistantly beat the top tier decks. I am not talking 50 to 75 percent of the time, I mean 85%+. If you have a top tier deck, make sure you know how to beat common side deck choices. For example, side Dust Tornados if you are running Gladiator Beasts and are worried about Royal Opression.

8) Know the fallicies of your deck.

If you think your deck has no weaknesses, think again. Your opponent can surprise you with Tech or Different playing styles. Be prepared for anything. Make sure you cover your weaknesses with your side deck.

9) Make sure you side out.

After each Match, make sure you side deck out. You should do this before you get up from your table. Giving your opponent a game win because you forgot to side out a copy of Prohibition is a mistake which could be the difference of being on the bubble at the end, or going X-1.

10) Keep Track of Time.

This is important because timing is every thing. Make sure at the end of the round, go and find out the time left until the next round. During the Match, keep track of time, so you don't go into time. This is helpful because if you have 5 or less minutes in the round, while going into game 3, Solemn Judgment, Royal Opression and Premature Burial may be a dead draw.

11) Keep Track of Lifepoints.

Make sure you have both players lifepoints. Keep the lifepoints on two seperate places. I usually carry a calculator + pen and paper to keep track of the lifepoints. Make sure you keep track of when you take damage as well. If there is a discrepancy between you and your opponents lifepoints and you have 2 refrences and your opponent has 1, the judge will most likely side with you.

12) Note Taking - Credit goes to JoC for the idea.

If you are running cards that allow you to see your opponents hand(i.e. Trap Dustshoot, CCV, etc), make sure you have pen and paper to take notes. You can write down what they have. This is better than memorizing what they have, because your memory can easily faultered. As they play cards from thier hand, cross of the cards name. This allows you to keep track of possible cards they have in their hand.

13) Sleeves

Make sure to sleeve all of your cards, including your side deck. This does two things, it protects your cards from wear and tear, and it speeds up side decking. Protecting your cards is important. If they get damaged and you don't have cases, you could be warned for marking your cards. In between matches, if you have to desleeve cards out of your maindeck, your opponent can count how many you side deck. The best way to combat this is to shuffle your side deck into your main deck and then take out 15 cards. This is called Smoke Screening. Be sure to have extra sleeves as well, in case some of your cases break. Make sure they are relatively new sleeves. I ususally will buy new sleeves for the event, just to make sure my opponent can't card shark a game because one of my cases has a dirt spot on it.

14) Rulings

Make sure to know as many rulings that involve your deck as possible. This helps when you or your opponent calls for a judge. Be sure to give a clear explanation of what happened, and what you think will happen. If the judge rules against what you think, appeal it to the head judge. This gives you a second chance, especially if that judge is wrong. Even if you are wrong, the head judge will usually explain it better than a floor judge.

15) Learn from your mistakes.

After the event, go over what happened. What went right? What went wrong? How can I fix this? What should I have done? These are all good questions. By addressing these questions, you force yourself to address how your deck is run. This helps to decrease the player mistakes you make, and increases deck effeciency.

16) Relax- Credit goes to tonisanoob for the idea.

It is important to relax and stay calm. Getting nervous and excited is natural, however, if you can surpress these emotions you can concentrate on your match. Being calm and relaxed can help you think clearer and will help you lower your player mistakes. By being nervous and showing it, your opponent can use this to their advantage.

17) Thinking Ahead - Credit to tonisanoob for the idea.

Be sure to think ahead in the duel. Do not always think about what is the best move this turn. Sometimes short turn payoff will lead to defeat. Always think, what could I do that would leave me in the best position for next turn? Always think about how your next draw could affect you. If you are able to make multiple plays that have the same effect, think about which one is most effective, and leaves you in the best position. This will help you keep card advantage, and give you options in case your opponent does something unexpected.

18) Be Up to date - Credit goes to JoC for the idea.

Be sure to be up to date with all the rulings. This will cause less confusion on your part. Be sure to be up to date with the Ban/Restricted List. -Can someone help me with this? I don't no what to write.

Thanks for reading, sorry if there are spelling errors. I am always open to suggestions.

inb4tl;dr

inb4TCcantinb4

EDIT: More added thanks to Tonisanoob.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1) Play to Win.

This is simple, Play to Win or don't play at all. When Entering a tournament other than locals(for example, Regionals), your mindset should be I am here to win. By doing this, you focus yourself on making few to no mistakes.

