Favourite Anime and Manga

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since this thread is bumped

Baccano and Shirobako are still my top two. Every time I rewatch I only become more and more fond of them both. Kara no Kyoukai's movie 5 is probably still my third favorite but after a recent rewatch somehow it did not feel as amazing as before and that was somewhat disappointing. Still no solid list beyond that.

• 2 weeks later...

My list changed drastically again, and it'll definitely change more as I get through a few more important re-watches.

1. Monster (10/10)

2. Cowboy Bebop (10/10)

3. Ping Pong: The Animation (10/10)

4. Paranoia Agent (9.5/10)

5. Now and Then, Here and There (9.5/10 or 9.75/10)

5. Berserk (9.5/10)

7. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (9.25/10)

8. Yu Yu Hakusho (9/10)

9. Bokurano (9/10)

10. Texhnolyze (9/10)

My list changed drastically again, and it'll definitely change more as I get through a few more important re-watches.

10. Texhnolyze (9/10)

Fuck yeah im not the only one who loves Texhnolyze. Havent finished it myself (got up to episode 18) but as is its really easily leaning on being an all time favorite.

Should maybe post my top 10 or 15 or whatever sometime but I dont wanna right now since my Plan to Watch is fucking overflowing and I gotta get through a bunch of shit

• 1 month later...

Since it's been even longer since my manga, nice and top 15 for no reason:

1. Hayate the Combat Butler
  2. Negima! Magister Negi Magi
  3. AKB49: The Rules Against Love
  4. Love Hina
  5. Magic Knight Rayearth
  6. Arata: The Legend
  7. Boku Girl
  8. Love and Lies
  9. Minami-ke
  10. Blood Lad
  11. Kagerou Days
  12. Yumekui Merry
  13. Saki
  14. Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer
  15. A.I. Love you

A lot of it doesn't make sense considering how behind I am, but bolded is the finished ones.

Since it's been even longer since my manga, nice and top 15 for no reason:

1. Hayate the Combat Butler
  2. Negima! Magister Negi Magi

Haven't seen someone read these since DL. I still need to get to Hayate, but I read Negima back in the day and it was pretty entertaining. Shame about its canned ending though.

Are you reading UQ Holder?

Are you reading UQ Holder?

I read and really liked about the first 2 volumes maybe, and then haven't heard much good since. Probably won't stop me from finding some enjoyment myself, but I also just need to actually get around to it.

Well hey, it was him that got me to try Negima.

I read and really liked about the first 2 volumes maybe, and then haven't heard much good since. Probably won't stop me from finding some enjoyment myself, but I also just need to actually get around to it.

Well hey, it was him that got me to try Negima.

It turned into more of a Negima 2 than being a stand-alone. It can still sort of stand by itself, but it even added the subtitle Magister Negi Magi 2 to it when it switched magazines. 

Figures, he's a big Ken Akamatsu guy. He also showed me Love Hina, which was my first foray into harems.

It turned into more of a Negima 2 than being a stand-alone. It can still sort of stand by itself, but it even added the subtitle Magister Negi Magi 2 to it when it switched magazines.

Figures, he's a big Ken Akamatsu guy. He also showed me Love Hina, which was my first foray into harems.

Oh it changed magazines huh? Heard about the subtitle though, does make me want to get on that just a bit more.

• 2 weeks later...

Suddenly a Yui post with my top three favorites because I can't be bothered to go through all the stuff I rated 9/10 on MAL and figure out my favorites from there. Plus an honorable mention because why the hell not.

[spoiler=#3]77831.jpg

Please don't make me type the full name ;~;

I've always kinda lowkey liked the isekai type of stories (Overlord was what solidified my enjoyment of them) and this is everything I could want both out of that and a hilarious fantasy adventure. Our hero - the wise-cracking, not-very-heroic Kazuma - was a shut-in gamer just like probably anyone who sat down and decided "imma watch this whole show" and he eventually left his house the one time to get some game on release. And then he died like a jabroni to a totally unnecessary death. The outside world is scary, folks. So he's dead and confronted with the goddess Aqua, who says she wants to send him to a fantasy world (just like the ones in games!) to save the world from a great evil, and he can take one thing with him. The catch being Aqua was a total jabroni during the convo so Kazuma decided to spite her by bringing her with him. And she's about as useful as your typical healer...if the healer lives in Australia and is playing via dial-up. So not at all.

