YCM Official - Compiled Guides of Fiction

Umbra

[spoiler=A Guide to Writing Stories - Submitted by Jovi]

(Note: Originally written by Tatsunoboshi Horoko)

The DO’s and DON’T DO’s of in the making of a story.

DO's

Space between each paragraph and half-paragraph of story. If it is spaced, it's easier for the readers to well...read.

Know your punctuation. Periods, commas, colons, semicolons. You know, those things.

Use a word processor to type your stories. You wouldn't believe how many typos and etc I've seen that easily could have been avoided by a simple highlight from Micro Word (Don't have Micro Word? Try Abiword. It’s free and simple to use. http://www.abisource.com/)

Do proofread. PROOFREAD, PROOFREAD, PROOFREAD. Remember, your Word Processor is a program, not an editor. If possible, try and get a beta reader for your stories.

Write short and sweet sentences. It’s not a crime to write short sentences, as long as they transvey what they are trying to transvey.

Avoid run-ons. Run-ons are the worst. I went to the store with Jack and Bob and we went to try and go for the last time today but we went out to the race track where Bob lost thirty dollars on the race horse with the blue sash and we..." No, don't do this.

Remember to differentiate between your dialogue and your internal dialogues. It really gets hard to tell what’s what in some cases. So remember to tell your internal dialogue apart from your regular (italicizing your internal, or parenthesis, etc etc...)

DON'T DO's

Don’t use chatspeak. For the love of god, PLEASE DON’T USE THIS. This and smileys, they tend to drive people to murder >.<

Don’t write your fic in a script format. Script format stories are not stories, they are scripts. At least TRY and use quotation marks, people.

Don’t load up on details. "Detail whoring" is commonplace in most fiction. It’s when you describe way too much and leave the reader confused and bored out of their wits. Tell people the important things with in-between for some minor, yet captivating details. Rest assured, I’m pretty sure that some people don’t want to read what color hair the character has if you have seen him for about 200+ episodes. I should know the best on this one; I was one at one time.

Don’t use archaic speak or speech that is just plain awkward: Use your thesaurus wisely. Things like “He nictitated at him dilatory.” Seriously, those big words just make your readers confused, not impressed. Don’t try and make your chapters full-length episodes. Does someone REALLY want to read that much in one sitting? Make your chapters flow well without being drawn out and wordy. Make them relatively like book chapters. This doesn’t mean you can’t write long chapters, but make sure there is a lot in there that can’t be taken to say…2 chapters instead.

Example(s)

Example(s) While I’m at it, let’s just go onto writing simple sentences.

This is an example of a sentence(s) that could have been something.

The dog ran to the mailman and bit him on the butt.

Short and sweet, but not very exciting. Let’s try…

The Doberman sprinted after the fleeing mailman, and sunk his canine teeth into his rear-end.

Now see, by adding a specific type of dog type and adding a bit more details, I made the sentence much more interesting.

But this doesn’t mean you do this with every sentence. Not every one needs to be “amplified” as such. Learn how to do this effectively, and you will be able to write descriptive passages much more effectively.

Dialogue is also another problem that plagues fic writers I see. They don’t seem to know HOW to do it. So let’s just look at an example of such.

There are effectively 3 ways authors write dialogue:

1) “Like this.”

2) He readied his fingers for typing. “Like this.”

3) “Or, you can try something different,” he said. “Like this.”

First one is for single dialogue.

Second one isn’t used that much, but if you can find a way to use it, do it. Just don’t use it as much as you would one or maybe three.

Third one is used as much as one in writing. It is used to separate 2 lines of dialogue. You can also use this method to space between dialogue (just replace the period at the end of “he said” in that example and add a comma.)

Oh yes, and there is another “Don’t Do” right here.

“Said” is the bane of a fic writer’s existences (Well, one of them at least.). It is okay to use “say” maybe once in a while to tell who is talking (afterwards, it should not be used again since we established who is speaking already). But this doesn’t mean you have to find replacement words for it, that’s just as bad.

Here, take these examples.

Typical fiction writer:

[align=center]“I can’t do it.” Bob said.

“Make it so.” Jane said.

“Then, that means that we have to start a new.” Bob said.

“No! It can’t be! It just can’t!” Jane said.

“Please! You make it far too hard to say what I have to say next!” Bob said.