I 100% DISAGREE! Winning is fine and dandy, but this is still a game, NOT A WAY OF LIFE! If you go to a tournament with nothing but winning on the brain, what do you think happens when you get that "L?" People CRASH at that point, and the rest of the day just goes downhill from there. FOR ONCE i wanna meet that guy who can say, "well i came 17th! ^w^ thats STILL KICK ASS!" than constantly meeting those people saying, "FLAWK! WTH MAN?! I WAS THIS CLOSE! THIS FLAWKIN CLOSE! D$^%! I think that MF Stacked me! Im gonna kick his AZZ!"

If people would learn to simply play for the sake of playing, it will 1. Make them better duelist, and 2. Better people.

After each Match, make sure you side deck out. Giving your opponent a game win because you forgot to side out a copy of Prohibition is a mistake which could be the difference of being on the bubble at the end, or going X-1.

Not that that isn't a wise move, but try this out. Make your opponent think your siding out so that He/she breaks their train of thought. How many times has any of you gone through a round, both deciding at first not to side, than a few seconds later, you think hmmm welll.... yeah i think ill side, and your opponent sides right than and there. If you know your deck could have won, but mabey speed wasn't with you, instead of changing the deck, just side in and out copies of the same card. This creates a false sense for your opponent, and could make them hurt them self. I promise this to you, there doing the same exact thing.

10) No Music.

Music will only hurt you if you are listening to it. You concentrate more when you are forced to pay attention to the game. Nothing is worse than forgetting to chain D.D. Crow to a topdeck'd Monster Reborn that costs you the game.

We all know that major tournaments and regionals are hell, and it creates an overwhelming environment at times. This is common for almost all players. Do you ever wish that just for a moment you can clear your head and escape the harsh reality right in front of you? Well why not with music? Its yours, you like it, you know it can sooth you and calm you down. Its your home away from home. How many people know that they, or a friend studies or concentrates better while listening to their music? I know i do, and why should this be any different? Just be aware that when your lost in your thoughts, times a ticking and you don't want a "slow play" penalty.

Not that the last 2 guides are wrong, just take a different approach, YOUR OWN approach, and do what feels right for you.

1) Play to Win.

This is simple' date=' Play to Win or don't play at all. When Entering a tournament other than locals(for example, Regionals), your mindset should be I am here to win. By doing this, you focus yourself on making few to no mistakes.[/quote']

I 100% DISAGREE! Winning is fine and dandy, but this is still a game, NOT A WAY OF LIFE! If you go to a tournament with nothing but winning on the brain, what do you think happens when you get that "L?" People CRASH at that point, and the rest of the day just goes downhill from there. FOR ONCE i wanna meet that guy who can say, "well i came 17th! ^w^ thats STILL KICK ASS!" than constantly meeting those people saying, "FLAWK! WTH MAN?! I WAS THIS CLOSE! THIS FLAWKIN CLOSE! D$^%! I think that MF Stacked me! Im gonna kick his AZZ!"

If people would learn to simply play for the sake of playing, it will 1. Make them better duelist, and 2. Better people.

That is fine, however, if you come "just to play" then you aren't as focused as you should be. Creating a mindset to win is just as important as having a good deck. Higher level tournaments require to be at the top of your game, and a mindset helps you more than you think. Playing for fun is important, however after spending money to get transportation to the event, paying to play at the event, money for food, hotel(if it is a 2 day event), don't you want to win. If you don't want to win, you just wasted money.

I also added more.

1) Play to Win.

This is simple' date=' Play to Win or don't play at all. When Entering a tournament other than locals(for example, Regionals), your mindset should be I am here to win. By doing this, you focus yourself on making few to no mistakes.[/quote']

That is fine, however, if you come "just to play" then you aren't as focused as you should be. Creating a mindset to win is just as important as having a good deck. Higher level tournaments require to be at the top of your game, and a mindset helps you more than you think. Playing for fun is important, however after spending money to get transportation to the event, paying to play at the event, money for food, hotel(if it is a 2 day event), don't you want to win. If you don't want to win, you just wasted money.

I also added more.