But that's okay because the overwhelmingly underwhelming Kazuma and his useless sidekick Aqua aren't alone in this big bad world! Their party also has Megumin, the chuunibyou mage who can only cast one spell a day (not to mention being best girl by far), and Darkness, a crusader who's a bit too eager to be the group tank and get the sheet kicked out of her. Our dysfunctional party can barely even take care of themselves most of the time, let alone save the world, and that's their charm. If you want a serious fantasy adventure, KonoSuba isn't the right show for you. If you want to laugh your ass off at the party's misadventures, on the other hand, this is exactly what you'd be looking for. Plus they get to do really cool sheet sometimes, and even that badassery is perfectly woven in with the nonstop comedy of this show.

Should probably watch the second season soon actually >.>;

[spoiler=#2]72445.jpg

Did you like K-ON? Yeah? Cool. Do you wish it had a bigger and better cast, solid plot, and yuri undertones so powerful that they border on overtones? Look no further.

This was actually a secret santa gift I received last summer, and I wrote a quick review after I'd finished about just how amazing this was to watch. I expected just another K-ON with more people and different instruments, and every expectation I had for it with that in mind was just blown the funk away. Everything is great. The animation is great, the soundtrack is great, the first season's OP is godly (still need to get around to the second season as with KonoSuba), and the cast is...I've watched some 60-ish anime all with their own distinct casts, and none of them came close to Euphonium's cast. Character development, drama, and more is everywhere with this, and it's written and paced just right. To be honest, I'm certain this is actually a better anime than my #1 by far, but I just like watching the #1 more despite how amazing Euphonium is. If you haven't watched it, do it. You don't know what you're missing.

[spoiler=#1]

The below all applies to both seasons unless specified. I just prefer the second season's OP.

So I mostly have to blame/thank Parenthesis here since his prodding is what got me to eventually watch To Aru. I'll be honest, Index is good, but it's just "good". I've always thought the plot was kind of a mess and the anime goes through arcs way too fast, plus I didn't care much for a lot of the characters surrounding Touma. Now Railgun on the other hand. Railgun I can get behind. Well-animated, makes its arcs last while also getting a ton of mileage out of each in terms of plot and stuff, and despite taking place not only in the same places as Index, but at the same time, the cast and story are a lot different by virtue of Misaka being the focus instead of Touma. Did I mention the waifus? Railgun has waifus for days. Plus a good husbando or two if you prefer those. The waifu I eventually settled on picking as the definitive one waifu is actually in this show (not to be confused with best girl who is unquestionably Misaka).

I'd like to talk about the actual setting or plot of Railgun, but in the interest of trying not to spoil anything, I'll make it quick. Railgun focuses on the life and goings-on of Misaka "Railgun" Mikoto, one of only seven Level 5 espers in Academy City, and she's actually the third-strongest in the entire city! It's not just a show about "overpowered protagonist roflstomps everything" though. It's part-action part-slice-of-life part-comedy, and it blends the three together pretty damn well. If waifus, superpowers, and girls who wear shorts under their skirts are your thing, give it a shot. Do so with caution if you must though; the last two or three people I suggested Railgun to didn't like it that much ._.

They're obviously scrubs

[spoiler=Honorable Mention]5123.jpg

I'm getting tired of all this typing so imma make this one quick. TTGL is the first anime I can recall watching as an actual anime and enjoying. Sure when I was smol I'd watch stuff 4kids aired like Pokémon or Yu-Gi-Oh, but those were marketed to the wee ones more as western cartoons than anything from Japan, so I'm hesitant to say those counted, especially since to Smol Yui the concept of anime just didn't exist. Back to TTGL, an irl friend (yes I used to have those) showed me the show and we watched it and it was great. Since I don't count the 4kids stuff, TTGL was my first anime; my first step into the world of weebs, waifus, and big-ass robots, and to this day, I both respect and love it in that capacity. I don't think it's as great as any of the above, nor would I rather watch it over any of those, but it holds a special place in my heart.

Suddenly a Yui post with my top three favorites because I can't be bothered to go through all the stuff I rated 9/10 on MAL and figure out my favorites from there. Plus an honorable mention because why the hell not.

[spoiler=#3]77831.jpg

Please don't make me type the full name ;~;

I've always kinda lowkey liked the isekai type of stories (Overlord was what solidified my enjoyment of them) and this is everything I could want both out of that and a hilarious fantasy adventure. Our hero - the wise-cracking, not-very-heroic Kazuma - was a shut-in gamer just like probably anyone who sat down and decided "imma watch this whole show" and he eventually left his house the one time to get some game on release. And then he died like a jabroni to a totally unnecessary death. The outside world is scary, folks. So he's dead and confronted with the goddess Aqua, who says she wants to send him to a fantasy world (just like the ones in games!) to save the world from a great evil, and he can take one thing with him. The catch being Aqua was a total jabroni during the convo so Kazuma decided to spite her by bringing her with him. And she's about as useful as your typical healer...if the healer lives in Australia and is playing via dial-up. So not at all.

