Yugioh: The Night Arbiters

guuu1234

I have never done this before and am honestly reluctant to post another yugioh story after seeing so many others on this site. But I've got to take the chance <_< . I'm hoping that by doing this, I will be able to improve my own writing/ imaginative skills while providing entertainment to other people as well as myself. So here goes, Yugioh! The Night Arbiters!

I think I should note that the story starts off from Blanes POV, then branches out to Third-Person POV. That is how the format for the story will remain, unless I decide to change that. In any case that I do, I will let any readers know.

Plot: It goes like this. Blane is a young duelists that loves the game of Duel Monsters. He plays to win, but doesn't mind losing for it will only make him a stronger duelists. That is until he meets the Night Arbiters, a shady group of powerful duelists with a goal that is just as mysterious as them. After facing off against one of them, he realizes Duel Monsters is more than just a game and decides to find out what they're really about. But he won't be alone, for his friends are just as talented as he is, and will travel the long road with him.

Setting: I probably don't need to explain this but at the same time I feel I need too. This story takes place with the 20th annual Battle City tournament. It decides who will be the next duel king and this is where fate has led Ryujo and friends. Here is where he fight for his very life, and realize just how deeply he cared for the game, and for his friends.

Characters:

Blane Raiken:

Personality: He's a very straight forward guy with a strong sense of right and wrong. He is a very strong duelists and one of the few to receive an invitation to Battle City from the Satellite District. He always duels for fun and never backs from a challenge, no matter how strong his opponent seems.

Deck: Uses powerful monsters known as the "Hidden Elemental". Other cards include the "Spectrum Elemental" and their evolved Synchro forms the "Hidden Elemental", and "Secret Elemental".

Ace Card: Catalyst Dragon

Dueling Style: Likes to set up the field with different monsters to allow for different combinations. Considers most moves before he plays anything but likes to get a feel of the opponents deck before setting up any counter-strategies.

Xavier Martin:

Personality: Is a nice person but is easily provoked. He never talks much but it's always a treat when he does. He duels sometimes recklessly unless pushed into a corner, then he duels calm and collected. He is a long time friend of Ryujo and also from Satellite.

Deck: possibly the only person in any yugioh story (including the show/manga) that uses a deck of monsters and nothing else consistently.

Ace Card: Ophiel, Cruel Fallen Angel

Dueling Style: Focuses on a beat-down strategy. Likes to swarm the field with monsters or crush the opponent with overbearing force, leaving no chance or time for the opponent to recover.

Scarlet Jackson:

Personality: Even though she's a generally nice person, she is much more tougher than Blane or Xavier. Some would consider here a tomboy of the sorts. Just like Xavier and Blane, she is also from the Satellite.

Deck: The complete opposite in every way of Xavier's deck. Uses Fairy-Type monsters but revolves around the "Archangels", her strongest monsters. Uses a healthy combination of Monster, Spell, and Trap Cards.

Ace Card: Dinah, Radiant Fallen Angel.

Dueling Style: Kind of combines the dueling styles of Blane and Xavier, but also chanbes up playing styles depending on the situation or duelist.

If my first chapter is welcomed with a good review, I will post the rest. If met with a bad review, then I will discontinue with this story and learn from my mistakes. Thank You very much.

[spoiler=Chapter 1: Battle City, Battle Ready]

I arrived at the New Domino City Duel Tower, with my two friends Scarlet and Xavier. We looked all around, at the crowd of duelist there. We had each received an invitation from Jet Wagnar, the current duel king. Everybody who got an invitation had also received a crystal like card whose uses are currently unknown.

“This is so exciting,” I said to Scarlet and Xavier.

“I guess it is Blane,” replied Scarlet. Xavier remained silent, he never really talked much outside of duels but when he did, it was usually serious. Just as I had registered that thought, the giant monitor atop the Duel Tower came to life, and the giant face of Jet appeared.

“Hello duelists from all over. Welcome to Battle City the Tenth. You are all here because you are recognized for your skill in Duel Monsters. As you may know, this tournament is held once every year and decides the new duel king. I have been king since the last Battle City and I look forward to keeping my title. “ This received a huge roar from the crowd, which was mostly challenges and disapproval.

“Now let me explain the rules. Each of you has one crystal card.” I took mine out and looked at it, as did many other duelists. “This card is required for entry into the finals. Each duelists must Ante card at the start of their duel, and the loser must give theirs up. You may ante cards, but only if both players accept them. Now, after a duelist has accumulated 8 crystal cards, come back to this tower, and place them into the door to gain entry into the finals. We will only accept 16 finalists and after there are that many, the preliminaries will end. But let me include that there is a five day period between the start of the tournament, and the time the finals begin. If there are not enough duelists in five days, then the tournament finals will commence with however many duelists there are for the finals, even there are only two.”

“As king, I would usually be guaranteed a spot in the finals, but for this special event, I will participate in the preliminaries as well. That means I will start off with the same chances as everybody else, and there is also a chance that I won’t even get into the finals. Now, all of New Domino City is your battle ground, so without further ado, LET THE GAMES BEGIN!”

A roar erupted from the crowd as duelists cheered as Battle City officially began. People had already started scattering and some had already started dueling. But New Domino City was huge, and that message was broadcast on every monitor in the city. That means that potential duelists were everywhere.