[/align]

No, don’t do that. It’s just plain annoying. Once you have established who is talking, you have no need for the word “said” again. In fact, you don’t even need said half the time. Most of the time you can tell who is talking just by actions beforehand.

Also, don’t try and beware of those archaic words. “*****” and “ejaculated” are much different now than what they meant back then >.> Any more questions or any other things that you may need to contemplate can be found at this site, a much better guide than this if I do say so myself.

ADDITION 1: People in your fics and why you should ask permission.

Personally? I never found the fun in adding people to fan-fics. Actually, I think that's better when you draw it in comic form (well, Horoko himself makes comics to publish his fan fic :P). Now I know that a lot of you DO like adding people in your fan fics, so let me give you a little advice, okay?

ALWAYS MAKE SURE TO ASK PERMISSION BEFORE INCLUDING A PERSON OR PERSONS IN YOUR FAN FICTION.

Unless you know the person, the person won't mind, or you are inclusive, DON'T add someone in there "just because you can."

ADDITION 2: "Different language" versions of fics.

Running your fic through an online translator does not make you cool. If people who actually understand the language take a gander at these, they won't understand them. C'mon, English if you read and write it, just use that.

[spoiler= The Grammar-Nazi's Guide to the Galaxy - Submitted by Nitton]

Fanfiction is a broadly defined term for fiction about characters or settings written by admirers of the original work, rather than by the original creators. But enough quoting from Wikipedia now, let's get to business. I consider fanfictions a way of expressing your thoughts, and therefore try to make my fanfictions as deep as possible. However, I can understand if other people do not feel the same. Let's talk about writing a fanfiction.

Format

A format is the structure of the fanfiction, and the writer's most powerful tool to determine it's readability. Therefore, the Format is considered a necessarity for making fanfictions, and should therefore be included in any subjective or objective rating. Along with the general structure of the story, a fanfiction should also include the dialogue format in any rating.

Proper formatting

To improve your format, and therefore improve the general quality of your fanfiction, there are countless things you can do, depending on the current quality. Here are some things I suggest you to do. See the Example Spoiler at the bottom of this section of the article for examples on breaking these Guidelines.

1. Only use numbers when you are not writing them inside the story, but as a matter of description.

2. Use properly spaced out lines. Do not begin a new sentence of dialogue in the middle of a row.

3. Do not write in different colours. It only makes your fan-fic look childish and also makes it harder to read. (If you must use colours, do it for the effect rather than categorizing)

4. Do not use down-cut words, like & instead of ”and” or 1st instead of ”first”.

5. And, finally, stick to a single dialogue format style during the whole fanfiction. Do not change, even in duels. More about format styles below.

Dialogue

In my opinion, there are three kinds of formats for dialogue. The Person-Action-Dialogue format(PAD), the Dialogue-Person-Action format(DPA), and the Person-Action-Person:Dialogue(PAP:D) format. Below, I will provide examples of each format.

PAD

Michael(P) grunted(A).

- (D)Can't you carry anything, Anna? My feet are burning!

or

"(D)Can't you carry anything, Anna? My feet are burning!"

DPA

- (D)Excuse me, Mike, but I'm the one with the backpack here!, (P)Anne (A)shouted back at him.

or

"(D)Excuse me, Mike, but I'm the one with the backpack here!" (P)Anne (A)shouted back at him.

PAP:D

(P)Michael (A)sighed.

Michael:(P:D) But I've been carrying the firewood!

As you can see above, the three formats might resemble each other, but should all be viewed carefully. The PAD format can be used in a slower story, while the DPA is more active. The PAP:D is possibly the slowest, but the easiest to understand. Both PAD and DPA can be used with either dialogue lines (-) or quotation marks ("").(Thanks to Ixigo for this addition.)

[spoiler=Examples: How not to write]

[spoiler=Guideline 1]

Jerry drew 1 card.

- I'll play Dragon's Mirror, and Summon 5-headed dragon!

Nicholas revealed 1 of his face-downs.

- I activate 1 face-down card! 2-Pronged Attack!

[spoiler=Guideline 2]

Jerry drew 1 card. - I'll activate Dragon's Mirror, and Summon 5-headed dragon!

Nicholas revealed 1 of his face-downs. - I activate 1 face-down card! 2-Pronged Attack!

[spoiler=Guideline 3]

Jerry drew 1 card.- I'll summon Dragon's Mirror, and Summon 5-headed dragon!

Nicholas revealed 1 of his face-downs.- I activate 1 face-down card! 2-Pronged Attack!