I can sense where your coming from but wouldn't it be MORE of a waste of money to have that mind frame, go 2-2 knowing that if you loose just 1 more round, you lost all shots of making it to day 2, and dropping after you lost? If you go with the mind frame, "winning would be nice, but im just ready to duel my ass off!" would be more profitable for because hey, you played through all 10 rounds, THE BEST TRADE BAIT is after round 7 because people are so frustrated with their loosing of thier $1000 decks (people with your mind frame) That they just want nothing more to do with it and trade it for basically nothing at all. AND 3 the vender's just wanna get rid of their inventory so there selling practically dirt cheap from when they opened (more or less day 2)

yugioh is a way of life if you dont play to win why play at all

Because it is a game, and it was up until.... mabey the envoys supposed to be much more.... fun orientated.

After each Match' date=' make sure you side deck out. Giving your opponent a game win because you forgot to side out a copy of Prohibition is a mistake which could be the difference of being on the bubble at the end, or going X-1.[/quote']

Not that that isn't a wise move, but try this out. Make your opponent think your siding out so that He/she breaks their train of thought. How many times has any of you gone through a round, both deciding at first not to side, than a few seconds later, you think hmmm welll.... yeah i think ill side, and your opponent sides right than and there. If you know your deck could have won, but mabey speed wasn't with you, instead of changing the deck, just side in and out copies of the same card. This creates a false sense for your opponent, and could make them hurt them self. I promise this to you, there doing the same exact thing.

A Match is different than a game.

10) No Music.

Music will only hurt you if you are listening to it. You concentrate more when you are forced to pay attention to the game. Nothing is worse than forgetting to chain D.D. Crow to a topdeck'd Monster Reborn that costs you the game.

We all know that major tournaments and regionals are hell' date=' and it creates an overwhelming environment at times. This is common for almost all players. Do you ever wish that just for a moment you can clear your head and escape the harsh reality right in front of you? Well why not with music? Its yours, you like it, you know it can sooth you and calm you down. Its your home away from home. How many people know that they, or a friend studies or concentrates better while listening to their music? I know i do, and why should this be any different? Just be aware that when your lost in your thoughts, times a ticking and you don't want a "slow play" penalty.

Not that the last 2 guides are wrong, just take a different approach, YOUR OWN approach, and do what feels right for you.

[/quote']

While listening to music, in an already noisy environment, you run the risk of not hearing everything your opponent says. If you need to think, music will only distract you more. I have played with my music before and I was constantly distracted. I noticed I had fewer play mistakes when I had turned off my music.

I can sense where your coming from but wouldn't it be MORE of a waste of money to have that mind frame' date=' go 2-2 knowing that if you loose just 1 more round, you lost all shots of making it to day 2, and dropping after you lost? If you go with the mind frame, "winning would be nice, but im just ready to duel my ass off!" would be more profitable for because hey, you played through all 10 rounds, THE BEST TRADE BAIT is after round 7 because people are so frustrated with their loosing of thier $1000 decks (people with your mind frame) That they just want nothing more to do with it and trade it for basically nothing at all. AND 3 the vender's just wanna get rid of their inventory so there selling practicly dirt cheap from when they opened (more or less day 2) [/quote']

It's fine going into the event and wanting to do other stuff, however, if you have the mindset of wanting to win, you increase your chances of winning. You should be most concerned with making day 2, than buying and trading. If you don't come to win, don't play.

A Match is different than a game.

Your absolutly right' date=' and i thought you were saying "ALWAYS side out", not "Always side out at the end of a match." Misinterpretation (ask anybody, i do that a lot round here.) He is right, its best to [b']"side back"[/b] (better title for your paragraph) directly after the match, even before leaving your seat. It helps you prep for the next round and who knows, you could get lucky, your opponent could have left without sinning the result slip. (had that happen before. XP)

While listening to music' date=' in an already noisy environment, you run the risk of not hearing everything your opponent says. If you need to think, music will only distract you more. I have played with my music before and I was constantly distracted. I noticed I had fewer play mistakes when I had turned off my music.[/quote']

You cant base what you experience for everybody, it creates a Bias sense of mind, and if this is a guide to help OTHER people, you have to incorporate what works for most. The whole "might not hear what your opponent is saying" is true, so i would suggest if you do choose to listen to your music, have it at a level where it doesn't drown out the area around you, but enough to allow you to feel at ease.

It's fine going into the event and wanting to do other stuff' date=' however, if you have the mindset of wanting to win, you increase your chances of winning. You should be most concerned with making day 2, than buying and trading. If you don't come to win, don't play.

