Official Anime Manga Recommendation Thread

Are you alone? Do you feel like reading something? Or watching an anime along the lines of that? Then this is the perfect place! Welcome to the Recommendation Thread! This thread contains comments, archives, and reviews on manga/anime that YCM users either love, or just plainly adore. If you want to be interested in some sort of manga/anime that is a specific genre, then look in the spoilers. I hope this is convenient for you! You can also recommend manga/anime yourself. Just give a description, or full description of what the anime/manga is like, but no too big like the story line. I'll then post it under your name in the archive library. You can also leave short comments about anime/manga as well. So enjoy reading!

Action
[spoiler=Code Geass(nominated by MKS)]
Code Geass takes place in an alternate universe where the American Revolution failed, Napoleon won his final battle, and other stuff changed. It takes place in our 2065, but their calendar says 2010 because they use a different calendar system... got really off track there... ANYWAY!!!! Code Geass is about a royal Prince of Britannia, Lelouch Vi Britannia, who rebels against the Britannian empire which rules 1/3 of the world. the other 2/3 are ruled by the Chinese Federation and the Euro Universe. The Mechas are called Knightmare Frames and come in different generations, in the anime the 4th-7th generation Knightmares are shown. in the manga all generations, 1st-7th, are shown, but I still prefer the anime... ANYWAY! Got off track again... Lelouch hates his father because he banished him and his younger sister Nunnaly after the murder of their mother which Lelouch blames his father for. His father being the Emperor. Now A mysterious girl named C.C.(Pronounced C2) gives Lelouch a power called Geass, the power of the king. It's an eye power that give Lelouch the ability to command anyone to do whatever he says only once. Throughout this series Lelouch causes great trouble for the Britannian empire and his Japanese friend, Suzaku, Joined the Britannian Empire!

[spoiler=Bleach (nominated by Byakuya Kuchiki)]

A 16 year old named Ichigo (Strawberry) Kurosaki never new he could see ghosts, until he meets a soul reaper, or shinigami name Rukia Kuchiki. they are a race of grim reaper like beings who's puropse is to get rid of bad, monstrous spirits, called hollows. But right after, a hollow whom Rukia was sent to trace attacks Ichigo's family, and its up to Ichigo to defeat it, but Rukia decides to entrust Ichigo with half of her Soul reaper powers, but accidentally takes it all and becomes a full shinigami. Now Ichigo must fulfill his duties as a shinigami and learn from them.

i've just started watching the anime bleach, it is reallyy good definatly recommend it highly
-Soulciety

[spoiler=Dragonball a/Z/GT (nominated by SonikFan)]
All great Animes/Mangas, about some guy named Son Goku, and his friends. And there are like 13 movies about Z. And Z is the best. GT is the worst. And they are all pretty awesome.

Basically, Son Goku goes around, beating up guys like this Midget Emperor Pilaf, a Alien named Piccolo, and this Saiyan named Vegeta. Turns out Goku is a Saiyan.

[spoiler=Naruto (nominated by ~Soulciety~)]
I don't care what anyone says, the plot his highly developed through learning of characters, goals, reasons for goals, stances on beliefs, views on society etc. topped off with a thorough explanation on how exactly they all have their abilities unlike say the likes of DBZ. The characters are funny, and range in personality, i'm also loving the fight scenes in this, most animes the charactrs will battle and get hit heaps of times, what i like in this anime is they have to not only be offensively strong but more defensive then anything as one stab could to their death, my favourite anime/manga.
Adventure

[spoiler=Berserk (nominated by usetheforcechan)]
It's about About a guy that wield a HUUGE friekin' sword and goes around killing countless monsters.
His purpose in life is to kill his former best friend that has rape his girlfriend in front of his eyes.

His former best friend is now have obtain the Demon Gods power and pretty much invincible to any attack.

Did i mention the main character only have one eye left, one arm, possess a mini-arm cannon and cool looking wolf-shaped black armor?