[spoiler=Guideline 4]

Jerry drew 1 card.- I'll summon Dragon's Mirror & Summon 5-headed dragon!

Nicholas revealed 1 of his face-downs.- I activate 1 face-down card! 2-Pronged Attack!

[spoiler=Guideline 5]

Jerry drew 1 card.- I'll summon Dragon's Mirror & Summon 5-headed dragon!

Nicholas revealed 1 of his face-downs.Nicholas: I activate 1 face-down card! 2-Pronged Attack!

Description

Descriptions are necessary to any fanfiction, as it otherwise becomes a brickload of dialogue and nothing else. I've seen tons of fanfictions that have been like this, and they soon become boring to read. Without small sentences describing what the characters do, where they are, what happens in the environment around them, the story becomes a script. Literally if you use the PAP:D format. And if you think it's a script, you're treating your fanfic like a movie, which it isn't. In a movie, all the descriptions come by themselves. Now, you'll have to write them instead. It's as simple as pie. Now, I will give you examples on how a text can be changed by simply adding descriptions.

[spoiler=No Descriptions]

(Ronald: No cards on field, 3500 LP)

(Ben: Dread Swordsman (1400/1000) and a face-down spell/trap, 2000 LP)

Ronald: I summon Firebreath Golem (1800/0) and place two cards face-down. Your turn.

Ben: (draws a card) You don't think you can harm with that, right? I activate Polymerization! And with it, I'll combine Dread Swordsman (1400/1000) with the Skeletal Dragon (2900/2300) in my hand to summon Nightmare Dragon. (3200/3200) Now, my Dragon attacks your Golem.

(Firebreath Golem is destroyed, Ronald loses 3200 - 1800 = 1400 LP, drops to 2100)

[spoiler=Descriptions added]

Ronald smiled. The duel had gone easy so far, and he had easily been gaining advantage over Ben, step by step. Now, he was in the lead with thirty-five hundred Life Points compared to Ben's two thousand. However, his field was clear, while Ben controlled a Dread Swordsman and had a card face-down. This didn't bother Ronald much though; he knew he could finish this easily. He drew a card, and sighed. It wasn't exactly what he had hoped for, but he could deal with it.

- I summon Firebreath Golem! (1800/0)

As he placed the card on the Duel Disk, a roaring flame emerged from it. Ben took a frightened step back: it was an illusion as good as any. Soon, the flames shaped themselves into the vague form of a man, and hovered a few inches above the ground.

- And after that, I'll place a few cards face-down and end my turn.

Ben nodded, and drew a card. His eyes flashed and he smiled; Ronald became worried. Maybe Ben had drawn...

- You don't think you can harm with that, right? I activate Polymerization! And with it, I'll combine Dread Swordsman (1400/1000) with the Skeletal Dragon (2900/2300) in my hand to summon Nightmare Dragon. (3200/3200)

Ben placed a Spell on his Duel Disk, and Ronald simply stared as a large purple and orange whirl appeared in front of Ben. The Dread Swordsman turned around, and walked into the whirl. One of the cards in Ben's hand flashed, and a slender dragon with neither skin nor muscles, but simply a skeleton of a dragon flew into the whirl as well. The air around the whirl seemed to shiver as the whirl exploded into a million of colors and a new dragon emerged. Ronald almost fell to his feet; the Nightmare Dragon was truly a fearsome monster. With a long, slender body consisting of a purple mist with a clearly visible spine partially hidden beneath it. Ben smiled at Ronald.

- Now, Nightmare Dragon attacks your Firebreath Golem.

The dragon opened up it's mighty jaw, revealing a bottomless pit of darkness. As Ronald stared into it, he felt his very health being drained away. He felt as if the dragon was sucking him in somehow, trying to end his life. In front of him, he saw that the Golem reacted the same, only far worse. The golem had already lifted off the ground, traveling directly towards the bottomless pit that was the Nightmare Dragon's mouth. After a few seconds, the golem had vanished inside. The world itself seemed to rest as Ronald's Life Points fell to twenty-one hundred. He looked at the dragon, then at Ben, his old friend. Ben was grinning deeply, and in his eyes Ronald saw the same endless darkness that he had seen within the dragon's jaws. This was no ordinary duel anymore.