[/quote']

A mind set can be false and create a cloud in judgment, you want to enter every tournament with a clear head so you concentrate on nothing but the game in front of you, and nothing else. Keeping the image of winning could cause you to do spiteful things along as you win, and these things could be consequential. Think of how Stacking became so popular? Its the "win by any means" mindset. Its unsportsmanlike , and if found out, it could leads to penalties that can and will eventually lead you to not being able to play at all. That "By any means win" mindset evolves very quickly from the "play to win" mindset, and frankly just plain ugly. People get desperate when it comes to winning, and eventually just turns you into that "bad person" i was talking about earlier.

While listening to music' date=' in an already noisy environment, you run the risk of not hearing everything your opponent says. If you need to think, music will only distract you more. I have played with my music before and I was constantly distracted. I noticed I had fewer play mistakes when I had turned off my music.[/quote']

You cant base what you experience for everybody, it creates a Bias sense of mind, and if this is a guide to help OTHER people, you have to incorporate what works for most. The whole "might not hear what your opponent is saying" is true, so i would suggest if you do choose to listen to your music, have it at a level where it doesn't drown out the area around you, but enough to allow you to feel at ease.

I am not basing the whole article about my experience. I have actually seen people, my self included, do better when they do not listen to music.

It's fine going into the event and wanting to do other stuff' date=' however, if you have the mindset of wanting to win, you increase your chances of winning. You should be most concerned with making day 2, than buying and trading. If you don't come to win, don't play.

[/quote']

A mind set can be false and create a cloud in judgment, you want to enter every tournament with a clear head so you concentrate on nothing but the game in front of you, and nothing else. Keeping the image of winning could cause you to do spiteful things along as you win, and these things could be consequential. Think of how Stacking became so popular? Its the "win by any means" mindset. Its unsportsmanlike , and if found out, it could leads to penalties that can and will eventually lead you to not being able to play at all. That "By any means win" mindset evolves very quickly from the "play to win" mindset, and frankly just plain ugly. People get desperate when it comes to winning, and eventually just turns you into that "bad person" i was talking about earlier.

I am not saying be focused on winning the whole tournament. I am saying focus on winning your matches. Doing this helps you focus on what is really important. Honestly, if you stack, you deserve to lose. I do not condone the "By any means win." This guide is to help people get better at the game, not tell them to cheat to win.

I noticed you don't really talk about deck ideas, that might be a good thing to write about, btw about the music, I need music to focus so thats really just a opiny

I noticed you don't really talk about deck ideas' date=' that might be a good thing to write about, btw about the music, I need music to focus so thats really just a opiny

[/quote']

This was just a list of general things that I noticed that helps people. I took out the music section. I might write an article about deck ideas, however I think Crab did a solid job.

I am not saying be focused on winning the whole tournament. I am saying focus on winning your matches. Doing this helps you focus on what is really important. Honestly' date=' if you stack, you deserve to lose. I do not condone the "By any means win." This guide is to help people get better at the game, not tell them to cheat to win.

[/quote']

Yoda told Anakin to basicaly do what you have to get strong, AND NOW LOOK AT HIM! He's all up in dat Darkside. I just dont think that telling people to do something for selfish reasons is good advice. Also about being bias, (belive me, im ALL sorts ov Bias) how can you say,

I am not basing the whole article about my experience. I have actually seen people, my self included, do better when they do not listen to music.
in the same sentence? its like... lol what?!

your missing 2 relax and think ahead for possible furture draws and try and predict your opponents moves

Good Idea' date=' I will add it later.

I am not saying be focused on winning the whole tournament. I am saying focus on winning your matches. Doing this helps you focus on what is really important. Honestly' date=' if you stack, you deserve to lose. I do not condone the "By any means win." This guide is to help people get better at the game, not tell them to cheat to win.

[/quote']

Yoda told Anakin to basicaly do what you have to get strong, AND NOW LOOK AT HIM! He's all up in dat Darkside. I just dont think that telling people to do something for selfish reasons is good advice. Also about being bias, (belive me, im ALL sorts ov Bias) how can you say,

I never said Stack to Win. I said that you should play to win.

I am not basing the whole article about my experience. I have actually seen people' date=' my self included, do better when they do not listen to music.[/quote']

in the same sentence? its like... lol what?!

I said that this is not only about my experiences, but it is also of other players experiences. Out of all the people I have seen play, people have done better by not listening to music. I took out the music section anyway.

nobody said you did, i think i may have taken my example over the top a lil.

Final comment, i wouldn't suggest note taking simply because it is public knowledge. What ever you write down can be seen by your opponent at any time, and could effect you more than assist you. Basically what im saying is its a Double edge blade, and you should watch how you wield it.