[spoiler=Naruto (nominated by SonikFan)]
Our main characters are ninja... Wait, everybodys a ninja. Our hero Naruto Uzimaki has to go through many challenges with his friends, Sasuke Uchiha, Sakura Haruno, Kiba Inuzuka, Hinata Hyuuga, Shino Aburame, Gaara, Rock Lee, and many, many more...

Oh, and the first villian is Zabuza. And he has a huge sword.

Adventure
[spoiler=Full Metal Alchemist (nominated by Byakuya Kuchiki)]

Alchemy is the science of which matter can be transmuted into another relative matter by bonding factors, of math, science, and art. However, nothing in the alchemy world can be gained without sacrifices. When Edward and Alphonse Elric's mother dies, they decide to use alchemy to bring her back to life, but fails as human transmutation is illegal and dangerous, for it destroy Edward's left leg, and destroyed Alphonse's entire body. However, Edward survived, and sacrificed his right arm to place Al's soul in a full armor, while his arm and leg are placed in full armor. Now he works for the military, and his goal is to find the Philosopher's Stone, a magic stone which is believed can restore Edward and Alphonse back to their original bodies. But, there are some people who want that stone for themselves in an adventure into finding it and destroying evil.

-I know this is an old post, but try FMA Brotherhood. It is extremely gripping. As an added bonus, it is very well animated.
-ADHD-Guitar

[spoiler=One Piece (nominated by ~Soulciety~)]
this is my second favourite of the manga i've read, one of the reasosn it's for its uniqueness in the whole "pirate" theme, it's hilarious to watch and read and is topped off with cool fight scenes, a lovable main character and the slow build of a team of friends, the plot is also extensive and well developed.

Comedy
[spoiler=Beelzebub (nominated by Phantom Roxas)]
Oga Tatsumi finds a strange green-haired baby. This baby is apparently the son of Satan, and must be raised by Oga until he is old enough to destroy the world. That plot is mostly underplayed, as Oga is part of a delinquent school and so we see his school life and my hilarity ensues. Comedy.

Drama

Fantasy
[spoiler=Fairy Tail (nominated by Phantom Roxas)]
From the author of Rave Master. Lucy Heartfilia wants to join the infamous guild Fairy Tail. In the series, guilds a formed from countless mages, and the male lead (And obviously the true protagonist) was trained by a dragon and thus and manipulate and even eat fire. Action, adventure, and fantasy. A contender for my top favorite manga.

[spoiler=Rave Master (nominated by Phantom Roxas)]
Haru Glory inherits the mystical power of Rave and the Ten Commandments sword, and must set sail from Garage Island to defeat Demon Card. Explosives fights, fun characters, and a nice plot. Features action, adventure, fantasy, and romance. As another work by Hiro Mashima, it's a contender for my favorite manga.

[spoiler=Darker than Black (nominated my Jester Head)]
Ten years ago, an inscrutable and abnormal territory known as Hell's Gate appeared in Tokyo, altering the sky and wreaking havoc on the landscape. The real stars disappeared, replaced by false stars. During this time, people possessing various special abilities emerged, each capable of different supernatural feats - these are known as Contractors. Each fake star has a corresponding Contractor, which reacts to their activities. As such, Contractors are usually identified by their star's Messier catalogue number. Kept secret from the masses, these individuals are known to murder in cold blood, smothering unnecessary emotions with logic and rationale. Their incredible abilities, however, are gained at the cost of their humanity - Contractors are thus named because of an involuntary compulsion to "pay the price" each time their power is used, which can range from eating particular foods and completing meaningless tasks, to self-harm and having their bodies change in peculiar ways. Various nations and organizations around the world train and utilize Contractors as spies and assassins, resulting in violent battles for valuable objects and information. Following the disastrous Heaven's War, United States lost her dominant position as superpower to a mysterious organization named Syndicate. The story revolves around a Chinese contractor codenamed Hei as he undertakes various espionage and assassination missions in Tokyo under the direction of the aforementioned Syndicate.