Writer Rank

During my time at this forum, I have arrived at this conclusion:

There are two kinds of writers at this forum. One kind that does not care about spelling or grammar, and one that does. Maybe the first kind just writes for their friends to read. Maybe they just write for the fun of it, and decide to focus on the plot rather than on S&G. This kind normally writes very short chapters, often around a page. The second kind are also divided into two separate categories; Those that actually use proper spelling and grammar, and those that aspire to. The first kind of these are qualified writers in my opinion; they generally make longer chapters and more interesting plots aswell. Also, they follow the rules of the English grammar. The second kind of these are on their way to becoming qualified writers, and have a wish to become such. I have ranked these kinds of writers from a scale of one to three, the Friend-Writer being rank three, the lowest rank, and the Qualified Writer as rank one. Below, I will list guidelines for each of these ranks.

Friend-Writers:

*Try to include good, if not flawless, S&G in your stories.

*Make the plot as interesting as possible.

*When/If you use characters from the original show and/or GX, do not change their decks or behaviour.

Aspiring Writers:

• Make the plot interesting, and include descriptions.

• Use as good S&G as you can. Do not cut down on the S&G just because you can't put the story up at the appointed time.

• When/If you use characters from the original show and/or GX, do not change their decks or behaviour.

Qualified Writers:

• If you have reached this rank, you do not need many of these guidelines. However, you should follow the General Advice listed below.

General Advice

This advice is given to all that aspire to write a fan-fiction.

• If you use characters from canon, do not alter their personalities.

• When you post a thread, make sure that you include part of the fanfiction in the first post. If there's nothing there to read, the thread is not a fan-fiction and will be moved to the appropriate section or locked.

• If you read someone else's fanfiction, and would like to comment or review it, any insults are unnecessary. However, feedback and constructive criticism are appreciated. (Thanks to Faint Brushfire for this one)

• Don't panic when you read this article. I don't expect everyone to be a Qualified Writer.

This isn't rules. This is SPARTA only a guide. Follow it then you're good' date=' dis-follow (a new word) it and you're....okay.

[/quote']

I follow the guide anyway and I remembered to mark my fan fic as PG13 'cuz there is use of the d-word and sh-word. If the f-word comes out (which I hope I don't have to use for humor), then it'll be amped to PG16.

People won't listen anyway to the guide anyway, but nice work Nitton.

I'm glad that you've made a collective guide on this. Might I submit the article on Mary Sues I've been working on?

Sure' date=' that's what guides are for.

People won't listen anyway to the guide anyway, but nice work Nitton.

I can only be credited for a minor part of this work, but thank you anyway. And I hope that those who need this will read it, even though I know it won't happen. But anyway.

The Bad Format:

"Blah Blah Blah" said Johnny.

"Attack mode" said Jane.

As I have noticed, some Fan Fics put "said" after every quotation. That is something you should not put as it is not how people like to read texts unless they are in books.

The Good Format:

Johnny: Blah Blah Blah!!

Jane: Attack mode!!!

You labeled these backwards.

It's not like there aren't synonyms for 'said'.

I've come to the conclusion that anything covered in Purple Dinosaur's guide is handled better in the other two: Therefore, it is removed from this list. Should you want to look it up for some bizarre reason I can't think of, it's somewhere in this forum; way back I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...

Mary Sues are never fun. I think a really good (but obscure) example would be Arya from that Eragon series...

Excuse me' date=' but I really don't have any idea what Mary Sue is. Care to explain it to me?

[/quote']

A Mary Sue is an over-idolized or cliched character, usually based around the author, and acts as an outlet for wish fulfillment. Check here for a better definition.

Well, Rinne, that's part of it.

Mary Sue can also be applied to characters whose characterization and personality is unusually flat and dull - such characters often trade distinctive qualities for beauty, popularity, and remarkable intelligence that may seem unusually placed in the story.

For a male counterpart, I've heard of Gary Sue (or Stu).

I must admit, I have been guilty of creating at least one Gary Stu in an RPG, and my friend has made a Mary Sue.

The only thing I can defend us with is that they're not nice or friendly, and rarely help anyone except themselves - they're part of the antihero cast rather than supervillains...

Although, that whole 'exotic name, superhuman beauty, exotic background, and dramatic past' really hit me hard - it sounds like Adrienne all over!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

So I've got two questions for the fan-fic that I am currently writing.

1. The first chapter is between two people, like a riding duel from the 5Ds universe. One of the main characters that is used throughout the story ends up winning in one turn. Is this a case of god-modding, or is this acceptable for this type of fanfic?

