Twilight sucks?

.Frostpaw

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote name='techi' timestamp='1282821749' post='4567200']
I believe the only Problem here is that a book got to Famous and when everyone looks at something the inevitable is going to happen. If you dont understand what I mean by that than I will give you a example.

- Say you are back in school and For some reason you have a art class, everyone in the class had to draw a picture that was "Unique", Some kid stands up with a drawing and almost immeadiatly you may hear some kids snicker or laugh or insult the kids drawing, after the teacher has the kid explain his work the teacher goes around the room to ask a few kids for there opinion on the drawing. Depending on the kids there may be a few reasonable opinions and there may some half-assed ones like "It sucked" or some other generic response you may get from your average hater. When the teacher gets to you depending on who you are you response could be almost anything.

P.s.
+ Rep if u agree :3
[/quote]
For your sake, I will argue. <3

My dear friend, everything is influential to one person or another, what one may conceive as fool hardy another will be influenced and inspired. As a short example and relating to your post at hand I will use the Twilight book as a part of my demonstration. The Twilight book was and is popular simply because the writer was clever and although the context and vocabulary of the book was horrible, not to contradict my point, it was horrible to me, it appealed to a variety of people such as "lonely hearts" or those who love a romance read. Furthermore, much like a spoon to a magnet, it attracted female Vampire fans and as it did so word spread about "how good" this Twilight book was and attracted more and more female fans and inspired and influenced them.

The reason why this book doesn't appeal to so many male members on this site is because the Twilight book was intended mainly for those who enjoy a bit of a romance read, who being are mainly females. So to sum up this whole long winded process I will tell you, the book was not successful because it was good or because the inevitable was happening, it wasn't based on what kind of person that certain character is that is reading, it's about the writer knowing her target audience and dragging them in by the heaps.

On a side note just to contradict people who said "Vampires don't f***ing sparkle, they die!!!"; as said earlier this is a romance read, therefore the writer isn't exactly going to have gore and horror in the book, more so to build up romantic and beautiful imagery in ones mind, also Stephanie Mayers or whatever her name is wanted a bit of teen drama in her book, therefore giving them faggoty teen problems.

If you all really dislike the book that much go out, buy or borrow a copy and burn it rather then making me listen to your faggoty emo opinions on it. KAY! ^_^

[quote name='Globe Trotter' timestamp='1282830997' post='4567429']
For your sake, I will argue. <3

My dear friend, everything is influential to one person or another, what one may conceive as fool hardy another will be influenced and inspired. As a short example and relating to your post at hand I will use the Twilight book as a part of my demonstration. The Twilight book was and is popular simply because the writer was clever and although the context and vocabulary of the book was horrible, not to contradict my point, it was horrible to me, it appealed to a variety of people such as "lonely hearts" or those who love a romance read. Furthermore, much like a spoon to a magnet, it attracted female Vampire fans and as it did so word spread about "how good" this Twilight book was and attracted more and more female fans and inspired and influenced them.

The reason why this book doesn't appeal to so many male members on this site is because the Twilight book was intended mainly for those who enjoy a bit of a romance read, who being are mainly females. So to sum up this whole long winded process I will tell you, the book was not successful because it was good or because the inevitable was happening, it wasn't based on what kind of person that certain character is that is reading, it's about the writer knowing her target audience and dragging them in by the heaps.

On a side note just to contradict people who said "Vampires don't f***ing sparkle, they die!!!"; as said earlier this is a romance read, therefore the writer isn't exactly going to have gore and horror in the book, more so to build up romantic and beautiful imagery in ones mind, also Stephanie Mayers or whatever her name is wanted a bit of teen drama in her book, therefore giving them faggoty teen problems.

If you all really dislike the book that much go out, buy or borrow a copy and burn it rather then making me listen to your faggoty emo opinions on it. KAY! ^_^
[/quote]

Thank you for argueing my point, and I really Agreee with your explanation of the sparkling vampires. Sadly, I dont think you unsdertsood witch Issue I was trying to Explain(Sorry If im Wrong). What I Put up there was to tell the thread owner that its impossible for everyone to share the same opinion, That in fact there are and will be haters.

What I believe you took my post for was an explanation for why the book became famous. Again, sorry if im wrong. And thank you again for doing this.

[quote name='Zandaa Roaisu' timestamp='1282689259' post='4562192']
Vampires die when they are in the sunlight[/quote][quote name='Blue eyes + Wynn' timestamp='1282794977' post='4566587']
Vampires as described by originals!: die imefiatly in sunlight[/quote]Congratulations, you fail vampire mythology forever. Have a nice day.

[quote name='Ice' timestamp='1282689372' post='4562199']
When do Vampires express their feelings and act like emotional teenagers?
[/quote]Let The Right One In. Touhou Koumakyou ~ Embodiment of Scarlet Devil. Y'know, only the two best vampire stories I've ever heard of. (Sort of wish Eli were actually female, though.)