[spoiler=Neon Genesis Evangelion]
(Many genres, most likely Action.)

It is 2015. 15 years ago, the Second Impact took place - a devastating "meteor crash" in Antarctica that melted all of its ice and instantly wiped off half of mankind and corrupted nature. Tokyo III, the new capital of Japan after the original Tokyo was submerged by the rising sea level, is assaulted by a giant behemoth codenamed Sachiel, one of the Angels ("Shito" in Japanese version), mysterious beasts invincible against all normal weapons, destined since the Second Impact to one day assault the city. The only thing that can stop them are the Evangelions, humanoid machines built by the organization NERV, with powers that match those of the Angels. Shinji Ikari (main character), 14 years old, is elected as the pilot of Evangelion-01, which has been in a hurry assigned to destroy Sachiel and bring back a short peace to Tokyo III until the fourth Angel strikes.

The story involves mild gore and some fan service (everyone whoops), a handful of plot devices named after Christian beliefs, badass characters like Gendo Ikari, Shinji's father, and tsundere girls. Perhaps most awesome of all is the plot itself, so interesting. A problem is that you can't understand everything even after watching up to episode 26, however. The last two episodes are crap and make no sense. Watch the original movie instead. But then again, the deepest thing here is that even if you look through the movie too, most likely you can't comprehend it still. This is due to the plot that is so confusing and complex. But it does give you a good view of human stupidity and all the other things people love.

Oh, and how could I forget? It has the awesomest OP ever in anime history. "Cruel Angel's Thesis".

Horror
[spoiler=Uzumaki (nominated by usetheforcechan)]
It's a story about a remote town that have been cursed by unknown force. Because of that, almost all the town resident suffer a strange phenomenon like everyone is starting to obsessed with spiral form, dead rising from the graveyard, people starting to turn into a huge snail, freak tornadoes rampaging across the town, pregnant woman starting to drink bloods, and other kind of strange and sick stuff that somehow related to the spiral.

[spoiler=Franken Fran (nominated by SonikFan)]
About a girl who operates on people, and will do anything, ANYTHING, to insure the patient gets out of it alive, one way or another. Oh, and one person she operates on gets turned into a factory, and gives birth to the flying spahgetti monster. And the main character's name is Fran. And she looks like Frankenstien. And according to TV Tropes, she's a lesbian.

[spoiler=Hell Girl (nominated by MKS)]
Plot: Many different tales of tortured souls about people with horrible lives that find a website that allows them to take revenge on the one that makes their lives awful. The message is then sent to a girl known as Enma Ai, who comes to the person and explains the penalty of taking revenge on a human soul, when one person is cursed, two graves are dug.

My Comment: It sounds unoriginal and boring but it is actually a really good, short, anime! It's 25 episodes i think and it's something interesting to watch! not as good as code geass, though nothing is.

Mystery

Romance

[spoiler=Bakuman (nominated by Phantom Roxas)]
Mashiro Moritaka can't confess to the girl of his dreams. One day, he is confronted by top student Takagi Akito, who wants him to draw manga for him. Mashiro agrees, and the two set out to create a manga. When the two go to tell Mashiro's crush Azuki about this, Mashiro accidentally proposes to her. Slice of life and romance.

Sports

[spoiler=Slam Dunk (nominated by usetheforcechan)]
From the creator of Vagabond. About a delinquent high school students that found something worth beside fighting... Basket Ball. There are LOTS of comedy and the author step-by-step teach the reader about Basket Ball history, rules, gameplay, and other in a fun and funny way.

Very funny. You should read it.

[spoiler=Eyeshield 21 (nominated by Fusion X. Denver)]
One of my faves is a sports manga called Eyeshield 21.