[spoiler= Fact, and source]During play, players may take any notes they wish regarding the game in progress and may refer to those notes as they wish. Note-taking must not interfere with the normal flow of play, and no additional time will be allocated for it. Notes are public information to both players.

http://entertainment.upperdeck.com/COMMUNITY/forums/thread/1195391.aspx

In a nut shell this thread is a good idea, im not trying to nit pick, im more worried how the players, and readers interpret it.

nobody said you did' date=' i think i may have taken my example over the top a lil.

Final comment, i wouldn't suggest note taking simply because it is public knowledge. What ever you write down can be seen by your opponent at any time, and could effect you more than assist you. Basically what im saying is its a Double edge blade, and you should watch how you wield it.

[spoiler= Fact, and source']During play, players may take any notes they wish regarding the game in progress and may refer to those notes as they wish. Note-taking must not interfere with the normal flow of play, and no additional time will be allocated for it. Notes are public information to both players.

In a nut shell this thread is a good idea, im not trying to nit pick, im more worried how the players, and readers interpret it.

Note Taking is effective because it allows you to concentrate on what your opponent has. If you use Trapdust Shoot, write down what your opponent has after you send back. It doesn't really hurt you because your opponent already knows what they have in hand.

nobody said you did' date=' i think i may have taken my example over the top a lil.

[spoiler= Fact, and source']During play, players may take any notes they wish regarding the game in progress and may refer to those notes as they wish. Note-taking must not interfere with the normal flow of play, and no additional time will be allocated for it. Notes are public information to both players.

Note Taking is effective because it allows you to concentrate on what your opponent has. If you use Trapdust Shoot, write down what your opponent has after you send back. It doesn't really hurt you because your opponent already knows what they have in hand.

again, mabey its not me missing the point. Okay, lets just say someone of the age of 6 were reading this thread right now, and decides... YEAH I GET TO TAKE NOTES! and starts taking notes about how they played. Lets say they activated Solemn.... makes a few notes and than passes the turn. The opponent goes, hmm hes writing something down, "Mind if i see that?" Than he sees solemn, at that point he could be a pest, and say "i dont understand", and at that point the kid has to elaborate their notes. Feeding their opponent all the information he/she needs against that kids deck. It can be hurtful, and by not taking any notes at all, it wont effect any outcome at all.

One last thing i should say, if your in this to help other people you have to learn to view things from ALL perspectives and all case senarios. Dont put a blind eye to anything when it comes to helping other people. Its like that old song says. "The world don't move to the beat of just one drum. What might be right for you, may not be right for some."

Guest Chaos Pudding

again, mabey its not me missing the point. Okay, lets just say someone of the age of 6 were reading this thread right now, and decides... YEAH I GET TO TAKE NOTES! and starts taking notes about how they played. Lets say they activated Solemn.... makes a few notes and than passes the turn. The opponent goes, hmm hes writing something down, "Mind if i see that?" Than he sees solemn, at that point he could be a pest, and say "i dont understand", and at that point the kid has to elaborate their notes. Feeding their opponent all the information he/she needs against that kids deck. It can be hurtful, and by not taking any notes at all, it wont effect any outcome at all.

One last thing i should say, if your in this to help other people you have to learn to view things from ALL perspectives and all case senarios. Dont put a blind eye to anything when it comes to helping other people. Its like that old song says. "The world don't move to the beat of just one drum. What might be right for you, may not be right for some."

I'm slightly confused by your situation you posted. Player 1 activated Dustshoot and wrote down that Player 2 had Solemn? Player 2 says "Huh?" Mind elaborating?

And being different just for differences sake is ****** logic. Unless you have a VERY compelling reason not to follow these guidelines, you should. No questions asked.

Here's a couple of tips based on my own experiences. I'm not sure how much they will help but... I'll list them anyways

Do not be afraid to attack: Lets say your opponent has 5 cards in their hand, one face down monster on the field, and one spell or trap on the field and you don't have any spell and trap destruction in your hand or on the field, but you do have one monster on the field that can attack. At this point, it might be better to attack despite the chances that your opponent has a mirror force face down. the reason for this is because they could have a monarch in their hand which will probably hurt you alot more than that mirror force would.

Keep you opponent on their toes: don't allow your play style to get too predictable. do what ever you can to keep your opponent guessing, even if this means trying a completely different play style than the one your comfortable with.

Archived