I summon _____, in defense mode!

here the things, from face down, we get benefit from protecting our cards from cards that target face-ups, also, it make your opponent uncertain if your face down monster have high Def or cannot be destroy or can destroy once flipped (but same goes to us) and you would want your opponent to attack your face down monster, a monster with 2700 and your opponent take damages from that. the reason monsters are face-up in the show, they mostly focus on monster destroying monster than spell, trap and effect destroying monsters. it in much more of a number for monster destroy monster in the show than in real life and our experience, we are the one who mostly destroy monsters by card effects and let our monster attack directly a lot. if we were playing by 4000 life points, for sure the konami will ban more numbers of cards that are more of game enders and so it wouldn't be fair.

on the topic, i think the rule should allow the face up defense position exist for some cards that need that situation, it would not make much different it just speed up a slight, but as well keeping the facedown rule along with face up part. but the only thing will be totally unfair is face-down attack position that will be like a sneak attack lol

Saber Hole more playable? Normal Summon a Darksoul in face-up Defense and set a Saber Hole, cheap player's Solemn Warning. Apart from that, I don't see it changing much. People would still tend to Set most of the time anyway because they don't want their opponent knowing exactly what you've got really early game.

Archived