But that's okay because the overwhelmingly underwhelming Kazuma and his useless sidekick Aqua aren't alone in this big bad world! Their party also has Megumin, the chuunibyou mage who can only cast one spell a day (not to mention being best girl by far), and Darkness, a crusader who's a bit too eager to be the group tank and get the sheet kicked out of her. Our dysfunctional party can barely even take care of themselves most of the time, let alone save the world, and that's their charm. If you want a serious fantasy adventure, KonoSuba isn't the right show for you. If you want to laugh your ass off at the party's misadventures, on the other hand, this is exactly what you'd be looking for. Plus they get to do really cool sheet sometimes, and even that badassery is perfectly woven in with the nonstop comedy of this show.

Should probably watch the second season soon actually >.>;

[spoiler=#2]72445.jpg

Did you like K-ON? Yeah? Cool. Do you wish it had a bigger and better cast, solid plot, and yuri undertones so powerful that they border on overtones? Look no further.

This was actually a secret santa gift I received last summer, and I wrote a quick review after I'd finished about just how amazing this was to watch. I expected just another K-ON with more people and different instruments, and every expectation I had for it with that in mind was just blown the funk away. Everything is great. The animation is great, the soundtrack is great, the first season's OP is godly (still need to get around to the second season as with KonoSuba), and the cast is...I've watched some 60-ish anime all with their own distinct casts, and none of them came close to Euphonium's cast. Character development, drama, and more is everywhere with this, and it's written and paced just right. To be honest, I'm certain this is actually a better anime than my #1 by far, but I just like watching the #1 more despite how amazing Euphonium is. If you haven't watched it, do it. You don't know what you're missing.

[spoiler=#1]

The below all applies to both seasons unless specified. I just prefer the second season's OP.

So I mostly have to blame/thank Parenthesis here since his prodding is what got me to eventually watch To Aru. I'll be honest, Index is good, but it's just "good". I've always thought the plot was kind of a mess and the anime goes through arcs way too fast, plus I didn't care much for a lot of the characters surrounding Touma. Now Railgun on the other hand. Railgun I can get behind. Well-animated, makes its arcs last while also getting a ton of mileage out of each in terms of plot and stuff, and despite taking place not only in the same places as Index, but at the same time, the cast and story are a lot different by virtue of Misaka being the focus instead of Touma. Did I mention the waifus? Railgun has waifus for days. Plus a good husbando or two if you prefer those. The waifu I eventually settled on picking as the definitive one waifu is actually in this show (not to be confused with best girl who is unquestionably Misaka).

I'd like to talk about the actual setting or plot of Railgun, but in the interest of trying not to spoil anything, I'll make it quick. Railgun focuses on the life and goings-on of Misaka "Railgun" Mikoto, one of only seven Level 5 espers in Academy City, and she's actually the third-strongest in the entire city! It's not just a show about "overpowered protagonist roflstomps everything" though. It's part-action part-slice-of-life part-comedy, and it blends the three together pretty damn well. If waifus, superpowers, and girls who wear shorts under their skirts are your thing, give it a shot. Do so with caution if you must though; the last two or three people I suggested Railgun to didn't like it that much ._.

They're obviously scrubs

[spoiler=Honorable Mention]5123.jpg

I'm getting tired of all this typing so imma make this one quick. TTGL is the first anime I can recall watching as an actual anime and enjoying. Sure when I was smol I'd watch stuff 4kids aired like Pokémon or Yu-Gi-Oh, but those were marketed to the wee ones more as western cartoons than anything from Japan, so I'm hesitant to say those counted, especially since to Smol Yui the concept of anime just didn't exist. Back to TTGL, an irl friend (yes I used to have those) showed me the show and we watched it and it was great. Since I don't count the 4kids stuff, TTGL was my first anime; my first step into the world of weebs, waifus, and big-ass robots, and to this day, I both respect and love it in that capacity. I don't think it's as great as any of the above, nor would I rather watch it over any of those, but it holds a special place in my heart.

Glad my Secret Santa gift ended up being a hit with you. Euph really was a treat.

Although I hear the yuri undertones were only intended to show a deep friendship...which I don't think worked out at all. Everyone and their mother had the same vibe, so it's weird to hear they weren't going for that.

Archived