Me, Scarlet, and Xavier all stood in a circle looking at each other. Scarlet was the first to speak.

“This is it guys, a chance to prove ourselves, a chance to prove our decks, a chance to change our whole life,” she said.

“Yes, it is,” said Xavier.

“Then let’s make a promise? A promise that we will all met each other in the finals, a promise that we will try our best to win? No matter whom we battle,” I stuck my hand out and waited for the other two.

“You know, you are so lame,” said Xavier as he placed his hand into the circle.

“Ready or not, here I come Battle City,” said Scarlet.

“And so we go. 3, 2, 1, DUEL,” we all said as we broke away from each other, following our own paths, our own destiny. I knew then, and I’m sure that they knew too, that the next time we met; we will all be much stronger duelists, and much stronger enemies.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blane headed in his own direction, actually not even sure where he was going. He figured he would just walk around until someone challenged him to a duel or he saw someone that he wanted to duel. He kind of felt lonely leaving his friends behind, but he knew it would be hard for all of them to collect 8 crystal cards together. Blane, Scarlet, and Xavier have been friends since childhood. They laughed together, won together, lost together, and even cried together. They were inseparable, until now that is. While Blane was thinking about all of this, he bumped into a big guy by accident.

“Oh, I’m sorry. I wasn’t paying attention,” said Blane. The guy cocked a grin on his face and held up his duel disk.

“No, I’m the one who’s sorry. Sorry that I’m going to be the one to eliminate you from this tournament. I challenge you to a duel,” said the guy as his duel disk activated.

Blane smiled and said “I never back down from a challenge. Let’s duel.” Blane’s duel disk opened up and activated as well. They both drew five card but before they started, Blane asked for his opponents name.

“Hmph, it doesn’t matter what my name is. Just know that I’m going to be the one who defeats you,” said the guy cockily.

“Fine, then let’s go.”

“DUEL,” they both shouted at the same time.

LP Blane: 4000

LP Huge Guy: 4000

“Draw. I’ll start this show by bringing out my Hidden Elemental Crust Knight in attack mode (ATK: 1900). And I’ll end with two face downs,” said Blane His Hidden Elemental was a female warrior that had on brown, decorative robes.

“Alright, I draw, and summon my Abyss Feeder in defense mode (DEF :0). I finish with a face down. Go Blane, and creep to your doom.”

“Well se about that,” he said drawing a card. Why would he play a monster with zero defense? He must know that it’s going to get destroyed. And his face down really worries me. “Since I control a “Hidden Elemental” monster, I special summon Hidden Elemental Sylph from my hand (ATK: 1700).” She had an instrument in her hand and had on green

decorative robes. “Now, I normal summon my Hidden Elemental Core Defender in defense mode (DEF:2000). I Attack with Crust Knight.” She charged toward the Abyss Feeder as an earth like sword appeared in her, and she cut through his monster.“Direct Attack, Sylph.” She shot a gust of wind damaging his opponent.

LP Blane: 4000

LP Huge Guy: 4000>2300

“Since my Sylph successfully did damage to you while I control another “Hidden Elemental” monster, I get to draw a card. I end my turn.”

“My go. Now that it’s my standby phase, I activate my Abyss Feeders ability. Since it’s the only monster in my graveyard, I can special summon him by destroying one of your face down cards.” A hole opened up on Blanes side of the field as Abyss Feeder sprung from it, destroying his trap card and going over to his opponent’s side of the field (ATK: 1200). “Since it was a trap card destroyed, I have to discard a card from my hand,” he discarded the middle card “But that’s okay. You will see it soon enough. I summon Abyss Necromancer (ATK: 1800) and activate his ability. Since my life points are lower than yours, I discard a card from your hand, and special summon an abyss monster from my graveyard.”

Blane discarded a card of his opponent’s choice. “Now come forth Abyss Dealer (ATK: 2100). His effect activates, since my life points are lower than yours when he was special summoned, I can bring one abyss monster from my hand to field at the cost of 1000 life points (LP Huge Guy: 2300>1300). Come forth Abyss Shadow,” His Abyss Shadow flew into the air, turning into 1 star, while Abyss Feeder and Necromancer turned into 7 stars. “Rejecting the light of day, going only deeper into darkness, true fiends will reveal themselves, Synchro Summon. Light Cancelling Abyss Warlord (ATK: 2700).” It looked like a lion in silver and black armor, except incredibly dark and twisted by the shadows. It had a wicked dark blade, and a helmet with a gem in int.

“2700 ATK points,” shouted Blane.

“Massive attack, and incredible effect. You see, when he is Syncrho Summoned while my life points are lower than yours by at least 2000, I can destroy a face down you control and change a monster from defense mode to attack mode.” His Light Cancelling Abyss Warlord shot beam that destroyed his face down and pierced right through his Core Defender(ATK: 0), changing her to attack mode

“You’re now defenseless, with no face downs. Go Abyss Warlord, attack his Core Defender with shadow slashes.” His monster swung his sword and a many dark flashes flew across the field, cutting his Core Defender into pieces (LP Blane: 4000>1300). “Now Abyss Dealer Attack his Crust Knight with shadow fist.” His monster charged Crust Knight as dark energy swirled around his hand, punching a whole through her (LP Blane: 1300>1100). “You won’t last another turn brat. I end”

“My go. Draw,” 2900 points of damage in one turn, and he still hasn’t activated his trap card. I got to end this now. “I summon Hidden Elemental Torrent Magician (ATK:800). Since I control another “Hidden Elemental” monster, I can attack you directly with her, and gain life points equal to the amount of damage she inflicts.” His Torrent Magician formed a water whip and struck his opponent directly, bypassing his monsters. “I switch Sylph to defense mode (DEF:1200) and play two cards face down. I end my turn.”