2. I use descriptions here and there, primarily during the duels when it shoud be implemented. So here is a situation that I currently am using: I use descriptions for the short moves, like placing one monster and one face-down and such, but for the long, complicated moves, I leave it out. Example:

Short: “I Normal Summon “Dance Princess of the Ice Barrier”. (Level 4/1700 ATK/900 DEF) And then I’ll end my turn.”

As he did so, a magician appeared on the field. She was dressed in blue, and it suddenly grew very cold in the air.

Long: “I activate the effect of “The Fabled Chawa” from my Hand. By discarding 1 “Fabled” monster from my hand, I’m allowed to Special Summon him. Come out, my pet! (Level 1/200 ATK/100 DEF) In addition, since “The Fabled Ganashia” was discarded to the Graveyard by a card effect, I’m allowed to Special Summon him as well! (Level 3/1800 ATK/1000 DEF) Now I tune Level 1 “The Fabled Chawa” with Level 3 “The Fabled Ganashia” in order to Synchro Summon “The Fabled Unicore”! (Level 4/2300 ATK/1000 DEF) But it gets better. See, I haven’t even Normal Summoned yet, which is what I am going to do now! Come out, “Fabled Raven”! (Level 2/1300 ATK/1000 DEF) My Raven has quite the ability. See, by sending a number of cards from my Hand to the Graveyard, “Fabled Raven” gets 400 extra ATK and 1 extra level for every card I send. So I send “Sillva, Warlord of Dark World” from my Hand to the Graveyard in order to boost Raven’s ATK and level! (2/1300/1000>>3/1700/1000) And since “Sillva, Warlord of Dark World” was sent to the Graveyard via card effect, she is Special Summoned to my field! (Level 5/2300 ATK/1400 DEF) Now I’ll tune again, with the Level 3 “Fabled Raven” and Level 5 “Sillva, Warlord of Dark World”. Watch as the mighty struggle between lightness and darkness descends onto the battlefield, as these monsters struggle for sovereignty over the Dark World! Synchro Summon, Second Crown, “Fabled Valkyrus”!” (Level 8/2900 ATK/1700 DEF)

Note two things: This was all in one turn, and there's not a single descritpion in there anywhere. Since it would take up too much space anyway trying to fit in descriptions, would it be advisable to just leave it out, or throw one or two in there ocassionally?

For the first, I'd say that as long as you don't give the character OTK's in every single duel, it's fine. Having a protagonist that can legitimately curbstomp their opponents every now and then would be refreshing.

For the second, there's no such thing as "too much description", really, unless you're going into purple prose on the levels of Oscar Wilde. That, fortunately, doesn't seem to be the case here. Describe what's important in the duel - monsters as they're summoned, effects resolving, other effects and mannerisms going on. Since it's a Turbo Duel, that gives you far more things you could do.

The main thing to remember is that duels are just another part of your fanfic, and deserve to be treated as such. Recall from the YGO animes and mangas that duels are, as a matter of fact, a pretty big deal, and they deserve as much attention as they can get. That means you, the author, will have to give them that attention. A duel can go from mediocre to breathtaking simply through description, if it's used to perfection.

1: God modding only applies to RPing.

There's nothing really stopping you from making a super powerful duelist guy who OTK's every duel. Just... most people reading it would find it boring. Villains are only a threat if there's a chance the protagonist might fail. If he's established as being Mr. OTK, it's not interesting that he wins a duel. If he loses a duel, then it's like 'what was the point of building him up to be a big super strong guy when he loses to a random scrub'?

tl;dr - Everything in moderation.

2: Describe what's important in terms of the plot. Leave out what isn't. As the author, it's up to you to decide what is and isn't appropriate. There isn't one surefire way to do it, a binary "yes/no" here. It depends on what you want to accomplish with the duel.

However, with that second example there it'd be nice if you put a few spaces between the text. Even if it's all dialogue, hit enter/return and make some room so it's easier to read.

ON A COMPLETELY UNRELATED NOTE!!!

I really, really like the Red Letter Media Star Wars Reviews. They give you a good idea for some of the basics of storytelling, character developing, and pacing, and they're pretty hilarious to boot.

WARNING! They're extremely vulgar (and really long too)

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-1-the-phantom-menace/

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-ii-attack-of-the-clones/

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-iii-revenge-of-the-sith/

Archived