It's about this high school loser named Kobayakawa Sena, he's been bullied for all his school life into doing favors for his bullies. However, after performing said errands over the years, his speed became top-notch and attracted the attention of the American Football team at his high school, which consists of a whopping two members. They recruit Sena, then the manga outlines the growth of the team as they compete in various American Football matches to reach the Christmas Bowl. It's a good read with likable characters, funny comedy and seriousness mixed in at the right times, and finished around a year ago or so with 333 chapters. Even if one isn't into football, I think they'll love Eyeshield 21 regardless.

SchoolGirl
[spoiler=Fruit Basket (nominated by usetheforcechan)]
The series tells the story about an orphan girl who, after meeting with a member of Sohma family, learns that thirteen members of the Sohma family are possessed by the animals of the Chinese Zodiac and are cursed to turn into their animal forms if they are embraced (hug) by anyone of the opposite sex. (ex: A Tiger-possessed male Sohma WILL turns into a REAL Tiger if he hug by any female. And yes, there are some Dragon-possessed Sohma member.)

At the beginning of the series, it is funny and there are a lot of drama comedy. Near the end of the series, it was all sad and heart-breaking, tears dropping moments. The ending is super sad.

Other Anime/Manga comments

I need a new anime to watch, i've been watching Hellsing a little and i don't mind it but it doesn't really stand out as an anime for me, here are the animes i Like:

* Death Note
* Naruto
* One Piece
* DBZ

----------

My top three manga right now are:
Vinland Saga - Action/Historical
Thorfinn is son to one of the Viking's greatest warriors, but when his father is killed in battle by the mercenary leader Askeladd, he swears his intent to have revenge. Thorfinn joins Askeladd's group in order to challenge him to a duel, and ends up caught in the middle of a war for the crown of England.

Historie - Action/Historical
The story is about the boyhood of Eumenes, who would later become Alexander the Great's secretarial officer. One night he dreamed of a mysterious lady and the story begins.

Ares - Action
The story takes place in an era similar to that of ancient Rome in a country called Cronos. It follows a group known as the Temple Mercenaries. In particular, it is about Ares, Michael and Baroona, three young warriors with mysterious pasts and surpassing skills...

Vinland Saga is 68 chapters in with a 54 chapter prologue. Most of the action so far in in the prologue. Historie has a 34 chapter flash back starting at chapter 5 telling the past of Eumenes. Ares is is all about battles, war, and the friendship of the characters.

------------

It's a conspiracy. And he, Satou Tatsuhiro, 22 years old, knows it. 3 years have passed since he found out, that the NHK (Nihon Hikikomori Kyokai) is behind it all, a secret company, whose only plan is to seclude him from the outside world and bring him misery and despair, basically making him a so called "Hikikomori", someone who never leaves the house and fears the contact with other people. Satou has no job, no friends, canceled university and lives his life as a NEET ("Not in Employment, Education or Training"). But one day, he get's offered a cure for his "disease": A strange young girl asks him to participate in a "project", that will cure him from all his fears. This, however, includes to go outside...

Welcome to the NHK is unique. It doesn't fit into any scheme, and yet it fits into nearly everything. It contains a lot of Drama and Comedy, yet it also has a Slice of Life touch, works with psychological problems and has some Romance in it as well. The focus lies on the characters, their development and relationship. And hell, I've never seen characters in an Anime who are that convincing. Everybody has mistakes, as real humans have, and you can see this from the very beginning. Each character acts with a purpose in mind, following their very own goal, but those aren't as apparent as you would think. The story, overall, is great and lives from the fleshed out characters that deliver it. Turns and twists can be found in every episode, and even though you sometimes get that "Slice of Life" feeling, it never get's the upper hand, letting you believe with ease that you have a continuous story in front of you, that has a beginning, a middle and an end. You also get to know a little bit about the human psyche, why people act how the do, and even bringing Freud in once in a while.
The art is okay I guess, I've never been into it that much, but it works here. What really stands out, however, is the score. From your typical cheary anime opening to very dramatic tunes, everything is included, and everything feels natural and really bumps up the atmosphere.