LP BLANE: 1100>1900

LP HUGE GUY: 1300>500

“It’s time…time for me to end this duel. I activate my trap card Never Ending Darkness. I discard 2 cards in my hand, and I can grant a monster I control the ability to attack directly by decreasing its attack by 700. Go Light Cancelling Abyss Warlord (ATK: 2700>2000) attack directly for the game.” His monster flew towards Blane, bypassing all his monsters and readying the finishing blow.

“Wrong, I activate Prism Distortion Space. This card allows me to summon a “Spectrum Elemental” from hand, deck, or graveyard. I bring out Spectrum Elemental Saphrin the Brilliant (ATK:1400) from my graveyard and activate his ability, cutting your Warlords ATK in half,” Light Cancelling Abyss Warlord (ATK: 2000>1000).

“No matter, you still take damage. Plus, I gain life points equal to the amount you lost. I attack your Saphrin with Abyss Dealer,” His monster destroyed Blanes. I play a card face down and end my turn.

LP Blane: 1900>500

LP Huge Guy: 500>1500

“This is it, My turn,” Said Blane as he drew his last card if the duel. He looked at it and smiled, he couldn’t hope for a better draw. “I summon Hidden Elemental Flame Dancer (ATK: 1500). I equip my Torrent Magician with the Blade of Silver Seas equip spell card (ATK: 800>1300). Now, since it’s my main phase, I destroy one card on the field. I choose your face down,” His monster swung her sword as a silver water slash destroyed his opponents face down. “I attack directly with Torrent Magician,” His monster again attacked with a silver slash.

“Good try, but I’m still standing,” (LP Huge Guy: 1500>200) (LP Blane: 500>1800)

“Not for long. I activate my Flame Dancers ability. During my end phase, you take 800 points of damage.”

“NO,” Blane’s Flame Dance shot a fire ball at his opponent, winning the duel.

LP Blane: 1800

LP Huge Guy: 0

“I…I can’t believe it, I lost, and to a brat no less.”

“Don’t you ever underestimate me or my deck. But you were still a tough opponent, what’s your name.”

He looked at him for a second and then smiled. “The names Stephen and that was a fun duel,” he replied as they shook hands and gave Blane his crystal card. Stephen went his own separate way as Blane looked at his two crystal cards.

I knew this tournament was going to be tough, He thought to himself. But I never imagined that I would have had this much trouble with my first match. He looked up at the sky and smiled. The challenges I will face in the future, will really push me as a duelist.

[spoiler=Chapter 2: Running Isn't an Option]

Honestly, I had a lot of fun writing this chapter. Mainly because of how unique the deck is for Blanes opponent. Some probably already heard of cards like this but I have never seen a monster of this kind used before (except once by my friend ), or at least a whole deck based off the type. I tried to address some issues with my last story and I checked my grammar. Didn't find anything unusual, but nobody perfect and theres a 10/10 chance I missed something. I also did a card count and I'm 100% sure each player had the appropriate number of cards in their hands at all time. I wonder if anybody will be able to catch the foreboding/foreshadowing in this chapter.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After Blane had defeated Stephen, he figured it would be pretty easy to find someone else to duel. He was wrong! Those who had watched didn’t want to duel him, thinking they didn’t have the skill to defeat someone who beat Stephen. The sun started to set as Dusk settled over New Domino City and Blane had only got 2 crystal cards total!

He figured he had better check into a hotel before things got dangerous, then remembered something very crucial. He was in New Domino City now, not Satellite. Things never got out of hand there, thinks to security always being present. As he was thinking this, he heard a duelist yell. He looked around to see what was going on and saw a duelist on the ground, with his duel disk destroyed and a guy standing over him, sneering from his victory.

Is that all you got?” The man guy demanded. “It seems I, Hugo, was to mighty for you to handle. Since I was, then give me your Crystal Card and scram,” Hugo practically yelled as he kicked his fallen opponents duel disk and cards everywhere. The crowd was all whispering and muttering to each other about how cruel this guy was. Blane wasn’t having it.

“HEY,” Blane yelled. “WHAT ARE YOU DOING? HE ALREADY LOST, THERE’S NO NEED FOR YOU TO TREAT HIM OR HIS CARDS LIKE THAT.”

Hugo turned around, facing Blane with a look that was a mixture of disgust and excitement. “Exactly, He lost,” Replied Hugo. “If your not a winner, you’re a worthless, piece of trash loser. You suck, and your cards are worth even less.”

“Losing a duel doesn’t make someone a loser. Nor does it make their cards weak,” said Blane with a lot of conviction.

“Alright then, Let’s duel punk,” He said as he activated his duel disk. “Show me the strength of your ideals.”

“No. I won‘t duel someone that doesn't have enough common sense to respect the cards or other players, no matter how much I want to crush you,“ replied Blane as he gritted his fist and turned to walk away. As he did, Hugo threw a claw like machine that attached to Blane’s duel disk and forcefully activated it.

