Xbox Kinect or Playstation Move

Mrs Murray

21 members have voted

1. 1. Kinect or Move?

• Kinect
    • Move
    • Can't decide

Move is basically a better version of the Wii Remote, and Kinect basically a better version of Eye Toy... seriously, with that software lineup, nobody needs either of those, regardless of the console they're using.

As often stated, without the "Killer App", those things are nothing but toys. And as far as I can see, neither console has one, unless you count Dance Central, which got some decent reviews. It's still not my kind of thing, if I want to make a fool out of me, I stick to Singstar and Guitar Heroes.

In the future, this might change, but as it is, there's nothing that somehow would get my attention. Let the casual gamers have fun with it, I'll stick to my controller for now :rolleyes:

In all honesty, I'd prefer the Wii over both the Move and Kinect, and that's not the inner Nintendo-fan inside me speaking.

Out of those two options, however, the Move has a lot more going for it, and Kinect seems to be a pretty gimmicky trial hardware anyways. I've met die-hard Microsoft fanboys that bash Kinect while I haven't seen many arguments against the Move.

[quote name='Dark' timestamp='1290745733' post='4810694']
In all honesty, I'd prefer the Wii over both the Move and Kinect, and that's not the inner Nintendo-fan inside me speaking.

Out of those two options, however, the Move has a lot more going for it, and Kinect seems to be a pretty gimmicky trial hardware anyways. I've met die-hard Microsoft fanboys that bash Kinect while I haven't seen many arguments against the Move.
[/quote]

Yeah, because you can't argue much against Move. It [i]is[/i] the Wii Remote, and nobody complains about that anymore because they know that it works. Kinect on the other hand, while not completely new (Eye Toy), does something that most of the people either don't know or have forgotten about. And it has some interesting concepts, it has proven that it works in several tests... it's just that the core gamer community doesn't care because there's no game to play with it...

The casuals on the other hand buy this thing like crazy, Microsoft just stated that they aim for 5 Million Kinects until the end of the year... 5 MILLION! And it looks like they can really do it, because they pumped so much money into this project, especially for advertising, something where Sony miserably failed for Move.

I think that Kinect will be more succesful on the long run, and if it get's supported just enough, especially by third-party developers, it could ultimately prove to be the better peripheral. But those are a lot of "ifs" and "coulds", you just can't how this will develop from now on.

I understand the appeal towards casual gamers, but considering that the Wii currently holds a majority leadership in the "casual gamer society", I see no reason to appeal to those gamers when you have enough business flipping out fps games every other day. :/

Although I agree that the Move has had little advertising for it, since I've seen a total of two tv ads for the Move, and like twelve for Kinect.

I have Kinect, and when I got my XBox with Kinect when it was first released, I had my heart set on Kinect. Seriously .. why buy Move when you can pick up a whole Wii bundle for half the retail price? And most people prefer having full freedom of their whole body, a controller in the hand is a let down, especially for those "grabbing" games. Pun not intended .. lol .. but all in all, the Graphics are superb on both systems, Kinect is selling a bit faster due to 360 being the more popular console at the moment, and because of the games. Why buy a sports game when your not even using your whole body. I'll give you an example. This morning I was down at one of the technology stores in town, and there was Kinect set up on one T.V, and Move set up on the other. I found it quite interesting to watch two middle aged men waltz into the store and have their attention grabbed by these systems. I was quite surprised, they didn't seem the type, but anyway, after the Kinect man was getting set up by one of the assistants at the store, the other started playing Move. The one with Kinect started getting into it, and the one on Move enjoying it more. I observed from around the corner, not wanting to give the impression that I was being nosy. Now they both had their time, and the man on Move went over to Kinect after maybe 5 minutes? The man on Kinect was having so much fun that he kept slamming into people while he was kicking a ball on the screen, a massive smile on his face. He finally got off, and the Move man got on Kinect, and was having the time of his life, he went from using his controller to kick a ball on a certain game on Move, to getting the party cranking on Dance Central. Ironically, the same thing happened at the other stores I visited. But all in all, they were only 2 men, and they had the same preference. It's up to personal choice, and I prefer Kinect, since more and more games are coming out with Kinect options, eg. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, where you can use Kinect to cast spells.

360's the better system, IMO.

I'd like to mention that the motion control on Kinect isn't all that defined, either. I've been playing on the Wii, and I do understand that Kinect and Move are both upgrades to the motion control (Kinect without a controller, but still motion control), but it hasn't been perfected either. I'd love to see how a game like Harry Potter, where flicks of the wrist and hand motions must be really sensitive to cast the correct spell, would work on Kinect.