All I can say is: This is, in my opinion, the best Anime ever made, and I highly recommend watching it smile.gif

------------------------
I can recommend practically anything by Urasawa Naoki. That man is a genius.

------------------------
Here's a good action manga Katekyo Hitman Reborn! really awsome manga BTW

------------------------
these is my Reccomendation see them any time

Action----------------------------
Code Geass R1+2
Ikkitousen 1~4
Plawres Sanshirou *80's anime but great*
Soul Eater
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Zoids Shin Seiki/Zero
NeedLess
Fate/Stay Night
D.Gray-man
Afro Samurai Resurrection
Gun x Sword
Claymore
Adventure----------------------------
one pice
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Kino no Tabi: the Beautiful World *my fav anime of all th time*
Casshern Sins
Spice and Wolf 1+2
Hunter X Hunter
Martian Successor NADESICO
Ponyo
Crest of the Stars [4Animes]
Comedy----------------------------
Nyan Koi!
school rumbil
Ranma 1/2
Hyakko
Gintama
Hayate no Gotoku! {COL}
Drama----------------------------
Clannad
Kamisama Kazoku
Kanon 2006
Baccano
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Fantasy----------------------------
Zero no Tsukaima 1-3
Ichiban Ushiro no Daimao
Mystery ----------------------------
Lupin III
Conan
Romance----------------------------
Rec
Ah! My Goddess
Toradora
The Ocean Waves
Hatsukoi Limited
SchoolGirl----------------------------
K-On!
Haruhi 1+2+Film
Kannagi

Oh i forgat
yu-gi-oh
King of anime

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About a guy that wield a HUUGE friekin' sword and goes around killing countless monsters.

His purpose in life is to kill his former best friend that has rape his girlfriend in front of his eyes.

His former best friend is now have obtain the Demon Gods power and pretty much invincible to any attack.

Did i mention the main character only have one eye left, one arm, possess a mini-arm cannon and cool looking wolf-shaped black armor?

Best Anime In my opinion are:

Code Geass (Also Code Geass R2) <---- Mecha, action, pure awesome and emotional control! THis is the only anime that's ever made me shed a tear! BEST ANIME EVA!

Clannad (Also Clannad: After Story) <---This one made me happy and sad, at the same time constantly!

Death Note < Just epic.

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion

COde Geass takes place in an alternate universe where the American Revolution failed, Napoleon won his final battle, and other stuff changed. It takes place in our 2065, but their calendar says 2010 because they use a different calendar system... got really off track there... ANYWAY!!!! Code Geass is about a royal Prince of Britannia, Lelouch Vi Britannia, who rebels against the Britannian empire which rules 1/3 of the world. the other 2/3 are ruled by the Chinese Federation and the Euro Universe. The Mechas are called Knightmare Frames and come in different generations, in the anime the 4th-7th generation Knightmares are shown. in the manga all generations, 1st-7th, are shown, but I still prefer the anime... ANYWAY! Got off track again... Lelouch hates his father because he banished him and his younger sister Nunnaly after the murder of their mother which Lelouch blames his father for. His father being the Emperor. Now A mysterious girl named C.C.(Pronounced C2) gives Lelouch a power called Geass, the power of the king. It's an eye power that give Lelouch the ability to command anyone to do whatever he says only once. Throughout this series Lelouch causes great trouble for the Britannian empire and his Japanese friend, Suzaku, Joined the Britannian Empire!

Clannad: Clannad is about a girl named Nagisa and a boy named Tomoya, Tomoya is trying to help Nagisa re-establish the theater club in their school, btw, they are seniors in highschool. But they do go on weird side adventures and is really funny but can tug on your strings easily and make you want to cry.