“This is! How did you get one of these. Are you from satellite?” asked Blane.

“As a matter of fact, I am. Now, just in case your not familiar with this little contraption. Let me explain it to you. It won’t let your duel disk go until one of us loses. And to add insult to the injury your about to receive, the losers duel disk is destroyed. So you have no choice but to duel me punk.”

“Well your pretty much right, so lets go. And by the way, my names Blane, not punk.”

“Whatever Blane” He said mockingly.

HUGO LP: 4000

BLANE LP: 4000

Hugo drew from his deck to start the duel. “I Play three cards face down and end my turn,” He said with a sneer.

“My go,” he said as he drew from his desk. Why play nothing but face downs. What’s he planning. I bet he wants me to attack, to fall into his trap. But I guess it’s better to get rid of those face downs early in the game. “I summon Hidden Elemental Thunder Spirit (ATK: 1900), and I bring out Hidden Elemental Sylph (ATK: 1700) since I control another Hidden Elemental. I attack with my Thunder Spirit.” His thunder Hidden Elemental charged at Hugo with incredible speed. But not face enough to stop his trap cards.

“I activate the trap, Tomb of the Forgotten Ancients. While I have no monster in my graveyard, I can discard a card to negate your attack, and switch all monsters you control to defense mode. Plus, I can bring out two Ancient Tokens for every monster switched to defense mode by this effect.” Two stone faced tokens appeared to his side of the field (DEF: 0)

“I play two cards face down, and end my turn,” finished Blane.

“Hahaha, My go. I activate my other face down, Rock Formation. While I have no monsters in my graveyard, I can special summon the trap monster Volcanic Rock Beast (ATK: 2500). Now his ability activates, allowing me to stun a face down card you control.” Stalagmites came from the ground, keeping Blane from activating his face down. “And to add insult to this injury, I can attack one defense monster you control for every monster I control with 0 defense. I attack with Volcanic Bomb.” His monster launched two volcanic rocks in the form of balls, exploding on contact, destroying both monsters on Blanes side of the field. “The pains not over yet. You see, during my end phase, all face up cards on my side of the field are destroyed. Plus I get to set 2 cards from my hand AND you take 500 points of damage for each destroyed card.”

“I end my turn,” sneered Hugo. The field erupted as all face up cards Hugo controlled was destroyed and Blane was hit with three ball-shaped volcanic rocks. He then played two cards face down.

HUGO LP: 4000

BLANE LP: 4000>2500

“Time to turn this around.” He uses a trap deck, which seem to revolve around having no monsters in his graveyard to activate the effect of his deadly trap cards. So all I have to do is…”I activate Card Destruction.”

“I activate my trap, Deadly Replacement Illusion. This allows me to send all cards from my hand to the bottom of my deck (only had one card) and add two trap cards from my deck to my hand.” His deck ejected two cards and he added them to his hand.

“But you still discard those cards,” said Blane curiously.

“Oh, I know. I know,” he replied ominously.

Both Hugo and Blane discarded two cards and drew two cards. Having Hugo purposely add traps to his hand just to discard them really changed up Blanes analysis of his strategy. Why would he add traps to his hand just to discard them. Maybe he had monsters and didn’t want to add any too his graveyard, but that’s too much of a long shot. He choose what he was going to send, he has some kind of plan.

“I summon Spectrum Elemental Hysteria the All Knowing (ATK: 1900) and attack.”

"I activate my trap, Necklace of Discord. By discarding a trap from my hand, I can negate the attack of a monster you control.”

“I end my turn.” This isn’t the first time he’s discarded cards from his hand. He’s trying to fill up his graveyard with traps. Assuming that all the cards he discarded are traps. But the question is, what for?

“I draw, and activate the trap card Forgotten Ancient Zephyr, since I have no monsters in my graveyard, I can bring out my trap monster Gale Rock Beast Zephyr (ATK: 2000), and I activate his ability. Your monsters attack gets cut in half and adds it to mines until the end phase(ATK: 2000>2950). Attack, whirlwind buster.” His monster started swirling wind around his mouth, and launched a high pressure ball at his spectrum elemental.

“I activate Spectrum Backblast, allowing me to negate your attack.”

“Not bad, but you won’t last much longer. I end.”(Rock Beast Zephyr: 2950>2000).”

"Alright, I draw,” and Blane smiled as he did so. I activate my trap card, Prism Distortion Space, Allowing me to bring back a monster from my graveyard. I choose my Hidden Elemental Sylph. Now I activate Hysteria’s ability, allowing me to change her attribute once per turn. I choose wind, and as an added bonus, I can increase her level by one for every monster on the field that shares an attribute with her.”

Rock Beast Zephyr (WIND)

Hidden Elemental Sylph (WIND)

Level Increase: 2>4

“I tune Hysteria with Hidden Elemental Sylph,” His Sylph jumped into the air, as Spectrum Elemental Hysteria turned into four stars, circling around his monster. Then, the four stars went into Sylph, transforming her into four stars as well, and moving into a straight line as a brilliant flash of light streaked through the sky. “The stars will align, giving omen to a greater power, giving release to a greater entity, Synchro Summon Catalyst Dragon (ATK: 3000),” Said Blane as his ace monster appeared in a shower of sparkles and truly looked majestic. “I activate his ability, by removing from play Sylph, he gains her effect. Now, due to Sylph’s effect, I can equip another hidden elemental monster from my graveyard to him, and gain that cards effect as well. I choose Hidden Elemental Thunder Spirit.