[quote name='Dark' timestamp='1290877189' post='4813427']
I'd like to mention that the motion control on Kinect isn't all that defined, either. I've been playing on the Wii, and I do understand that Kinect and Move are both upgrades to the motion control (Kinect without a controller, but still motion control), but it hasn't been perfected either. I'd love to see how a game like Harry Potter, where flicks of the wrist and hand motions must be really sensitive to cast the correct spell, would work on Kinect.
[/quote]

I haven't tried the Kinect option on the game yet, due to not having the required space in my room. That is the problem, I have only played Move once and I haven't gotten used to the required space, so something like Kinect is annoying for somewhere like a bedroom, unless your room is at least 8x8 and you only have a couple of things in your room. It's all about space with Kinect, not sure about Move though.

[quote name='Ecliptic Dawn' timestamp='1290848823' post='4813007']
I have Kinect, and when I got my XBox with Kinect when it was first released, I had my heart set on Kinect. Seriously .. why buy Move when you can pick up a whole Wii bundle for half the retail price? And most people prefer having full freedom of their whole body, a controller in the hand is a let down, especially for those "grabbing" games. Pun not intended .. lol .. but all in all, the Graphics are superb on both systems, Kinect is selling a bit faster due to 360 being the more popular console at the moment, and because of the games. Why buy a sports game when your not even using your whole body. I'll give you an example. This morning I was down at one of the technology stores in town, and there was Kinect set up on one T.V, and Move set up on the other. I found it quite interesting to watch two middle aged men waltz into the store and have their attention grabbed by these systems. I was quite surprised, they didn't seem the type, but anyway, after the Kinect man was getting set up by one of the assistants at the store, the other started playing Move. The one with Kinect started getting into it, and the one on Move enjoying it more. I observed from around the corner, not wanting to give the impression that I was being nosy. Now they both had their time, and the man on Move went over to Kinect after maybe 5 minutes? The man on Kinect was having so much fun that he kept slamming into people while he was kicking a ball on the screen, a massive smile on his face. He finally got off, and the Move man got on Kinect, and was having the time of his life, he went from using his controller to kick a ball on a certain game on Move, to getting the party cranking on Dance Central. Ironically, the same thing happened at the other stores I visited. But all in all, they were only 2 men, and they had the same preference. It's up to personal choice, and I prefer Kinect, since more and more games are coming out with Kinect options, eg. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, where you can use Kinect to cast spells.
[/quote]

Nice wall of text. Pretty impressive.

OT: Nintendo Wii has mastered the motion control frontier and should be left with it (It's all it has left). The others seem gimic-ish.

Move controller is stick with a ridiculous glowing ball on the end.

Kinect camera is stupid, you have to be an exact distance from it at all times...

Wii is the best console... I don't care that its graphics aren't like PS3, but they are still pretty good. Also, Virtual Console and GameCube games, SD card, EVERYTHING.

I think Kinect is better.

But what is the point of that plastic ball on Move. My friend has Move and even he thinks it's not that good.

Kinect looks best but Dance Central feels more robotic and not like your properly dancing.
Kinect Adventures doesn't look very good either but most of the other games look great and I'm looking forward to future projects like Forza and Star Wars Kinect.

Move is much better imo.

From what I've seen of Kinect it's game line up is crap and you just look like an idiot when you play it. The move on the other hand has a better line up (from what I've heard it still isn't great) and you can play it much like you play the Wii.

[quote name='zwataketa1' timestamp='1290892057' post='4814115']
I think kinect, because it's got the BRAND NEW Sonic Free Riders GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]
I don't see sarcasm tags. Really that game is one of the worse games made this year.

[quote name='Mrs Murray' timestamp='1291496401' post='4829265']
Sonic Riders looks fine.
Ok, all you've got to is bend left and right or use your hands as a steering wheel. But to be honest who really cares.
[/quote]
From the reviews I've seen the game is pure crap. It could have been good, but every where I look the people say that the controls killed it.

Yeah thats exactly what I wanted to do when I got home from school, wave my arms around like an idiot? What sitting down and pressing buttons like normal? NO! that would be STUPID![/sarchasm]

TBH all I want to do is sit down, and press some buttons with my thumbs to make charecters move, seriously I'd rather play pong then wii fit (But I actually LOVE pong so thats not a good example)

[quote name='Flame Dragon' timestamp='1291494690' post='4829174']
Move is much better imo.

From what I've seen of Kinect it's game line up is crap and you just look like an idiot when you play it. The move on the other hand has a better line up (from what I've heard it still isn't great) and you can play it much like you play the Wii.

I don't see sarcasm tags. Really that game is one of the worse games made this year.
[/quote]
I praise this person. ^^^

Seriously, what kind of idiot would jump around doing idiotic stuff?

Trust me, Kinect is gonna be a downfall in the future, you could easily break any surrounding items, you will be too focused on the game to pay attention to your surroundings.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived