I summon _____, in defense mode!

In the anime they have the game mechanic where you can decide whether or not you wanted to normal summon a monster in either attack or defense mode.

My question is what would happen and what could be abused by this rule if it was implimented in Yugimonz today?

My thoughts: It would help some cards that work best in face-up defense position but unless the card benefits from it, almost all others would just be set in face-down defense position.

What do you think about this ycm? Would it change anything?

The only cards that immediately spring to mind would be cards with higher defense than attack, that still benefit from being face up. Stuff like Red Gadget (higher defense than attack) and Royal Magical Library (should your drawing combo fall short). Off the top of my head, I can't imagine anything being superdy duper broken.

[quote name='RobotBowtieOfDestruction' timestamp='1294784765' post='4928053']
inb4byakkmakesapostaboutanobscurecardthatisactuallymadegoodbythislikehealwaysdoes.
[/quote]

Polar Star Beast Tanngnjostr isn't obscure.

Final Attack Orders is, though. :\

It would be a little bit better for that purple dragon whose name I forgot:

[b]"Tribute this face-up Defense Position to Special Summon 1 Level 3 or lower Dragon-Type monster from your hand, 1 from your Deck, and 1 from your Graveyard."[/b]
^or something like that... IDK.

This rule would not have a negative effect in the game (other than making useless a couple cards that no one uses anyways)
It would be fun to try.

[quote name='RobotBowtieOfDestruction' timestamp='1294790954' post='4928382']
My post was to say that Byakk would discover such combos though. And he did.
[/quote]
Tanngnjostr + Final Attack Orders?

I'm sorry, you must have confused "broken" with "a decent combo requiring a terrible and situational card and a fair bit of deck dedication".

So Tanngnjostr + Guldfaxe gives you access to level 7 synchros. That makes it slower then Instant Fusion + most tuners and the world isn't over because those two cards exist.

[quote name='Dr. Cakey' timestamp='1294789201' post='4928255']
Actually, ever since a few episodes into DM Season 2, nobody's Set anything ever...it would be nice if face-up Defense was possible. Would definitely be better, I think.
[/quote]
Yugi Set a Marshmallon against Bakura in the Egyptian Arc.

[quote name='Naturia Cat' timestamp='1294794656' post='4928535']
As long as we can still set.
[u][i][b]Yeah, wez like ourz rykoz! [/b][/i][/u]
Zexal Stop that.
[i][u][b]Why should I, everyonez should know the power of the holy dogz![/b][/u][/i]
[/quote]

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/XtremeKoolLetterz

[quote name='PikaPerson01' timestamp='1294793784' post='4928501']
Tanngnjostr + Final Attack Orders?

I'm sorry, you must have confused "broken" with "a decent combo requiring a terrible and situational card and a fair bit of deck dedication".

So Tanngnjostr + Guldfaxe gives you access to level 7 synchros. That makes it slower then Instant Fusion + most tuners and the world isn't over because those two cards exist.
[/quote]
I didn't say the word broken. I said good. :S you said broken.

Archived