“I attack with Catalyst Dragon.”

“I activate Necklace of Discords ability again. I discard a card, and your monsters attack is negated.”

“Since he has my Thunder Spirits ability also, he can attack twice in one battle phase. Go, Disaster Strike.” His dragon shot a strong blast that destroyed his opponent’s rock beast. “Since I dealt battle damage to you, I get to draw a card from my deck. I finish with a face down.”

HUGO LP: 4000>3000

BLANE LP: 2500

“Alright I draw, and release my Necklace of Discard to activate it’s effect. I send a card from my hand to the graveyard, to draw a card from my deck. If it’s a trap, I can activate it. If it’s a spell or monster, it goes to the bottom of my deck.” He drew a card and both saw that it was a monster. He sent it to the bottom of his deck. “Now I activate the only trap left on my field, Trap or Die. Its name holds true, because I guess the type of card on the bottom of my deck, and If I guess right, I can bring out my trap monster. If I guess wrong, I take 300 points of damage for every trap card in my grave.”

“But thinks to Necklace of Discord, you already know what it is,” said Blane.

“Of course! you didn’t think I would leave it all to chance would you, I guess a monster.” Then, a whole opened up out of the ground, as a monster rose out of it. “Say hello to my Trap Beast Uriel (ATK: ???).” It looked like a cross between a giant dragon and a giant bear, having on decorative armor and had the color of a trap card.

“His attack depends on the number of traps in my graveyard times 300. I have 11 traps, so that makes his attack 3300. Go, destroy his dragon,,” his Trap Beast launched at Blanes dragon, cutting into it.

“I activate his ability, removing Hidden Elemental Torrent Magician from play so he gains her type and effect. Now I activate Celsius Frost Bite, to keep all water monsters I control from being destroyed by battle or card effects. Plus, I take no battle damage thanks too Torrent Magician’s ability.”

“Good move, I end my turn.”

HUGO LP: 3000

BALNE LP: 2500

“My go. I activate my monsters ability, and remove Hidden Elemental Core Defender from play to gain her ability and type. No I equip my Catalyst Dragon with Blade of Shaking Earth. He gains 500 ATK and 1000 DEF (ATK: 3500). Destroy his trap beast, seismic wave.” His dragon hit his tail on the ground, causing an earthquake that destroyed his opponents trap beast. I end my turn.

“I Activate my Trap Beasts ability, if he is in my graveyard during your end phase, I can place a trap card face down from my deck.” A card got ejected from his duel disk and he played it face down. “Now I draw.”

LP HUGO: 3000>2800

LP BLANE: 2500

“I already destroyed your strongest monster, you have no hope of winning,” commented Blane.

At that comment, Hugo smiled. “What made you think that was my strongest monster. I activate my trap card, Forgotten Trap EmperorAriel. Since I have no monsters in my graveyard and at least 10 trap cards there, I can bring out the Trap Emperor Ariel.” A dragon in red, decorative battle armor came from the sky, looking very old, and deadly. He gains 400 ATK for every trap in my grave, and there are twelve. (ATK: 4800).”

“Now I activate his ability, By sending a trap in my hand to the bottom of my deck, I can destroy a monster on the field.” He sent his trap to the bottom of his deck, and destroyed Catalyst Dragon. “I attack you directly for game.”

“I activate Negate Attack, to cancel your attack and end the battle phase.”

“So you survived for one turn. But that won’t help you for long. I end.”

Blane had only one monster in his hand and spells and traps that worked only for specific monsters he didn’t have at the moment. He knew what card he needed for the win; he knew what card he needed to draw. This is it. Everything comes down to this one card. Please give me what I need.

“I draw,” and Blane looked at his card and shouted “YES! I summon Spectrum Elemental Vela the Vibrant (ATK: 0)”

“What is a monster with 0 attack going to do.”

“It’s going to bring me the win. I activate Vela’s ability, I can use a trap card from your graveyards as if it was my own, and I choose Necklace of Discord. So I send a trap from my hand to the graveyard, and draw a card from my deck, and if it’s a trap, I can activate it.”

“But what trap could possibly bring you victory now, your situation is hopeless.”

“Unlike you, I believe in my deck, and I know it’s going to pull through for me when I need it most. I know that the card I draw next will be a trap, I know that it’s going to be the card I need to win this duel.”

“We’ll see about that punk.”

Blane drew his final card of the duel, in what felt like hours, but was only seconds. He didn’t even look at the card, put showed it to his opponent and said what it was. “I activate the trap card, Descending Lost Star.”

“Impossible,” shouted Hugo.

“From your reaction, I guessed right. With this I can bring back a Synchro monster from my graveyard, but the monster loses one level and their defense becomes zero. I bring back Catalyst Dragon, and I tribute him to special summon Unholy Abyss Dragon. Now I activate Raid on the Royal Palace. We each draw until we have six cards in our hand. I skip my battle phase and do nothing in my main phase two, so I can activate my dragons ability. During my end phase,I send all cards on my of the field and in my hand to the graveyard. You take 500 points of damage for each sent this way. Add the 6 cardsdrew, with the 2 monsters on my side of the field, that’s 500 times 8. A total of 4000 points of damage.”

“No!”