@OP: 'Cuz people on the internet are stupid and insecure. Welcome to the Internet, where nobody cares about you. :D
I, for one, only contest it when people start imbibing its ideology, which is both Mormon and heinously sexist and thus anathema to me. But that's a political thing. I suppose most people would flame it because... well, they can't stand seeing people liking something they don't.
I also contest it when, in the process of supporting it, they put down Let The Right One In/Touhou Project/Harry Potter/The Historian/something else that I like. Then I raeg. That doesn't happen so much with Twilight as with Naruto and its ilk, though (HARUHI > SHIKIEIKI > EVERYTHING GODDAMMIT).

I don't respect people's opinions if they are not the same as mine, I respect the person is some cases, but if they like twilight, I most often don't. I personaly think Twilight is decent, but as been overhyped by annoying fangirls, so I will be labeled a fa**** if I say I like it, but it still sucks arse hard.

[quote name='Leo Fin' timestamp='1282719211' post='4563575']
[b]Not enough blood for me, they are vampires for heavens sakes, at least show some intestines, like the movie "30 days of night." yummy.[/b]
[/quote]

That's exactly what i think, and that movie is awesome x D

You can't really just use one source, oh and your link isn't working.

I don't dislike people who like twilight, just those that try to defend it's version of vampires. Granted I've spent the last 2 weeks reading books with Vampires in, which seems to work closer with traditional vampires, although with a modernized hierarchy and them 'mainstreaming'. Blood is a real given with Vampires, and in the series of books I'm reading so is decapitation and head bowling.

-My opinion on vampires-
Vampires are leaches of the Monster-kingdom. They dont want to hold your hand or even look you in the eyes. The only thing the should ever want to do is use you as a sippy-Cup... Nothing more...

-Not my opinion, More of a fact-
People who spend all day trash talking things that they barely even understand are the worst kind of people to ever live...

-My solution-
They rot in hell.

[quote name='Yin' timestamp='1283013580' post='4574999']
... oh and your link isn't working.
[/quote]

Took it out. Note to self, make sure the link works before posting it.

[quote name='techi' timestamp='1283014491' post='4575060']
People who spend all day trash talking things that they barely even understand are the worst kind of people to ever live...
[/quote]

Ehh... [i]Twilight[/i] just doesn't interest me, but I'd rather not have anything to do with it because of the rabid fanbase. I really don't wanna get looped in with the psychos who would commit Murder 1 and do other truly horrible things, like ruin someone's life, all because the victim(s) do(es)n't like [i]Twilight[/i]. That's what the link in my previous post was to, a list of recorded incidents in which users on that site had encounters with the aforementioned psychos. A few of which were almost killed for voicing their opposition.

[quote name='The Endless Warlock' timestamp='1283015070' post='4575108']

Ehh... [i]Twilight[/i] just doesn't interest me, but I'd rather not have anything to do with it because of the rabid fanbase. I really don't wanna get looped in with the psychos who would commit Murder 1 and do other truly horrible things, like ruin someone's life, all because the victim(s) do(es)n't like [i]Twilight[/i]. That's what the link in my previous post was to, a list of recorded incidents in which users on that site had encounters with the aforementioned psychos. A few of which were almost killed for voicing their opposition.
[/quote]

Have you said anything stupid like "this sux" or "Twilight is gay" Without actually bothering to atempt to read it?

If not then I sont see where we have a proplem here...

[quote name='techi' timestamp='1283014491' post='4575060']
[/quote]Except murderers... and rapists... and psychopaths... and terrorists... and fanatics... and child abusers... and evil dictators...
But they are the reason democracy fails.

But I really don't get why anyone would bother bashing something if they don't know what it is. Know your enemy, right? And how would you support your argument without quoting the book? That said, I've read [i]Twilight[/i] and [i]Breaking Dawn[/i] cover-to-cover (give me all those hours back!), so I think I have a right to argue against it. :D

I hate Twilight because it's a horrible book.

It's just an opinion of course, but I could back up my reasoning of why I think so.

I honestly don't care about her interpretation of vampires- as a writer in the Fantasy genre, she has the right to interpret mythological creatures however she so desires. Vampires sparkling in sunlight is odd, to say the least, but it really doesn't harm the narrative. Often, I find people who complain about the sparkling are the ones who are the least informed- as, trust me, there is a lot more to hate Twilight for than the vampire's reaction to light.

For the record, I don't dislike genre romance. I'm rather fond of genre romance. While it isn't my favorite type of novel, I can sit down and enjoy it whether it happens to be the main focus of a novel, or just a smaller B-plot. I don't have anything against emotion, mushy sentiments or the development of relationships between characters.

I still hate Twilight. Its romance is bland and uninteresting, painful to read, and distinctly unnatural. The action is often just as bad, and even when it becomes tolerable, it's still never that great. Each book could probably be cut to half the size just by reducing the purple prose, and you still feel like what actually got accomplished could have been reduced to about five chapters or so per novel. It wouldn't be too difficult to reduce the entire Twilight Saga into a single book, and it would probably be a lot better for it too.

I've never seen the movies, so I can't comment on them. Friends tell me they were just as bad as the books though, if not worse, and I'm inclined to believe them given the reviews on Rottentomatoes.

Archived