Death Note: A boy named Light Yagami finds a notebook that causes people to die... need I say more?

Got another one for you:

Uzumaki (Spiral in English) | Horror genre

It's a story about a remote town that have been cursed by unknown force. Because of that, almost all the town resident suffer a strange phenomenon like everyone is starting to obsessed with spiral form, dead rising from the graveyard, people starting to turn into a huge snail, freak tornadoes rampaging across the town, pregnant woman starting to drink bloods, and other kind of strange and sick stuff that somehow related to the spiral.

Future warning: The ending is lame just so you know.

I suppose I could do that. Thanks for the heads up. It might be useful to add information such as:

Number Of Episodes/Chapters

Anime Or Manga (Some things haven't moved from Manga, and in the case of YGO's GX and 5Ds manga =/= anime (its just an example), this allows for multiple entries of the same series, but its more approriate when one differentiate from the other like in the YGO verse)

Naruto | Action

Our main characters are ninja... Wait, everybodys a ninja. Our hero Naruto Uzimaki has to go through many challenges with his friends, Sasuke Uchiha, Sakura Haruno, Kiba Inuzuka, Hinata Hyuuga, Shino Aburame, Gaara, Rock Lee, and many, many more...

Oh, and the first villian is Zabuza. And he has a huge sword.

Franken Fran | Horror

About a girl who operates on people, and will do anything, ANYTHING, to insure the patient gets out of it alive, one way or another. Oh, and one person she operates on gets turned into a factory, and gives birth to the flying spahgetti monster. And the main character's name is Fran. And she looks like Frankenstien. And according to TV Tropes, she's a lesbian.

Dragon Ball/Z/GT | Action

All great Animes/Mangas, about some guy named Son Goku, and his friends. And there are like 13 movies about Z. And Z is the best. GT is the worst. And they are all pretty awesome.

Basically, Son Goku goes around, beating up guys like this Midget Emperor Pilaf, a Alien named Piccolo, and this Saiyan named Vegeta. Turns out Goku is a Saiyan.

How About Hell Girl?

Hell Girl(Jigoku Shōjo)

Genre:Horror

Plot: Many different tales of tortured souls about people with horrible lives that find a website that allows them to take revenge on the one that makes their lives awful. The message is then sent to a girl known as Enma Ai, who comes to the person and explains the penalty of taking revenge on a human soul, when one person is cursed, two graves are dug.

My Comment: It sounds unoriginal and boring but it is actually a really good, short, anime! It's 25 episodes i think and it's something interesting to watch! not as good as code geass, though nothing is.

Well can you clarify Slam Dunk and Fruit Basket some more?

Fruit Basket | Slice of Life (School Girls?) genre

The series tells the story about an orphan girl who, after meeting with a member of Sohma family, learns that thirteen members of the Sohma family are possessed by the animals of the Chinese Zodiac and are cursed to turn into their animal forms if they are embraced (hug) by anyone of the opposite sex. (ex: A Tiger-possessed male Sohma WILL turns into a REAL Tiger if he hug by any female. And yes, there are some Dragon-possessed Sohma member.)

At the beginning of the series, it is funny and there are a lot of drama comedy. Near the end of the series, it was all sad and heart-breaking, tears dropping moments. The ending is super sad.

Slam Dunk | Sport genre

From the creator of Vagabond. About a delinquent high school students that found something worth beside fighting... Basket Ball. There are LOTS of comedy and the author step-by-step teach the reader about Basket Ball history, rules, gameplay, and other in a fun and funny way.

Very funny. You should read it.

• 5 weeks later...

I'd label Naruto as action and Dragon Ball as adventure. Naruto is just another one of those shows like Bleach that values action over plot, while a large part of the DB series is exploration.

Well you can say that, but DBZ's purpose is for fighting, as well as looking for the Dragonballs, but it has high anticipation in it so I out it in action. And Naruto, I'm not quite sure.

Archived