“Yes,” said Blane smiling. His Unholy Abyss Dragon sent out spike extensions from his body, piercing every card on the field and in each player’s hand, then exploding, dealing damage to Hugo.

LP HUGO: 2800>0

LP BLANE: 2500

Hugo slumped to the ground as his life points reached zero and his duel disk exploded. He looked completely defeated and didn’t look like hearing anything. That was further reinforced when he threw his crystal card at Blane and ran off. Blane picked up his crystal card and even though he won, he didn’t feel good about it.

Dueling is supposed to be fun, thought Blane. Seeing as his Hugo’s duel disk was destroyed, he no longer can participate in the tournament. I guess I can sympathize went him though. There are so few Satellite duelists here, and If I couldn’t participate in the tournament no more…

Blane shook his head, not wanting to thank about something like that. He still had three crystal cards, and this kind of fun won’t be over for a long time. At least that’s what he hopes, but life always has a way to grind hope into the dirt, and then into nothingness.

NOTE: Again, I really enjoyed making a trap deck and had fun coming up with names and effects. Even if it seems like Hugo discarded more cards then he had, he defiantly didn't. All cards were presented and accounted for, but I do seem to favor discard effects for some reason :P. Next chapter, I will be introducing more main characters and Ryujo will come face to face with his first Night Arbiter. oooohhhhh :lol: I hope you enjoyed this chapter and thanks for reading.

[spoiler=Chapter 3: Midnight Crisis]

It was extremely cold. That was what stood out the most in the everlasting darkness. A chill so cold that it hurt his very bones, that it affected his very soul. Blane wandered around the darkness, all since of time and direction completely out of whack. He put his hand in front of his face, and couldn’t even make out the outline of it. He was aware of himself moving, but it wasn’t him controlling his movements. As if things couldn’t get any weirder, the darkness suddenly twitched.

It started to look like a breathing chest. As Blane focused, he started to hear a steady rhythm. Bah bump was what he heard. It was incredibly faint at first, but started to grow in rhythm and frequency. Bah bump, bah bump, bah bump. As the beating sound increased, so did the in and out swelling of the darkness around him. It pushed on and off of his body, as if choking him, then deciding to change its mind. Bah bump Blane heard again, except it was different now than it was before. The heart-beat like sound was far away at first, but steadily got closer to him. Now, the sound was right in his ear, almost as if he it was to someone’s chest. The Bah bump seemed to be in his head and echo off his skull.

As the sound increased, it completely drowned out all of Blane’s thought. He pressed his hands to ears, as if that would stop the sound. He closed his eyes and screamed. Blane awoke in his hotel room, screaming really loud and panting extremely hard. He placed one hand on his chest, trying to steady his own hearts rhythm. He wiped the sweat that was dripping from his forehead with his other hand.

That, thought Blane, Was a strange dream. What was up with that darkness? It felt so cold and…alive. It was moving with that heart beat like sound and was just creepy. Blane shivered despite of how warm the room was and got up. He picked up his duel disk and left the hotel that was located a few blocks down where he had beat Hugo. He figured that he had better check in after getting his latest win and went straight to sleep when he found his room. Blane wasn’t expecting to wake up until the morning, but he didn’t mind a little late night stroll. Who knows, he may just find a duelist.

Blane started walking around and didn’t find anybody. Well, he didn’t find anybody that pecked his interest. It was around one in the morning and a nice night. There was a crescent moon and felt like it was 76-80 degrees. He saw many couples out but no duelist. He kind of felt silly walking around what a duel disk at so late at night, and contemplated going back to the hotel, until he heard something that gathered his interest.

“If you think you’re so tough, why don’t you duel us both then?” said someone. Blane started off toward the voice. From what it sounded like, they were talking about a 2 on 1 duel. Blane always wanted a fair challenge, plus it may be the only action he would find all night, duel wise that is. Blane rounded a corner and saw that the three peoples duel disks was already activated. There were two twins on one side, and a guy in a trench coat, sunglasses, and a hat that covered his hair on the other. The duel didn’t start yet, so Blane ran up beside the guy in the trench coat and activated his duel disk.

“You didn’t think you two would have a handicap duel now did you. This is going to be a tag duel, so bring it on if your ready,” said Blane.

“You know, I can handle them by myself. There’s no need for you to get involved,” said the guy in the trench coat, who sounded really familiar to Blane.

“You probably can, but this may be the only duel I find tonight. I’m not leaving. By the way, do I know you? Your voice sounds real familiar.”

The guy smiled. “Don’t worry about that, you’ll find out real soon,” he said oddly.

The two twins had been listening in and had been waiting for Blane and his partner to finish talking. “Now that you two are done, we can start this duel. But first you must accept the ante. This is a tag duel, so we’re going to double up. That means two crystal cards per person, do you accept?” said one of the twins.

“Of course,” said Blane.

“I do too,” said his teammate.

“Alright,” said the other twin, the one right in front of him. “Let’s duel.”

TWIN TEAM LP: 8000

BLANE TEAM LP: 8000

“I’ll start it off, said the twin right in front of the guy in the trench coat. They both looked the same, so Blane identified them as Twin #1 And Twin #2, based off their current dueling positions. “I summon Royal Aegis Shield (0/2000), in defense mode. Now I activate One for One, I send a monster card from my hand to the graveyard to bring out a second Royal Aegis Shield in defense mode. Usually you can’t attack any of my monsters with defense less then or equal to Royal Aegis Shield, but while two is face up on the field, you can’t attack either one. I end my turn.”

“Finally, my turn,” said Blane as he drew a card. A lockdown strategy, thought Blane. There isn’t much I can do, so…”I summon Hidden Elemental Crust Knight (1900/0). I play one card face down and end my turn.”

“My turn to dish out some pain.” said Twin #2. “I summon Golem Dragon (200/2000) in attack mode. Now I activate the spell The Thing in the Mirror. I can special summon a second Golem Dragon from my deck. Though this ones effect is negated this turn, not that it matters much. I end my turn.” A second rock like dragon appeared onto the field, this one was in defense mode though.

Blane’s partner had been observing the duel, and smiled as he drew his card. “I summon Twilight Swordsman #1 (0/0).”

When the twins saw that, they both looked at each other and burst out laughing. “What’s a monster with zero attack supposed to do.”

“This is going to break your combo,” said the guy and again, Blane had the feeling that he saw him somewhere before. “I activate my monsters ability, allowing me to take a spell card from your graveyard if you have at least 2 monsters more on your sides of the field then I do.” His swordsman held out his hand as a holographic image of The Thing in the Mirror appeared in front of him.

Ahhh, I see. Since this is a tag duel, we share a complete side of the field. They have four monsters total, while we only have two, thought Blane.

“Now that he activated his ability, his name is treated as Twilight Swordsman #2, until the end phase that is. Now I activate your spell card, to bring out the actual Twilight Swordsman #2 from my deck.” A rift opened up in the air as a swordsman with black hair and a black cloak came out of it. “Now, I tune my two monsters together.” Twilight swordsman #1 turned into 3 stars as the other jumped into the air. The stars surrounded the monster, and turned it into 5 stars. They aligned as a flash lit up the street corner. “Hear the call of your master, heed to words of your king. Show the world true power, Synchro Summon, Emperor Backlash Dragon (3000/2500).”

A pearly white dragon with six wings descended onto the field. It looked fearsome and ready for some destruction. Upon seeing this awesome monster, Blane finally remembered why his partner seemed so familiar. “That card…only one person has that card. You’re Jet, the current Duel King.”

Jet looked at him and smiled saying, “I said that you would find out soon enough.” Blane and Jet’s opponents were shaking in their boots, realizing who they were dealing with. “Back to the duel, I remove my Twilight Swordsman #1 in my graveyard from play, to force all monsters you control into attack position. Plus they lose 500 Attack.” The spirit of Twilight Swordsman appeared onto the field and ran through all of the twin’s monsters, weakening them and forcing them into attack mode.

GOLEM DRAGONS ATK: 200>0

AEGIS SHIELD ATK: 0>0

“But what’s the point in that,” shouted twin #1.

“Yeah, you still can’t attack any of our monsters,” said the other twin.

“I activate my dragon’s ability,” said Jet. “By giving up my monsters right to attack, I can force all attack position monsters you control to attack my dragon. So since I’m not attacking you, your monsters ability doesn’t activate.”

“NO!” shouted both of twins. All monsters that the twins controlled charged toward the angelic dragon. They didn’t stand a chance. The mighty dragon sent out a flash of powerful light that engulfed all the monsters that dared attack it (not that they had much of a choice). Four monsters with zero attack got destroyed, inflicting a total of 12,000 points of damage to the twins. Jet had one turn killed two players, using only four cards. Talk about overkill.

TWIN TEAM LP: 8000>0

BLANE TEAM LP: 8000

Jet walked up to the two twins and congratulated them on the duel. They didn’t take it well but still gave him the four crystal cards. Jet then walked back to Blane and to his surprise, gave him all of them.

“No way, I can’t take these. I didn’t even do anything. It was you who won the duel,” said Blane.

“I would take them myself, but I already got eight crystal cards. If you really are a great duelist, then I will see you in the finals. That will prove to me that you could have beaten those two by yourself, just as I did,” replied Jet. Blane looked at him and took all the crystal cards.

“I’ll see you in the finals Jet, and you will regret making it easy for me to get there,” said Blane. Jet smiled as he turned his back on Blane and walked away. Blane put his crystal cards away and started back toward his hotel. He was walking around for about 10 minutes when he realized that he had no idea where he was at. Being from Satellite, he didn’t know much about New Domino City. He figured he would just walk around until he found his hotel. That wasn’t the best idea he’s come up with.

He continued to walk around for about 20 more minutes and still wasn’t any closer to finding his hotel than he was when he first started. He sighed when he suddenly felt a chill. He shivered and turned around to see some guy in a black cloak. He didn’t know who he was, but Blane had seen enough movies to know that a chill, followed by the entry of some strange guy meant trouble. He should have run.

“Are you Blane Raiken,” said the guy in a deep, dark voice.

“What’s it to you,” replied Blane defensively.

"My name is Cerberus, and I’m here to see if you’re what I’m looking for.”

“What you’re looking for. Keep it moving pal, no interested.’ Cerberus then held up a crystal card in his left hand, and revealed an activated, dark colored duel disk on his right arm.

“You know what I mean…on second thought, maybe you don’t. Why don’t you duel me Blane, show me just how strong you are. My superiors are…interested in.”

“Interested in me, why?”

“No need to feel alone, there are numerous targets that I have to get to before Battle City is over. You were just next up on my list.”

Targets, this guy make it seem like he’s some kind of assassin. And why before battle city is over. Blane activated his duel disk. “I’ll duel you, but if I win, you have to answer all my questions.” demanded Blane.

BLANE LP: 4000

CERBERUS LP: 4000

Cerberus grinned and chuckled to himself. “If you win, though dueling me isn’t going to be the same as dueling those amateurs you faced before. This duel is going to be on a whole nether plane, so to speak.” Darkness started to approach from behind Cerberus and Blane noticed that darkness was coming from all directions. It eventually settled in around them and Blane saw that it seemed to stretch on forever, even though that shouldn’t be possible.

Blane glanced at Cerberus and noticed that his eyes were glowing in the darkness. He drew a card to start the duel and heard a scream echo off from somewhere. He also noted several things about the darkness around him. It seemed to breathe in and out, as if it was alive. What he noticed the most though was that it was extremely cold, a chill so cold that it hurt his very bones, that it affected his very soul.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As I was writing this chapter, I got a good sense of how the rest of the stroy will come out. Before, I was just writing the beggining, with no real sense of the middle or ending. After finishing this chapter, I finally got a good grasp about how I want all of this to end, and how I would like the story to get to that ending. Back to this chapter, I'm happy I finally got to a shadow duel in the story. though the charcthers won't be calling them shadow duels (wayy overused), it is basically one. For these kinds of duels, I would like to focus heavily on detail. I think this is the best way to make a shadow duel intersting. Focus on what the charcthers think, feel, and experience. Then add a few other elements of terror in there to top it off. I will really enjoy these kinds of duels. What do you want to see from a shadow duel that you never see from the show, or what would make a shadow duel more intersting for you?

Right then, although your writing appears great at a glance, with further reading I found a few grammar and spelling errors. A quick reread on your part should find most of them, not to mention spell check. As for the story, to me at least, it's kind of boring. The duel was so-so, nothing special but was probably the most exciting part of the chapter anyway. (One problem, although I didn't keep count, but it seemed like Stephen discarded more cards than he actually had in his hand.) The characters themselves aren't very good at all. It seems like Blane is a Yugi clone, "Never backing down from a challenge," having his friends put their hands in a circle, etc. And I won't say anything about Xavier or Scarlet, because they had like three lines each, where some of those lines didn't even contribute to the conversation.

Now, although I appears I'm being a little harsh (which I am, now thinking about it), but I really just want this fanfic to approve, because we need better fanfics on this forum, and yours has the potential to be so. Good luck with the next chapters.

Thinks for giving me your opinion and after thinking about, I agree with you. The main reason I started this was to improve my own skills in the first place. So people being harsh or truthful when they need to be is what I need. I already started a second chapter, so any ideas for a way I can make the story more exciting? This is mostly for others entertainment after all, so why not incorporate what people want to read in my story. Thank You for your much needed constructive criticism Erinyes.

The second chapter read more like a draft. There were numerous spelling and grammar errors, which you should have been able to see if you proofread it before posting it here. The duel was pretty good, but overall this chapter seemed like a filler chapter. Blane is still a Yugi/ Jaden/ Yusei knock off.

Another problem I had was the exploding duel disks. Wouldn't that hurt the person wearing the disk to the point where they would need a lot medical treatment?

Hopefully you step it up a little for chapter three. At this rate, I won't read past chapter four.

As I was writing this, I was originlly going to have each main charcther duel 7 times, get 8 cards, and go off to the finals. But I figured that would get boring qucik, so I've been trying to come up with ways to kind of skip around the 7 duels and I've come up with a plan. I tried to make Blane his own unique charcther, but that in itself is hard for me. But I'm not willing to give up so easilhy.

As for spelling an dgrammer, I do try my best to find all corrections. I guess I've got to give it 120% if I want to keep people intersted. Though spelling shouldn't be much of a problem If i take it slow, grammer has always been my weak point in any kind of writing.

As for the xploding duel disk, I should have explaiuned about that a little more. What I met by them exploding was that they only gave off a small explosion that destroyed the inside mechanics of the duel disk, not giving off a big explosion.

As always, thaks for your constructive critiscm Erinyes, and I will try to do bette rin the future.

Chapter 3 is finally up. For this chapter, I tried hard to correct any and all errors I found, but as usual, that's any errors I found. Chances are, someone will pick up on something. If you do, can you kindly point them out so I can learn from my mistakes for future chapters. Can you also tell me your opinion of the story thus far. Thanks and enjoy :rolleyes:

Just finished reading the first chapter, and I gotta say, it's pretty good so far. There are simple errors in their though in spelling and grammar though, so if you have the time, you should redo those errors. But all in all I'm liking it so far :) Just wondering why the title is The Night Arbiters, DONT SPOIL IT FOR ME xD

Just finished reading the first chapter, and I gotta say, it's pretty good so far. There are simple errors in their though in spelling and grammar though, so if you have the time, you should redo those errors. But all in all I'm liking it so far :) Just wondering why the title is The Night Arbiters, DONT SPOIL IT FOR ME xD

Thanks for giving me your input. My grammar seems to be the worse thing about my stories but I'm pretty sure theres less mistakes throughout the other chapters.

Now this story is called The Night Arbiters because............................................

• 3 weeks later...

Archived